I don't know if I am a bad person, but I just would like to see this year big news on security issues on Androids and everybody scare about being stolen and running for the Aristo as the iPhone is just not innovative enough. "just kidding", I really hope this does not happen

check this article, it talks about that

Research In Motion: The Competition Is Falling - Seeking Alpha
    01-08-13 09:38 AM
    I believe BB10 phones will make the phablets and the latest smart"dumb"phones from both parties look like they are a generation or two behind.
    morpho4444 likes this.
    01-08-13 10:05 AM
    Apple stock has been taking somewhat of a drubbing lately, down 25% from its all time highs.
    and

Apple is even slashing production orders for the iPhone5 as the demand they expected is just not there.
    and

The highly regarded Consumers Report just rated the iPhone5 as the worst performing smartphone out of all the major smartphone players! Not good news for Apple fans.
    Is that all for real, or is the author on drugs? I'm gonna have a little look at the internet tonight and see what comes up.
    01-08-13 10:15 AM
    and

and

Is that all for real, or is the author on drugs? I'm gonna have a little look at the internet tonight and see what comes up.
    There's probably a partial truth to everything here, but like so many other articles, it's exaggerated and sensationalist.
    01-08-13 10:27 AM
    and

and

Don't know about the first two, but for whatever it's worth, CR did pan the i5.
    01-08-13 10:30 AM
    Apple stock has been taking somewhat of a drubbing lately, down 25% from its all time highs.
    The article linked to says Apple is indeed down 25% on their high of circa $700 sometime this year, but over the previous 12 months is actually 25% up in value - started 2012 @ around $400 and now @ $507 (when the article was written). So quite selective and possibly misleading, although the current momentum is certainly downward..
    01-08-13 10:50 AM
    and

and

The first and last are definitely true but the middle statement was just analyst talk so talk it with a pinch of salt as they never divulge their sources, just mention that their 'checks' show such things.
    01-08-13 10:51 AM
    Apple is even slashing production orders for the iPhone5 as the demand they expected is just not there.
    Apple has reportedly slashed its orders for iPhones for the first quarter of next year. According to UBS and other sources, Apple cut its “build” orders from 35-40 million units to 25-30 million. This suggests that sales of the all-important iPhone may be far lower than Wall Street has been expecting.
    Why is Apple fading? - Salon.com

So that bit at least may have some truth behind it, although I thought I saw some figures suggesting iPhone was quite some way ahead of Samsung in the US.
    01-08-13 10:59 AM
    Why is Apple fading? - Salon.com

So that bit at least may have some truth behind it, although I thought I saw some figures suggesting iPhone was quite some way ahead of Samsung in the US.
    These rumours started in the supply chain. I read a more recent report that suggests that only specific components had their quantities cut, which would not signify a reduction in devices, but rather a change of supplier or a correction for over-ordering of parts (display panels comes to mind.)
    01-08-13 11:11 AM
    While the iphone 5 s not selling as much its because the iphone 4s is still selling like mad and undercutting the i5 sales. I am not surprised really for various reasons.
    01-08-13 11:21 AM
    While the iphone 5 s not selling as much its because the iphone 4s is still selling like mad and undercutting the i5 sales. I am not surprised really for various reasons.
    Could have anything to do with rumours that Apple will unveil the i6 in friggin March!? haha Actually with the price drop of the 4S compared to the 5, it's no surprise some are willing to keep the device that works for them. There are only so many times you can shell out 700-800 bucks mid contract so you can "upgrade" your experience.
    GTiLeo likes this.
    01-08-13 11:32 AM
    C'mon guys, isn't that obvious? iPhone is becoming a innovative less product, they built a future ready (not proof) device, a device that is ready by just adding enough specs to compete with the average market. They indeed have a product that will work perfectly with the new APPS. There are no apps out there that will require in the short term a big amount of RAM and CPU cores. So what is next? The iPhone's Software is prepare for small hardware changes, but it is not for Hardware additions. So NFC was not included, this is just the begining, I believe that industry will adopt new technologies for integration purposes and the iSolation that Apple is about to experiment will be the downfall of their products, because they won't add any new technologies, they will stuck with their own ecosystem. This is why they need a TV in the market right now...
    01-08-13 12:39 PM
    I don't know if I am a bad person, but I just would like to see this year big news on security issues on Androids and everybody scare about being stolen and running for the Aristo as the iPhone is just not innovative enough. "just kidding", I really hope this does not happen

check this article, it talks about that

Research In Motion: The Competition Is Falling - Seeking Alpha
    If you're hoping for "big news" about security issues in order to send people back to RIM, then you'll be waiting a long time. At over 1 million device activations daily, i'm guessing that the news should be flooded with reports of identity theft, fraud, people left penniless all due to having used an Android smartphone. I mean, EVERYONE here knows what a cesspool of malware Android has been for the last 2 years (at least), what with all the horror stories and articles about malware we hear about on a daily basis, so it's only a matter of time right? With over 75% of the global marketshare, there must be thousands of news stories worthy of these horror stories. Only there isn't, because there aren't. A quick Google search shows some threads of people who "think" they might have been hacked, and yet, most of these turn out to be hardware issues (digitizers) and not some malevolent app with some cyber criminals intent on stealing your hard earned McDonald's pay cheque.

I'm afraid RIM is going to have to win back the masses the old fashioned way, by putting out a product that *gasp* people want to actually use, and not have to rely on the tinfoil hats of some conspiracy theorists.
    bobauckland likes this.
    01-08-13 01:04 PM
    What are you talking about? were you expecting the steal of accounts in Sony Servers? You saw it coming? This is something that can be done on android and I have an Android Galaxy SIII for work and a BlackBerry Bold 9900 for personal use. I think I should switch them.
    01-08-13 01:13 PM
    What are you talking about? were you expecting the steal of accounts in Sony Servers? You saw it coming? This is something that can be done on android and I have an Android Galaxy SIII for work and a BlackBerry Bold 9900 for personal use. I think I should switch them.
    What does Sony's Psn breach have to do with Android?
    01-08-13 01:18 PM
    What does Sony's Psn breach have to do with Android?
    Damn, I give up... you win... Android is very secure and nothing can break into it, therefore it is impossible that we ever get to see an event like the one that happened to sony.

Now.. for the rick roll guy, this is for you, not for mike who is not following the conversation....

You say Android is not going to be news in security flaws matter because there are millions of activations daily and by this time we would already hear about millions of identity thief and stuff. You claim that timing and massive propagation make it unhackable.
    I say that any system can be hacked, you did not hear about steal of sony accounts the first day they launched right?. I mean, it doesn't have anything to do with how many activations there are and how much time is been on the market...
    01-08-13 01:50 PM
    Can anyone explain me in two words why would BB be much safer? BBM communication passes through Rim servers, right. It's not open source OS, so Rim controls it better and can dispatch the updates. Anything else? I'm not being ironical, I'm curious to find out more...because BBM and fully controlled platform don't convince me more than that (even if I appreciate).
    01-08-13 02:06 PM
    Can anyone explain me in two words why would BB be much safer? BBM communication passes through Rim servers, right. It's not open source OS, so Rim controls it better and can dispatch the updates. Anything else? I'm not being ironical, I'm curious to find out more...because BBM and fully controlled platform don't convince me more than that (even if I appreciate).
    RIM offers very granular encryption with a few different layers. They also run their own proprietary network, so that greatly reduces the opportunity for data to be intercepted.

I don't know how much this is ever likely to matter to most consumers; people have been showing for years that they are prepared to give up privacy and security for the sake of convenience, but it definitely matters to business.

I have my own BES Express at home, and in the course of troubleshooting an issue the other night I found myself poring over the IT policies, and they provide an impressive degree of control. If you run a BES you can fine-tune device security to a fair degree, even to the extent of permanently disabling the camera or removeable storage.
    jasonvan9 likes this.
    01-08-13 02:13 PM
    Damn, I give up... you win... Android is very secure and nothing can break into it, therefore it is impossible that we ever get to see an event like the one that happened to sony.

Now.. for the rick roll guy, this is for you, not for mike who is not following the conversation....

You say Android is not going to be news in security flaws matter because there are millions of activations daily and by this time we would already hear about millions of identity thief and stuff. You claim that timing and massive propagation make it unhackable.
    I say that any system can be hacked, you did not hear about steal of sony accounts the first day they launched right?. I mean, it doesn't have anything to do with how many activations there are and how much time is been on the market...
    How are you even comparing a massive server security breach to the security of an individual smartphone? Your comparison doesn't make any sense. It's like you're comparing fish to office chairs, it's just senseless.
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-08-13 02:25 PM

Firstly, i never said nor implied that Android is "unhackable". The very premise and appeal to some of Android is it's "hackability". However, this does not have to with "security breaches", and on the contrary, it does have to do with how many activations there are, and how long it's been on the market. The larger the mass adoption is, the larger the "sample pool" for everyday thefts and security breaches. What do you think is more likely, stories about someone having money stolen from them due to security flaws with only 100 people using your product, or is there a greater chance with 10,000 people? Obviously, the more people that use an "insecure" product, the more likelyhood of chances of something, somewhere, having happened. The fact that over 1 million devices are activated on a daily basis, and yet there are still no news worthy blogs, articles, or stories about this happening, speaks volumes imo.

But as I said, if you want to hope that some big news story will happen in 2013 to drive more people into the arms of BB, then i'd suggest taking off the tinfoil, and coming back to reality.
    randall2580 and Admorris like this.
    01-08-13 02:36 PM
    RIM offers very granular encryption with a few different layers. They also run their own proprietary network, so that greatly reduces the opportunity for data to be intercepted.
    Good to know.

I don't know how much this is ever likely to matter to most consumers; people have been showing for years that they are prepared to give up privacy and security for the sake of convenience,
    It does matter to me. I'm not some kind of star, but I have an experience of being stalked (luckily, back then everybody was much less connected than today; but it really scares me what people can do NOW in similar situations and I just can't get how everybody is so light with stuff like geolocalisation especially on social platforms), so I'm sensibilized to it.

I have my own BES Express at home, and in the course of troubleshooting an issue the other night I found myself poring over the IT policies, and they provide an impressive degree of control. If you run a BES you can fine-tune device security to a fair degree, even to the extent of permanently disabling the camera or removeable storage.
    It's great, even if I'm more interested in what security solutions and garantees are available to regular users.
    01-08-13 02:36 PM
    My understanding is that if folks stick to the branded stores (iTunes, Play Store and BlackBerry World), and don't click silly links in emails, your chances of finding malware on any of these 3 is pretty small.

It is the folks who are trying to sell you something that keep posting these "malware is gonna getcha" stories.

I said in another post - I love that we brag in these posts about BlackBerry security on the one hand, and then when an app like WhatsApp is rumored not to be coming "oh I'll just sideload". I imagine folks understand then if they didn't do the .bar conversion themselves, on their own computer, that the are exposing themselves to the same chance of malware as someone who sideloads to Android or jailbreaks their iOS.

But that's not important right now it doesn't stick to the narrative.

And in the "analysis" on Seeking Alpha, #3 the "drive by breech" pertains to NFC vulnerability and BB are as vulnerable to this particular exploit as an Android phone as I understand it.
    01-08-13 02:51 PM

I don't know how much this is ever likely to matter to most consumers; people have been showing for years that they are prepared to give up privacy and security for the sake of convenience, but it definitely matters to business.

Question for you please: Until the BB10 unit is ready, I am on an Android with Kaspersky for Mobile. In your opinion is that adequate/helpful/worth the money? I have an older Samsung, no NFC but WiFi and Bluetooth are usually on (various reasons). I'm not silly enough to think I'm immune to breaches as I do keep quite a bit of passwords and work related items on my phone. And do BB users need Kapersky/McAffee, etc?
    01-08-13 05:52 PM
    iPhone5 is not perceived as much of an upgrade over the iPhone4 and the iPhone4 is being promoted by at least Verizon. Know twelve people that got new iPhone4's recently for FREE on new or upgraded contract. So I don't see the overall iPhone platform loosing any traction. And I do see RIM having a problem IF they don't have a device that is able to be promoted by carriers as free on contract. Because that seems to be what most people looking to get their first smartphone seem to be entering the market at.
    01-08-13 06:16 PM
    And in the "analysis" on Seeking Alpha, #3 the "drive by breech" pertains to NFC vulnerability and BB are as vulnerable to this particular exploit as an Android phone as I understand it.
    This driveby IS isolated to android, because android is programmed to automatically launch requests from an NFC tag, IE going to a malicious website that will download code to your phone automatically without your knowledge. BB obviously blocks automated launch attempts by unsigned sources, so you have to agree to at LEAST one prompt on the screen before it will do anything, same as a bluetooth transfer, etc etc... Please, never think anything on android is nearly as secure as BB... the automation built into android to make it easier for people to use is the downfall, its like on Windows7, the user account access prompts before you open a program etc, puts the user in control of their own security vs. just launching whatever program sends a request to run. Android is the latter, it will just run whatever requests to run.
    01-09-13 06:55 AM
26 12