It's not speculation. They have at least one new PlayBook if not two. My electronics fund better be ready. I have a feeling it's going to be empty soon.
    01-22-13 01:08 AM
    Would definitely keep the original playbook if a new one came out. It's not worth to sell for what you'd get. If a new one comes out, imagine it utilized all the same rapid chargers and docks!!! People who stocked up on the fire sales would be well set!
    01-22-13 01:13 AM
    I would hope that any new ones would include a dock that did more than just hold up the tablet while charging.

As far a a new playbook, I hope that they look at another size option or screen ratio rather than just going for a w/s 10" model as it would be nice to see a fully-featured 9" tablet or a 3:2 ratio device since they are a bit more comfortable to use in portrait mode than most android tablets or being forced into 4:3 like an ipad.
    01-22-13 02:20 AM
    I would love a 10" playbook. Definitely will sell my 7" one if they release a 10" playbook
    01-22-13 04:21 AM
    I would like an updated 7" PlayBook that is thinner and lighter... with an optional keyboard case that would make it as thick as the current PlayBook. That would make me install BB10 on my current PlayBooks and sell them for monies toward the new ones.
    Yes, 10 inch tablets are not very portable. But portability is not the only reason for a tablet.

Right now I have a PlayBook that I use as my portable device, and an iPad for my "living room" device. My laptop is gathering dust.

Had Apple had both the iPad and iPad mini a year and a half ago I would now own both.
    Had RIM had the 7 inch and a 10 inch a year and a half ago, I would own both as well.

There are some who want only a 7 inch tablet, there are some who want only a 10 inch, and there are some who want both.
    01-22-13 09:59 AM
    I love the 7" form factor. It's a breeze to type on in portrait orientation. I personally think a new PB is coming. We'll see jan30
    Last edited by 416to604; 01-22-13 at 02:32 PM.
    01-22-13 11:16 AM
    The leaked roadmap that everyone keeps forgetting about: Leaked RIM roadmap suggests first BB10 devices in early 2013, Nashville and Naples later in the year | The Verge

It shows the new tablet "Blackforest" in Q3. This roadmap seems to be on schedule so why not consider it?
    01-22-13 11:25 AM
    I have almost no interest in a 10inch tablet.

I would be ok with them keeping the over all size and stretching the screen slightly (still need enough of an edge for gestures).
    01-22-13 12:27 PM
    With Apple cutting production of their 10" almost completely due to the reponce of the mini. I'm not so sure its a great idea to come on with a 10" I will buy another 7" though! Bring it!
    Agree. One item RIM got right with the PlayBook was the size (7") and the success of the iPad mini is proof.
    01-22-13 01:00 PM
    I work at Staples and obviously I saw the PlayBook 32GB at 147.00 in our system. That means it is discontinued. So I heard from a higher position that the BlackBerry was coming out with a new tablet with a 10 inch screen and that this was the reason that the 7" tablet was being phased out. Can anyone else in retail confirm this?

I'm going to ask for more info tomorrow. I hope that they keep the 7" form factor too because that's the one I want. Another thing I heard was the price was going to be in the 300-400$ range.

I'll update this as well as post a new comment when I get more info.
    when did RIM become Staples........you just made this up, yes the PB isn't flying off of shelves, so it gets discounted, so they can get rid of it....makes sense, I might pick one up.
    01-22-13 02:26 PM
  11. Professional_Tickle_Fighter's Avatar
    10" tablets are SOOOOO 2011!
    01-22-13 02:28 PM
    With Apple cutting production of their 10" almost completely due to the reponce of the mini. I'm not so sure its a great idea to come on with a 10" I will buy another 7" though! Bring it!
    but apples mini isnt 7 inches...

I like the PB for almost everything, but maybe a little bigger would be better. 8 inch maybe. I think the ipad is pretty big, but it has apps that need that space and if the pb is going to hit hard it needs to take every advantage that it can. maybe a 8 and 10 inch release are needed.
    CairnsRock likes this.
    01-22-13 04:25 PM
    when did RIM become Staples........you just made this up, yes the PB isn't flying off of shelves, so it gets discounted, so they can get rid of it....makes sense, I might pick one up.
    I didn't make this up. Since when? Well, I guess since my managers and such (even higher positions) get emails from suppliers and such on upcoming products and the like.

Also, I know it's gone because one, it's 147.00. Second of all, it shows no more shipments. No store really has any left and they took it off the website. Last shipment was mid December too.

I didn't get a chance today, will ask tomorrow.
    01-22-13 07:18 PM
    I would like an updated 7" PlayBook that is thinner and lighter... with an optional keyboard case that would make it as thick as the current PlayBook. That would make me install BB10 on my current PlayBooks and sell them for monies toward the new ones.
    Are you talking about a the Surface Pro?

I don't mind the thickness. I just want it faster! Browser is too painfully slow with javascript on and lots of sites break when I turn it off.
    01-22-13 07:22 PM
    Wait for bb10 to fix the browser than come to your decisions
    01-22-13 08:00 PM
    I am hoping for updated 7". I love this form factor. I would not hesitate to upgrade to 7.7" Playbook 2 if it comes out with reasonable price

Sent from Blackberry Playbook using TapaTalk 2
    01-22-13 08:05 PM
    a 7" updated model that is the EXACTLY the same form factor as the current PlayBook, with at least 1280 x 800 screen (perferably a 1920 x 1200 screen) and much faster innards would be a launch-day purchase for me. I'd pop my current 64 gigger out of my keyboard / case, and pop this in, and awaaay we go. I want to be able to use my rapid charger dock with it, so it has to be identical in form factor, just better on the INSIDE. (I think the current PlayBook is a beautiful device, doesn't need to change on the OUTSIDE one iota)
    01-23-13 09:47 AM
    One of the things I love about the 7" form factor is its portability. I can easily slip my PlayBook in one jacket pocket, a mini projector in the other and with my phone on my hip I'm ready to travel to my next presentation! 10" would be too clumsy for me to tote around, especially with the amount of travelling I do.
    BB12MX and elmit22 like this.
    01-23-13 11:39 AM
    Yo tambi�n prefiero el formato de 7 pulgadas y si RIM deja de producirlo tendr� que buscar otra opci�n.
    Por lo pronto estoy a gusto con mi PlayBook de 64 GB.
    Comparto 100% contigo, 7" es el tama�o ideal para una tablet y 64GB es una capacidad de almacenamiento perfecta
    01-23-13 02:55 PM
    Thanks to the admin that added [complete speculation]!
    Some of the admin may already know if this is true or not.

I'm happy with my 7" PlayBook but would gladly look into getting a larger one...BlackBerry addiction !
    01-23-13 04:09 PM
    One of the things I love about the 7" form factor is its portability. I can easily slip my PlayBook in one jacket pocket, a mini projector in the other and with my phone on my hip I'm ready to travel to my next presentation! 10" would be too clumsy for me to tote around, especially with the amount of travelling I do.
    While I do like the portability of the 7" form factor, moving up to an 8" model or altering the screen ratio to say 3:2 might make for a more flexible device as things like reading books, magazines, pdfs and webpages would be improved without too much detriment to media consumption.
    01-23-13 05:00 PM
    same size device but with 8 inch screen no bezel as such, rather a black 'virtual' bezel that you could zoom in/out so have larger screen when you need it but keep the gestures too...
    01-23-13 05:34 PM
    The second generation 7" PlayBook came out a few months ago (in Canada), with a faster processor (along with NFC, if I remember correctly) and wireless data. Some of the Canadian carriers sell it. It just hasn't made an appearance elsewhere in the world.

It will be interesting to see what the next generation PlayBook will be like - more than likely coming out with BB10 installed from the get go.
    01-24-13 08:03 AM
    I didn't make this up. Since when? Well, I guess since my managers and such (even higher positions) get emails from suppliers and such on upcoming products and the like.

Also, I know it's gone because one, it's 147.00. Second of all, it shows no more shipments. No store really has any left and they took it off the website. Last shipment was mid December too.

I didn't get a chance today, will ask tomorrow.
    Please do, I didn't know Staples became the go to for the tech industry.

If any PB were to come up, it would probably retain the same form factor, and have less bezel, so that the aspect ratio could be changed. But the size is perfect, for holding, typing, and portability.

And yes, the PB needs an update in its browser fo sho.
    nappp likes this.
    01-24-13 08:11 AM
    Please do, I didn't know Staples became the go to for the tech industry.

If any PB were to come up, it would probably retain the same form factor, and have less bezel, so that the aspect ratio could be changed. But the size is perfect, for holding, typing, and portability.

And yes, the PB needs an update in its browser fo sho.
    Lmoa. Staples "all tech all the time" is always the place to go!

I like your idea on what a new playbook would be. thank god we will get a new browser when bb10 comes to PB.
    crackcookie likes this.
    01-24-13 06:11 PM
54 123