BRING IT!!

My immidiate family is good for 6 devices :P

The Comeback Begins? More Canadians Plan to Buy BlackBerry 10 Devices Than Android - Techvibes.com

While Canada often struggles to avoid being shrouded by America's shadow, we are decidedly different in a few ways. One of those ways is our persistent faith in Research In Motion, the Waterloo-based BlackBerry maker that has been innovating technology since 1984.

While the US has found it very easy to abandon RIM, we Canadians have been uncharaceristically patriotic about defending our homegrown brand. Sure, an array of customers and even Canadian media have thrown RIM around like a ragdoll during the past two years, but the proof is in the pudding: Canadians are not yet giving up on BlackBerry.

This may be difficult for some to believe, but it's reinforced by a recent Forum Research poll performed on behalf of Canadian Business magazine in September. According to the research, 23% of smartphone owners currently use a BlackBerry, just behind Google's Android at 27%. That's much different than the US, where Android cracks 40% and BlackBerry hovers near single digits (it varies slightly by source of data, of course).

Apple still reigns king�35% of Canadian smartphone owners have an iPhone. So no, BlackBerry isn't number one, or even number two in its own country right now. But what's really interesting to note is what type of device people plan to buy next.

According to the data, 18% of mobile users in Canada plan to make their next smartphone a BlackBerry�let's assume BB10, because it's out relatively soon and no one is buying a non-upgradeable Bold 9900 this late in the game. Now, 18% isn't a huge number; indeed, it's lower than the current ownership of 23%. So how is this good news?

Well, only 17% of users plan to buy an Android. Yes, the operating system that's taking over the US is actually poised to lose ground in Canada. Apple's iPhone? Well, it's captured the interest of more than half of Canada's mobile users, so it's not even a remotely close race. But still: RIM clearly has a shot at being number two, at least in Canada.

And let's not forget that Canada is likely the only country in the world where the PlayBook has second-best tablet marketshare at 19%.

We're not surprised. While we don't have many good things to say about BlackBerry OS 7 and the current offering of devices, we're pretty stoked for BB10. Early demonstrations point to an all-new mobile platform that is sleek, efficient, and�this is the key for RIM�innovative.

If RIM can lure enough developers�or successfully port Android apps�the company will be back in the game with an extremely competitive OS that rivals the best of iOS, Android, and Windows.

Whether anyone will care, however, is another question entirely.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    10-08-12 12:13 PM
    My brother is getting rid of his iPhone 4 and waiting for BB10. He's tired of the same old Apple crap. He likes the multitasking on BB10 (even my PB) and the fluidity of it.
    10-08-12 12:20 PM
    Yup!! Got cash for 2 devices at launch and another 500 in reserve for the 'N' when it gets released. My 9900 is doing just fine as the waiting game gets shorter day by day by day. (as long as price stays on par with the 9900, I'll be ok)
    I'm not surprised by the polls. I still see BB's everywhere around Calgary.
    10-08-12 12:29 PM
    I bought my first BlackBerry device last year. A Bold 9900. I gotta say sometimes i question myself why i took so long to buy one. Have been enjoying it so much that i bought a PB. Loving the whole exprience. And believe me when i say that i'll be buying my BB10 device next year.
    PS: was born and living in Africa (Mozambique). Hehehe just thought i should mention that.
    10-08-12 12:36 PM
    I know atleast 10 people getting a bb10 on day 1. Most are switching from IPhone. Looks like concensus is for all-touch devices (no keyboard) and the main reason is the larger screen. I have a tablet for that. Playbook impressions won them over.

Nobody is even considering WP8 and amazingly even the greatest Apple fanboys have realized Apple's arrogance and lack of innovation. Great time to start working on maps . RIM should start the marketing in December so that people can preorder.
    10-08-12 12:46 PM
    Yup!! Got cash for 2 devices at launch and another 500 in reserve for the 'N' when it gets released. My 9900 is doing just fine as the waiting game gets shorter day by day by day. (as long as price stays on par with the 9900, I'll be ok)
    I'm not surprised by the polls. I still see BB's everywhere around Calgary.
    I'm in Calgary too and I see a ton of BB's around everywhere, at least in the downtown core from what I can see. I'll be picking up two BB10, one for my wife and I on launch day for sure.
    pungster likes this.
    10-08-12 12:48 PM
    i see many Mexicans around where i work with the old bulky Nextel 8500-(i think) because its the only blackberry with Radio or radio chat i forget what they always tell me. I have the blackberry ad from may on my playbook and i always show them that and they get extremely excited about it. I think ill loop the video and leave it playing by our blackberry accessories. free advertising hahaha
    10-08-12 12:58 PM
    I'm getting 3-4. I promote BB 10 to everyone I know/meet. People at work ask me, "do you work for those guys? ".
    jenks5150 likes this.
    10-08-12 01:05 PM
    I'll be getting one or two at launch, and another 3 to 4 in August when contracts on the 9900's and 9360's are up.
    10-08-12 03:53 PM
    Well I hope you Canadians can keep RIM a float so this USAer can keep buying too.
    10-08-12 04:17 PM
    I've actually had several current Blackberry users tell me that their phones are wearing out and they don't know what they're going to do because they've heard one way or another that RIM is going out of business and aren't making any more phones. After I tell them that's not true and BB10 is set to be released at the beginning of the year the usual reply I get is "Okay, I can wait for that."

I still see plenty of BB's here in Northern Alberta. More iPhones and hardly any Androids. I only know one WP user. It's very weird how very few Droids there are here. Almost leads me to believe the local stores here are not pushing Androids at all.
    10-08-12 04:26 PM
    Take away Google software from Android and your left with a clunker of an OS that still isn't 100% optimized for multicore.
    10-08-12 04:32 PM
    I think the general population is ready for something "new".

Right now, SGS3 is the de facto "new/different" thing than iPhone. In due time, BB10 will make a comeback and will again be the subject of (positive) conversation among those who aren't tech-heads, geeks, business users, or CBers...
    10-08-12 04:47 PM
    Well I hope you Canadians can keep RIM a float so this USAer can keep buying too.
    Don't chu wuury bout dat dare y...yo.....you Yenkee you! (Best french Canadian accent I could replicate phonetically eh )
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-08-12 04:48 PM
    Ya'll have to do your part too
    10-08-12 05:17 PM
    Ya'll have to do your part too
    Well I do plan on it but not until my contract is up for an upgrade. I can't afford to buy one outright.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    10-08-12 05:24 PM
    Sounds good. People need to hear this kind of stuff. I will definitely suggest BlackBerry to people who are looking for something new. Especially for people who don't want to go the Apple way, they need to know that their are more options out there than Android. Yes, that means Windows Phone 8 as well..
    10-08-12 05:25 PM
    Wife's contract is up at the end of December, and she is really looking forward to BB10. I just got a 9900 this year, so I'm personally not in such a rush, but if I can manage to get one of the limited edition developer models I'll be happy.
    10-08-12 05:40 PM
    I know atleast 10 people getting a bb10 on day 1. Most are switching from IPhone. Looks like concensus is for all-touch devices (no keyboard) and the main reason is the larger screen. I have a tablet for that. Playbook impressions won them over.

Nobody is even considering WP8 and amazingly even the greatest Apple fanboys have realized Apple's arrogance and lack of innovation. Great time to start working on maps . RIM should start the marketing in December so that people can preorder.
    Saw the thread earlier and wasn't going to post, but I guess I"ll be the proverbial splash of cold water again.

First, I'm highly skeptical of this "poll"....no mention of methodology.

Still, a number of recent polls had shown BB still having pretty high numbers in Canada. Obviously, even a complete lock on the Canadian market won't keep them afloat, nor will it be signficant in numbers...as North American numbers show.

Even if we just assume these numbers are valid though, the spin in this article is odd indeed. From the first line on....that we are moving different ways (from Americans), in terms of RIM..is misleading...unless one is saying, we are turning away from RIM more slowly.

I see a big negative, and a surprising one, for Android, and a negative result, though not as great, for RIM....in fact it's troubling is that, of all countries, I think Canada is most aware of BB10 (though I am sure most people know nothing about it, beyond hearing it's the big revamp), and yet it still indicates people intending to turn away from RIM.

Finally, contrary to what some posters are saying, this shows EXTREME interest in Apple. First, it's odd that the android user base would be that low....the last ipsos reid poll had totally different numbers from what I remember....but the drop for Android is particularly astonishing here.

Bottom line: RIm loses 5%, Android loses 10%, and Apple gains 18%.
    notfanboy likes this.
    10-08-12 07:41 PM

Hmm I do know a few people getting a bb10 device. But everybody I know is waiting for the new windows phones. Which is basically 30+ people. Because all of my friends are on AT&T. I do think wp is for the stylish, social and photographel peope. And they do like taking pictures for parties so the 920 is best for them anyway.
    10-08-12 08:59 PM
    One of my lady friends works at Bell in the corporate division, everyone in the office is stoked about what they have seen of BB10 and will be getting one of the new devices on release day.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-08-12 09:10 PM
    This
    And this.
    I'm not sure what point this article was trying to portray, but all I got out of it is that RIM's popularity is declining slightly slower in Canada.

I'm also very skeptical of not only the survey (due to no source or methodology) but also the Android results. Other polls have showed Android with a commanding lead in the mobile space, and I find it hard to believe that Canada would buck the trend so hard.
    10-08-12 09:34 PM
    Release day if I'm not working. BB10 Will be mine.
    10-08-12 09:37 PM
    I'm going to buy couple and give them to my friends, to get the balls rolling =p
    10-08-12 09:40 PM
    Saw the thread earlier and wasn't going to post, but I guess I"ll be the proverbial splash of cold water again.

Still, a number of recent polls had shown BB still having pretty high numbers in Canada. Obviously, even a complete lock on the Canadian market won't keep them afloat, nor will it be signficant in numbers...as North American numbers show.

Even if we just assume these numbers are valid though, the spin in this article is odd indeed. From the first line on....that we are moving different ways (from Americans), in terms of RIM..is misleading...unless one is saying, we are turning away from RIM more slowly.

I see a big negative, and a surprising one, for Android, and a negative result, though not as great, for RIM....in fact it's troubling is that, of all countries, I think Canada is most aware of BB10 (though I am sure most people know nothing about it, beyond hearing it's the big revamp), and yet it still indicates people intending to turn away from RIM.

Finally, contrary to what some posters are saying, this shows EXTREME interest in Apple. First, it's odd that the android user base would be that low....the last ipsos reid poll had totally different numbers from what I remember....but the drop for Android is particularly astonishing here.

Dude, Apple releases 1 phone a year. 5 million sold on the launch weekend is really poor. RIM sold 8 million phones in the slowest quarter and with last years models! Imagine how well rim will do with BB10 and further sales of BB7! I disagree with you about Apple demand and will bet that the 5 million was a pent up demand from people waiting over the summer. Now that the reviews are out and so many flops are well known such as the poor mapping and purple flare in camera, people won't be willing to pay top dollar for outdated hardware with issues. Apple has nothing to fall back on all year. Perhaps the ipad mini but they'll have to make it really cheap.

My bet is that they will rush out a new phone next spring.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    10-08-12 09:43 PM
52 123