Hi everyone! I am trying to set up my wifi on my curve 8530. I was reading the complete wifi guide on here but it didn't mention this part. I am at home and the scan picked up my linksys router. I clicked on it and it says "the wireless router supports wifi protected setup. To connect using a PIN (which your blackberry will generate) click next". I'm not even sure if this is a step I need to do but when I click on next is says provisioning wifi profiles...enter this PIN into your wireless router. I'm lost! Sorry but I am new to this. I think I need a personal BB trainer....lol. Thanks in advance. I love this site!!!!
    06-30-10 07:20 AM
    What type of wifi protection you have on the router. Have you connected a laptop recently.. Maybe entered a WEP key on the laptop to connect. You want to do the same for this connection...

More info please.
    06-30-10 07:27 AM
    You need to log into the configuration GUI for your router (from a computer on your network) and add the PIN generated from you blackberry to the wireless setup. Sorry I can't be more specific, but just *how* to do this is dependent on the type of wireless router you own. The router address is usually 192.168.1.1
    06-30-10 07:30 AM
    and consult your wireless router manual for the defualt password for the router when you go to log in. It may just be admin, or password. (reccomend changing).
    If you dont have the manual you can google it as well.
    06-30-10 07:48 AM
    Ok so I think I'm connected and here's why I think....1. It say linksys home (typed in home in the profile) right above the time and date on my home screen on my bb. 2. In connections wifi box is checked to the left and in green it says linksys home and then a green check.

yester18....I have no idea what type of protection I have on my router. I do know we don't enter a security code whenever we connect from our laptops. And yes, there are 3 laptops in the house.

Pete......I have no idea what GUI means. Hmmmm, this is so pathetic that I don't understand this stuff!!! Frustrating as heck. How do I find out what type of router I have?

So what about what I mentioned above about being connected? Thank ya's and please no shaking of your heads cause I may be an ***** when it comes to this stuff, I wasn't born with the technical gene
    06-30-10 07:52 AM
    and consult your wireless router manual for the defualt password for the router when you go to log in. It may just be admin, or password. (reccomend changing).
    If you dont have the manual you can google it as well.
    We don't log in, I'm guessing that's really bad too! Thank you!
    06-30-10 07:55 AM
    Thanks kelly! I think I did. When you get to the part where bb provides you with a pin and the clock started, that's when I just selected the blue highlighted back button because I didn't know what I was doing. By doing that I believe I was able to connect.
    06-30-10 08:34 AM
    Hi everyone! I am trying to set up my wifi on my curve 8530. I was reading the complete wifi guide on here but it didn't mention this part. I am at home and the scan picked up my linksys router. I clicked on it and it says "the wireless router supports wifi protected setup. To connect using a PIN (which your blackberry will generate) click next". ...
    You need to log into the configuration GUI for your router (from a computer on your network) and add the PIN generated from you blackberry to the wireless setup. Sorry I can't be more specific, but just *how* to do this is dependent on the type of wireless router you own. The router address is usually 192.168.1.1
    Ok so I think I'm connected and here's why I think....1. It say linksys home (typed in home in the profile) right above the time and date on my home screen on my bb. 2. In connections wifi box is checked to the left and in green it says linksys home and then a green check.

yester18....I have no idea what type of protection I have on my router. I do know we don't enter a security code whenever we connect from our laptops. And yes, there are 3 laptops in the house.

Pete......I have no idea what GUI means. Hmmmm, this is so pathetic that I don't understand this stuff!!! Frustrating as heck. How do I find out what type of router I have?

So what about what I mentioned above about being connected? Thank ya's and please no shaking of your heads cause I may be an ***** when it comes to this stuff, I wasn't born with the technical gene

The security your wireless router uses is wifi protected setup, as you mentioned in your initial post. A lot of newer routers default to this type of setup, but I usually prefer more tradional WEP or WPA security, but no use getting into all that here on this thread.

GUI or "graphical user interface" is the control console you can log into to change your router's settings, and as I mentioned, you can usually get there by typing "192.168.1.1" in your web browser on a computer on your network (some require IE), and entering your router's password (consult documentation). From there, you can change the router settings and/or customize your wireless network. I'm guessing this is where the PIN would need to be setup. The brand name/model of router should be printed on the device, so providing that may help others help you if necessary.

If you are connected to wifi, your network SSID (name) should be displayed on your BB screen AND the wifi icon should be white, indicating that your BB device has received an IP from the router and has access to the Internet via wifi.
    06-30-10 08:48 AM
    Thank you everyone. It's clear that I was connected without having to do all that. The router name was displayed on my bb and the wifi icon was white.
    06-30-10 05:40 PM
    As mentioned above I would most definitely secure your internet connection at home.. If not people can jump on since it's open and use your bandwidth..
    07-01-10 09:37 AM
    shamskhanafghan
    02-02-14 11:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD