from what i've been reading, rim has only discontinued the 16g version. They've been clearing out old inventory hopefully to make room for an updated 7" tablet since it is nearly 2 years old
    There is a newer 7" PlayBook. It was called PlayBook LTE. It's 50% faster and has cellular connectivity and came out this summer.
    01-24-13 06:14 PM
    The leaked roadmap shows a tablet named BlackForest (or something similar) coming out in Q3. This makes sense once the lauch of the new phones is complete. The current offering is good but there are better components available out there now. An update is in order. If RIM launches the new tablet with the same planning and effort they put in to the new BB10 phones, the new tablet could become quite successful.

RIM has done great things with QNX on the current PlayBook. The implementation we see as BB10 on the new phones is outstanding from what I have seen so far. Put that on an updated tablet along with further refinements to the OS along with a similar effort to get lots of good apps developed for that tablet, RIM gets a device that (almost) sells itself, particularly considering it will be available in time for the next Christmas sales period.
    01-24-13 09:01 PM
    Yeah the roadmap did show new Tablets on the way, it is a cut throat market, so you constantly need to be developing devices. I feel from here though, that most specs are near maxed out, and the OS is what needs to be updated the most along with the browser. I see apps coming towards an end, and the browser being the big deal
    nappp likes this.
    01-25-13 03:50 AM
    Yeah the roadmap did show new Tablets on the way, it is a cut throat market, so you constantly need to be developing devices. I feel from here though, that most specs are near maxed out, and the OS is what needs to be updated the most along with the browser. I see apps coming towards an end, and the browser being the big deal
    I agree with you about the browser and a great browser will always provide a alternative to an app except for messaging or forum reading apps like what I use to read this forum.
    01-25-13 05:31 PM
54 123