Hello everyone, this is my first post here Love this site, just decided to become a member as I now have ordered my Bold and thought I'd spread the word.

I work for a store here in Saint John, N.B. Canada and we can confirm without a doubt that the BlackBerry Bold will be $599.99 without a contract. $399.99 with a 3 year term - if you ask me, the $200 discount for a three year term is ridiculous and everyone would be well advised to just purchase this great device without a contract.

Anyways, I don't know if this was posted already but I thought I'd add my voice to the community. Can't wait to get the phone! Should be in tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by HWB; 08-19-08 at 04:58 PM.
    08-19-08 04:49 PM
    WOW!! That's a lot of money! I hope they sell since the price of the iPhone has dropped so much. It's a great phone but I can't see spending that much money on it.
    08-19-08 04:51 PM
    lol, you work there and you advise no contract? Does Rogers appreciate that?
    08-19-08 04:51 PM
    OK wait if you buy it without a contract, would you still have service. I mean donnt you have to have some sort of contract to be able to use the phone to it's fullest ability?
    08-19-08 04:55 PM
    lol, you work there and you advise no contract? Does Rogers appreciate that?
    Probably not lol
    08-19-08 04:55 PM
    OK wait if you buy it without a contract, would you still have service. I mean donnt you have to have some sort of contract to be able to use the phone to it's fullest ability?
    No, you can buy the phone without a contract and sign up for a month-to-month service that has no penality for canceling.
    08-19-08 04:56 PM
    No, you can buy the phone without a contract and sign up for a month-to-month service that has no penality for canceling.

I see!!! But what about the data plan is that also included in your month to month plan.
    08-19-08 05:05 PM
    I see!!! But what about the data plan is that also included in your month to month plan.
    Yes, you can get a $30 month-to-month data plan which has a 6GB monthly data cap.
    08-19-08 05:10 PM
    Kevin, the site rocks. It's been my de-facto standard for bold 9000 news and updates. Gotta get your opinion on this one: Since the Bold is such a huge step forward for RIM in features and functionality, why is its U.S. launch not getting any advance promotion by RIM or AT&T (assuming it's still supposed to drop by Sept. 1)? If it's such a big deal and not "just another new model," why don't these companies want their existing and potential customers to know it's coming?

Apple (dare I mention that name on this beloved site) did a masterful job marketing the iPhone 3G launch. Advance eMails were sent out (probably to anyone with an iTunes account). And they had a very polished, well produced web-based 30-minute tutorial video around 3-4 weeks before the launch.

My only guess is that if your timing is right on the Verizon-Thunder action, maybe AT&T is holding the Bold to go head-to-head with them. But it would be strange to hold back tons of Bolds in crates, warehouses, etc...

What up with RIM and AT&T?
    08-19-08 05:55 PM
    Kevin, the site rocks. It's been my de-facto standard for bold 9000 news and updates. Gotta get your opinion on this one: Since the Bold is such a huge step forward for RIM in features and functionality, why is its U.S. launch not getting any advance promotion by RIM or AT&T (assuming it's still supposed to drop by Sept. 1)? If it's such a big deal and not "just another new model," why don't these companies want their existing and potential customers to know it's coming?

Apple (dare I mention that name on this beloved site) did a masterful job marketing the iPhone 3G launch. Advance eMails were sent out (probably to anyone with an iTunes account). And they had a very polished, well produced web-based 30-minute tutorial video around 3-4 weeks before the launch.

My only guess is that if your timing is right on the Verizon-Thunder action, maybe AT&T is holding the Bold to go head-to-head with them. But it would be strange to hold back tons of Bolds in crates, warehouses, etc...

What up with RIM and AT&T?
    in the past blackberries have never gotten any attention. unlike apple products, RIM devices don't rely on marketing or hype to get sales. for example, this year was the first time RIM actually advertised ANY of its products on tv and we all know RIM has been successful for years. the reason RIM doesn't usually need to advertise is because their devices were usually sold to the business community and large corporations. that is changing now. blackberry is a community, not just a phone, ands its been that way since before crackberry and other such forums/blogs came about.

apple has a different business model. i've often seen journalists refer to apple's device and marketing model as "apple... big on style/hype, small on features" there is something to be said for apple and rim. both are different and both are successful in different ways,
    08-19-08 11:15 PM
    Welcome to cb!!

I hope the thunder isn't this much!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-08 11:17 PM
    $400 with a 3 year commitment.
    $600 without any commitment.

LOL....

This is going to be a "niche" device at those prices.
    And I thought RIM wanted the Bold to be a mainstream device.
    08-19-08 11:51 PM
    Bunch of robbers I tell u.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 02:00 AM
    That's absurd pricing.. I hope NO ONE buys the Bold/Thunder at those ridiculous prices..

Look at the iPhone.. $199/$299.. For new people who know nothing about phones, which mistake you think they would make first?

1. going with the cheaper priced iPhone?
    2. going with the absurdly expensive Blackberry?

Ugh.. At that price, I hope RIM falls flat on it's face. RIM has a MSRP on these devices that Rogers probably up's a little bit.. but that's just ridiculous.. How do they hope to compete against the iPhone's pricing?
    Last edited by sniffs; 08-20-08 at 10:40 AM.
    08-20-08 10:35 AM
    Hello & welcome to the addiction!!!
    08-20-08 11:28 AM
    Welcome to the family!
    08-20-08 11:38 AM
    yeah thats a bit steep! I hope when ATT gets the Bold thats not what they wil charge, I paid $482 for my first 8300, when I got my 8310 I paid $300. I was hoping to not pay more than that
    08-20-08 11:43 AM
    Welcome to crackberry!
    08-20-08 11:51 AM
    Do you not recall what folks were paying for the iphone when it was new? They won't stay that price for long IMO.
    08-20-08 11:57 AM
    This is the same with Verizon too. Once your 1 or 2 year contract has ended your not obligated to up the contract again and it becomes a month by month service. Stores just like to persuade you into getting another 2 year contract by slashing prices on phones and giving you discounts.
    08-20-08 12:36 PM
    yeah thats a bit steep! I hope when ATT gets the Bold thats not what they wil charge, I paid $482 for my first 8300, when I got my 8310 I paid $300. I was hoping to not pay more than that

This may sound crazy but I spent well over 5 grand on phones in the past 3 years... I keep buying phones at retail and once I get bored of it or not like it anymore I go and purchase the newest and the latest again. IF the Bold, Javelin or other similar phones that are an upgrade to my current curve comes out I'm likely to pay full retail on that phone as well. But luckly it looks like Verizon won't be getting a new BB phone anytime soon and the Thunder looks like an i-phone ripoff to me.
    I think the most I spent on a cellphone was $600.00 for the Palm Treo when it first came out.
    I do get some of that money back because I usually end up Ebaying all my old phones which just recently I sold my used HTC mogul for $250.00 hehe
    08-20-08 12:42 PM
    Would LOVE to get a BOLD but WOW that's quite a chunk of change!! Wonder what it will be when it hits the UK stores!
    08-20-08 03:27 PM
    Welcome to the crackberry family! Also I wanted to add that I agree with several of the pp (previous post) that it's pricey, but I live in Etobicoke, Ontario (near toronto) and it's crazy I keep saying it the price on top of a 14% tax and on top that they charge you to connect 25.00 unless you do it online for 10. Canada is the country for crooks!! they over price everything. they have 3yr contracts and the price isnt much better. I know I bought my pearl without renewing my 3yr contract which will end in Feb. The only good thing is when the thunder comes now contract then I dont care if i do have to pay 600 if it is what Im looking for i will pay it. but I will do my research like other crackberry members have suggested. hope you love the phone!!
    08-20-08 03:43 PM
    Welcome to the crackberry family! Also I wanted to add that I agree with several of the pp (previous post) that it's pricey, but I live in Etobicoke, Ontario (near toronto) and it's crazy I keep saying it the price on top of a 14% tax and on top that they charge you to connect 25.00 unless you do it online for 10. Canada is the country for crooks!! they over price everything. they have 3yr contracts and the price isnt much better. I know I bought my pearl without renewing my 3yr contract which will end in Feb. The only good thing is when the thunder comes now contract then I dont care if i do have to pay 600 if it is what Im looking for i will pay it. but I will do my research like other crackberry members have suggested. hope you love the phone!!
    No offense sweetheart, but that font is KILLING me!! I think that the 600 dollar price for the Bold is not too steep, considering what you get. When the Bold becomes available from AT&T, I will guarantee that the price will be competitive with the iPhone at around 300 dollars with a contract renewal. I can see paying the 600 for one outright as well, considering that it has GPS, Wi-Fi, 3G, etc., etc. all in one rimarkable device(pun). In short if you think that the price is too expensive, then wait for a reduction, or don't buy it. Simple as that. I myself will make my own decision, seeing as it is MY MONEY I will be spending for the device that I have been waiting on for 6 months now, or so! Just glad to see it getting closer to a release here in the States. I will say HURRY UP AT&T!!! Sheesh
    08-20-08 06:17 PM
    Wooww!! I just paid my Curve. Looks I'm gonna wait a little to get the Bold... hey, I"ve been waiting a lot already!
    08-20-08 06:34 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD