This is only sort of blackberry related - let me know if it's in the wrong forum...

I've been downloading mp3 files from Amazon, and they're huge (256-320kbps, 8-10mbs/song). I don't want to put them on my media card at that size b/c it's only 2gb. Is there a good program that will compress my files down to 128 or 192kbps and still keep the format as mp3 or something else that will play on my berry? I have the additional issue that my main PC won't sync with my BB, so I've been putting the files directly on the media card.

Thanks in advance.
    04-11-08 10:11 AM
    I believe, in Windows, if you right click on the file, it will offer the menu option of "convert audio format", and that helps. You have the option of going for smallest size or best quality as well as picking the audio format.
    04-11-08 10:16 AM
    Hmm... I don't see that option.
    04-11-08 10:18 AM
    Which version of Windows do you have?
    04-11-08 10:19 AM
    It's XP with all the updates installed.
    04-11-08 10:20 AM
    Never tried it myself but I hear audacity can reduce bitrate.
    04-11-08 10:23 AM
    Hmmmm. When I'm viewing the drive my files are in, and right click on the filename, I get that option and it opens up Windows Audio Converter. Wonder what makes me different.

I guess I don't have an answer beyond that.

Sorry.
    04-11-08 10:24 AM
    Hmmmm. When I'm viewing the drive my files are in, and right click on the filename, I get that option and it opens up Windows Audio Converter. Wonder what makes me different.

I guess I don't have an answer beyond that.

Sorry.
    Perhaps you installed windows audio converter? I don't think I have that program and I don't have that option when I right click either. I do have a lot of other options from programs I did install though.
    04-11-08 10:28 AM
    Hmmm.

OK, here's a thought. I don't know how audio freakish you are. I have a studio setup I play with, including Adobe Audition 1.5, which is sound engineering software. I believe Audacity is a free app out there, and I bet, because most do, it will allow you to import a song, do what you want to it (even if that's nothing at all), then save as whatever file type. Usually you can determine which format will give you the smallest footprint that way. Smaller files sacrifice audio quality, but anything above the limits of the machine is wasted space anyhoo.
    04-11-08 10:34 AM
    Great, thanks, I'll check it out.
    04-11-08 10:46 AM
    I've got over 250 songs and 5 hours of video, plus all of my ringtones and about 50 pics on a 4g card, and it is just now at 2g full. Heck one of the songs is alice's restaurant, weighing in at 21 Meg.
    I would leave them as mp3s, plus memory is cheap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-11-08 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD