As a wise man once said "There is no law against being stupid".
    I'm sure if it's about stupidity or rather more about being honest.
    Just censoring unpleasant questions also is the wrong way.
    12-15-16 01:39 PM
    OP, BB just have to find their footing in software and start to make money, like google ads (the only thing that make money for them). they might started hardware again (if their licensing contract not signed as stupid as exclusive for themselves to do so). The danger is the software only may not carry the weight too far (not as money making subscription fee of OS7). however, it is for BB to keep one eye open on the OS, the tide might turn... because this: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...ial-discipline
    Slash82 likes this.
    12-15-16 01:45 PM
    OP, BB just have to find their footing in software and start to make money, like google ads (the only thing that make money for them). they might started hardware again (if their licensing contract not signed as stupid as exclusive for themselves to do so). The danger is the software only may not carry the weight too far (not as money making subscription fee of OS7). however, it is for BB to keep one eye open on the OS, the tide might turn... because this: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...ial-discipline
    I can underline absolutely what you are writing here!
    But my point is, that it's not right how they treat OS10 users.
    Wanting money from them for new devices, telling them that they didn't listen properly - because they offer full commitment to OS10 and then just "keeping it alive with security patches" is just wrong.
    OS10.3.3 was done before that.

New ways are ok. But this is not right IMO.
    12-15-16 01:50 PM
    Those are words that came up"just" came up time by time...

Just like outsourcing their hardware department.
    You were the one who said I'm crazy that this would happen as I pointed at their "Software is the new BlackBerry".
    Less than a week later it happened.

But let my quote your own words - to the roadmap:

"I believe something happened to change that initial decision. Perhaps due to a new requirement on behalf of a licencee.
    Everyone wants a precise road map, but it's hard to do when you have a fast moving target."

You contradict yourself.

This is what a roadmap looks like:

And it doesn't matter if it's about devices, software, servers, SDKs or anything else.
    You're just plain frustrating.

I was referring to BlackBerry Android. What I said is what I still believe.
    12-15-16 01:58 PM
    You're just plain frustrating.

I was referring to BlackBerry Android. What I said is what I still believe.
    So, just make a roadmaps for one product you have (maybe at best the most popular one at the time) and let the rest happen, you are saying?
    Investors must love that.
    12-15-16 02:00 PM
    So, just make a roadmaps for one product you have (maybe at best the most popular one at the time) and let the rest happen, you are saying?
    Investors must love that.
    Road map:

1) BB10: security updates, potential future devices from licencees

2) BlackBerry Android: potential future devices from licencees, pkb unit for sure, continued development of software

There.
    12-15-16 02:11 PM
    Road map:

1) BB10: security updates, potential future devices from licencees

2) BlackBerry Android: potential future devices from licencees, pkb unit for sure, continued development of software

There.
    You can't be serious with that.
    12-15-16 02:14 PM
    You can't be serious with that.
    Dead serious. What's hard to understand?
    12-15-16 02:16 PM
    Please read the whole thing:

"...And we haven�t forgotten that people use BlackBerry 10 outside the workplace, either...."

Just a few lines from that.
    Hahahaha.....some people here seems to read less and blabber more! Especially those who went to Blackdroid and when something to read is about BB10!

I agree with u OP. Not about whatsapp and FB. But about BBM. And also about taking down ur post. It was so unlikely and coward behavior from them.

Q10SQN100-3/10.3.3.2049
    Slash82 and miki5 like this.
    12-15-16 02:17 PM
    Dead serious. What's hard to understand?
    If you show me an official one - I will take that serious.
    All you do is making up your mind, what probably could/would/should/can happen.
    No facts, nothing official, just guessing.

Then you also would have seen BlackBerry exiting the in-house hardware business.
    You also dined it until the week before it happened.
    12-15-16 02:20 PM
    Hahahaha.....some people here seems to read less and blabber more! Especially those who went to Blackdroid and when something to read is about BB10!

I agree with u OP. Not about whatsapp and FB. But about BBM. And also about taking down ur post. It was so unlikely and coward behavior from them.

Q10SQN100-3/10.3.3.2049
    Thank you for that!
    12-15-16 02:20 PM
    If you show me an official one - I will take that serious.
    All you do is making up your mind, what probably could/would/should/can happen.
    No facts, nothing official, just guessing.

Then you also would have seen BlackBerry exiting the in-house hardware business.
    You also dined it until the week before it happened.
    What is the contentious point? These are well established facts. No one is debating this. BlackBerry has been crystal clear on this.
    12-15-16 02:23 PM
    What is the contentious point? These are well established facts. No one is debating this. BlackBerry has been crystal clear on this.
    Please just come up with a real and "BlackBerry official" roadmap for 2017 - made by BlackBerry.
    And we surely can debate about it.
    This is getting us to nowhere and also is leading us too deep into off-topic.
    12-15-16 02:25 PM
    Please just come up with a real and "BlackBerry official" roadmap for 2017 - made by BlackBerry.
    I posted the official road map above. That's it.
    12-15-16 02:27 PM
    No one is arguing with that. What I'm saying is that BlackBerry themselves need to read this statement of yours and just shut up about BB10.

They are not being clever, or doing themselves any favors, by publishing these "no, no, no, really we really are committed to BB10. Why don't you guys get that??!" rants. What is the point of this blog post of theirs?

It's like calling your ex-girlfriend and expressing your unending commitment to the relationship when you've already married someone else and just had your first child. All it does it make you look like you can't move on, don't understand commitment, and are really unsure about your future.

Again, for me this isn't about BB10 and its future. BB10 is dead. This is about BlackBerry's future as an investment and their continuing failures in PR and marketing. I see this blog post as evidence that they are still tone deaf when it comes to PR.

Where I work we have old products that we still have to support, even 10+ years after we've stopped selling them. Everyone does. The difference is we don't talk about those products, we just quietly support them. We talk about the things we want people to buy today and tomorrow like any company with even a decent PR group and a decent CMO.
    It's more like having a kid with your ex and breaking up with or divorcing the ex. You're still going to be there for the kid but that doesn't mean you and the ex are in a committed relationship anymore. You have a relationship still but it's different from before.
    12-15-16 02:58 PM
    12-15-16 03:05 PM
    BlackBerry has been clear on their website. Too many diehards fans are looking for a sliver of hope that isn't there. Company is willing to sell OS10 devices to anyone that has cash. Company is willing to allow someone to build new BB10 devices if they so wish to license BB10. That future company would have to pay for all the new development costs not BlackBerry. Seems pretty simple to me. I've bought, paid for and never sold, every model of BB10 phone and the PRIV. The company delivered what I paid for. What else do they owe me according to you?
    fatclue_98 likes this.
    12-15-16 03:11 PM
    I completely disagree with the OP. I bought my Z10 at launch, and it has only gotten better with each incremental update. My device is still carrier locked (AT&T), and have always just waited for the OTA updates from my carrier, which have been essentially bug-free.

Certainly I'm disappointed the market wasn't more receptive to BB10, and that so many third parties shied away from developing native apps, but I that was a known risk when I chose a niche platform instead of one of the two dominant ones. I'm sure BlackBerry and their shareholders, partners and users also wish that they had been more successful!

But, considering that my phone is almost four years old, long out of warranty, and that it runs better than ever and is still being updated/patched, I consider myself fortunate and would make the same decision to buy my Z10 again. The phone has been a productivity beast year-in and year-out.

Posted via CB10
    12-15-16 04:02 PM
    I've read most of the comments and ignored all the diatribe. After all was said and done, I looked very closely at my receipt for my SE. Maybe my vision's gone whack after 50 but I can't find anywhere in the fine print where BlackBerry owes me any updates, support or even a shoulder to cry on. They do warrant the phone against workmanship or material defects etc., etc, etc. But nary a word regarding what they might do in the future.

In summation, BlackBerry may as well put a Chiffon banner over their logo which reads: I never promised you a rose garden. Along with the sunshine, there's gonna be a little rain sometimes.
    12-15-16 04:21 PM
    Please read the whole thing:

"...And we haven’t forgotten that people use BlackBerry 10 outside the workplace, either...."

Just a few lines from that.
    "that people" is their target audience ... who they now consider enterprise clients.

For those enterprise people, you can use BlackBerry 10 outside the workspace too... and they gave a few examples.

It doesn't mean "people out the workplace using BlackBerry 10". Interpret it whatever way you want, but that is how I read it and I believe what BlackBerry meant.
    12-15-16 04:27 PM
    I'm not part of the millennial generation that think I am owed things. I buy a product based on what it can do for me. If I don't get what I thought I paid for, I suck it up and recognise my mistake.

You bought a product from BlackBerry. It functions as advertised. They promised a security update, and you got it. They miscalculated on the timing, but it is what it is. I don't have trouble sleeping at night.
    After PlayBook fiasco, as one of the owners of the device, I think that they own big time to correct, actually to prevent repeating same error with BB10. BlackBerry treats its customers like they are idiots. I'm not going to support company that a) Doesn't support its own device b) Lies about support c) Doesn't want to open source and allow us to use our devices with something else. We bought the hardware, we have the right to load the software we choose, as long as it is compatible with hardware components.
    Slash82 likes this.
    12-15-16 05:14 PM
    After PlayBook fiasco, as one of the owners of the device, I think that they own big time to correct, actually to prevent repeating same error with BB10. BlackBerry treats its customers like they are idiots. I'm not going to support company that a) Doesn't support its own device b) Lies about support c) Doesn't want to open source and allow us to use our devices with something else. We bought the hardware, we have the right to load the software we choose, as long as it is compatible with hardware components.
    Not sure where to start as everything you wrote is wrong.

a) The Z10 came out in 2013, and still gets updates today. They promised security updates, and that's what is being delivered.

b) BlackBerry, back in Oct 2015, said that they will bring security updates to BB10, with no new features. They miscalculated on the time for NIAP, but whatever. They delivered.

c) Obviously they are not going to open source BB10, as some governments still rely on it. Plus QNX is still important for the company going forward.

I had a PlayBook too, and it functioned exactly as advertised. I still use it occasionally today - over 4 years later. BlackBerry thought they could further enhance it with BB10, but ultimately, the hardware couldn't handle it.

As a customer, I have received excellent value for money over the years. If you don't feel the same way, then don't buy another product from them. Simple.
    12-15-16 05:22 PM
    I can't think of any good games for Dreamcast, other than Sonic Adventure, Fantasy Star Online, and Crazy Taxi.
    Don't want to get side tracked too much, but there is a ton of great games for Dreamcast: Soul Calibur, and all the 2K sports titles that at the time were way ahead of EA. And tons of innovation like Seaman, Chu Chu Rocket, Space Channel 5, etc.

The comparsion with BlackBerry isn't that far off. Sometimes being better is simply not enough: ask any webOS user.

Posted via CB10
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    12-15-16 05:35 PM
    Not sure where to start as everything you wrote is wrong.

a) The Z10 came out in 2013, and still gets updates today. They promised security updates, and that's what is being delivered.

b) BlackBerry, back in Oct 2015, said that they will bring security updates to BB10, with no new features. They miscalculated on the time for NIAP, but whatever. They delivered.

c) Obviously they are not going to open source BB10, as some governments still rely on it. Plus QNX is still important for the company going forward.

I had a PlayBook too, and it functioned exactly as advertised. I still use it occasionally today - over 4 years later. BlackBerry thought they could further enhance it with BB10, but ultimately, the hardware couldn't handle it.

As a customer, I have received excellent value for money over the years. If you don't feel the same way, then don't buy another product from them. Simple.
    a) They only support it in the sphere of security updates.
    b) They should announce EOL and provide some security patches down the road and announce EOS at some time like MS did with XP.
    c) That's a plain lie. Making something open source wouldn't affect them at all. When HP ditched WebOS they've opened the device bootloader so that people could load Android if they wanted. BlackBerry? Sony allows you to unlock your bootloader if you request it via their website and there is no concern about security. Open sourcing BlackBerry 10 isn't impossible.
    Either open source it or unlock bootloader to let us load what we want.
    d) No it didn't and that's just marketing 101.
    As a customer the only thing I've received was 10.2.1 that was worth something, and that was it.
    BB-JAM215 likes this.
    12-15-16 05:41 PM
    a) They only support it in the sphere of security updates.
    b) They should announce EOL and provide some security patches down the road and announce EOS at some time like MS did with XP.
    c) That's a plain lie. Making something open source wouldn't affect them at all. When HP ditched WebOS they've opened the device bootloader so that people could load Android if they wanted. BlackBerry? Sony allows you to unlock your bootloader if you request it via their website and there is no concern about security. Open sourcing BlackBerry 10 isn't impossible.
    Either open source it or unlock bootloader to let us load what we want.
    d) No it didn't and that's just marketing 101.
    As a customer the only thing I've received was 10.2.1 that was worth something, and that was it.
    The fact is, BlackBerry delivered what they promised for BB10. You are upset they are unwilling to do more for an OS that did not succeed. Fine.

BlackBerry is not going to unlock their bootloader. Plus a BlackBerry device is hardware coded to only accept software signed by BlackBerry. They won't unravel all that so you can play with it.
    stlabrat likes this.
    12-15-16 06:45 PM
161 ... 23456 ...