I have a question about configuring a BB for wifi only on Tmobile and what the disadvantages of not having a data plan are. I recently asked about using a BB on vzw without data and was told it wouldnt work so I was going to activate one and get a data plan but I realized my contract expires in a couple months so I was thinking of making the move to T-mobile. Its my understanding that you can activate your own BB on Tmo without data. I dont know much about BBs but I am almost always in wifi so would I be ok without a data plan? Ik this has been posted before and ppl say certain apps dont work. I am wondering if i can still check email? Ik the native email push wont work but I can still set up an account and check it right? Would I be able to use any browser I want like Bolt or Opera? Would twitter for blackberry work? Those are some of my main questions. I am familiar with how a jailbroke iphone on Tmo works without data, basically all the functionality when your in wifi is the same. I prefer BB to iphone tho, but would the lack of data kill the BB. I mainly plan on using it to check school email and surf the web and twitter along with basic phone stuff. thanks
    10-03-10 09:26 PM
    You can use it via wifi but not everything will work. you will have internet and maybe email but no BBM or IM. You can access email via web but does not do everything. BB App world will most likely give some grief about data plan but may work. You can set the browser to hotspot browser for wifi browsing. You can also set then connection preference to wifi only in manage connection mobile network options. other web browser should work fine but may not. twitter will work fine
    10-03-10 09:36 PM
    You can use it via wifi but not everything will work. you will have internet and maybe email but no BBM or IM. You can access email via web but does not do everything. BB App world will most likely give some grief about data plan but may work. You can set the browser to hotspot browser for wifi browsing. You can also set then connection preference to wifi only in manage connection mobile network options. other web browser should work fine but may not. twitter will work fine
    So I couldnt use a mail client? I would have to go to like gmail.com to access a gmail account or go to my schools site to access that email account? Could I download a 3rd party mail app like the gmail app etc to do this? And when you say app world would give me trouble would that mean I wouldnt have acess to any of those apps? I am not too familiar with how that works on a BB.
    10-03-10 11:22 PM
    If you haven't already done this, you might want to post these questions to the forum for T-mobile users too. I use Verizon, so I'm not really sure how it would work with another carrier, but hopefully some other members will have some info for you. Best to make sure that you'll be able to get the service that you want before you actually make the switch.
    10-11-10 12:14 AM
    If you haven't already done this, you might want to post these questions to the forum for T-mobile users too. I use Verizon, so I'm not really sure how it would work with another carrier, but hopefully some other members will have some info for you. Best to make sure that you'll be able to get the service that you want before you actually make the switch.
    Ive actually decided to go with the 9650 on Verizon with data, but Id be happy to move this thread to the Tmobile forum if it would help people out. I dont know how to though lol.
    10-11-10 09:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD