Hi friends,

a couple of days BlackBerry posted an article in their own Blog on "Inside BlackBerry".
    They named it:
    "Clearing the Air: Five Things Everyone Should Know About the New BlackBerry"
    Here is the link to it: Clearing the Air: Five Things Everyone Should Know About the New BlackBerry

[But actually, it's also the article that was on the Crackberry's homepage the past few days ago.]

I read through it and the final words of it were:
    "...Anyone who says otherwise simply hasn’t been paying attention."

At this point it got emotional for me and I had to "clear the air" for my frustration as OS10 user - and to those repeating (to me empty) words on OS10. I felt really provoked especially from that last words.

So I wrote following comment, to see what or even if BlackBerry would reply to it!
    My intention never was to insult or something like that - and so I don't think this comment would be a reason to hold it back.

So, here is what I wrote:
    "Everytime I read how commited BlackBerry is to OS10 I die a little!
    Then I look at my beloved Z10, Classic, Leap and (currently using) Passport SE and realized how many 'great' updates I got since early 2015 - and how less usuable it got since back then.
    With every update there were some things to give up (like Hub integration for Facebook).
    OS10.3.3 was in the 'final stages' since February 2016 - considering to BlackBerry.
    And still my carrier won't roll it out even it got official.
    There is lots of other (also consumer)software with that certificate and those developers didn't dance around like that!
    I truely expected OS10.3.4 at this time (as it was promised).
    Now, I don't know if it ever will see the light of day!
    If true commitment means that kind of support for most loyal users (who faithfully carried you through the transition) - I mean just look at the last developer summit where OS10 was cut out, Blend is EOL, those new BBM HTML5 action cut out for OS10, Android Runtime is that old that it gets to a point where it soon be useless for latest .apks, etc. - it's impossible to have faith in those words and in BlackBerry!
    It hurts to write that down, because my BlackBerry has always been my reliable 'partner' for over a decade!
    And actions would have shown more than those empty words!
    (you even did more for OS7 back then as OS10 launched)
    You should really question yourself why people think that OS10 is EOL and what have you done for OS10 the past 2 years.
    Realize?"

What do you think to that?
    What do you say BlackBerry just blocking this kind of comments/questions?
    Is this a good way to deal with that?
    It was a 1:1 reply to what they spread out.

I totally know that many of you might have different point of views and disagree with me - but to me that's totally fine!
    But I still think even if BlackBerry says, that people like me "didn't pay attention" - it's not a reason to block a comment that no one can see it, even if they don't want to reply.
    There must be a reason why people say why OS10 is "dead".

That does not give me more "trust" in what they write, say or claim to do.
    YesAndNo and miki5 like this.
    12-14-16 11:39 AM
    Chill out. OS10 is a rock solid OS like OS 7.

Speaks volumes about it not getting patches upon patches unlike Android.

Sure you lost Facebook integration. But blend works fine even now.

Android is their current OS. Not just theirs. Everyone's except apple products.

You should start weighing in on the advantages BB android offers versus other Android OEM.

It may not be much.

But hey apple and oranges don't compare right.

BB10 was the apple and it still is the apple with its capability.

For now they manufacture oranges... so you either talk about oranges or just stick to your fine apple and forget the oranges.
    TheAuthority likes this.
    12-14-16 11:46 AM
    Blackberry 10 is like the dreamcast (sega), it had everithing to be the Best, goog games (Shemmue, crazy taxi, the good sonic 3d games, etc etc) a superb (for the time and overall for the gaming gen on that time) specs that gave very good graphics to its games (see Shemmue) and a properly made online (Just like the psn and xbox live of these days) where you was able to play online and buy games online, everithing looked so good and ready to sell tons, but guess what?, it died quickly, and got discontinued before even reaching the middle life of a console (being launched on 1999 and killed (not really because it recently got new games but for the actual mainstream it did) on 2001 or 2002 IIRC), and the actual excuse that Sega put on that very big failure, was casually, it's users, they abandoned the dreamcast just like BlackBerry Users did with BlackBerry 10, the Story repeats again, so I see BlackBerry as the Sega of the mobile companies

Posted via CB10
    onlybuggin likes this.
    12-14-16 11:58 AM
    Blackberry 10 is like the dreamcast (sega), it had everithing to be the Best, goog games (Shemmue, crazy taxi, the good sonic 3d games, etc etc) a superb (for the time and overall for the gaming gen on that time) specs that gave very good graphics to its games (see Shemmue) and a properly made online (Just like the psn and xbox live of these days) where you was able to play online and buy games online, everithing looked so good and ready to sell tons, but guess what?, it died quickly, and got discontinued before even reaching the middle life of a console (being launched on 1999 and killed (not really because it recently got new games but for the actual mainstream it did) on 2001 or 2002 IIRC), and the actual excuse that Sega put on that very big failure, was casually, it's users, they abandoned the dreamcast just like BlackBerry Users did with BlackBerry 10, the Story repeats again, so I see BlackBerry as the Sega of the mobile companies

Posted via CB10
    I can't think of any good games for Dreamcast, other than Sonic Adventure, Fantasy Star Online, and Crazy Taxi.
    12-14-16 12:35 PM
    I can't think of any good games for Dreamcast, other than Sonic Adventure, Fantasy Star Online, and Crazy Taxi.
    Shemmue was a bad game for you?

Posted via CB10
    12-14-16 12:36 PM
    OP, I'm not sure what you're going on about.

BlackBerry promised NIAP certification and some security tweaks (browser). That's it. They delivered it - late, but did.

You did not do any favours for BlackBerry during "the transition". You carried a BB10 device because you wanted to and thought it provided the best feature set for your needs. BlackBerry owes you absolutely nothing more.

They lost billions on BB10 and have moved on from devices to become a software security company.

Let it go.
    12-14-16 01:24 PM
    Thanks to all your replies!

Posted via CB10
    12-14-16 02:03 PM
    OP, I'm not sure what you're going on about.

BlackBerry promised NIAP certification and some security tweaks (browser). That's it. They delivered it - late, but did.

You did not do any favours for BlackBerry during "the transition". You carried a BB10 device because you wanted to and thought it provided the best feature set for your needs. BlackBerry owes you absolutely nothing more.

They lost billions on BB10 and have moved on from devices to become a software security company.

Let it go.
    I still don't see that the right way to handle customers.

You say that's the right way how to handle that?
    It's not about OS10 itself.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Slash82; 12-14-16 at 02:16 PM.
    JulesDB, Carl Estes, miki5 and 1 others like this.
    12-14-16 02:04 PM
    I don't think the issue is their "support" for BB10, the issue is the blog post itself. It's disingenuous, confusing to investors and users alike (the opposite of clearing the air), and I think it undermines BB's credibility.

I'm having a hard time understanding why there is so much obfuscation around their phone plans and their BBM plans. I think they (BB) think they are being clever, but they really aren't. The problem is if people start to believe that what BB is doing for BB10 is "commitment", then what will they conclude about the other products that BB is actually, truly, no lying, really committed to?
    Slash82, DrBoomBotz, miki5 and 1 others like this.
    12-14-16 02:05 PM
    I don't think the issue is their "support" for BB10, the issue is the blog post itself. It's disingenuous, confusing to investors and users alike (the opposite of clearing the air), and I think it undermines BB's credibility.

I'm having a hard time understanding why there is so much obfuscation around their phone plans and their BBM plans. I think they (BB) think they are being clever, but they really aren't. The problem is if people start to believe that what BB is doing for BB10 is "commitment", then what will they conclude about the other products that BB is actually, truly, no lying, really committed to?
    Thank you for that!
    You got the point I meant!

Not the "old topic" OS10 itself!

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes likes this.
    12-14-16 02:15 PM
    I still don't see that the right way to handle customers.

You say that's the right way how to handle that?

Posted via CB10
    I'm not part of the millennial generation that think I am owed things. I buy a product based on what it can do for me. If I don't get what I thought I paid for, I suck it up and recognise my mistake.

You bought a product from BlackBerry. It functions as advertised. They promised a security update, and you got it. They miscalculated on the timing, but it is what it is. I don't have trouble sleeping at night.
    DueNorthBB, fatclue_98 and Gajja like this.
    12-14-16 02:18 PM
    I'm not part of the millennial generation that think I am owed things. I buy a product based on what it can do for me. If I don't get what I thought I paid for, I suck it up and recognise my mistake.

You bought a product from BlackBerry. It functions as advertised. They promised a security update, and you got it. They miscalculated on the timing, but it is what it is. I don't have trouble sleeping at night.
    Thanks for your reply!
    I think you don't get the point I meant.
    It's not about OS10 itself...

Please read app_Developer reply in here.
    He caught my thought to that.
    Zeratul57 likes this.
    12-14-16 02:20 PM
    Thanks for your reply!
    I think you don't get the point I meant.
    It's not about OS10 itself...

Please read app_Developer reply in here.
    He caught my thought to that.
    But you seem upset. So, I'm asking you what your specific loss has been. How have YOU been damaged?
    12-14-16 02:28 PM

I guess I've never read more into the commitment beyond what BlackBerry promised.

Since Oct of 2015, BlackBerry was crystal clear on what they planned for BB10:

"...we are confirming plans to release platform updates focused on security and privacy enhancements..."

In 10.3.3, we got NIAP, and browser enhancements (certificates, anti-phish, etc).

Commitment is binary. The only alternative is to have announced EOL, which would have been even less truthful.
    12-14-16 02:34 PM
    But you seem upset. So, I'm asking you what your specific loss has been. How have YOU been damaged?
    I really was upset about that post!
    Thing is that BlackBerry does not show that commitment they are telling us.
    Always just "half-baked" solutions with OS10.

-What about EOL of Blend?
    -What about now Android-Runtime update?
    -New features in OS10?
    -Developer summit - with support for Android, iOS, Windows, but NOT OS10.
    -BBM video between iOS & Android work
    -BBM on OS10 just gets minor bugfixes.
    -Password Keeper on Android became more advanced than on OS10.

Even if they won't bring up any new devices.
    When they are claiming FULL COMMITMENT to OS10 - then they should deliver!

If they put OS10 on OS7 status (what they are doing)- then they should tell us!

But saying we don't pay attention is just ridiculous!

Some love might wouldn't bring up that EOL feeling!
    Or at least they shouldn't say that they are fully committed!

Would you say they are as they claim?

Posted via CB10
    12-14-16 02:41 PM
    I really was upset about that post!
    Thing is that BlackBerry does not show that commitment they are telling us.
    Always just "half-baked" solutions with OS10.

-What about EOL of Blend?
    -What about now Android-Runtime update?
    -New features in OS10?
    -Developer summit - with support for Android, iOS, Windows, but NOT OS10.
    -BBM video between iOS & Android work
    -BBM on OS10 just gets minor bugfixes.
    -Password Keeper on Android became more advanced than on OS10.

Even if they won't bring up any new devices.
    When they are claiming FULL COMMITMENT to OS10 - then they should deliver!

If they put OS10 on OS7 status (what they are doing)- then they should tell us!

But saying we don't pay attention is just ridiculous!

Some love might wouldn't bring up that EOL feeling!
    Or at least they shouldn't say that they are fully committed!

Would you say they are as they claim?

Posted via CB10
    "...we are confirming plans to release platform updates focused on security and privacy enhancements...no update to Android Runtime...no updates to the SDK.." BlackBerry - Oct, 2015

Mission accomplished.
    12-14-16 02:43 PM
    "...we are confirming plans to release platform updates focused on security and privacy enhancements...no update to Android Runtime...no updates to the SDK.." BlackBerry - Oct, 2015

Mission accomplished.
    That does just explains questions to the OS itself.
    What about the other things?
    BBM?
    Blend?
    Link?
    BlackBerry apps?

Posted via CB10
    12-14-16 02:56 PM
    Speaks volumes about it not getting patches upon patches unlike Android.
    That there's no userbase to justify patching vulnerabilities, or not even enough to go looking for them in the first place?
    12-14-16 02:59 PM
    That does just explains questions to the OS itself.
    What about the other things?
    BBM?
    Blend?
    Link?
    BlackBerry apps?

Posted via CB10
    I see none of those items in their commitment blog.

User numbers simply don't justify future development.
    12-14-16 03:12 PM
    I think OP is firstly upset that his comment on BlackBerry's blog was blocked or censored (I checked and it's not there). In this regard, I fully agree that he may feel frustrated or upset if the administrator of the BlackBerry blog has indeed censored his comment.

Furthermore, he seems to have a point in that the article is misleading and perhaps irritating to many users, specially on the consumer side.

For instance, citing the WhatsApp and Facebook affairs is a mistake, IMHO, as BlackBerry did really nothing (apart from some tweets) to keep those apps on BB10. From what I understand, it was WhatsApp's decision to extend the app's life on BB10, not BlackBerry's doing. While the replacement of the Facebook app was nothing more than a shortcut to the mobile Web page.

Something BlackBerry doesn't bother to realise or simply doesn't care about, is that while it has shifted to become a software company, in the eyes of the average Joe is still seen as the company that makes phones. Many of their products are still offered all over the world to non-corporate consumers. IIRC, ShopBlackBerry still sells the Passport and the Leap, as well as their accesories. At the same time BlackBerry World is filled with complains and negative comments from consumers all around the globe.

My question in this regard is, how can BlackBerry benefit from its software offering, not on the corporate side, while having a bad image for many consumers?

I love BB10 for what it is and still does at the moment, it's unfortunate that it was not sustainable enough and it is sad to see such a good product dying slowly.

Likewise, I also have a PRIV and recognise the potential of Android and its millions of apps offering. But there is still little to nothing that I can accomplish on it that I cannot on my Passport, although this might change over time and surely varies from user to user.

I can understand the OP's frustration as he has invested in products which were originally sold with certain promised support. An example which comes to my mind is having full access to apps from the Amazon App store, while in reality BB10 devices were whitelisted for several apps. Likewise, not having true app compatibility across all BB10 devices could be seen as lack of support. By this I mean, for instance, apps on BBW only available for the Q10 and Z10, but not for later devices.

Perhaps BlackBerry is right about one thing: we didn't pay attention, but not "lately" and rather from way before, back in 2013 when BB10 was launched. Many of us should have seen the writing on the wall, that the platform was destined for doom.

BTW, something which caught my attention from an "official" answer to one of the comments on the blog, was that BBM is now under development by another company. Checking bbm.com and this is indeed the case. Something which should raise many questions about user's privacy and data handling no longer in BlackBerry's hands.

Posted with my powerful and masterful  Passport!
    Last edited by JG_Agustin; 12-14-16 at 03:56 PM.
    12-14-16 03:40 PM
    OP is playing the victim cheerleader again.
    Elephant_Canyon and CNX66 like this.
    12-14-16 05:08 PM
    OP is playing the victim cheerleader again.
    Let him do it, much people here feels like him (I accepted reality and than BlackBerry 10 is just a failure, but a ton of people haven't yet)

Posted via CB10
    12-14-16 05:20 PM
    If you're not happy with the device support, there's a solution. You're not going to like it, but just don't buy another BlackBerry.

Back in 2011, I bought a Sony Tablet S. It got updated from Android Honeycomb to ICS, but then the updates stopped -- and stopped within a year. The bootloader is locked, so you can't even upgrade it yourself. I told myself at that point, no more Sony devices. I will never buy another.

My opinion on BB10 -- and it's just that, an opinion -- is that it's amazing that we're getting updates at all, given the meltdown that has occurred. Most companies that die or kill a product line do it a lot more quickly, and leave you with a completely unsupported device.

Now about that blog post. Let's just say BlackBerry's public relations are a clusterf*** and be done with it.
    12-14-16 11:14 PM
    Blackberry could have been more transparent about the EOL of the runtime feature. We know why or think we do but many do not.
    Slash82 likes this.
    12-14-16 11:49 PM
    What do you think to that?
    What do you say BlackBerry just blocking this kind of comments/questions?
    Is this a good way to deal with that?
    It was a 1:1 reply to what they spread out.

I totally know that many of you might have different point of views and disagree with me - but to me that's totally fine!
    But I still think even if BlackBerry says, that people like me "didn't pay attention" - it's not a reason to block a comment that no one can see it, even if they don't want to reply.
    There must be a reason why people say why OS10 is "dead".

That does not give me more "trust" in what they write, say or claim to do.
    -I think you are upset because your expectations were not met when they've clearly made it known to the public that those kind of expectations should not be expected.
    -Blocking that kind of comment is okay so as not to cause an unnecessary uproar about nothing.
    -Yes, it's a good way to deal with it.

Eversince BlackBerry announced that 10.3.3 is coming, they made it known that it's just security updates, no new features, no new nothing. So expecting more than that is entirely your own fault.

OS7 has stopped getting anything new for a long time now and no one is making noise about that while should OS10 be a different case.

BlackBerry moved on from OS7 to OS10 and now they are saying they are going Android. Just accept and move with flow. If you can't, stay where you are, then switch device platforms.

Yes, they said they are committed to BlackBerry 10. Their commitment level here is just security. They want OS10 users to continue to feel secured even though nothing new is coming to them. This same thing was promised to OS7 users, so what exactly is the problem?

I agree with BlackBerry, people have not been paying attention.
    12-15-16 01:01 AM
161 123 ...