I have always wanted a redesigned OS7 i.e. OS8 on a good phone like 9900 with better processor and ram and battery! The OS should should be really attractive and should be based on OS7!

Posted via BlackBerry Z30
    01-31-14 01:51 PM
    Hmm yes Java is 'old' technology but let me ask, which is more used in the world today - Java or BlackBerry OS 10? LOL!

BlackBerry 10 is not even 0.01% as widely used as Java ... no comparison
    01-31-14 01:52 PM
    Except both the 99% and the 1% are ignoring BB10.

A BB8 device at least has the chance of retaining the few tens of millions of existing BBOS users. Cuz sure as helll they're not buying BB10 devices.

If they build it I will buy it. I will definitely not but another BB10 device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's actually 99.5% who don't care about BB10 right now, and 99% who don't care about BBOS.
    What this tells us, is that BBOS sells incredibly bad for an OS that has been available for 10+ years and that BB10 doesn't sell well enough for a new OS.

In no way does this say that BBOS would help BlackBerry to make money.
    And in no way should you think that BBOS is still competitive.
    To retain the 1% marketshare BBOS had in 2013 is totally useless, doesn't make money and doesn't give BlackBerry a good outlook for the future.

You totally fail to realise, how the current smartphone paradigm works, and as long as this is the case, nobody should take you seriously.
    Your lack of knowledge is so incredibly apparent considering that theme, that I still wonder why you even try.

Hmm yes Java is 'old' technology but let me ask, which is more used in the world today - Java or BlackBerry OS 10? LOL!

10+ years of commercial availability versus 11 months?
    Are you serious?
    Basic logic isn't your forte apparently...

You expected BB10 to outsell all of the BBOS devices in use, until today?
    If yes, you are the next one nobody should take seriously.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and badiyee like this.
    01-31-14 02:06 PM
    I would have preferred my 9900 without touch and I remember many people asking if it could be turned off after it was launched.

My problem was accidental touches, previous BBs you could just grab them by the screen without a worry of accidental touch.

Lol but you don't complain about grabbing your iPhone's screen and accidentally touching it?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 03:04 PM
    I honestly don't get the logic behind this. When people see me with blackberry z10 or 30, they can't believe their eyes. Usually the problem is that their minds are connecting with the old legacy devices...

Here's the thing.. the reason blackberry lost their market share was exactly because majority got tired of their platform and jumped on apple or android.... those majority won't be tempted by your os8. Then there's wp8.

The few people you have on legacy device are either there because of money issues or are clinging to the past.

I think the OP is clueless as to how much work BlackBerry put into patching things up on that old platform. It was never built to be able to compete with today's smartphone..so I don't see how that's a leap forward...

Also let's completely ignore how much money, and brand perception problem it would cause to be supporting 2 NEW FREAKING PLATFORMS

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and sheailewis1 like this.
    01-31-14 03:09 PM
    Lol but you don't complain about grabbing your iPhone's screen and accidentally touching it?

Posted via CB10
    My iphone is used as an iPod touch, it's not my phone.

01-31-14 03:22 PM
    My iphone is used as an iPod touch, it's not my phone.

I'm teasing but in all honesty every other phone out there has touchscreen capability...and it would be completely irrational to take that away for only a selected few.

Also I believe bb10 has that thing in the settings where you have to turn the actual phone on with the power button rather than swiping to awake it. This was gold imo

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 03:25 PM
    Is it a coincidence that more and more people are asking for such a device?

01-31-14 05:40 PM

On crack berry yes... this is most likely the place for legacy users to gather together while the whole world moves on...

I don't see ios users wanting to go back to ios4....

Again those legacy device had their advantages but if you count the amount of people on crack berry asking for this it's probably like 200 people max. If there were enough people wanting that, blackberry wouldn't be in this condition because contrary to what you are saying, people would be flocking to buy those ancient devices.

Again I mean seriously it's built on freaking java ffs! It's not something that blackberry can afford to even mess with. You will just continue to have your wet dream on crack berry because based on the market, I can confirm old blackberry isn't what people want. Touchscreens are the way to go!

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-31-14 05:58 PM

Your logic is damning. It's os7 vs bb10 or java vs qnx....

according to the pace of technology it's reasonable to say that java won't be relevant in a few years. Incase you haven't heard, a lot of features on os7 required BlackBerry to patch things up because the platform (java) wasn't built for such things so they spent so much resources trying to keep up with the androids and apple devices... if they made a mistake it was that they didn't pull the plug earlier

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-31-14 06:01 PM

Those that use BB10 enjoy it much more than those that use java haha
    01-31-14 07:24 PM

I dont have the specific data, but I would wager than the BBOS forums here (en total) are relatively low usage compared to the BB10 forums. Also, yes, there is a very vocal, small group, of people that want another BBOS device, by and large most dont. Corporate users dont want them at all (generalization but based on looking at data of tens of thousands of users and reading data from hundreds of thousands of others). They are old, and extremely limited compared to modern smart phones.

QNX may or may not be the best platform, but it is definitely a step in the right direction for BB. There is SIGNIFICANTLY more that they can do.
    01-31-14 07:29 PM
    I dont have the specific data, but I would wager than the BBOS forums here (en total) are relatively low usage compared to the BB10 forums. Also, yes, there is a very vocal, small group, of people that want another BBOS device, by and large most dont. Corporate users dont want them at all (generalization but based on looking at data of tens of thousands of users and reading data from hundreds of thousands of others). They are old, and extremely limited compared to modern smart phones.

QNX may or may not be the best platform, but it is definitely a step in the right direction for BB. There is SIGNIFICANTLY more that they can do.
    If that's the case what's taking them so long to do significantly more with it?

The BBOS people might be a minority on CrackBerry now but overall BB10 people are the vocal minority. Out in the world BBOS vastly outnumbers Bb10.

Last edited by belfastdispatcher; 02-01-14 at 03:30 AM.
    02-01-14 03:09 AM

The BBOS people might be a minority on CrackBerry now but overall BB10 people are the vocal minority. Out in the world BBOS vastly outnumbers Bb10.

Omg you need help comprehending. One platform just turned a year while the other has a decade head start...

It's a fact...QNX is more valued in today's world than java Smh

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-01-14 07:29 AM
    Omg you need help comprehending. One platform just turned a year while the other has a decade head start...

It's a fact...QNX is more valued in today's world than java Smh

Posted via CB10
    Dude, the legacy features we keep going on about were not put there in 2013, they were there from the very beginning.

The "running shift" they go on about in the latest BB10 version?

It's on my old 7230.

02-01-14 07:33 AM
    Dude, the legacy features we keep going on about were not put there in 2013, they were there from the very beginning.

The "running shift" they go on about in the latest BB10 version?

It's on my old 7230.

And how does that relate to the fact that it runs on a dying platform while QNX runs on a modern powerful platform that is used in other technologies such as cars?

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 07:35 AM

What features are YOU missing on BB10 that you enjoyed on your BBOS devices? Perhaps a comprehensive list will help sort things out
    02-04-14 06:16 AM
    What features are YOU missing on BB10 that you enjoyed on your BBOS devices? Perhaps a comprehensive list will help sort things out
    Email Filters - self explanatory

Firewall - I would set this before roaming so only the strictly necessary would go through

Email Delivery Receipts

Email Read receipts

Home Screen App Shortcuts

Auto On-Off

Alarm ringing from Off

Call, end call, menu, back buttons and trackpad

Camera Convenience button

Browser text reflow and on older devices the column view

Music equaliser

Blackberry Protect which made changing to a new/replacement device a breeze thanks to the comprehensive backup/restore

Q shortcut for vibrate only profile

K shortcut for password locking my device

BB News

Social Feeds

Just a few to get you started.

Edit - unless I've somehow missed it BB10 devices don't have smart USB ID profiles, I had a car dock for my 9900 and I could set to turn Bluetooth on, wifi off etc as soon as I would slide it in.

02-04-14 06:33 AM
    Email Filters - self explanatory

Firewall - I would set this before roaming so only the strictly necessary would go through

Email Delivery Receipts

Email Read receipts

Home Screen App Shortcuts

Auto On-Off

Alarm ringing from Off

Call, end call, menu, back buttons and trackpad

Camera Convenience button

Browser text reflow and on older devices the column view

Music equaliser

Blackberry Protect which made changing to a new/replacement device a breeze thanks to the comprehensive backup/restore

Q shortcut for vibrate only profile

K shortcut for password locking my device

BB News

Social Feeds

Just a few to get you started.

Believe it or not, some of these I agree are lacking. Others will likely never see the light of day (trackpad/hard keys for instance). Firewall I can definitely see being implemented, and something that SHOULD be there. BB News is an app, probably could be written by any number of developers at BlackBerry (or even third party devs). Social Feeds, this always was severely buggy for me YMMV. Keyboard shortcuts definitely, and they are slowly making a comeback to the Q series devices. Auto-on/Off, I rarely used this but I can see why many would.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-04-14 06:45 AM
    Believe it or not, some of these I agree are lacking. Others will likely never see the light of day (trackpad/hard keys for instance). Firewall I can definitely see being implemented, and something that SHOULD be there. BB News is an app, probably could be written by any number of developers at BlackBerry (or even third party devs). Social Feeds, this always was severely buggy for me YMMV. Keyboard shortcuts definitely, and they are slowly making a comeback to the Q series devices. Auto-on/Off, I rarely used this but I can see why many would.
    See, we do agree lol.

I have edited my post to add something else that I'm not too sure about, does BB10 have Smart USB ID? This was a big one for me in the car.

Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    02-04-14 06:50 AM
    BTW, I send a message to somebody I know at BB a few weeks ago and asked if they will ever come back and the response was "it's in the pipeline" re trackpad/hard keys.

I think they will make a comeback.

02-04-14 06:56 AM
    Man I havent seen one of those in a while!

You can do *most* of the same things with NFC, so it doesnt even have to be a charger, it could be anything you throw an NFC sticker on. I say most, because there are still some things they havent built out for NFC to do in the OS.
    02-04-14 06:57 AM
    A year ago at the BB Elite visit to BBHQ London I asked the guy responsibility for BB10 accessories about the Smart USB iD and he looked at me like I had two heads.

02-04-14 06:59 AM
    Man I havent seen one of those in a while!

You can do *most* of the same things with NFC, so it doesnt even have to be a charger, it could be anything you throw an NFC sticker on. I say most, because there are still some things they havent built out for NFC to do in the OS.
    I had that set up too but wasn't as convenient. I still have a few stickers around the house and my front door lol, but turned out to be just a gimmick, for me anyway.

With the cradle you didn't have to think about it, slide it in and that's it. After you just slide it out.

Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    02-04-14 07:01 AM
    A year ago at the BB Elite visit to BBHQ London I asked the guy responsibility for BB10 accessories about the Smart USB iD and he looked at me like I had two heads.

That isnt comforting at all is it?
    02-04-14 07:08 AM
55 123