I just put this together really quick for anyone still confused about the model numbers of the upcoming 6.1 Blackberrys. Hope it helps.

Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 04-09-11 at 03:33 AM.
    04-09-11 03:11 AM
    They are running out of four digit numbers. Time to go to names or 5 digits
    04-09-11 09:20 AM
    92xx and 94xx is still available, iirc.
    And I still recall seeing a "R020" somewhere.
    04-09-11 09:34 AM
    92xx and 94xx is still available, iirc.
    And I still recall seeing a "R020" somewhere.
    R020 seemed to be a codename rather than a model number and as far as lower numbers for new higher end models that seems unlikely, although they might use 94xx for the nextgen of curves after this next lot.

I'd assume that they will make the switch to a new numbering scheme with the qnx-based phones as it would seem to be the ideal place to make such a change.
    04-09-11 10:15 AM
    How is this "confirmed"? Do you work for RIM?
    04-09-11 11:00 AM
    How is this "confirmed"? Do you work for RIM?
    Its based off leaks and what's been discovered by various sources like Crackberry, BGR, and N4BB. I think the biggest bit of truth for some of them came from the leaks where the tutorial videos were extracted. You can't argue that unless they changed numbers last minute.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-11 11:45 AM
    I just put this together really quick for anyone still confused about the model numbers of the upcoming 6.1 Blackberrys. Hope it helps.

So based off this, which phone is going to be the flagship device?
    04-09-11 12:13 PM
    The Bold Touch 9930/9900 will definatly be the BlackBerry flagship device for 2011, I'm pretty sure that all the major US carriers will have this device

04-09-11 12:40 PM
    So based off this, which phone is going to be the flagship device?
    I was discussing this with some guys yesterday and really feel the 9900 series will be the flagship again. The Bold name and the fact it has the highest number really shows they want it to have that flagship title. I think it's always been the powerhouse. I know it sounds stupid but even the aluminum trim on the frame atrributes to that.

However, the Torch 2 and 9850/60 also have things the Bold will not. For the most part, they are running very similar hardware and it's really just the fact that the Bold Touch retains that traditional Blackberry form factor that has evolved over time.
    04-09-11 12:43 PM
    I was discussing this with some guys yesterday and really feel the 9900 series will be the flagship again. The Bold name and the fact it has the highest number really shows they want it to have that flagship title. I think it's always been the powerhouse. I know it sounds stupid but even the aluminum trim on the frame atrributes to that.

However, the Torch 2 and 9850/60 also have things the Bold will not. For the most part, they are running very similar hardware and it's really just the fact that the Bold Touch retains that traditional Blackberry form factor that has evolved over time.
    This surprises me as the T1 was is the flagship device I thought? But it is a lower number but also has the most memory I believe.
    04-09-11 12:50 PM
    This surprises me as the T1 was is the flagship device I thought? But it is a lower number but also has the most memory I believe.
    Good point. It may have taken the throne for a little with being the first device to launch BB6. The Bold only received a refresh to the 9780. I think this new Bold Touch will really put it back up there. Some of these can be argued but it will...

-be the thinnest of the high end Blackberrys
    -have the metal trim
    -retain the traditional form factor
    -carry the Bold name
    -include a touchscreen
    -launch with 6.1
    -have 8gb eMMC
    -likely be the most popular
    -have the highest model number
    -have the most crisp screen (nearing the clarity of the iphones retina display)

I'm not saying other upcoming Blackberrys won't have some of these things but it's really the combination of things. The 9850/60 (one I'm interested in the most) will have the largest screen and be more media centric and the 9810 will have the balance between a large screen and a sliding qwerty. It's all really based on your needs and what's available to you.
    04-09-11 01:21 PM
    Great points on all. I am excited Rim is finally bringing some new and updated phones to the market!

04-09-11 01:31 PM
    Its based off leaks and what's been discovered by various sources like Crackberry, BGR, and N4BB. I think the biggest bit of truth for some of them came from the leaks where the tutorial videos were extracted. You can't argue that unless they changed numbers last minute.

Thanks for clarifying. I cannot wait to grab a CDMA Bold Touch.

04-09-11 02:07 PM
    One of these days I'll replace my Bold with another RIM device. I'm not chomping at the bit to do so. If history repeats itself (and RIM seems to) the release of the next round of devices will include quality control issues and OS bugs. Thanks in advance to those of you will pay a premium price for one of these new devices and help RIM with the debugging process...for free.

04-09-11 02:30 PM
    R020 seemed to be a codename rather than a model number and as far as lower numbers for new higher end models that seems unlikely, although they might use 94xx for the nextgen of curves after this next lot.

I'd assume that they will make the switch to a new numbering scheme with the qnx-based phones as it would seem to be the ideal place to make such a change.
    94xx will probably be that all touch Curve that we saw pictures of a couple of months ago.
    04-09-11 02:34 PM
    I was wondering is 6.1 will be available for the previous batch of OS6 devices, say a Bold 9780.
    04-10-11 03:58 AM
    94xx will probably be that all touch Curve that we saw pictures of a couple of months ago.
    Possibly, although the way they squashed the Torch 2 and the new storms in the the 98xx range I wouldn't be surprised if they shoehorned those into 93xx too as it seems that rim have spotted that besides upping specs to current levels they also need to use up model numbers a bit slower.
    04-10-11 04:06 AM
    I was wondering is 6.1 will be available for the previous batch of OS6 devices, say a Bold 9780.
    We can't be sure at this point, a large part of 6.1 is related to the new hardware so continuing to update os6 with fixes etc. may be the approach they take with existing devices or perhaps they will take advantage of the new curves having similar specs to current devices to roll out 6.1 more widely.

At this point all we know is it is coming on new hardware and given their history there is pretty much no chance of it showing up on existing devices until those are launched since it is a lower priority for both them and the carriers.
    04-10-11 04:11 AM
    then it's not fair to us early OS6 adopters. I mean at least those Bold 9700 users got to have the OS6 like we do. If it really is a hardware limitation then there's nothing we can do I guess. *fingers crossed*
    04-10-11 04:13 AM
    I thought the most recent leaks had them all pegged as having the same amount of memory?

The Bold Touch is going to be the flagship product for most carriers because it is the best version ever of the fundamental blackberry design with a physical qwerty keyboard, one obvious exception would seem to be at&t who have spent a fair amount of time on promoting the Torch brand and you would expect them to do likewise with Torch 2 although you would hope they will still stock the bold touch too as otherwise they could annoy a lot of people.
    04-10-11 04:16 AM
    I thought the most recent leaks had them all pegged as having the same amount of memory?
    I think he may have been referring to the internal storage where it actually exceeds the Monaco (8GB Vs 4GB) but matches the Bold Touch.
    04-10-11 05:55 AM
    then it's not fair to us early OS6 adopters. I mean at least those Bold 9700 users got to have the OS6 like we do. If it really is a hardware limitation then there's nothing we can do I guess. *fingers crossed*
    My tour came out a year before OS6, and I could not upgrade. I doubt that any of the current OS6 devices will have the Horsepower or Memory to run OS6.1, and hopefully they are optimizing 6.1 to only work with the Qualcomm SoC's to get the maximum efficiency out of them.
    04-10-11 07:46 AM
    I don't see what is not fair,

I have had my torch since day one, and do not feel "jipped" in any way shape or form if I don't get 6.1.

I hope to see 6.1lite on my Torch, but even that isn't going to make me upset as 6.0 is a great it was a fantastic improvement over 5.X and it continues to be enjoyable to use. I was actually having this conversation with another form member yesterday about her fears of RIM messing up QNX and making it too different from OS6 on future phones.
    04-10-11 08:03 AM
    I want the STORM 3 .... er TOUCH! ROFL
    04-10-11 08:24 AM
    I'm still trying to understand if the Touch is the Storm 2 replacement.
    04-10-11 08:58 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD