Connected cars are the next mobile frontier, and BlackBerry has a head start
    More up-to-date and current

Unlike todayís cars, future connected cars should have the potential for a more modular approach to tech. This would allow dealers to keep new cars updated before they are sold, and for buyers to enjoy systems that are more current, at least for the three to five years they are likely to keep the new car. Today, you can have brand-new cars on the lot with entertainment systems that are over seven years old. A significant upgrade may have occurred during that modelís run, but the cars may have been manufactured up to 18 months earlier, and the hardware that goes in at assembly is likely much older than that. Nobody wants an out-of-date entertainment system, and used cars would also be more valuable if they could be easily updated.

Is Blackberry QNX the magic bullet?

Microsoft is having a tough time with operating systems this decade. It lost mobile to Android and iOS, and now appears to be losing automotive entertainment systems to BlackBerry. Both losses are connected to a Microsoft strategy that was too tied to the old desktop PC platform, and the fact that there are very few who want a desktop experience in their cars.

While these automotive solutions will work with a variety of phones, they should work best with BlackBerrys, which are also using the QNX OS, providing that company with an interesting strategic advantage. Within two years, I expect weíll see the full strength of that advantage begin to emerge, and the end result will be a vastly improved user experience for car owners who also own BlackBerrys. Itís going to be a long two years, but I think I can now see a light at the end of the tunnel, and Iím pretty sure it isnít a train this time.

Read more: Connected cars are the next mobile frontier, and BlackBerry has a head start | Digital Trends
    Shanerredflag and Acumenight like this.
    05-18-13 04:10 PM
    A good article and an exciting future if future. I hope that the BlackBerry brand becomes directly linked to these developments. The keep moving campaign and the connection with Mercedes are great starts. Hope to see "keep moving with BlackBerry " in consumer lines such as Ford, GM and all others real soon.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 05:19 PM
    It would definitely be nice to see this technology in less expensive vehicles for sure. And people keep new cars for 3-5 years these days?? Wow. I've been driving for about 18 years and I'm only on my 3rd vehicle and plan to keep my current one for another 5 years or so. I guess those of us that can't afford new cars that often can slum it with stuff like this: Ca-Fi Infotainment | Android
    05-18-13 06:50 PM
    Cool. But I don't understand how QNX can be an advantage for BlackBerrys since from what I have seen it is an open system as far as the car stuff goes. A manufacturer can use QNX for the OS and then just as easily integrate it all to iOS or android right? Or is that not the case?

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    05-18-13 06:59 PM
    Cool. But I don't understand how QNX can be an advantage for BlackBerrys since from what I have seen it is an open system as far as the car stuff goes. A manufacturer can use QNX for the OS and then just as easily integrate it all to iOS or android right? Or is that not the case?

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    Absolutely your correct, but....native (as you know) does have advantages...be it ease of implementation or otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    W Hoa likes this.
    05-18-13 07:36 PM
    Driving an Audi with QNX. Loving the park assist, media and a fabulous navigation system due to QNX. Thinking I should get a QNX license plate soon.
    05-18-13 07:52 PM
    How does a qnx powered vehicle good for bb? I don't see it being a huge market as most of these are standard these days and tech will advance without BlackBerry regardless, it's inevitable.

BlackBerry has an identity problem, that's clear. They show off a Bentley that only a small pct of the population can afford - right there gives it a perception that only the rich can afford. Anyways doesn't matter as this is mostly irrelevant in mobile tech.

If you're going to show off tech, first create a vision on how BlackBerry sees the future of tech and mobile computing or tech.

Posted via CB10
    05-18-13 10:54 PM
    Absolutely your correct, but....native (as you know) does have advantages...be it ease of implementation or otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    Yes in terms of lead time on integration, maybe. Of course BlackBerry could always pull the Microsoft trick and put in hidden APIs. Lol.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    Last edited by southlander; 05-19-13 at 09:10 AM.
    05-18-13 11:30 PM