I will be living overseas for a while so I switched my data roaming off and connected myself to a Wifi; however both my bbm's or emails wouldn't come through. So I switched data roaming on for a minute and then switched it off again- this time the wifi was working but it is displaying 'gprs' will that charge me, and also i set it to 2G rather than 3G affriad that 3G will bill me... am I correct?

Many thanks

Shifstar
    08-26-12 03:29 PM
    Do you have a BIS/BES plan for where ever your living?

And when on wifi do you get the BB icon next to the wifi icon or not?

Sounds like you may be lacking the service books if you can't connect to RIM via wifi.
    08-28-12 11:56 AM
    Shiftstar it will be easier for us to help you out if you include your device and carrier details in your CB profile. Anyway... assuming you have an OS 7 device, your mobile network options should be set like this for BIS-over-WiFi:

Data Services -> ON
    While Roaming -> OFF

This will allow your phone to connect BIS over Wi-Fi, while preventing all of the data charges that would result from BIS and WAP access over foreign data networks. You would get charged for foreign data access regardless of whether it's using 2G, 3G, or 4G protocols. However, setting the Network Mode to 2G will greatly increase battery life.
    08-29-12 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD