I am planning on getting the Curve 8130 and I am very confused about the telenav gps stuff! One of the main reasons I am getting a smartphone is for the GPS feature (not a traveler..just get lost very easily!), but I wish I could pay PER USE and not monthly...I am pretty sure this is not an option right? Do you all use the telenav or do you download something else? Turn-by-turn is important...do the apps you download offer turn-by-turn? Thanks so much for your help...I am so confused lol
    06-16-08 09:11 PM
    ahh sorry i meant the Curve 8310.. i have at&t
    06-16-08 09:13 PM
    I don't know about at&t but with sprint you need a data plan. At least I found it impossible to figure out how to use GPS without one. I assume this has something to do with how BBs work. There are GPS apps that have no fees to use. With sprint there is sprint navigation which is free with certain plans or has a fee if you don't. They also provide links to other GPS apps that can be used for free as long as you have data service.
    06-17-08 03:11 PM
    I don't know that phone model but there are a number of applications that are free and offer turn-by-turn - some more detailed than others. But those do require a data plan as they need access to data to grab an initial route and update the route in progress. There are also some apps that can be used without a data plan but those require you to download maps in advance of your trip so you have the coverage area already on the device. I'm not sure those can do turn-by-turn.
    06-17-08 04:41 PM
    I know for palm OS there is mapoplis or something like that where you download maps. There is a time limit for use if you want the maps for free. But then can be placed on the palm again to get more time. Its handy if you don't GPS a lot. Unfortunately I don't think they have a BB version. But this may help in locating an app that works without the need for data service.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-08 01:43 AM
    Navman or navigon or garmin offered a deal for lifetime GPS for your phone for only 99 buck. Lots of bells and whistles so you'll have to check it out. Run a search In these forms and your'll find what you are looking for!
    Good luck and I love you!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-18-08 02:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD