Try the keypad when viewing in landscape. Something the 9900 and 9860 both do better than the 9810. Truth is when people surf with the 9810 they turn the phone sideways so they can utilize the screen properly and the physical keypad becomes useless. Why flip-flop between physical and virtual keypads when the 9900 has a better physical keypad and the 9860 has a bigger screen? The 9810 just combines the worst traits of the other two, not the best. Smaller screen like the 9900 and lack of a decent physical keypad like the 9860. Its stupid.
    I almost never use landscape, always in portrait mode except on my PlayBook. Even when I had my 9860. And thr virtual keyboard on blackberry is pretty bad, even in landscape. While I could type fastern it was always full of errors and had to go back and edit what I wrote. I'm loving the keyboard on the 9810, and because there is more vertical resolution I don't have to scroll as much as I would on the 9900. Plus I can view things in either landscape or portrait with the 9810, you only get landscape with the 9900. And the 9810 was $200 cheaper on contract with AT&T. So for me the 9810 wins hands down. But that not to say the 9900 is a bad devise, but for me I'm much more comfortable with a device like the 9810.
    02-27-12 10:58 PM
    9810 my preference
    02-27-12 11:05 PM
    OP get both and return the one you don't prefer within the returning period.

That way you will know first hand over a period of time the pro's & con's for 'you' !
    Unfortunately, neither do I hav an advantage of being THE Great American Consumer nor do we hav Walmarts here.. to be precise.
    Here in India u jus take it and go home and don't show ur face again.
    02-27-12 11:49 PM
    9810 in lead.

Score: 2-3

Still need five more votes for either of them to get the result/winner.
    02-27-12 11:56 PM
    9810 in lead.

Score: 2-3

Still need five more votes for either of them to get the result/winner.
    And if you end up with 5-5???
    02-28-12 06:21 AM
    So you have followed around everyone with a 9810 and know how they surf the net with it? Interesting, but may be flawed. I seldom do that so I can surf and use the keyboard without a problem. It's great to have choice and with the 9810 I have a variety of ways to use it depending on the situation. People should use what is best for them and ignore people who attempt to say one device is better than the other for everyone.
    We have a 9810, and I have spent plenty of time with it. Its the only Blackberry that uses Portrait with a physical keypad. The truth is you do use the virtual keypad and you know it. As for veiwing the web in portrait? For what? Maybe if you used your smartphone strictly as a reader that might have some merit. Personally, I don't think you care one bit what the OP gets, I think its merely important that you defend your phone that you bought because it was 50 Balloons.

Watch and Learn: You can start at 2 minutes.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEuVAf1enMw&feature=player_embedded[/YT]
    Last edited by olblueyez; 02-28-12 at 09:22 AM.
    02-28-12 08:22 AM
    And if you end up with 5-5???
    Good thought.
    I knowingly dicided to go for an even number voting because an odd number of votes will give me an inevitable result. I want my fone to win bang on.
    5-5: that won't happen... and if then I'll wait for three more votes.
    Did u Vote?
    Last edited by husainpatan; 02-28-12 at 09:55 AM.
    02-28-12 09:52 AM
    Unfortunately, neither do I hav an advantage of being THE Great American Consumer nor do we hav Walmarts here.. to be precise.
    Here in India u jus take it and go home and don't show ur face again.
    Oh I see, that's a shame. Well I'd go for the 9900 as I'm slightly bias. On the other hand I really would like a 9810 to use along side my Bold.
    02-28-12 10:31 AM
    Get the 9900 bigger screen. More memory. And way sexiier.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk
    02-28-12 11:55 AM
    Good thought.
    I knowingly dicided to go for an even number voting because an odd number of votes will give me an inevitable result. I want my fone to win bang on.
    5-5: that won't happen... and if then I'll wait for three more votes.
    Did u Vote?
    First in with 9900!!!
    02-28-12 12:13 PM
    We have a 9810, and I have spent plenty of time with it. Its the only Blackberry that uses Portrait with a physical keypad. The truth is you do use the virtual keypad and you know it. As for veiwing the web in portrait? For what? Maybe if you used your smartphone strictly as a reader that might have some merit. Personally, I don't think you care one bit what the OP gets, I think its merely important that you defend your phone that you bought because it was 50 Balloons.

Watch and Learn: You can start at 2 minutes.

Believe what you want if it makes you feel good. I never use it in landscape mode. Also if you read my original post, I told the OP to buy the device which is best for them and not listen to you or me. Saying one device is "better" than another, to me, is a bit childish. New devices come out daily and you can drive yourself crazy with all the hype. You have to choose the device that fits your needs and not let your ego get bruised by others. I respect your decision.
    Last edited by TgeekB; 02-28-12 at 04:30 PM.
    02-28-12 04:14 PM
    Not to hijack this thread, but it's already gotten a bit goofy, so here goes.

That little bold part up there (no pun intended) is exactly the problem I had with the 9800/9810, especially since I despise typing on a touch screen. I, as I am sure most users do, most often browse in landscape mode. If you're just consuming-browsing, that's fine. But if you're doing anything that requires interaction (like, say, making smart-a$$ posts on CrackBerry), you have to turn the Torch right-side up and open the slider, type on a screen that's now a lot narrower than it was in landscape mode, then close the slider and flip it around again to go back to landscape browsing. If you have to do any kind of typing, you lose the biggest benefit of the larger display -- it's width -- with the 9800/9810. This is one of the big reasons why I prefer the 9900 -- not to mention the keyboard is just plain bigger and more comfortable -- and why I would kill for a landscape-slider BB to truly get the best of both worlds.
    02-28-12 05:46 PM
    Not to hijack this thread, but it's already gotten a bit goofy, so here goes.

That little bold part up there (no pun intended) is exactly the problem I had with the 9800/9810, especially since I despise typing on a touch screen. I, as I am sure most users do, most often browse in landscape mode. If you're just consuming-browsing, that's fine. But if you're doing anything that requires interaction (like, say, making smart-a$$ posts on CrackBerry), you have to turn the Torch right-side up and open the slider, type on a screen that's now a lot narrower than it was in landscape mode, then close the slider and flip it around again to go back to landscape browsing. If you have to do any kind of typing, you lose the biggest benefit of the larger display -- it's width -- with the 9800/9810. This is one of the big reasons why I prefer the 9900 -- not to mention the keyboard is just plain bigger and more comfortable -- and why I would kill for a landscape-slider BB to truly get the best of both worlds.
    Hmmm, I think we should make a poll question. I browse the Internet in portrait mode 90% of the time on all my devices except the playbook (that includes my iPhone, iPad, and torch). In portrait you don't have to scroll as much because there is more room up and down, plus the phone os is designed for portrait mode, so if I leave the browser I don't have to flip the phone. I thought most people surfed this way, but now ,at least in this thread, it's seems to be the contrary.
    02-28-12 05:53 PM
    Any serious browsing is done on my Playbook, not a tiny screen.
    02-28-12 06:20 PM
    There have been many polls, most come up about 75% in favor of browsing landscape and 25% favor portrait.

Opening the phone
    Turing the phone
    Typing
    Turning the phone back
    Closing the phone

PITA

You will end up typing on a virtual keypad and using a smaller screen than the one on the 9860. Its dumb.

Or instead of the 9860 you could scrifice screen size for a real keypad.

Its 50 bucks, if your on a budget, its perfect, otherwise, the 9900 or the 9860 will serve you better.

IMO
    Last edited by olblueyez; 02-28-12 at 07:35 PM.
    02-28-12 07:26 PM
    I have both and love both
    02-28-12 08:21 PM
    Neither phone is better; they're just a little different. 9810 has a bigger screen and a better camera. 9900 has a better keyboard. Other than that, they are the same so pick which is better for you.
    I love the 9810 and I only surf in portrait.
    02-28-12 09:42 PM
    Mmmm..... I believe you are mistaken. Doesn't the 99XX have a faster processor and more memory? Or was I misled?

R...

Neither phone is better; they're just a little different. 9810 has a bigger screen and a better camera. 9900 has a better keyboard. Other than that, they are the same so pick which is better for you.

I love the 9810 and I only surf in portrait.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-28-12 10:03 PM
    Mmmm..... I believe you are mistaken. Doesn't the 99XX have a faster processor and more memory? Or was I misled?

You were mislead. They have the same processor; same memory.

BlackBerry Torch 9810:
    3.5G HSDPA + WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Slider, 5.0 MP camera autofocus, 8GB internal memory + MicroSD (Up to 32GB)

BlackBerry Bold 9900:
    3.5G HSDPA + WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Candybar, 5.0 MP camera, 8GB internal memory + MicroSD (Up to 32GB)
    Last edited by tellsells; 02-28-12 at 10:13 PM.
    02-28-12 10:09 PM
    I have a 9900 and the wife has a 9810 and I can honestly say after using my 9900 all day if I have to look at her phone for any reason it feels cheap compared to the bold.

That's just my personal opinion though.

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-28-12 11:01 PM
    I'm not bias to either phone. I have a 9860 and love it tremendously but if I had to choose between the 9900 and the the 9810 the 9900 would get my vote.
    02-28-12 11:56 PM
    Done.
    Thanx everyone.
    9900 it Is.

As for the biult qaulity, I'll slip it in a Otterbox.
    02-29-12 03:09 AM
    You were mislead. They have the same processor; same memory.

BlackBerry Torch 9810:
    3.5G HSDPA + WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Slider, 5.0 MP camera autofocus, 8GB internal memory + MicroSD (Up to 32GB)

BlackBerry Bold 9900:
    3.5G HSDPA + WiFi 802.11 b/g/n, Candybar, 5.0 MP camera, 8GB internal memory + MicroSD (Up to 32GB)
    Not really a big deal but the 9900 has 5GHz wireless and NFC, the 9810 doesn't have these features. You cant have everything, buy a 9810 and you will learn this.

Last edited by olblueyez; 02-29-12 at 01:42 PM.
    02-29-12 08:05 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD