Check this out.

A Website for the Older Gamer - 2old2play - Using ATT's 3g for Xbox Live

(Taken from Link)

What do you do when your internet goes out and there is no other free wireless in sight? Use your phone of course.

I recently saw a post in the Halo forums regarding the possibility of using a cellular 3G network to connect to Xbox LIVE and play Halo 3. I decided to test this by tethering my Blackberry Bold to a laptop and enabling ICS (Internet Connection Sharing). In theory, you could set up a 360 in your car and pwn some noobs cruisin� the 95 with some beetches in da back. Here are instructions on how to set this up alongside my results over Halo 3 matchmaking.

1. Install the Blackberry Desktop Manager software onto your PC.

2. Create a new standard modem under �Phone and Modem Options� in the Windows Control Panel. Plug in your Blackberry Bold, run the Desktop Manager software, under Phone and Modem Options, click on the Modems tab, and �Add�.�. The Max Port speed should be 115200, under Diagnostics, you should see Hardware ID �mdmgen�. You should also be able to �Query Modem� to get a response. On the �Advanced� tab, enter the following string under �Extra initialization commands:�

AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","wap.cingular"

3. Create a new network connection. Call this �AT&T Blackberry�. Click on �Network Connections�, and enter the �New Connection Wizard�. You�re going to set this up Manually, the number you�re dialing is *99#. You�re going to leave the user name and password blank. Once you�ve built the dial-up connection, right-click and go to �Properties�. Under the advanced tab, enable ICS and you�re sharing the home networking connection with the �Local Area Connection�. Now click on �Settings�. You�re going to build all ports necessary to run Xbox LIVE per Microsoft. Under the name or IP, you can just type in your laptop or desktop�s network computer name.

4. Note: your Blackberry Desktop Manager MUST BE RUNNING to connect via dial-up to your Blackberry modem. Once your Desktop Manager is running, connect using your new Dial-Up connection. Your Blackberry should now say �Modem Mode Enabled� on the main screen. Open a web browser and try a website to make sure you�re connected to the internet.

5. Plug your Xbox 360 Ethernet cable into your Ethernet jack on your PC. You should now have two connections going on your PC � one for your Blackberry and one for your Xbox. Test your Xbox LIVE connection using your System Settings on your Xbox 360 dashboard. I�ve found that my NAT is always Moderate while tethering to the Blackberry. Once you�re connected to LIVE, good hunting!

Halo 3 Test Run

I found I was able to accept a game invite, voice chat and find a game in Matchmaking relatively quickly. It took a very long time to load the DLC map variant in matchmaking, so be patient! Once loaded and the game started, I (killthrash) was good to go. About 3 minutes in, I found some choppiness, but after 1 minute of chop, it started to run smoothly again. I put the game in my file share, it�s Team BRs on Ghost Town titled �AT&T 3G� in slot 1.

(editor's note: We're fairly certain, after a brief consultation with our lawyers, that Killthrash's little software fix will void the warranty of you 360, your Blackberry and your PC, that it violates any number of standard lease and condo co-op agreements, that it allows trojan horses into your system that will stream cash to killthrash's offshore bank accounts and marks your address with a pheromone that will lead tribes of flesh eating zombies to your door during the impending apocalypse. Please use at your own risk and don't sue us).
    05-26-09 04:46 PM
    I wonder if this might work on tmobiles 3g network
    05-26-09 06:30 PM
    How about for Verizons?
    05-26-09 06:33 PM
    i think that my blackberry is amazing. and so does my husband. the sad thing is is that he is so addicted to it that he is always on it and never puts it down. we both have the strom, i just know when to put it down. who would have thought that it would have become so addicting.
    05-26-09 07:41 PM
    Pretty slick I don't own a 360 nor do I play Halo, but the idea of possibly doing something like this on the PS3 rubs me the right way.
    06-03-09 10:42 PM
    Color me impressed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-09 02:04 AM
    I had heard of this but was told the lag was pretty bad.

06-04-09 02:20 AM
    you know I was thinking...

after reading this

if someone has wireless its also more then possible to just use your laptop with wireless to get out of having to by the wireless adapter for your 360
    06-04-09 03:07 AM
    How about for Verizons?
    I had the verizon air card for about a year and decided to attempt to play xbox live with it. I got everything set up and the lag was absolutely HORRIBLE (halo 3) needless to say I became addicted to xbox live..lol..and dumped the air card and got some cable internet...so if I am correct the 3g internet on the phone is the same speed as the air card..I believe the reason behind this is the way the internet is sent and recieved. The signal must be sent to a cell tower and then returned with proves to be highly latent.
    06-04-09 10:09 AM
    I used to run halo servers on a t1 connect and it seems peoples upstream capabilities a the biggest cause of lag the download for most is fine but you need alot of upstream bandwidth.

06-04-09 10:28 AM
    I used to run halo servers on a t1 connect and it seems peoples upstream capabilities a the biggest cause of lag the download for most is fine but you need alot of upstream bandwidth.

the minimum connection speed for a lag free xbox live experience is 256kb/sec downstream and 128kb/sec upstream...the lag come from the latency in the connection. A tethered blackberry on verizons evdo network can connect with speeds conciderabley higher than those required for the xbox live. The signal has to travel to the tri-cell towers and return to the phone which causes for a very latent connection. Quote taken from xbox customer support: Due to latency issues with many wireless networking solutions, wireless connections to Xbox Live are not currently supported. If you have other Xbox concerns, please feel free to write back. We take feedback about Xbox and our Customer Service very seriously and review customer comments daily. We are working to make Xbox the best gaming system for you.

Sincerely,
    Arthur
    Xbox Customer Care Team

Speeds with my tethered blackberry storm:

06-04-09 05:34 PM
    the minimum connection speed for a lag free xbox live experience is 256kb/sec downstream and 128kb/sec upstream...the lag come from the latency in the connection. A tethered blackberry on verizons evdo network can connect with speeds conciderabley higher than those required for the xbox live. The signal has to travel to the tri-cell towers and return to the phone which causes for a very latent connection. Quote taken from xbox customer support: Due to latency issues with many wireless networking solutions, wireless connections to Xbox Live are not currently supported. If you have other Xbox concerns, please feel free to write back. We take feedback about Xbox and our Customer Service very seriously and review customer comments daily. We are working to make Xbox the best gaming system for you.

Sincerely,
    Arthur
    Xbox Customer Care Team

Speeds with my tethered blackberry storm:

faster connection is always better..

but a steady connection is important as well.

this is why many people claim that DSL is better for gaming such as myself

being a avid multiplayer gamer over the years
    DSL was much more solid for ping then most of the cable connections I was on
    06-04-09 07:47 PM
    I must warn you, o2 in the UK will charge you for using your BB as a modem.

I used it as a modem for normal surfing and was shocked to find a bill for �200 (about $400ish) even though I have an unlimited data plan!

I argued with o2 and cancelled my direct debit until they agreed to waiver the charges as I was never told that there was a charge for "thethering" your BB (even though you can use an iPhone without charge on the same plan!)
    06-17-09 06:04 AM
    This is a funny read. When I moved, before my cable was installed, I tried this using a VZ Curve, and it worked perfect. this was almost a year ago.
    06-17-09 07:25 AM
    Can this be done with Verizon and the storms??? Would be cheaper then cable
    06-17-09 08:16 AM
    I am scared to try though seeing that it will lag too much.
    06-17-09 08:19 AM
    I am scared to try though seeing that it will lag too much.
    06-17-09 08:19 AM
    Can this be done with Verizon and the storms??? Would be cheaper then cable
    This is NOT a replacement for a landline broadband connection. I would highly suggest you dont try this as a permanent solution.
    06-17-09 08:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD