I have read alot of diferent threads here of people using the garmin gps application on the storm. however when i go to the the garmin store to purchase it the site says not for use with verizon.

so does it work with verizon or no. is this message old and storm is unlocked gps or is it something with verizon that makes it not work
    12-31-08 01:02 PM
    it works with the storm
    12-31-08 01:31 PM
    It works perfectly fine with the Storm, but will not locate you in doors (unlike VZNav).
    12-31-08 01:33 PM
    12-31-08 01:45 PM
    Thanks all. ive been emailing back and forth with garmin support because I got an activation code for it but i dont see anywhere to actually download to activate. so now they are looking into the matter and i have a feeling they will tell me it wont work because its verizon and verizon is unsupported according to them
    12-31-08 02:10 PM
    I have it on my storm.... works great (and I'm on Verizon).
    01-01-09 01:02 AM
    Go to the above posted link and go through the buying process. During the process you will be asked for your carrier and device model (9530). You can elect to buy and get an activation number (will be emailed to you) or activate on a trial basis.

It works very much like a basic Garmin GPS unit. If you have been using Google Maps, it requires more steps to perform some functions. If you want to check out hotels in a specific city or area of a city it's a bit more difficult, or was for me. It really wants to calculate a route from where you are to where you want to go. To make it do other things requires some menu manipulation and several steps. Other than that difficulty it works great on my Storm on Verizon. I believe the Storm is the first phone on Verizon with the GPS unlocked so that is probably the confusion.
    01-01-09 08:50 AM
    For those that are using Garmin GPS App I have one quick question.

If you go to your contacts, select a name with an address, click the BB button and select "Get Directions To ..." will the Garmin App start and take to the address without copying and pasting the address to the Garmin App?

I am not a big VZ Nav fan, but I use this feature all the time. I have a couple stand alone Garmin units and like the software (other than paying for the updates which I understand is included with the mobile version).
    01-01-09 11:27 AM
    It works perfectly fine with the Storm, but will not locate you in doors (unlike VZNav).
    It finds me inside my house just fine. I'm not sure if it's GPS or aGPS, but it works...
    01-01-09 02:42 PM
    Yes you can pull the address from the contacts and it goes from there. You have to set a GEO location and then it verifies the address and brings up a list of the available address to associated it with. Which I believe is just making sure the address is correct I assume. Maybe someone else can verify that at all.
    But I just went to the app and selected one of my contacts and picked his work address to go to.
    01-01-09 02:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD