For BlackBerry addicts, RIM is 'chipping away our faith' - CNN.com

RIM is in need of some serious good press.

For BlackBerry addicts, RIM is 'chipping away our faith'

By Mark Milian,CNN updated 4:52 PM EST, Fri October 14, 2011 |

(CNN) -- The love affair between BlackBerry devotees and their mobile communicators is becoming strained, and some of them made the quarrel very public this week after a service outage.

Fans often discuss the intimate details about why they are attached at the hip to smartphones made by Research in Motion -- the clack-clack of the tiny keys, the feel of the trackball or square pad on their thumbs, the informative indicator light calling out for attention. They affectionately call it the "CrackBerry."

After the recent outage, which RIM says was caused by a server error,some longtime BlackBerry users are writing goodbye letters on blogs, and on message boards operated and frequented by the CrackBerry collective. Richie, a British member of a Web forum called CrackBerry, summed up the concerns, saying RIM has been "chipping away our faith" in the company's ability to satisfy customers.

In interviews with reporters, RIM executives issued apologies, which they also made public in a recorded video, but they avoided questions about whether they planned to offer incentives as compensation for the millions of customers affected by the outage. RIM did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the matter.

By comparison, after Sony restored its network this summer following a lengthy outage, the company compensated users of its subscription service, and gave free games and movie rentals to all users.

Netflix has offered small discounts to customers affected by technical troubles.

Despite RIM's lack of public comment, an AT&T customer in Cleveland wrote on the CrackBerry message boards that he received a credit on his bill when he called to complain about the outage.

RIM customers still holding onto their faith in the company should pay close attention to a conference being held in San Francisco next week. The pressure on BlackBerry from competitors is mounting, and RIM's promised next-generation models, with dual-core processors and large touchscreens, are overdue.

A CrackBerry forum member, posting under the alias N8star, says he is giving up his BlackBerry Torch 9850 "after years of being treated like a battered spouse by RIM," he wrote. His wife urged him to switch to an iPhone, and he says he will acquiesce.

Jim Kerstetter, the executive editor for technology website CNET, published an editorial on Thursday titled "RIM, you're dead to me now." He writes that he has defended BlackBerry, despite the lack of multimedia features, but that the recent outage has spurred him to switch phones and operating systems.

RIM still has a comfortable hold on corporate buyers, who snap up large orders for employees. Security experts tend to trust BlackBerry more than other smartphone platforms.

However, even tech departments in companies are becoming more lenient on this policy. David Hurst, who was waiting in line to buy an iPhone 4S for his wife at a store in Atlanta, said her company "has finally approved for her to switch from BlackBerry to iPhone, and her BlackBerry is just falling apart."

In the now crucial mobile-consumer market, Google and Apple both lead BlackBerry in sales, a trend expected to continue into the crucial holiday shopping season. A combined 69% of smartphone buyers say they plan to get either an Android phone or iPhone, while only 8% indicated that BlackBerry was at the top of their shopping lists, according to an NPD study from this summer.

RIM is "struggling to compete against Apple and Android," NPD analyst Linda Barrabee said in a phone interview. "The outage comes at a really opportune time. ... You've got, during the same week, the availability of the iPhone 4S."

Among the dedicated Apple followers who lined up outside stores around the world to buy the new iPhone on Friday, some reluctant people waiting at stores told CNN that they were there because they believed BlackBerry was too far behind the technological curve.

Outside the Apple Store in Los Gatos, California, a few spots behind Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak in line, Karol McBrian held a spot for her son. She is a longtime BlackBerry user, but she said she is changing allegiances. She will be inheriting her son's iPhone 4.

Teresa Sparks, a 41-year-old nurse in Atlanta, waited in a line across the country from McBrian to buy her iPhone, which will replace a BlackBerry. She is especially excited about Siri, the voice-assistant technology that Apple has promoted heavily. "I don't know who made it; I don't care," she said. "I just want the personal assistant."
    Last edited by chrisy520; 10-15-11 at 07:51 PM. Reason: spelling
    pipotobe likes this.
    10-15-11 07:48 PM
    Dont let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya !
    10-15-11 07:52 PM
    Despite RIM's lack of public comment, an AT&T customer in Cleveland wrote on the CrackBerry message boards that he received a credit on his bill when he called to complain about the outage.
    That was me. http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ml#post6757880

Apparently, CNN does not read the signatures.
    10-15-11 07:55 PM
    That was me. http://forums.crackberry.com/general...ml#post6757880

Apparently, CNN does not read the signatures.
    I guess the media just assumes anyone posting on a mobile device forum must be a "nerdy tech guy".
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-15-11 08:21 PM
    I guess the media just assumes anyone posting on a mobile device forum must be a "nerdy tech guy".
    Well, the "nerdy tech" part is right.
    Chrisy likes this.
    10-15-11 08:25 PM
    Well, the "nerdy tech" part is right.
    I'd say almost everyone who visits Crackberry on a regular basis is probably a "nerdy gadget/tech" person. I know I am!
    Laura Knotek and Rickroller like this.
    10-15-11 08:38 PM
    hmm..the world of tech media has come to this?..earlier they used write articles based on analysts opinions and now they have completely degraded themselves by writing something off based on the opinions in the forums ..
    Last edited by sf49ers; 10-15-11 at 11:53 PM.
    Jake2826 and menaknow like this.
    10-15-11 11:02 PM
    I'd say almost everyone who visits Crackberry on a regular basis is probably a "nerdy gadget/tech" person. I know I am!
    also the TROLLS..
    10-15-11 11:05 PM
    Regarding the exodus, I knew this was going to happen. The real pain lies ahead for RIM. It is sad.

I think some of us (like me) post on here because we expect more from RIM. What a great product it used to be. I loved my BB. It didn't evolve though.

For it to be almost 2012 and still not be able to hook directly up to a projector or tv is ridiculous. How about a BT keyboard? I mean a RIM native keyboard, that works. They call this a business device and people around here say iPhone is a toy. I can give presentations from it, manage groups from it, hold meetings from it, and hook a full size keyboard to it. No more laptop!

You can do more business stuff with an iPhone than a BB! The iWork suite of apps is great and with iCloud it syncs beautifully. Why didn't RIM bring this business function to BB?

Why the F doesn't a single BB phone have a FFC? It might not be important to some, but people that work out of hotels would love to see their kids. Grandparents would love to chat with their grandkids. Kids at college would love it to check in from far away. Managers can use it to chat with employees. People can communicate for free overseas. It might sound gimmicky but it is being used.

This article is great because many BB users (like myself) are disappointed. There are fanboys here that will love RIM no matter what. RIM can do no wrong. That is not realistic. They will say things like, "well RIM doesn't owe you anything" or "c ya". Truth is those fanboys need the users that are leaving as much as RIM. If the RIM plane goes down, then all the fanboys will be forced to use something else. That plane is going down, too. The plane is on fire.

As for me, I can't wait for my iPhone. It is a sad day because I did love my BB. It saved me so many times. I felt like I gave RIM time to improve, wanting to switch to other platforms for a couple years now. Hoping that RIM had something more than empty promises or junky products (Playbook). I expected more from a company I loved.

Next month I am finally moving and don't worry I won't let the door hit me in my gluteus maximus.

I am still hanging hope that RIM could turn it around but it looks bleak.
    bobs415 and pipotobe like this.
    10-15-11 11:29 PM
    Have you used a phone without a physical keyboard and instant push email for an extended period, or are you just saying you know you will be happy without having tried it? Because I have, and those things are more important than apps and a front facing cameras that almost no one uses, at least in my experience.

As to why RIM didn't include keyboard and presentation support on a phone, I would ask how many people would stake their business on giving a presentation on a phone as opposed to a laptop? I know I wouldn't, too many last minute edits and changes of strategy to risk it. How many have you seen given from an iPhone?

Blackberry has a way better MS Office compatible suite than iWork installed FREE on all BB 7 devices. Enjoy your iPhone, and all the best in your future endeavors.
    Last edited by BBOttawa; 10-16-11 at 12:50 AM.
    recompile likes this.
    10-16-11 12:45 AM
    Have you used a phone without a physical keyboard and instant push email for an extended period, or are you just saying you know you will be happy without having tried it? Because I have, and those things are more important than apps and a front facing cameras that almost no one uses, at least in my experience.
    If indeed the things you describe are more important, and if the iPhone fails to perform them satisfactorily, then he will return to BlackBerry. I don't understand the resistance, be it from either side. If someone wants to switch from iPhone to BlackBerry or vice versa, I'd encourage them to do so. If the switch isn't right for them, they'll discover it on their own.
    bobs415 and Rickroller like this.
    10-16-11 01:01 AM
    Have you used a phone without a physical keyboard and instant push email for an extended period, or are you just saying you know you will be happy without having tried it?
    I use a BES and MobileMe account. I do not have problems with email. I guess I never timed it, but if I need instantaneous I text or most likely just call. The below article says iPhone supports push. Again, my email on my iPad is suitable for me.

iOS: Supported push mail accounts

The BB has severe calendar limitations too. I want to be able to view a family calendar and give people access to my calendar so they can see it on their device. I use BES now and it just shows busy times when people schedule. I want to give people more info than that.

I use an iPad everyday, because the Playbook was such a disaster. I am currently typing this response on glass.

As to why RIM didn't include keyboard and presentation support on a phone, I would ask how many people would stake their business on giving a presentation on a phone as opposed to a laptop? I know I wouldn't, too many last minute edits and changes of strategy to risk it. How many have you seen given from an iPhone?
    How may have been given by an iPad? Thousands, millions? One of the best presenters of our times, Steve Jobs used Keynote to give amazing presentations. It works the same on an iPad as on an iPhone. You can edit and have all the same features on any iOS device. I currently give 20+ C-level presentations per year from my iPad. I am simply trading my iPad for a smaller device. Last minute simple edits are handled easily. When I get back home the cloud has handled all changes and I can work major changes from my computer (again the cloud wirelessly synching).

I have received more compliments on giving presentations while using my iPad than I have from Powerpoint/laptop.

Blackberry has a way better MS Office compatible suite than iWork installed FREE on all BB 7 devices. Enjoy your iPhone, and all the best in your future endeavors.
    Are you just saying they have a better suite without having tried it? The iWork suite is fully compatible with MS. I currently can email documents, presentations, and spreadsheets as Pages, Word, Keynote, Powerpoint, Numbers, Excel, and even PDF with a simple tap. The PDF option is what I normally use. This functionality is built in. The iWork suite is $10 for each app ($30 total) and blows the BB option out of the water, (which I previously paid for the premium version).

iWork, in my opinion, is far superior to anything MS makes. The templates alone are worth the $10.

On iOS if you buy an app from iWork for one device you get it on all devices free, therefore, it will be free on my iPhone.
    Last edited by Caymancroc; 10-16-11 at 03:45 AM.
    10-16-11 03:42 AM
    hmm..the world of tech media has come to this?..earlier they used write articles based on analysts opinions and now they have completely degraded themselves by writing something off based on the opinions in the forums ..
    Well, this is the main source of blackBerry news. The real BlackBerry users (and ex BB) are here too. Seems legit.

Besides, when threads from analysts are posted everyone discredits hem, saying they know nothing. So, which is it?
    bobs415 likes this.
    10-16-11 05:45 AM
    I just have a couple things to say about my BB 9810..I love it..and will continue to buy BB.
    My questions is, don't other carriers have problems, like BB, just went through. How much do we hear about those issues?
    Not that much......................
    10-16-11 07:17 AM
    I can't believe the article will quote an alias here...
    10-16-11 09:36 AM
    I just have a couple things to say about my BB 9810..I love it..and will continue to buy BB.
    My questions is, don't other carriers have problems, like BB, just went through. How much do we hear about those issues?
    Not that much......................
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...m-then-660175/
    10-16-11 11:17 AM
    Don't forget: http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...ashing-659639/

Also, I don't see anything wrong with getting sources from here. Where else would they get news, opnions and the facts about BlackBerry users feelings and issues if not from CrackBerry?
    10-16-11 12:32 PM
    Don't forget: http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...ashing-659639/

Also, I don't see anything wrong with getting sources from here. Where else would they get news, opnions and the facts about BlackBerry users feelings and issues if not from CrackBerry?
    You're absolutely right. I'm just surprised they would use a person's alias instead ' CrackBerry member'. Did they have permission to do that? I guess they would have had permission.
    10-16-11 02:40 PM
    Oh I see your point. You're right. Don't they need permission to quote us? Or perhaps because it's on a public forum, permission is implied. I was quoted 2 years ago and wasn't asked. But I liked it.

Agreed, the nicknames sound cheesy in a news report!
    10-16-11 02:44 PM
    Oh I see your point. You're right. Don't they need permission to quote us? Or perhaps because it's on a public forum, permission is implied. I was quoted 2 years ago and wasn't asked. But I liked it.

Agreed, the nicknames sound cheesy in a news report!
    Although it would be funny to see one like:

"and member 'iluvthekitty' posted..." or "member dikwankers posted..."

I think i'd laugh a few times at that.
    Chrisy and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-17-11 08:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD