Two problems that I hope someone can help with.

First is the compass. I click on compass and it appears, but never moves. I see longitude and latitude on the left and bars on the right. Any idea why it does not move when I rotate or walk with the Blackberry Curve?

Second is the GPS. Is there some way to tell what direction you're going? I don't see any indication of North, south, etc.

Thanks for any clues.
    01-16-09 07:05 PM
    What mapping application are you using? GPS-based compasses require you to move to determine which direction you are heading. Rotating in place won't provide enough change for the GPS to detect your movement, since the best accuracy you can get is about 3-m.

The mapping application (google maps, bbmaps, etc) will have a North indication, but it will only be valid when you're moving.
    01-16-09 09:51 PM
    Thanks Jeff. I now see that it doesn't work like a good old magnetic compass that tells the direction by simply pointing the arrow.
    01-19-09 12:24 PM
    the best compass application that I've found is one on here called Blackstar. it's been updated many times, and works with only a little movement.
    01-19-09 01:59 PM
    What mapping application are you using? GPS-based compasses require you to move to determine which direction you are heading. Rotating in place won't provide enough change for the GPS to detect your movement, since the best accuracy you can get is about 3-m.

The mapping application (google maps, bbmaps, etc) will have a North indication, but it will only be valid when you're moving.
    Jeff - where's the North indication on google maps? I've been trying to find it and driving myself crazy! Thanks!
    02-07-09 02:16 PM
    North is always UP on Google Maps. They don't rotate as you move.
    02-07-09 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD