I have my 8830 for nearly 2 years+ and love it. But I am itching for an upgrade! My biggest complain is my phone is very slow at loading Google Map, and I need it as the traffic info from Google Map is a lifesaver!

I am with Sprint. So I narrow down my options to the TOUR, CURVE2 and a PRE. (No HTC Hero because of obvious reason).

I went to my local Sprint store to mess around with them and I've talk to a rep. The results are:

The Tour - Ok, nicer screen - but what else?! That's it?! RIM?! After 2 years of R&D, this is what you can come up with?!

The Curve2 - Not in store, read a couple of reviews complaining about battery life and cheap build. But only $50, I might give this a try. But again, 2 years of R&D since I got my 8830, WTF is RIM doing?! Even the effing iPhone got a faster processor and longer battery life!

Pre - Impressive little bugger! Keyboard cramp as crap but damn this thing is fast. This little sucker can make any Blackberry looks like turtle when you load Google Maps/Browser next to them. The rep told me you probably would need to carry a charger around if you are going to use this - immediate turnoff - reminded me why I have a Blackberry to begin with (battery life).

So CRACKBERRY, help me out here! WTF is RIMM up to?! Throwing millions into marketing and advertisement. When can I get a REAL upgrade?! (better processing power, longer battery life - contradictory, but do-able)
    Last edited by iversonyin; 12-22-09 at 11:41 PM.
    12-22-09 10:11 PM
    maybe when you figure out their company name is RIM and not RIMM. maybe youve been barking up the wrong tree.
    12-22-09 10:32 PM
    Currently they're dealing with a network outage. LOL!
    12-22-09 10:33 PM
    Currently they're dealing with a network outage. LOL!
    maybe when you figure out their company name is RIM and not RIMM. maybe youve been barking up the wrong tree.
    Wow thats funny
    12-22-09 10:34 PM
    It's RIM, not RIMM. If you hate their offerings so much then you are free to move to another device. BTW the Tour is an awesome phone.
    RIMM is the stock symbol. So I'm not entirely incorrect. I don't "hate" their offerings. I just don't find much improvements in them since I got my first Blackberry 2 years ago! WHY?!

Even the stupid iPhone has evolved.
    12-22-09 10:54 PM
    RIMM is the stock symbol. So I'm not entirely incorrect. I don't "hate" their offerings. I just don't find much improvements in them since I got my first Blackberry 2 years ago! WHY?!

Even the stupid iPhone has evolved.
    companys arent named after their stock symbols though. to call them by their stock symbol instead of their legitimate name is silly.

ex....

so i went out and purchased some new golf clubs from ELY. they go great with my NKE shoes and stuff. i loaded them into my new F mustang and went to the range. by the way, my F Mustang has ML tires on them. ugh they suck! come on ML why are you putting bad tires on my F?

ELY - Callaway Golf
    NKE - Nike
    F - Ford
    ML - Michelin

cliff notes......talking in stock symbols is lame and makes you look like you dont know what you are talking about.

back on point, the current lineup of phones made after the 8300 series is way more advanced. its not just the screen. have you even used one? they are using processors twice as fast as the 8300/8800 series. IMO, they are just as advanced in their own ways as the stupid iphone.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 12-22-09 at 11:07 PM.
    12-22-09 11:05 PM
    companys arent named after their stock symbols though. to call them by their stock symbol instead of their legitimate name is silly.

ex....

so i went out and purchased some new golf clubs from ELY. they go great with my NKE shoes and stuff. i loaded them into my new F mustang and went to the range. by the way, my F Mustang has ML tires on them. ugh they suck! come on ML why are you putting bad tires on my F?

ELY - Callaway Golf
    NKE - Nike
    F - Ford
    ML - Michelin

cliff notes......talking in stock symbols is lame and makes you look like you dont know what you are talking about.

back on point, the current lineup of phones made after the 8300 series is way more advanced. its not just the screen. have you even used one? they are using processors twice as fast as the 8300/8800 series. IMO, they are just as advanced in their own ways as the stupid iphone.
    RIMM/AAPL is the same to me...I don't think anyone is confused here. I don't use it on daily basis. I just know RIM as RIMM since the dawn of day. Since I use to trade them....but that's beyond the point...

Maybe the new series phones are twice as fast, but Google Map still load as fast a turtle. And I use the browser, that's still pretty much the same. I don't know, maybe the OS is getting old and not utilizing the full capability of the processor. I don't need any stupid apps like iPhone or fancy graphics. I just want my traffic info from Google Map to load faster and better browsing capabilities....maybe it's time for me to switch.
    12-22-09 11:19 PM
    google maps is dependant on the networks data. so if you have a slow network, last time i checked Sprint isnt the fastest, its gonna cause lag in any data sensitive application. my google maps on my AT&T phones seem fairly decent in speed.
    12-22-09 11:22 PM
    google maps is dependant on the networks data. so if you have a slow network, last time i checked Sprint isnt the fastest, its gonna cause lag in any data sensitive application. my google maps on my AT&T phones seem fairly decent in speed.
    Definitely not the case, since the Palm Pre almost load up instantly when I mess around with it in the Sprint store. And I make sure that wifi was turn off.
    12-22-09 11:40 PM
    Definitely not the case, since the Palm Pre almost load up instantly when I mess around with it in the Sprint store. And I make sure that wifi was turn off.
    im fairly sure the Palm Pre is an EVDO rev A device whereas the 8330/8830 is probably only rev. 0. there is a big difference in speed between those two EVDO revisions.
    12-22-09 11:43 PM
    8830 to 9630. Hardware wise, high res screen, 528 mghz processor, 256mb Rom, about the same Ram. Pretty decent step up in my mind.

The OS is stale however. Not much aside from some simple visuals. Same UI for the most part.

The hardware is there. The software is taking its time. All in all though I'd get the Tour over keeping the 8830. But that's my opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-23-09 03:05 AM
    That's so funny! By no means is the Sprint network slow, especially on devices using Rev.A EVDO. I'm on a Rev.0 8330, and by no reasonable measure is mine slow. Maybe a little less when 2G (1X vs 1XEV) but certainly not terrible, especially if the browser options are set properly for speed.

Now, I run Google maps just fine, especially in 3G coverage.

to the OP, things are in flux. I've held off upgrading until the Tour 2 releases, primarily for having the trackpad and Wi-Fi as an option. I am satisfied with the OS, even if it isn't all that and a bag of Corn Nuts. I have the alternate browser of Bolt, and looking forward to the progress that is coming.

12-23-09 04:10 AM
    That's so funny! By no means is the Sprint network slow, especially on devices using Rev.A EVDO. I'm on a Rev.0 8330, and by no reasonable measure is mine slow. Maybe a little less when 2G (1X vs 1XEV) but certainly not terrible, especially if the browser options are set properly for speed.

now thats so funny! i dont recall in my post saying the Sprint network is slow!

all i stated was its network isnt the fastest, which is true. i used to have Sprint and was satified, but not blown away with their network speeds. my buddy does speedtests often on his 8330 and sees an average of 200-250 kbps. all i was saying was that slower, EVDO rev 0 devices are going to load data sensitive applications slower than EVDO rev A or EDGE/HSDPA phones. so the OP's gripe shouldnt be directed towards aging, 2007 BB models that use rev 0. if hes so conerned about the use of google maps and other data sensitive apps, he needs to look for something that uses rev A.
    Last edited by dictoresno; 12-23-09 at 04:17 AM.
    12-23-09 04:14 AM
    Well, location has a lot to do with network performance, especially when it comes to speed. And quite true that the 8830 is! Shall we say, long in the key?

But while the OS looks familiar, familiarity makes it easier to go to a more powerful device over what the OP has now. And more changes are coming.

12-23-09 05:05 AM
    now thats so funny! i dont recall in my post saying the Sprint network is slow!

all i stated was its network isnt the fastest, which is true. i used to have Sprint and was satified, but not blown away with their network speeds. my buddy does speedtests often on his 8330 and sees an average of 200-250 kbps. all i was saying was that slower, EVDO rev 0 devices are going to load data sensitive applications slower than EVDO rev A or EDGE/HSDPA phones. so the OP's gripe shouldnt be directed towards aging, 2007 BB models that use rev 0. if hes so conerned about the use of google maps and other data sensitive apps, he needs to look for something that uses rev A.
    Dictoresno,

I don't know if you have a Sprint store around you. But I invite you to check out Google Map loading time in your nearest store. Take the Palm Pre, HTC Hero and Blackberry Tour (you have to download the app for BB while you are in the store). Do the following tests:

1. Zoom in and out Google Map
    2. Load up traffic data

You would notice the speed diff b/w these devices. I complain to the rep and he said Google Map is not native/built for Blackberry (huh?)

And also, how can a $50 Curve2 has wifi and trackpad when a $150 Tour does not?
    12-23-09 09:10 AM
    8830 to 9630. Hardware wise, high res screen, 528 mghz processor, 256mb Rom, about the same Ram. Pretty decent step up in my mind.

The OS is stale however. Not much aside from some simple visuals. Same UI for the most part.

The hardware is there. The software is taking its time. All in all though I'd get the Tour over keeping the 8830. But that's my opinion.

Yea, I would love the Tour over my current phone. But 150 bones for a nicer screen and fancier UI and not-much-faster loading time. No thx?
    12-23-09 09:15 AM
    I just said. You gain 250 more mhz in the processor. And 256mb in rom. Which allocates a bit more to the low ram. So speeds are faster.

12-23-09 12:19 PM
    I came from the 8830WE to the Tour, and I was very pleased with the differences between the phones. I'm not looking for the panacea of upgrades, but the differences I found were well worth it to me, especially since I was very happy with my 8830.

The things I like about my Tour (over the 8830) are the faster response time, having a camera, a LOT more app space (I was always battling with which app to delete to add something new), and the minor changes to the OS (like holding the BB button for app switcher). I wasn't expecting a huge difference in OS - it works and I've always been happy with the OS functionality. Since bumping up to 5.0.0.230 v7.12, I'm even happier.
    12-23-09 03:06 PM
    I just said. You gain 250 more mhz in the processor. And 256mb in rom. Which allocates a bit more to the low ram. So speeds are faster.

The Tour is faster than my 8830 - for sure, no argument there. But for the same price, the Pre runs laps around the Tour. That's my point. So for an extra 150 bones, it just not worth it.

I've decided to get the Curve2 for the time being. It's 50 bucks for a minor update. I would never pay $150 for the Tour when the Curve2 offers trackpad and wifi, and same OS (coming from 8830, the camera quality is not even an issue for me, I can live without one).

I figure I can easily resell the Curve2 for $50 when I'm done with it next year. I pray that RIM would step up next year because these new gen. of touchscreen phones are becoming more tempting as they evolved.

(And if the Curve2 can't last me a day without charging, it is going back to the store first thing in the morning.)
    12-23-09 03:19 PM
    Tour 2 is coming out very soon and has the trackpad and wifi you seek. You are getting much less phone in the curve2 vs the tour. Curve 2 has no flash, 2.0mp camera, and the lower resolution screen and is also on evdo rev a Tour is an upgrade in every category.
    12-23-09 03:50 PM
    Tour 2 is coming out very soon and has the trackpad and wifi you seek. You are getting much less phone in the curve2 vs the tour. Curve 2 has no flash, 2.0mp camera, and the lower resolution screen and is also on evdo rev a Tour is an upgrade in every category.
    No flash camera- not a deal breaker coming from a 8830, I have no use for a camera on a phone, nice to have, but I can live without.

Lower Res - the screen size is the same, so even if you can play a 720p movie on a Tour, still wouldn't matter to me.

EVDO Rev A - Now we are talking! But giving up trackpad and wifi and 100 bones, not worth it.

Yea, these are all very NICE upgrades, but they aren't essential or substantial! They barely affect the real functionality of the phone (aside from EVDO A)- at least for what I use my BB for.

There used to substantial diff. b/w the Blackberry vs. touchscreen phones. Touchscreen phones used to be just fancy little impractical buggers. But after playing around with the Pre and Droid, I'm pretty convince these buggers are closing the gap on BB (if they are not already there). I seriously think if RIM doesn't step up next year, the ranks of people leaving BB for something fancier will increase. Think about iPhone exclusive agreement ending, the Droid phones, a possible improved WebOS phone, and the Nexus One.
    Last edited by iversonyin; 12-23-09 at 04:31 PM.
    12-23-09 04:26 PM
    This isn't the stock market, why are you using stock market abbreviations, its akin to using jargon in football when you are trying to explain something to a soccer player, its counter productive.

Secondly, everyone knows, Sprint is the last of the 4 major carries to get new phones. ATT is first, because they are huge, and Tmobile is second by default because its also GSM, then there is Verizon, the biggest in America customer wise, but its CDMA so worldwide, people think of them after the others. Then of course, Sprint is dead last.

Whats wrong with the Hero? Why not try the moment?

But looks aside, the Curve 8520(why do you use stock market abbreviations and then use the wrong BB abbreviations?) is the same as the curve 8330, pretty much.

If you want a true upgrade in terms of what a phone can do, the Tour is your next option.

Im not sure if Sprint is getting the Storm anytime soon
    12-23-09 06:37 PM
    This isn't the stock market, why are you using stock market abbreviations, its akin to using jargon in football when you are trying to explain something to a soccer player, its counter productive.

Secondly, everyone knows, Sprint is the last of the 4 major carries to get new phones. ATT is first, because they are huge, and Tmobile is second by default because its also GSM, then there is Verizon, the biggest in America customer wise, but its CDMA so worldwide, people think of them after the others. Then of course, Sprint is dead last.

Whats wrong with the Hero? Why not try the moment?

But looks aside, the Curve 8520(why do you use stock market abbreviations and then use the wrong BB abbreviations?) is the same as the curve 8330, pretty much.

If you want a true upgrade in terms of what a phone can do, the Tour is your next option.

Im not sure if Sprint is getting the Storm anytime soon
    Hero doesnt have a physical keyboard. I think I already mentioned that in one of my post.

I had the original Curve for a while and I liked it. But the trackball broke after replacing them for 2x. So I got a replacement and sold it and went back to my 8830.

Like I said, you can brag about the Tour's specs all you want, but I played with it in the store and I didn't feel a significant speed upgrade over my current phone - not significant enough to justify $150 (+ another 20 in tax) anyway.

Go to a Sprint store or Verizon store. Play around with the DROID and the PRE - especially loading websites and apps like Google Maps. You can FEEL that the Tour is outdated in term of processing speed (or OS that's not utilizing the processing speed).

The Moment is WAY too chunky. What I really wanted was the DROID. I love my current Sprint plan so no way I'm going to leave Sprint and pay MORE per month for a DROID.

So for now, a Curve2 (8530..**ahem** excuse me...) would do.
    12-23-09 10:00 PM
    I agree with the OP. Lame browser, inferior apps to their iphone and android counterparts, minimal upgrades between device versions....I'm beginning to get fed up too.

12-25-09 03:33 AM
    I understand being fed up! However all the obvious differences have been stated here. Blackberry is Blackberry and i believe they will always stick with what works...and to be honest their OS works. If you seek a fun phone that also works the answer is simple if your on sprint or verizon then the answer is ANDROID devices. The hero's keyboard is awesome as it is a capacitive touch screen so its pretty accurate.

I had the tour for 20 days it didnt WOW me so i returned it and went Android and im glad i did. Everything is faster and smoother. It seems to me your seeking speed and if that is what you want why not switch devices?
    12-25-09 10:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD