Apple Inc. padded its lead as the top smartphone maker by market share in the U.S. for the three months ended January, while Google Inc.'s Android remained the most-used smartphone platform, market-research company comScore Inc. said Friday.

For the three months ended Jan. 31, 159.8 million people in the U.S. owned smartphones, an increase of 7% from October. Apple continued leading its rival smartphone makers, with a 41.6% share., an increase of one percentage point since October. Samsung Electronics Co. was next with 26.17, up 1.3 points. LG Electronics Inc., with 6.9%, took over the third spot from Motorola.

[bellow, I believe, is installed OS base]
    Android led mobile-platform share rankings at 51.7%, a decline of 0.5 point. Apple's platform improvement mirrored its increase in device share, rising one point to 41.6%. BlackBerry Ltd. held the third spot with 3.1%, a decline of 0.5 point.

Not that bad if we compare to other sources/news/speculations.
    Warning : Comscore is often disputed as valid ... Salt it.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 03-07-14 at 12:29 PM.
    rarsen likes this.
    03-07-14 12:13 PM
    I think you mean ComScore. And I think you might be reading that wrong. MSFT captured 3.2% while BBRY retained 3.1%.
    Attached Thumbnails ComScore : BlackBerry Ltd. holds [in U.S.A] at 3.1%-screen-shot-2014-03-07-2.23.54-pm.jpg  
    rarsen and Superfly_FR like this.
    03-07-14 12:19 PM
    Yup, ComScore ... Edited.
    Then, there might be some rounding ... anyways, 3.2% or 3.1% I must say that the "only" -0.5% point change is - to me - "almost" a good surprise in U.S.A.

Edit: can you edit my title and remove the "third spot" part ?
    03-07-14 12:33 PM
    The opening post is embarrassing. BlackBerry didn't hold the third spot, It actually fell under Windows Phone.

comScore measures user base, not sales. The user base of BlackBerry is falling so fast because sales are close to 0%.
    Last edited by sati01; 03-07-14 at 04:57 PM.
    mikeo007, Drew808, JeepBB and 2 others like this.
    03-07-14 04:40 PM
    So if my math is right, in 3 months they went from having 5.4 million subscribers to 4.9 million, right?

I'm not sure how anyone could say that is a positive thing? They lost a net 500k active users in one quarter.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    Drew808, JeepBB, Etios and 1 others like this.
    03-07-14 04:53 PM
    I think they only count your primary phone. That undercounts the BlackBerry as a secondary phone.

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-07-14 07:13 PM
    I think they only count your primary phone. That undercounts the BlackBerry as a secondary phone.

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't make sense. Then they'd undercount Iphones as that is the primary business phone now.
    03-07-14 09:48 PM

Posted via CB10
    That doesn't make sense. Then they'd undercount Iphones as that is the primary business phone now.
    03-07-14 09:49 PM
    Related to this post, on the pcworld Facebook page they wrote this:

ComScore : BlackBerry Ltd. holds [in U.S.A] at 3.1%-img_20140307_234858.png

Don't like to participate on the bias or unbiased against BlackBerry debate... but this seems a little biased against. If BlackBerry kept its user base almost unchanged , that kinda says a lot about what they are trying to convey.

Hardcore BlackBerry 'er
    Omnitech and FSeverino like this.
    03-07-14 10:00 PM
    But BB didn't , they lost over 10% in a quarter. Over a 3 more quarter measurements that is going to be huge chunk with BB virtually having no presence with carriers. Equally damning is MS barely treading water after spending all the money.
    richardat likes this.
    03-07-14 10:25 PM
    Well funny how some discuss about the score, others about the (neg) progression, others about the podium position... and others... nah nevermind.

Thx Bla1ze for the title.

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech and rarsen like this.
    03-08-14 04:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    Even if this made any sense, it would be a subset of the population so tiny as to be meaningless.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-08-14 05:49 AM
    I'm not sure how anyone could say that is a positive thing? They lost a net 500k active users in one quarter.

Considering all the bloggers, Wall St. bears and so-called pundits making claims like BlackBerry market share is "0.0%", I think it's significant positive news, actually.

This was during a time of great upheaval at the company, when it was not known what its future would be, its management had indicated they were exploring a sale of the company, the CEO was ousted, 4,500 people laid-off, etc.

All things considered, it's at the very least unsurprising, and to some extent positive given the toxic public sentiments that always seem to be flying around about the company.
    Superfly_FR and wincyUt like this.
    03-08-14 05:53 AM
    So BlackBerry LOSING half a million users in 3 months is a positive thing for them?

Really?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    03-08-14 06:11 AM
    Considering all the bloggers, Wall St. bears and so-called pundits making claims like BlackBerry market share is "0.0%", I think it's significant positive news, actually.

This was during a time of great upheaval at the company, when it was not known what its future would be, its management had indicated they were exploring a sale of the company, the CEO was ousted, 4,500 people laid-off, etc.

All things considered, it's at the very least unsurprising, and to some extent positive given the toxic public sentiments that always seem to be flying around about the company.
    wallstreet and pundits talking about marketshare...(0.4%) according to Kantar, while comscore talking about userbase...a very different measurement.

and actually it is Nov 2013 - Jan 2014 number it is period when BB appoint jhon chen as new CEO....the BB debacle it is period before....it means when investors optimist about BB future under Jhon Chen (stock price going up) , but BB userbase and marketshare is still dropping...
    JeepBB and Etios like this.
    03-08-14 06:20 AM
    wallstreet and pundits talking about marketshare...(0.4%) according to Kantar, while comscore talking about userbase...a very different measurement..
    I really think some people must be purposely trying to mislead by confusing the two. I don't know how many times I explained the difference before - and I'm one of many. Many of these same posters were involved in those threads.

The fact that bb's userbase is very small and still shrunk significantly further confirms that market share was indeed around 0.
    03-08-14 07:15 AM
    Bla bla bla from the usual suspects.

Like I said, none of this is surprising. We know their marketshare is low and dropping almost everywhere. The products are not being promoted, they have largely disappeared from stores in many places, salespeople are badmouthing both the company and product incessantly, these are FACTS.

Anyone who DOES find it a big surprise that their marketshare is low and dropping I think needs to re-calibrate their reality sensor.

Either that or stop constantly looking for excuses to tell everyone here how horrible the company is doing.

Yeah, we got it. BlackBerry is not selling many phones.

Let's hear it for the 347,338,121st time.

Eeyore would be proud.
    03-08-14 08:21 AM
    As others have pointed out, this isn't market share we're talking about here. It's the current user base, which is not the number of phones BB sold this quarter, it is the total number of people who currently use a BB (in the case of ComScore there is the additional qualifier that it is their primary mobile phone)

Market share may well be 0.0% now in the US. It is in a couple other countries already. You can put the 0.0 in quotes all you want, but it won't change how people round numbers. You could say < 0.05% if that makes you more comfortable?

I get unsurprising, I don't get positive. Most people in the US are on 2 year contracts. Not everyone, but is the most popular way to buy a phone here. So on a 2 year contract, you figure in any given quarter 12% of your base is up for renewal. So it's hard to lose all your subscribers at once since people don't like to pay ETF.

With that in mind, BB managed to lose 10% of their installed base in one quarter.

Again, this is not surprising. We all know the consumer market for BB in the US and Europe is effectively on hold until the company figures out how to make money again. So I agree it's expected, but to say this is good news is an enormous stretch for me.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    03-08-14 08:40 AM
    You could say < 0.05% if that makes you more comfortable?

It's not a matter of comfort, it's a matter of rounding something down to "nothing" that is not "nothing".

Rounding from "23" to "24" is one thing, rounding from something "more than zero" to "zero" is another matter entirely.

I get unsurprising, I don't get positive.
    It's positive in the sense that it could be much worse, that is all.

If you tell someone with a terminal illness that they are likely going to live 6 months rather than the 2 weeks you previously estimated, that's "good news". Sure it's not good news for someone in good health and no terminal illness, it's a matter of context.

Most people in the US are on 2 year contracts. Not everyone, but is the most popular way to buy a phone here.
    And as people get increasingly fed-up with being gouged by US carriers, which have probably the highest cellular service prices in the world in a major country, that is going to change. The recent congressional move to stop this stupid ban on unlocking phones is just the tip of the iceberg.
    03-08-14 09:19 AM
    Bla bla bla from the usual suspects.

Like I said, none of this is surprising. We know their marketshare is low and dropping almost everywhere. The products are not being promoted, they have largely disappeared from stores in many places, salespeople are badmouthing both the company and product incessantly, these are FACTS.

Anyone who DOES find it a big surprise that their marketshare is low and dropping I think needs to re-calibrate their reality sensor.

Either that or stop constantly looking for excuses to tell everyone here how horrible the company is doing.

Yeah, we got it. BlackBerry is not selling many phones.

Let's hear it for the 347,338,121st time.

Eeyore would be proud.
    I'm not sure why you bother in these threads. Same few spewing the same stuff. It's almost like they are setting themselves up for a "told you so" post incase BlackBerry doesn't make it. If they do make then these posters will just disappear and move on to the next subject that they will post about to death. Guess some have nothing better to do in life.

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech and sheailewis1 like this.
    03-08-14 09:25 AM
    It's not a matter of comfort, it's a matter of rounding something down to "nothing" that is not "nothing".

Rounding from "23" to "24" is one thing, rounding from something "more than zero" to "zero" is another matter entirely.

So if you were making a list of numbers, rounded to the nearest tenths of a unit, how would you round 0.03 for example?

Primary school math quiz. Round the following numbers to the nearest tenth of a unit:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    mikeo007, richardat and JeepBB like this.
    03-08-14 09:27 AM
    I'm not sure why you bother in these threads. Same few spewing the same stuff. It's almost like they are setting themselves up for a "told you so" post incase BlackBerry doesn't make it. If they do make then these posters will just disappear and move on to the next subject that they will post about to death. Guess some have nothing better to do in life.

Posted via CB10
    It is possible to be interested in something, and still not be pollyannaish about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Moonbase0ne, richardat and JeepBB like this.
    03-08-14 09:35 AM

Posted via CB10
    This actually describes the people you'd consider positive as well. I mean, why does either group bother, right?
    mikeo007 and richardat like this.
    03-08-14 09:42 AM
    So if you were making a list of numbers, rounded to the nearest tenths of a unit, how would you round 0.03 for example?
    Bad analogy.

Here's a better one:

The jar holds 200 jellybeans. The jar is 10" tall. The bottom 1" of the jar is opaque, the top 9" of the jar is clear. You eat jellybeans until no more are visible. Are you out of jellybeans?

Or:

The jar holds 100 jellybeans. But you can only count jellybeans in increments of 10, because your eyesight isn't very good. You take 91 jellybeans out. Are there any more jellybeans left?

It is possible to be interested in something, and still not be pollyannaish about it.

Being objective and realistic is not being pollyannish.

Yeah, I know, the haters think they are objective and balanced. Just like Fox News.

Lots of Americans think Obama is a communist too.

Lots of people are dumb.
    03-08-14 09:46 AM
    Bad analogy.

Here's a better one:

The jar holds 200 jellybeans. The jar is 10" tall. The bottom 1" of the jar is opaque, the top 9" of the jar is clear. You eat jellybeans until no more are visible. Are you out of jellybeans?

Or:

The jar holds 100 jellybeans. But you can only count jellybeans in increments of 10, because your eyesight isn't very good. You take 91 jellybeans out. Are there any more jellybeans left?

Being objective and realistic is not being pollyannish.

Yeah, I know, the haters think they are objective and balanced. Just like Fox News.

Lots of Americans think Obama is a communist too.

Lots of people are dumb.
    Agree 100% Omni.
    And to app developer, having an interest in something and discussing it openly is certainly not the same as continually making the same negative post over and over and over.
    We get it and we understand the hurdles in the way. Now rather than continually hammering that point across, how about discuss what needs to happen to fix it...since you and garnock are so interested and all.

Posted via CB10
    03-08-14 09:53 AM
80 123 ...