it is quite clear that cheaper phones are becoming more popular these days, especially in developing countries.
    Blackberry 7 is a good OS despite it's limitations, and is till popular in some areas.

Bb10 in it's current state simply cannot be ported to very cheap (sub $100) phones, but maybe a compromise could be made:

BBOS8:
    Underlying core is QNX
    Uses the QNX JVM in order to run BB7 apps, and a significant portion of the OS is BB7 code
    the QNX underlay would allow for improved system performance
    Does use BB10 APIs, so apps can be upgraded to move away from java
    Supports BIS
    Uses Trackpad and the call, menu, back, and end buttons
    Is NOT touchscreen compatible (there will never be a touchscreen device with this OS)

The hardware would be nearly identical to the models listed below in terms of performance and capabilities, except for minor upgrades due to newer low-cost components being used
    Bold 9780 equivalent: $100
    Curve 9320 equivalent: $75 (slightly cheaper for 2G-only variant)
    Pearl 9100/9105 equivalent: $50 (slightly cheaper for 2G-only variant)
    Pearl Flip (with nearly the same performance of the 9105 equivalent): $60

these devices would be built by Foxconn or similar companies

Thoughts? these would target users that cannot afford a more powerful handset, but are frustrated by the poor performance of the knockoff or badly performing phones. they could kill off what's left of the featurephone market.
    Last edited by grahamf; 03-29-14 at 10:55 PM.
    01-31-14 03:22 AM
    A compromise that would cost BlackBerry a bunch of money?

They already have a good OS in BlackBerry 10, I think it would be easier to add the few missing features from BBOS and make a cheaper phone than it would be to develop an all new OS.. testing.. getting all the bugs out.. that's time and money BlackBerry doesn't really have.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    01-31-14 04:32 AM
    Could you make some picture?

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925
    01-31-14 04:34 AM
    A compromise that would cost BlackBerry a bunch of money?

They already have a good OS in BlackBerry 10, I think it would be easier to add the few missing features from BBOS and make a cheaper phone than it would be to develop an all new OS.. testing.. getting all the bugs out.. that's time and money BlackBerry doesn't really have.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 needs +1GHz processors, 2Gb ram, touchscreen input, and 720x720 or 720p resolution screens (and enough horsepower for games and stuff). if you ever played with a $100 android phone you would realize that it would not work.

The main idea for BB8 is to quickly build a very low cost phone. the primary work to the OS would be to port QNX to the hardware, all of the existing BB7 code (such as core apps and GUI elements) can simply run on top.
    01-31-14 04:52 AM
    Could you make some picture?

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925
    Basically imagine either a Curve 9320 a Bold 9780, or a Pearl 9100 (with OS 7). the hardware would be nearly identical except costing around $100, and the OS would be nearly identical to BB7, except more stable and over time components will be upgraded away from java.
    01-31-14 04:56 AM
    Also a new slogan: "Moving backwards while the rest of the world is moving forward"
    01-31-14 07:52 AM
    The only reason blackberry sold so many phones in emerging markets was BBM and BIS. BBM is no longer a factor.
    JeepBB and boeingrules like this.
    01-31-14 08:53 AM
    Smh it's 2014... they are on 10... why go back to 8

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 09:44 AM
    Maybe instead of calling it OS8, make a "BlackBerry 10 Lite" version for these Jakarta devices where it does not need to run on 2GB of RAM and can run on lower res screens. I have read somewhere the reason why BB10 needs 2GB RAM is due to Android runtime. Maybe on this 'BB10 Lite', the Android runtime can be disabled and thus lower spec hardware is possible without compromising the OS usability.

My Z30 and Z10...finger flickin' good
    01-31-14 10:19 AM
    I dont understand why people cling to the idea of a JVM. That is very old technology. Why also would you want to NOT have touch screen input? The 99xx series did perfectly fine with touch inputs. What people want are the FEATURES of BB7.1 - on a BB10 devices. Those can be done, though the hard keys / trackpad are a hard sell). Why wouldnt you invent a trackpad case that has those 5 buttons (menu (I guess for triggering settings?), call start, trackpad, back, and call end). Or you can do just three (call, trackpad, end call) and sell those to attach to the BB10 devices? It could link via BT, since keyboard and mouse are supported, and you could get that tactile feel back.
    Mecca EL and kbz1960 like this.
    01-31-14 10:24 AM
    Would BB10 apps be compatible?

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 10:28 AM
    it is quite clear that cheaper phones are becoming more popular these days, especially in developing countries.
    Blackberry 7 is a good OS despite it's limitations, and is till popular in some areas.

Bb10 in it's current state simply cannot be ported to very cheap (sub $100) phones, but maybe a compromise could be made:

BBOS8:
    Underlying core is QNX
    Uses the QNX JVM in order to run BB7 apps, and a significant portion of the OS is BB7 code
    the QNX underlay would allow for improved system performance
    Does use BB10 APIs, so apps can be upgraded to move away from java
    Supports BIS
    Uses Trackpad and the call, menu, back, and end buttons
    Is NOT touchscreen compatible (there will never be a touchscreen device with this OS)

The hardware would be nearly identical to the models listed below in terms of performance and capabilities, except for minor upgrades due to newer low-cost components being used
    Bold 9780 equivalent: $125
    Curve 9320 equivalent: $100 (slightly cheaper for 2G-only variant)
    Pearl 9100/9105 equivalent: $100 (slightly cheaper for 2G-only variant)
    Pearl Flip (with nearly the same performance of the 9105 equivalent): $80

these devices would be built by Foxconn or similar companies

Thoughts? these would target users that cannot afford a more powerful handset, but are frustrated by the poor performance of the knockoff or badly performing phones. they could kill off what's left of the featurephone market.
    How much ram do you estimate QNX will require?
    How would sticking the legacy os on top of QNX improve performance?
    How long do you think it would take to implement, test and release BB8?
    How much do you expect the r and d will cost?

My wild *** guess is that by the time you got this ready for market BB10 would run on sub $100 dollar phones.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-31-14 10:28 AM
    Maybe instead of calling it OS8, make a "BlackBerry 10 Lite" version for these Jakarta devices where it does not need to run on 2GB of RAM and can run on lower res screens. I have read somewhere the reason why BB10 needs 2GB RAM is due to Android runtime. Maybe on this 'BB10 Lite', the Android runtime can be disabled and thus lower spec hardware is possible without compromising the OS usability.

My Z30 and Z10...finger flickin' good
    minimum 720p is a must for new smartphones.

And BB10 needs 2GB to perform well because QNX is a bit of a memory hog. (QNX is a RTOS)
    01-31-14 10:31 AM
    Let it die already!

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 10:51 AM
    If they can get a $200 no contract BB10 phone then it will be fine

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 10:55 AM
    Isn't the Jakarta supposed to be $200ish?
    01-31-14 11:20 AM
    The idea itself is amusing, but nothing else.
    The OP also seems to underestimate how cheap smartphones have become that are "usable"

A Nokia Lumia 520 for something like 80$ comes to mind.
    Or the whole fleet of low-cost Android phones starting somewhere around 70$.
    Not to forget some Chinese manufacturers that are able to produce phones with quadcores, 1/2GB RAM, 12+ Megapixel cameras and 1080p displays for something around 200$.

The times of BBOS devices selling successfully in emerging markets are long over, especially because of the increased competition in the low-cost segment.
    An OS8 wouldn't change that in any significant way.
    For most consumers (99%, because only 1% of global smartphone sales were BBOS sales last year) going to a BlackBerry with BBOS would either be a downgrade compared to what they already have, or it would be an uncompetitive device the competition offers even better phones.

To say it simply: BBOS is as close to dead as it could be, without being EOL'ed officially.
    That the 9720 was the only new phone they produced in the last 2 years with that OS, should have already been a very big hint, in what direction BlackBerry will go (and has to go).

Isn't the Jakarta supposed to be $200ish?
    If Chen didn't tell us half-truths, he himself confirmed that it will be under 200$.
    Which probably means 199.99

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and JeepBB like this.
    01-31-14 11:32 AM
    The BlackBerry Bold 9900 is currently number 34 in Amazon.co.uk's unlocked, SIM-free mobile phone sales ranking (along with several other BlackBerries including OS7 ones in the top 50) so I wouldn't quite call it dead.

A newer version of the 9900 would be most welcome. NOT a half-baked Q10 without a trackpad or BIS.
    01-31-14 12:31 PM
    I dont understand why people cling to the idea of a JVM. That is very old technology. Why also would you want to NOT have touch screen input? The 99xx series did perfectly fine with touch inputs. What people want are the FEATURES of BB7.1 - on a BB10 devices. Those can be done, though the hard keys / trackpad are a hard sell). Why wouldnt you invent a trackpad case that has those 5 buttons (menu (I guess for triggering settings?), call start, trackpad, back, and call end). Or you can do just three (call, trackpad, end call) and sell those to attach to the BB10 devices? It could link via BT, since keyboard and mouse are supported, and you could get that tactile feel back.
    I would have preferred my 9900 without touch and I remember many people asking if it could be turned off after it was launched.

My problem was accidental touches, previous BBs you could just grab them by the screen without a worry of accidental touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    01-31-14 01:09 PM
    The BlackBerry Bold 9900 is currently number 34 in Amazon.co.uk's unlocked, SIM-free mobile phone sales ranking (along with several other BlackBerries including OS7 ones in the top 50) so I wouldn't quite call it dead.

A newer version of the 9900 would be most welcome. NOT a half-baked Q10 without a trackpad or BIS.
    That's only one retailer in only one country.
    Global sales in 2013 show us a 1% marketshare for BBOS devices.
    Do you need them to be in the 0. something % range to understand that the times of BBOS being a viable option in the smartphone world are long gone?
    Maybe they should be counted in the "others" category when marketshare is measured?

If you seriously think that 1% marketshare, and continued losses over the last few quarters means that BBOS isn't quite dead, you obviously don't live in the same realm I do.

Where BBOS is still very alive is in the enterprise sector...
    But that's not exactly a high number of users.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 01:10 PM
    I'm with the OP, I would buy such a device in a heart beat.

01-31-14 01:10 PM
    I'm with the OP, I would buy such a device in a heart beat.

I am sure the other 99% of the market would as well.
    It's not like every tiny bit of data we have would contradict that assertion.

I would buy a new Nokia Communicator in a heartbeat.
    But sadly enough they don't produce such phones anymore.
    And contrary to you, I at least understand why.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 01:13 PM
    Honestly, I can't possibly see why anyone would want a phone from 1996.

Some people just hate change eh.
    JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    01-31-14 01:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    I agree, honestly a PlayBook 2 would be more profitable and a better business model rather than develop yet ANOTHER new operating system and have to market it, gain developer support and have it be worthwhile to carriers. If people want an old legacy device then just get a Bold 9900 and be happy with it. BlackBerry is struggling enough with BB10 and have spent years upon years of development into what is a great and rapidly maturing platform. What kind of message is it sending to have 3 platforms to support, market, stock, develop for, etc. Its not worth it. There's a reason why Microsoft dropped Windows Mobile, Nokia dropped Symbian, etc.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-31-14 01:40 PM

Posted via CB10
    Except both the 99% and the 1% are ignoring BB10.

A BB8 device at least has the chance of retaining the few tens of millions of existing BBOS users. Cuz sure as helll they're not buying BB10 devices.

If they build it I will buy it. I will definitely not but another BB10 device.

01-31-14 01:42 PM
55 123