11-15-08 11:16 AM
45 12
tools
    Listened to the Buzz Out Loud podcast today (Ep. 850)
    I can't post links but just google "buzz out loud" and you'll find it.
    Segment starts at 14:00 in

Brian Cooley goes on a bashing rant about the new Curve cnet issued to him and then Molly jumped in also. They not only bashed it but they clearly don't know how to use the basic functions of a BB.

Some of the things he said was you can't change the font, there are not enough dedicated buttons (for shortcuts) and it takes too many keystrokes to navigate. Molly even said the "Profiles" screen is 4 menus deep. And stated it takes just a couple of finger movements on the iphone to do the same thing.

They sounded like idiots talking about the BB and said if BB users had a clue how much better a Treo was blah blah blah.

I don't get pissed off too often when I hear BB bashing but every single thing they said was easy basic stuff that 5 minutes with the device would fix.

They lost some geek/tech cred with me for that segment for sure.
    11-11-08 06:53 PM
    that is too funny. I understand everyone has their own opinions about things, but thinking a treo is better than a BB?

I don't see how the profiles screen is 4 menus deep though? it's on the main screen and it takes you right to where you need to be to change things.
    11-11-08 07:05 PM
    CNET is a tech company--WTF? You would think they would not make such mistakes on one of their podcasts.

Really, disable dialing from the home screen and you have over a dozen shortcut keys. And "F" will open the Profiles screen. sheesh CNET!
    11-11-08 07:10 PM
    Seems like so many people are on the iphone bandwagon. I have to give Apple props though for knowing how to market to people.
    11-11-08 07:19 PM
    What an as*! Really, really lame to complain about a smartphone that obviously you didn't take 10 or even 5 minutes to learn the basics.

And to claim Treo better: way dated buggy OS, clunky form factor, needs 3rd party apps to what BB does natively; superior product support and development. I know because I struggled with Palm/Treo for years before seeing the light.

Sounds like Brian's a little biased to an OS he's familiar with. Tsk, tsk, not very objective!
    11-11-08 07:33 PM
    They're brainless twits. Must of had the proverbial journalism school lobotomy.
    11-11-08 07:40 PM
    I still for the life of me dont understand why people give CNET any of their attention. They are morons.
    11-11-08 09:01 PM
    I <3 Molly Wood
    11-11-08 10:30 PM
    I don't see how anyone could want a treo over a BB. The treos remind me of little tike toys. :P
    11-11-08 10:49 PM
    I don't see how anyone could want a treo over a BB. The treos remind me of little tike toys. :P
    Simple. Different people like different stuff.

I just love it when fanboys get their knickers in a twist whenever someone
    has an unfavorable opinion of the almighty BB.

I listened to that podcast twice and quite honestly, I get where they are
    coming from. The Curve, with it's paltry memory, lack of features found on
    "lesser" smartphones, the shocking dearth of 3rd party apps by comparisons,
    the inability to use the memory card for anything other than media and file
    storage, the need to optimize it to keep it functioning properly, pitiful browser
    (even in OS 4.5), cumbersome navigation etc.....can be a bit off putting to some.
    Except of course fanboy "addicts". Sheesh
    11-12-08 01:05 AM
    That made my heart hurt.
    :/

Is it that hard to really get used to a device?
    *sigh*
    11-12-08 02:34 AM

storage, the need to optimize it to keep it functioning properly, pitiful browser
    (even in OS 4.5), cumbersome navigation etc.....can be a bit off putting to some.
    I doubt you listened to the podcast even once. Because if you did you would realize everything you said wasn't even mentioned by them. What you stated was an opinion whereas what they stated were false accusations due to ignorance. We could argue about navigation but you could also do the same with desktop OS's until we both turn blue.

They were bashing the device without knowledge. You can't change font? Really? The profile screen is 4 menus deep? No it's not. It's an icon on the home screen so technically it's 'not deep'. And there are not enough dedicated buttons? Really. I suggest going to the home screen and start pressing the keys one at a time to see how many "dedicated" buttons there are. Please start by pressing "K"
    11-12-08 07:12 AM
    That will be the first, last and only time I listen to their podcast. Calling the Blackberry a "POS" was uncalled for. Obviously they don't know how the BB works, they made no attempt to learn how the features work, and they ranted lies about it's functions. If that's how they approach news, uninformed about the truth and passing it off as the truth, then everything they say on their "podcast" can be brought into question. My .02
    11-12-08 08:29 AM
    As for the Treo being better, I highly doubt that. My daughter upgraded to a Pearl, she did not understand it and hated the fact that it did not include mms (Sprint) so she quickly returned it for a Centrio, which she liked. Well, I just upgraded to a Curve 8330 and she was messing around with it just yesterday, and realized how nice it really is. She was talking about how much better the camera was and everything else, the only thing she liked more on her phone was it having the mms, which Sprint will soon (I hope) get for us BB users. Ok, I also upgraded my husband to a 8330 and he wants me to return it for an easier phone, LOL. He does not understand it and needs to let me take the time with him to explain. So, lack of learning the device will cause ignorance
    11-12-08 08:52 AM
    The bottom line when it comes to Blackberries is they are sometimes hard to figure out. How long did it take you to realize that the trackball doesn't advance your photo queue? Who would naturally think, "Wow if I hit the "N" key maybe it will go to the Next one". Most people would try to use the ball--it's called ergonomics. Anyway, I love my Curve and I love Molly and Brian--they're my two favorites from CNET, but it doesn't bother me that they didn't take the time to "get" my Blackberry. I don't get their proprietary iPhone either--well, mostly I don't get iTunes or AT&T, but I digress.

Bottom line is this. If you are so attached to your Blackberry that a podcast makes you angry, you should probably take a step back and look at your life. It might be time to invest in a few more real life "ventures". Just saying.
    11-12-08 09:30 AM
    I've seen CNET bashing on products before that didn't really deserve a bashing. Palm probably advertises on their website or something
    11-12-08 09:52 AM
    I doubt you listened to the podcast even once. Because if you did you would realize everything you said wasn't even mentioned by them. What you stated was an opinion whereas what they stated were false accusations due to ignorance. We could argue about navigation but you could also do the same with desktop OS's until we both turn blue.

They were bashing the device without knowledge. You can't change font? Really? The profile screen is 4 menus deep? No it's not. It's an icon on the home screen so technically it's 'not deep'. And there are not enough dedicated buttons? Really. I suggest going to the home screen and start pressing the keys one at a time to see how many "dedicated" buttons there are. Please start by pressing "K"

...And I doubt you listened to it objectively, but as another dejected fanboy
    taking umbrage with the fact that someone dare not love the BB.

What I mentioned was in addition to. Simple concept really. But to your 2 points.

The "four menus deep" thing: count the number of steps you need to go
    through to get to the screen to actually edit a profile. I'll wait. Yeah, 4, so it
    is you who are wrong not them.

To get the full array of dedicated buttons would require turning off dialing
    from the homescreen, which NOT everyone is inclined to do. So again they
    are right, you are not.
    Have you found a single button to put the phone in vibrate mode? NO! And
    setting a convenience keys to profiles does not count.

There was nothing said in that podcast that was inherently wrong, and it was
    mentioned that they (Brian) went through the tips and tricks guide so all this
    BS about not taking the time to get to know the phone apparently got missed
    by all of you just dying for the chance to prove your fanboy cred. Good luck
    with that.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 11-12-08 at 09:58 AM.
    11-12-08 09:55 AM
    Listened to the Buzz Out Loud podcast today (Ep. 850)
    I can't post links but just google "buzz out loud" and you'll find it.
    Segment starts at 14:00 in

Brian Cooley goes on a bashing rant about the new Curve cnet issued to him and then Molly jumped in also. They not only bashed it but they clearly don't know how to use the basic functions of a BB.

Some of the things he said was you can't change the font, there are not enough dedicated buttons (for shortcuts) and it takes too many keystrokes to navigate. Molly even said the "Profiles" screen is 4 menus deep. And stated it takes just a couple of finger movements on the iphone to do the same thing.

They sounded like idiots talking about the BB and said if BB users had a clue how much better a Treo was blah blah blah.

I don't get pissed off too often when I hear BB bashing but every single thing they said was easy basic stuff that 5 minutes with the device would fix.

They lost some geek/tech cred with me for that segment for sure.

Who are Brian Cooley and this Molly chick? Bonnie Cha (Senior editor for Cell phones and mobile products) still loves the curve, and I trust her more than I trust the others.
    11-12-08 10:12 AM
    The bottom line when it comes to Blackberries is they are sometimes hard to figure out. How long did it take you to realize that the trackball doesn't advance your photo queue? Who would naturally think, "Wow if I hit the "N" key maybe it will go to the Next one". Most people would try to use the ball--it's called ergonomics. Anyway, I love my Curve and I love Molly and Brian--they're my two favorites from CNET, but it doesn't bother me that they didn't take the time to "get" my Blackberry. I don't get their proprietary iPhone either--well, mostly I don't get iTunes or AT&T, but I digress.

Bottom line is this. If you are so attached to your Blackberry that a podcast makes you angry, you should probably take a step back and look at your life. It might be time to invest in a few more real life "ventures". Just saying.
    I expect better from a tech podcast. Don't bash something you don't know how to use. Bashing it after you know how to use it, is fine with me.
    11-12-08 11:08 AM
    i haven't cared much for cnet since Veronica Belmont left
    11-12-08 11:17 AM
    cnet has always given bad reviews to great phones, after reading this thread, nothing has changed, the reviewer is an *****.
    11-12-08 11:44 AM
    If everyone understands that they don't give that great of reviews then maybe the ones that were upset with it can feel a little better . I didn't care nor even bother with listening to it, but some do, and for others to cut them down for becoming upset isn't very nice, this is a forum for people to vent, get info and share...just saying
    11-12-08 12:37 PM
    CNET does seem to be a bunch of Apple fanboys as well....They ran a whole series of videos on the iPhone when it came out, but only a brief review on other smartphones that I think were equally as groundbreaking.
    11-12-08 12:49 PM

, the need to optimize it to keep it functioning properly, pitiful browser
    has an unfavorable opinion of the almighty BB: It's legitimate to get one's knickers twisted when the unfavorable opinion is based on unfamiliarity and lazy reporting

Curve, with it's paltry memory: true, but I've not had to manage my curve's memory since day one, unlike my old 8830!

lack of features found on
    "lesser" smartphones: huh?

storage: makes BB's far more stable than Treo

the shocking dearth of 3rd party apps by comparisons: true but I question the stability of palm os 3rd party apps, and they can use a lot memory

the need to optimize it to keep it functioning properly: sounds like Treo to me

pitiful browser
    (even in OS 4.5): very True!

cumbersome navigation: depends on personal taste, as you point out

Nonetheless the issue is that Cooley's criticisms had nothing to do with these points, except navigation
    11-12-08 03:11 PM
    It's clear that those bozo's have no clue what there talking about. I've used both heavily and I think the BlackBerry has a far more intuitive interface then the iPhone...

Post feed back on the page, I'm sure if we post enough they will read them
    11-12-08 04:20 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD