I've looking at the BB 9930 as my next phone. My current phone is an iPhone 4. It's definitely been reliable but I want a QWERTY keyboard and the choices are limited on Verizon.

I'm not too worried about a lack of apps as out of the dozens I've bought on my iPhone, I maybe only use one or two (usually productivity/util).

Do you think a BB 9930 would be sufficient for a new user to RIM/BB? I know BB10 is coming in the next year and I figure I can upgrade when the time comes if I've been happy with the 9930.

I have noticed quite a few people mentioning their 9930s breaking - is that an issue? I really just need a fairly rugged, reliable phone for hashing out emails.
    08-23-12 08:35 PM
    I've looking at the BB 9930 as my next phone. My current phone is an iPhone 4. It's definitely been reliable but I want a QWERTY keyboard and the choices are limited on Verizon.

I'm not too worried about a lack of apps as out of the dozens I've bought on my iPhone, I maybe only use one or two (usually productivity/util).

Do you think a BB 9930 would be sufficient for a new user to RIM/BB? I know BB10 is coming in the next year and I figure I can upgrade when the time comes if I've been happy with the 9930.

I have noticed quite a few people mentioning their 9930s breaking - is that an issue? I really just need a fairly rugged, reliable phone for hashing out emails.
    You should get the 9930! Mine just came in the mail today.
    My other one broke, but that was MY fault because I dropped it while running.
    Their great phones, really reliable & for the most part built pretty sturdy.
    I say go for it.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk
    08-24-12 03:04 PM
    I left my 9800 for a HTC One X back in June. I wanted to test out another platform while waiting on BB10. A few days ago I sold it to someone for the cost of my phone bill and a 9900. Its good to be back with BlackBerry world.
    08-25-12 11:45 PM
    after 2 years wit the android i finally has enough it just wasn't doing it for me any more to many problems and the poor battery life i was able to get half a day on the phone..

but i returned back to black berry after a friend of mine let me play around wit hes bold an i felt in love wit right way , the feel the speed and the os was stable ..

so last 8/23/12 y i went n picked up a bold9930 on verizon and i have no complaints so far and the battery life is great on it ..

can any one suggest ant good apps ?/
    bb624 likes this.
    08-26-12 11:13 AM
    I left my 2+ year old Torch 9800 for an HTC OneX back in mid-June....I sold it for just enough to pay for a new BlackBerry Bold 9800. I am happy with my choice to return.
    08-27-12 10:37 PM
    Picked up a used OG bold last nite for a steal. Still keeping my i4s but I missed the buttons and form factor of th Bold.
    08-28-12 12:31 PM
    after 2 years wit the android i finally has enough it just wasn't doing it for me any more to many problems and the poor battery life i was able to get half a day on the phone..

but i returned back to black berry after a friend of mine let me play around wit hes bold an i felt in love wit right way , the feel the speed and the os was stable ..

so last 8/23/12 y i went n picked up a bold9930 on verizon and i have no complaints so far and the battery life is great on it ..

can any one suggest ant good apps ?/
    Welcome! Love my 9930 and PB. Tons of good apps for BB check out App world and CB apps.
    08-28-12 12:50 PM
    Hello BlackBerry mates.

I'm a phone junkie, and as such, I'm always in search of the perfect device. Just this year alone, I've been through 4 phones. I should probably start back in February of this year.

I decided after a few months with my LG Prime, I wanted a phone that could do more. So, I started pricing plans and phones, and after a few weeks, I settled with a Samsung Exhibit II 4G on T-Mobile's $30 5GB/100 minute plan.

The phone itself was OK... After cleaning up the bloatware. This was my first beef with Android: manufactures and carriers place apps that can't be removed, and have deep tenterhooks in RAM, thus making your phone slow as all get out.

My next beef was with the keyboard. Android allows you to swap the stock keyboard for a third-part alternative, which is great. However, it took me a long time to finally settle into one that I liked. That happened to be SwiftKey, which has next word prediction, meaning I wouldn't have to type AS much. I still wasn't very fond of having to input any kind of text on the phone.

My third came about in June. It became apparent to me that the Exhibit was a multimedia device first, and a communications device second. It lacked a certain je ne sais quoi (I probably attributed that to the lack of call/end buttons, but I don't think that's it) whenever I used it as a phone. It might have been that I had to go through about 5 to 6 movements to call someone, as opposed to just 3 on my previous phone. I still can't put my finger on it.

In July, I decided to go back to a dumbphone. My aunt had a Nokia C3 she used (by used, I mean abused; how does a grade school teacher mess up a Nokia?) a while before she went to a smartphone and she let me have it.
    That was a nice phone. It's BlackBerry-esque with a full keyboard in portrait. I liked it, but the keyboard was a little cramped with very little space between each key. I often ended up hitting two letters on accident.

A few weeks later(or earlier this month), in an effort to have a physically newer phone and a better, I buy Sharp PV300GR, better known as a Danger Hiptop or a T-Mobile Sidekick. I'm currently using it as my phone right now.
    The keyboard is a little shallow, but it's better than the Nokia. I like the mood lights and the fact that the trackball lights up to notify me of a new message (but it won't distinguish between types, I have to rely on the tone for that.) I love the fact that it has a wealth of physical shortcuts. The Jump button is aptly named, you can get anywhere on the phone quickly.
    One niggle I do have about this phone is that it's virtually impossible to use with one hand. If you need to call someone quickly, you pretty much have to drop everything to use the phone. That's not practical.
    It's somewhat abated with speed dials, but you can only make 8 of them...

Now we come to a few days ago when I decided to jump back to smartphones. But, I had highly stringent requirements:
    *Portrait keyboard
    *No touchscreens
    *Wi-Fi
    *3G
    *Long battery life (More than a day without recharging)
    *Notification LED(Not vital, but my Sidekick spoiled me)
    *Not terribly expensive(I really don't like spending much more than $200 on a phone)

That pretty much leaves the BlackBerry. (I was going to get a Nokia Asha 302, but the keyboard issues of the C3 worried me.) After searching the many models, I decided to go with the Curve 9320. However, seeing as it's not available in the USA, I decided to forgo the GSM capabilities and get a Curve 9310 on Boost Mobile.

This phone is pretty amazing. It rarely ever hangs. The web browser is better than the options I had on my Exhibit. It's crazy fast. And the keyboard? At first I thought it was going to be crappy(especially looking at pictures online, compared to the Bold 9900),but oh my deity, it's leagues ahead of the Sidekick and Nokia. It's even better than my old Samsung Intensity, which had a landscape slide out keyboard. Oh, and don't even get me started on Advance OS and LED(if you don't have it, get it! It's free!)

I haven't activated it yet, I plan to do it at the end of September. Looking forward, I may get a BB10 device, but it depends if they will get rid of the trackpad and call/menu/back/end keys. Even over the past 3 days, I've come to love those buttons and would be really sad to see them go.

Anyway, that's my story. I've come to really like BlackBerry in my short time with it, and I hope to like it even more in the coming months.
    08-31-12 02:34 PM
    Just got the 9930 after having a nexus s for 8months. I've had a pearl, 8330, 9650 before that so I've been a blackberry user for a while. This 9930 is a great device and I couldn't be happier with it. It has a very responsive touchscreen which I loved about my nexus, and it also has a great physical keyboard which is what kept me with the blackberry brand all those years passed.
    I guess I just needed to see what all the fuss was about with android, but I'm back with Blackberry and couldn't be happier.
    09-02-12 01:35 AM
    Well today's the day. I'm going to pick up a 9900 on trade. Been on the ip4s for over a year now. I picked up a used Bold 9000 for $40 last week, popped in my sim and the smile came back! Typing a text was awesome all over. I even texted people don't rarely text just to feel and hear that click. LED light? Yep caught myself picking up the phone just to see of the blinky was well blinking.
    So fast forward to yesterday and I picked up a used htc one x for the purpose of trading it for a 9900. I know "should've just bought a 9900" but the prices here on CL (St Louis) are nuts. I posted the htc for trade and within 10mins got a bite on a Bold 9900. He was trying to sell it in order to get the htc so it will be an even trade. He's selling the 9900 for much more than I paid for the htc (score!!). I'm going to keep my ip4s for entertainment and travel but being able to use bbm and the keyboard is refreshing.
    09-02-12 07:39 AM
    Well today's the day. I'm going to pick up a 9900 on trade. Been on the ip4s for over a year now. I picked up a used Bold 9000 for $40 last week, popped in my sim and the smile came back! Typing a text was awesome all over. I even texted people don't rarely text just to feel and hear that click. LED light? Yep caught myself picking up the phone just to see of the blinky was well blinking.
    So fast forward to yesterday and I picked up a used htc one x for the purpose of trading it for a 9900. I know "should've just bought a 9900" but the prices here on CL (St Louis) are nuts. I posted the htc for trade and within 10mins got a bite on a Bold 9900. He was trying to sell it in order to get the htc so it will be an even trade. He's selling the 9900 for much more than I paid for the htc (score!!). I'm going to keep my ip4s for entertainment and travel but being able to use bbm and the keyboard is refreshing.
    Congrats on the deal and welcome back to BB!
    Hope to see you on the forum sharing your expertise soon!!!
    mark1914 likes this.
    09-02-12 08:15 AM
    This thing is freaking awesom! i havent really put it down since 11am. Wow.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-02-12 02:34 PM
    its about time I get my berry back...havent been on this site in about 7 months and it feels good to be back. Im excited for BB 10 and everything they are about to bring, its going to be very different than anything out right now.
    09-02-12 11:13 PM
    This thing is freaking awesom! i havent really put it down since 11am. Wow.

Until you need an App......
    09-04-12 09:59 AM
    true! Found that out today. Went to check my bank account and realized theres no Wells Fargo app

09-04-12 12:17 PM
    I was pretty happy happy with my iPhone (1st gen)....then I thought of trying android, and bought HTC desire. for me, it was the worst OS i had ever come across. had to abandon it and got my first Blackberry (bold 9780). Used it for 12-13 months and out of nothing, bought iPhone 4s. liked it for all those apps and touch screen....and even bought iPad2...it was going pretty good for 2-3 months..and then, I starting to miss the blackberry...and one fine day, I decided to switch back to BB...and bought myself a shiny new Bold 9900....now I am enjoying my phone again.... I am so fed up with the touch screen, I have never used the touch on 9900...I just miss one app from my iPhone i,e Omnifocus....I still use that app on my iPad.
    09-09-12 11:52 AM
    Was waiting for one to dip below $200 on ebay or Amazon (without attached contract), but alas it was not to be - the things are holding their value. So picked one up new at Sprint for around $340 with a deal my wife cut (think she bought out the contract).

So, my trusty Treo goes back into stand-by mode for now, though it still serves as an excellent alarm clock.

Very pleased with the phone. It's like a much better-built version of my old Tour, with a faster processor and a touch screen. Don't think I'll be replacing it until it breaks.
    09-09-12 12:21 PM
    So I just got on the blackberry band wagon after always having Android. I've always hated the iphone for not being able to customize it. The last phone I had was the HTC EVO 4G. Loved that phone. Was so sad when it finally died. I did think that any phone could replace my love for it. Then I got my hands on a Blackberry Curve 9330. Couldn't be any happier. Its an older model but I'm happy with it. I love the LED lights, email, settings... Ect. I do have like 2 problems... 1.) Bad camera. I like to take pictures. But I am just using my old Android phone to take pictures and then just send then via bluetooth to my blackberry. 2.) I don't know anyone that has BBM, so I can't really use it. I was super excited to use it but have no one to use it with.

Over all, I love blackberry and will stand with them until they no longer exist. I'm really hoping the Blackberry Blade idea takes off. Would love to get my hands one one of those.
    janzeeschuimers likes this.
    09-11-12 07:45 PM
    I'm back...almost. I ordered a "white box" unused unlocked 9900 today so I can keep my contract eligibility for BB10. I spent the last 11 months with Android on a Samsung Galaxy S II after getting tired of waiting for the super-delayed 9900 on AT&T, the huge outage last summer, and the general feeling of eminent demise of BB. I had been on BlackBerry for the previous couple years, with a 9000 and a 9800.

Lots to like about the Android platform and the SGS2, but also lots to miss about the BB platform. When it became clear that I wanted to definitely give BB10 a try, I started getting antsy about moving back to BB sooner rather than later, so I'm ditching Android and the custom ROMs that never "quite" get it 100% right. I hate having to have workarounds for things that would be standard on a BlackBerry...and oh how I have grown to hate typing on a touch screen keyboard even more as time goes by!

Should have the new device in a couple days, really looking forward to being back!
    09-11-12 08:24 PM
    Well not a new phone, but a new BlackBerry nonetheless, I bought myself a PlayBook 32GB model. So far lovin every moment of it!
    09-17-12 08:02 PM
    Switching from a 9930 to a Pre 2, not something that probably happens to much anymore, I love my 9930 but with patches I can get almost all the same feature out of the pre, plus it gets me ready for the more gesture based blackberry 10. Time to see how much I will miss blackberry. Anyone have any thoughts on this or anything to add?
    09-19-12 02:50 PM
    Yea you will love the WebOS software but you're going to run into the same lack of support issue that BlackBerry is having.

I was considering getting a Pre3 as well but the price is just too high right now, for a one year old, out of production device they want ~$275 US for those things and I am not willing to pay it.

The OS though on the PlayBook feels so much like it.
    09-20-12 10:20 AM
    For the past 6 months I've been trying different platforms (WP7, Android) and I finally decided to toss my SIM card back in my Bold 9900. Android was kind of slow and would chug even on my mid-range device. Windows Phone 7 was super fast and smooth, but Slacker Radio wouldn't work on it. I have a subscription to it and I use it every day. The app on BB devices is wonderful so it was kind of depressing.

So now I'm back with Blackberry. It's perfect for me except for the fact there's no decent Podcast solution. I'll probably be picking up the touch screen BB10 device when it's released. It's good to be back. :P
    09-22-12 03:37 PM
    I wanted to stop by and say I just pulled the trigger on a 9350! I have been looking for something BlackBerry for about a month now. My current phone is Android and I have had it for two years so I wanted to give something else a go. The 9350 seemed a pretty good pair for my Playbook!

I'm excited about BB10 and this should hold me over until then as I will be getting one some time after launch.
    09-23-12 11:44 AM
    Howdy peeps. Started my smartphone ownership with an 8100, since then I've owned LOTS of phones. Bit of a tech addict, and as sim free is easy to come by in the UK I've taken advantage over the years. I've left blackberryland twice for Windows phone, and twice for iPhone, but I still keep coming back!

I've owned 8100, 8310, 8900, 9000, 9520, 9000, 9700, 9780, 8520, 9300, 9360 now on a 9300 in fire engine red thanks to O2.
    09-25-12 06:09 PM
568 ... 1314151617 ...