wonder what keeps RIM from making a good device...

they know that the old bold was THE PERFECT size device.. throw in a better processor, a good big battery, a decent 5mpix camera with a xenon flash, get the screen a bit bigger, a trackpad, maybe an FM radio, a multi format video player..... u got ur self one of the best devices in the world>>>
    07-12-10 04:25 AM
    the old Bold was wide and bulky. not everyone likes its size. especially nowadays when smaller and sleeker is better.

everything else you decribed, minus the FM radio and the 5.0MP camera, is the 9700. they have streaming FM radio apps and the 3.2MP camera is more than enough for normal snapshots.
    07-12-10 04:29 AM
    RIM is lacking "innovation" and from the continued
    loss of market share I would say the public noticed this too.

Quality is also becoming an issue as well. While my 8530 is a better
    BB overall then my 8330, I will say and so will most, that the
    8330 seemed more solid then the 8530. BB should hear and respond to that.
    But instead they are making all their phones in this manner.

It's not to late, but someone with some fresh ideas, an attitude about quality
    and the zip to make it happen is needed at RIM..

Tim
    07-12-10 06:09 AM
    I agree the old bold was too big and bulky, the 9650 is, imo, an amazing device, it doesn't have the 8mp camera of the droid, nor do I care, I do not NEED an 8 mp camera on a PHONE, I do agree RIM needs to come up with some fresh ideas but I'm also not one of the ones who thinks they are just reproducing the same product and re branding it.
    07-12-10 06:37 AM
    the old Bold was wide and bulky. not everyone likes its size. especially nowadays when smaller and sleeker is better.

everything else you decribed, minus the FM radio and the 5.0MP camera, is the 9700. they have streaming FM radio apps and the 3.2MP camera is more than enough for normal snapshots.
    Smaller and sleeker doesn't seem to be the trend nowadays at all. Look at the Evos and Droid Xs of the world. They make my 9000 look like Zoolander's phone. Even the smaller droids are larger than my 9000.
    07-12-10 07:23 AM
    Idk if they intentionally make the phones that big. I think they just settle for what they can get into the phone. I like the size of all the bold series. Each device brings something nice to the table

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-12-10 07:53 AM
    Awesome, let's throw in some iPhone bashing and this will be like the 1, 265 threads that are exactly like this one.
    07-12-10 10:03 AM
    You'd never get 10 people (much less millions) that could agree on what the perfect phone should have or what it's size should be. A 6'6" guy with huge hands wants an entirely different size phone than a 5'3" girl. That's why ALL of the phone manufacturers make oodles of different models...we all have different preferences. If everybody wanted the same thing it would be a pretty boring world.

Everyone has 2 options...pick which ever phone most suits your needs and learn to live happily with the compromises that come with your choice, or study electrical engineering and manufacturing and design your own perfect phone.
    07-12-10 10:46 AM
    Awesome, let's throw in some iPhone bashing and this will be like the 1, 265 threads that are exactly like this one.
    This post has the one two punch knock out...

and i think Ken said it the best

The 9000 is a sumo wrestler in a room full of super models.

the 9000 is a MASSIVE device.... good thing it died.

07-12-10 11:39 AM
    This post has the one two punch knock out...

and i think Ken said it the best

The 9000 is a sumo wrestler in a room full of super models.

the 9000 is a MASSIVE device.... good thing it died.

So all that matters is the point of view of one user? I know a lot of people that prefer bigger devices, it's all a matter of opinion. Just because some of us like smaller devices doesn't mean we are any more correct than people who like bigger ones.
    07-12-10 11:43 AM
    So all that matters is the point of view of one user? I know a lot of people that prefer bigger devices, it's all a matter of opinion. Just because some of us like smaller devices doesn't mean we are any more correct than people who like bigger ones.
    my point is to say this

the OP stated that he 9000 is the "perfect device".... as if it were fact....

I stated the 9000 is a MASSIVE phone.... but wait... if it were perfect.... everyone would like it, but everyone doesn't like it.... that means it's not perfect. Because a perfect device would mean that everyone like its, but that simply not true with any phone, that is why they make so many. for example i hated touch screen phone, but with a touch screen and a program called swype (http://swypeinc.com/) i love my touch screen..... but that means at one time a keyboarded phone was the perfect phone for me, and not it is a touch screen is the perfect phone.... that even means perfects, when it comes to opinions, can change from time to time.

and i was refering to your post having the 1 2 punch for the knockout.

07-12-10 11:52 AM
    Radius, you have GOT to stop exagerating, dude! There are only 1,263 threads that are exactly like this one! :: sheesh ::

07-12-10 11:54 AM
    I'm pretty happy with my 9650! My 9550 ain't bad either for a touch screen, and the slider might be the best of BOTH worlds. We shall see this fall!
    07-12-10 11:58 AM
    I love the posts that attempt to define "perfect" and also the ones that bash RIM and complain about this and that. This thread is perfect, it does BOTH!

As others have said, there is no "perfect." Period. End of story. It does not exist for the masses, each device, regardless of brand, is only "perfect" for a select audience. Seriously (and this is a bone for Radius, lol), look at the iPhone. There are many, many users that would proudly say their iPhone is "perfect" yet an even greater number that would clearly say "nyet" (that is "NOT" for the grammatically challenged).

The "Old Bold" was clearly not the "perfect size" device for me and please, Bunny, don't become like the others, implying that "RIM=Epic Fail" or some such thing. You may well be looking for a device that meets all of your requirements and that may well mean that RIM doesn't have what you need, but this has NOTHING to do with RIM "lacking common sense." Just that RIM doesn't have what YOU want. Just as I've yet to find an ANDROID that has what I want (though I'm excited about going to check out the Droid X).
    07-12-10 12:02 PM
    I love these kind of threads...
    07-12-10 12:24 PM
    I love these kind of threads...
    I don't.....

People need to understand what maybe perfect to them is not prefect to another user. And just deal with it... It's life... And it's natural thinking....

But companies are going to adapt to what the majority wants. We see it with all manufactures, computers, kitchen appliances, etc.

The thing is here on CB we have over 2 million users who all want something different and some don't like how a company is ran.....

Think of it as a 3rd party app or theme. Tons of users want additions and add on's........

Not everyone can be pleased. So people vent about it. Nothing wrong with it. But we can not change the users minds on what they think or feel. What ever works for them, may not work for you.
    07-12-10 12:32 PM
    wonder what keeps RIM from making a good device...

they know that the old bold was THE PERFECT size device.. throw in a better processor, a good big battery, a decent 5mpix camera with a xenon flash, get the screen a bit bigger, a trackpad, maybe an FM radio, a multi format video player..... u got ur self one of the best devices in the world>>>

I hated the size and feel of the 9000. It was huge. Put a hard case on it and it felt like a brick. I dumped it the day the 9700 came out. The battery life on the 9000 was terrible. It was like having a Iphone - always had to be with 10 feet of a charger. A higher mp camera isn't going to do all that much. It's a phone.
    07-12-10 12:56 PM
    I don't.....

People need to understand what maybe perfect to them is not prefect to another user. And just deal with it... It's life... And it's natural thinking....

But companies are going to adapt to what the majority wants. We see it with all manufactures, computers, kitchen appliances, etc.

The thing is here on CB we have over 2 million users who all want something different and some don't like how a company is ran.....

Think of it as a 3rd party app or theme. Tons of users want additions and add on's........

Not everyone can be pleased. So people vent about it. Nothing wrong with it. But we can not change the users minds on what they think or feel. What ever works for them, may not work for you.
    +1 agreed

07-12-10 01:08 PM
    I've owned an 8310, 8900, 9000, and 9700. By far my favorite of all was the
    Bold 9000. That thing was the easiest and most comfortable to type on.
    07-12-10 01:11 PM
    I think RIM is aware of their position (we'd hope so!)...the problem is the minute you get complacent, sit back and feel satisfied, the latest trends will pass you by. RIM is catching up...but very slowly. Innovation doesn't necessarily mean you have to create the next 2GHZ processor or front-facing camera, but to have the processes in place so that when a new creation does occur (WebKit browser, pinch/zoom, etc) you have all the pieces to respond and adapt quickly. I feel that somewhere between the Curve 8330 and original Bold, they slowed down.

What would be worse is if they weren't aware...and reading some opinions on this board you get the sense that maybe this is the case...comparing popular consumer devices to "toys" and claiming users really don't need the features that sell...but it looks like they are taking steps in the right direction.
    07-12-10 01:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD