My sister's company just gave everyone a blackberry, but they have blocked texting. - I don't know anything about the server or setup or anything.

Does anyone know, if I give her my Google Voice invite, and she get's a number, would that allow her to text? Or is there something deeper in the company's IT setup that would still prevent it?

Thanks
    05-16-11 12:30 PM
    That will not allow her to text. Google Voice still requires the SMS service which the BES has prevented.
    05-16-11 01:11 PM
    That will not allow her to text. Google Voice still requires the SMS service which the BES has prevented.
    Negative. Google Voice uses data and you can txt both ways even if texting is blocked at your carrier level.
    05-16-11 01:13 PM
    Negative. Google Voice uses data and you can txt both ways even if texting is blocked at your carrier level.
    Your right trucky - As long as Text Forwarding is turned on in your settings it will forward to an e-mail address. Didn't think about doing it that way. Makes it hard to send a new txt however as you will need to know the complete e-mail address of the phone and send it as an e-mail

Say you are on AT&T. You will need to e-mail <10 digit phone #>@txt.att.com (or something like that) for the other person to get message as a text.

HAL1 - Just be careful, if your sister's company turned off texting, they did it for a reason. Bypassing by doing Google voice could get her in trouble. To be safe, I would have your sister ask why texting has been disabled. It's possible it was disabled by mistake.
    Last edited by NetworkGuy; 05-16-11 at 01:22 PM.
    05-16-11 01:19 PM
    Well, I'm not sure how you tested Google Voice but... I've been on USCC for a few years with texting blocked by the carrier. I use Google Voice and txt to the number, not the email. It's not as quick as standard txting and it only processes the queue every 5 minutes, but for those who don't have texting, it does work, number to number.
    05-16-11 01:23 PM
    Yes, my sister is high enough up that she could check with her boss about the company's position on this. They just went to BB and I guess they just set it up to not include texting.

She would be using GV for direct phone number texting.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-11 01:36 PM
    Usually txting is enabled or blocked at the carrier, not BES or company level.
    05-16-11 01:46 PM
    That's what I thought; so could her company even track what she does with a google phone number?

And if text messaging is not allowed at the carrier level, should she still be able to use Google voice for texts

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-11 04:08 PM
    quit trying to outsmart the IT guys and get a 2nd phone like the rest of us....
    IT knows everything
    05-16-11 06:28 PM
    i think it will still be prevented from texting even with google voice..
    05-16-11 08:18 PM
    Both Can be done

The Carrier can disable texting, and the BES can disable access to the texting application.

My Company doesn't want us texting, but didn't disable it, we have been heavily pushed to use BBM for inter staff communication.
    05-16-11 08:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD