Just came across this poll on CNET.

Friday Poll: Is BlackBerry done? | Crave - CNET

Head to link and share your thoughts.
    10-04-13 08:45 AM
    I've added my vote!
    10-04-13 08:52 AM
    If they just had some strategy and execution problems maybe they could recover however, it's evident they have systemic issues much larger and deeper than previously known. They can burn through their cash to the bitter end but it won't matter.

The fork says they are done.
    10-04-13 09:03 AM
    So how skewed will the results be after all the CB fans go vote? Right now it's right where I expected.
    10-04-13 09:11 AM
    I just want to remind people this poll has some degree of confirmation bias. To paraphrase, "After we've spent the past two years calling for BlackBerry's death and reporting negative news out of context, do you think the company is done?"

And of course the negative results will feed the next negative headline written by a freelance journalist who mentions iPads and cats in his/her bio, because those are irrefutable qualifications.

She It Holmes
    10-04-13 09:15 AM
    I just want to remind people this poll has some degree of confirmation bias. To paraphrase, "After we've spent the past two years calling for BlackBerry's death and reporting negative news out of context, do you think the company is done?"

And of course the negative results will feed the next negative headline written by a freelance journalist who mentions iPads and cats in his/her bio, because those are irrefutable qualifications.

She It Holmes
    It's fair to mention confirmation bias, but it's also a waste of time. It's an online poll. Who really cares?
    10-04-13 09:20 AM

Wait a minute....Are you saying that an Internet poll might not be scientific?
    m1a1mg likes this.
    10-04-13 09:22 AM
    I have voted, Yes for BlackBerry...!
    10-04-13 09:22 AM
    years of calling for death, and people wonder why a poll like this will lean towards to answer of yes.

Reminds me of the Monty Pyton.

"bring out your dead"
    "But I'm not dead yet"
    "oh you will be"
    10-04-13 09:25 AM
    Wait a minute....Are you saying that an Internet poll might not be scientific?
    It actually can be.
    The very large poll CB had about BB10 and its users, was pretty well made for an Internet poll.

But if we look at certain polls, where 10 year olds can give their voice, even though they have no idea on what they vote on, it seems as if most online polls shouldn't be taken seriously. At all.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-04-13 09:30 AM
    It's fair to mention confirmation bias, but it's also a waste of time. It's an online poll. Who really cares?
    You mean we don't really get to make the decision whether BBRY lives or dies?
    10-04-13 09:33 AM
    I suppose the point simmering in my head regarding the BlackBerry news cycle of the past few years is how it demonstrates the death of tech journalism, and the dearth of actual reportage and analysis in journalism in general. BlackBerry is certainly responsible for its decline, but millions of people clutching iPads and cats helped toss a shovel full of dirt their way. Soft plagiarism of headlines reworked into the bodies of stories, often coupled with near-full paragraph insertions, dominates the scene. If these fools had gone through my class, I'd have flunked them. Perhaps sometime a study will come of this email, and Blackberry will be but one example of how a few hundred nattering nabobs helped take down a tech giant. I mean seriously, who is so mean they spend their time calling for the death of a company over a span of years? They're a blind chorus of lazy vultures begging for roadkill and decay. I'm not optimistic about BlackBerry's chances, but even the most sallow-witted ***** can look at history and realize they still have a chance but for the jabber of carrion birds and dramatists of low talent.

And now I'll go back to lurking, thank you.

She It Holmes
    10-04-13 09:53 AM
    I think it's a great poll because the potential sample is huge. Further, CNET will get a more cross sectional user base than CB and therefore a more accurate reading of consumer attitudes.

Interestingly, according to the poll, 58% believe BBRY has a chance of surviving even though the media is already declaring BBRY dead !
    10-04-13 10:25 AM
    I think it's a great poll because the potential sample is huge. Further, CNET will get a more cross sectional user base than CB and therefore a more accurate reading of consumer attitudes.

Interestingly, according to the poll, 58% believe BBRY has a chance of surviving even though the media is already declaring BBRY dead !
    The article was posted on CB's main page, causing the masses of fanboys to flock to the CNET poll. Sorry, but any relevance it had evaporated the moment it was posted here. It would now pretty much be the equivalent of the same poll posted here on the Crackberry homepage.

The first 300 or so votes before the article was posted here painted a much different picture. Crackberry effect strikes again
    10-04-13 10:38 AM

Most people that don't care about BlackBerry.... don't care about reading just another article about the problem that BB is having and voting on some poll.

Now that this has been posted at CB, you can expect that about 70% of the votes will come from there and skewing the results.

The only votes that count are the ones made with credit cards.... and the polls are just about to close on that one.
    10-04-13 10:40 AM

Yes the potential sample IS huge. Check CrackBerry's analytics for approx size
    10-04-13 10:47 AM
    In past years when people called for BlackBerry demise, BlackBerry was still growing but people speculated they would become obsolete eventually and some one would come along and beat them at their own game. Golly gee I think that's happened now!!!
    In the current situation BlackBerry has lost all its market share and is losing billions of dollars a year. Under the current ownership situation they're done like dinner. Their only strategy is infighting and ignoring the world around them.
    If however they're bought by another company and new and astute people r brought in to turn the ship around then they have a reasonable chance of turning it around. But in their current form they r road kill!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 10:57 AM
    The article was posted on CB's main page, causing the masses of fanboys to flock to the CNET poll. Sorry, but any relevance it had evaporated the moment it was posted here. It would now pretty much be the equivalent of the same poll posted here on the Crackberry homepage.

The first 300 or so votes before the article was posted here painted a much different picture. Crackberry effect strikes again
    Just because we're members of cb doesn't change the fact that we're verge consumers like anyone else. I fail to see why our vote shouldn't count.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    10-04-13 11:02 AM
    Just because we're members of cb doesn't change the fact that we're verge consumers like anyone else. I fail to see why our vote shouldn't count.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Your vote should count, but having a massive population of votes from a single fan site completely skews any potential results of the poll. The poll at this point could only be used to measure "How many Blackberry fans think Blackberry is done?".

It's like those threads that were constantly trying to get the Z10 bumped up on the phonedog rankings, or the news site (globe and mail I think? It was that one with the big grid) polls that were skewed by Crackberry postings and were actually called out for it. It's the effect of a huge community like this. It's not always a bad effect (like when my app was featured on the front page and downloads shot up 10x) but it's always a skewing effect. The results of the poll in its original context are now utterly useless.
    10-04-13 11:11 AM
    Your vote should count, but having a massive population of votes from a single fan site completely skews any potential results of the poll. The poll at this point could only be used to measure "How many Blackberry fans think Blackberry is done?".

It's like those threads that were constantly trying to get the Z10 bumped up on the phonedog rankings, or the news site (globe and mail I think? It was that one with the big grid) polls that were skewed by Crackberry postings and were actually called out for it. It's the effect of a huge community like this. It's not always a bad effect (like when my app was featured on the front page and downloads shot up 10x) but it's always a skewing effect. The results of the poll in its original context are now utterly useless.
    Exactly. It is definitely more likely to have a BlackBerry bias in those being directed to the poll from a BlackBerry fan site.

Posted via CB10
    10-04-13 11:14 AM

so, we should bias people from one side going against bias people from the other ...... sounds like things should even out
    10-04-13 11:54 AM