BlackBerry diaries: the verdict - Smartphones & PDA Phones

Some nice things said. Better than the usual tripe.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 09:50 AM
    Nice to see this sort of commentary!

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    04-11-14 10:00 AM
    If the q10 has made the decision hard, the z30 would definitely have him on the edge lol, but i agree, they need to update to 4.4 runtime, close the app gap as much as possible because that is the only thing holding ppl back. Everyone that's tried it loves it, but then the apps issue comes up. BlackBerry also needs to do a better job marketing what can be done without needing an app. Many things are already built in.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 10:11 AM
    Lol I thought CNET was a misinformed website looking for clicks, but now tat they said some good things everyone's quiet.
    04-11-14 10:11 AM
    He mentions needing the Android 4.4 runtime. What apps require 4.4 versus the 4.2.2 that is on 10.2.1? There can't be that many, if any. I don't see developers alienating the vast majority of Android users who are not running the latest OS.
    04-11-14 10:29 AM
    He mentions needing the Android 4.4 runtime. What apps require 4.4 versus the 4.2.2 that is on 10.2.1? There can't be that many, if any. I don't see developers alienating the vast majority of Android users who are not running the latest OS.
    sounds like the guy doesnt know much about mobile os'es in general.
    04-11-14 10:54 AM
    sounds like the guy doesnt know much about mobile os'es in general.
    No wonder blackberry gets bad press.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    04-11-14 11:26 AM
    Lol I thought CNET was a misinformed website looking for clicks, but now tat they said some good things everyone's quiet.
    I got into a spat with one of their moderators and eventually just stopped reading the site. There's some good stuff, but a lot of the reviews read like amateur hour. And not just for BlackBerry.

It seems like for a lot of products, if they can't immediately spot how to do something, they claim it can't be done. And I realize not everyone is an expert on all things, but it always seems like they write up their reviews after poking around with a device for an hour. The average consumer doesn't make up their mind and return a device that fast. I think they need to spend minimum one week using all reviewed products before they start making claims of what can and can't be done.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 11:57 AM
    I got into a spat with one of their moderators and eventually just stopped reading the site. There's some good stuff, but a lot of the reviews read like amateur hour. And not just for BlackBerry.

It seems like for a lot of products, if they can't immediately spot how to do something, they claim it can't be done. And I realize not everyone is an expert on all things, but it always seems like they write up their reviews after poking around with a device for an hour. The average consumer doesn't make up their mind and return a device that fast. I think they need to spend minimum one week using all reviewed products before they start making claims of what can and can't be done.

Posted via CB10
    as a saying goes, you cannot judge a book by its cover.
    04-11-14 12:27 PM
    Looks pretty honest.

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 12:37 PM
    Decently fair, but what is with the 'steep learning curve' that all these Android users talk about? Android is WAY harder to learn than OS10, if you haven't used it much. OS10 is about half a dozen gestures and minimal poking around to learn. I think OS10 is like iOS in that it is so straightforward... I find Windows 8 easier to learn than Android.

Does sustained android usage change people's brain wiring? It doesn't seem like people coming from Apple or Windows have as hard of a time learning OS10.

From a Z30
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-11-14 12:46 PM
    Had to read it twice before I could believe my eyes.

He definitely should have chosen the Z30.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-11-14 12:49 PM
    I agree with his review, except this

"here's a steep learning curve using BB10. There's a learning curve with any new OS, and the BlackBerry is arguably steeper than many."

I argue against this though with qualification.

1. If a user is switching platforms from something else to this (iOS, Android, BlackBerry OS), it is different and there is a learning curve. and more importantly, people don't often like change.

HOWEVER:

2. I do not agree that for a new smartphone user who's never used iOS/Android/Windows Phone/BlackBerry OS either, that it's hard to pick up and learn. Stick 50 people on a desert island who've never used a smartphone, give them a random sampling of OSes on the market and I doubt there's any appreciable difference with how fast the OS is picked up relative to the others.

Two different things - how hard it is to learn heuristically; and how easy it is to switch to. Both important considerations, but I don't think the OS is "unfriendly"
    04-11-14 12:55 PM
    Decently fair, but what is with the 'steep learning curve' that all these Android users talk about? Android is WAY harder to learn than OS10, if you haven't used it much. OS10 is about half a dozen gestures and minimal poking around to learn. I think OS10 is like iOS in that it is so straightforward... I find Windows 8 easier to learn than Android.

Does sustained android usage change people's brain wiring? It doesn't seem like people coming from Apple or Windows have as hard of a time learning OS10.

From a Z30
    Its a lazy talking point for incompetent tech bloggers.....I take it as "I didnt have anything to rip it for so I made up this..."

Posted via CB10
    04-11-14 12:56 PM
    ... Stick 50 people on a desert island who've never used a smartphone, give them a random sampling of OSes on the market and I doubt there's any appreciable difference with how fast the OS is picked up relative to the others.
    I think that BlackBerry would actually be learned faster than others on average, and W8 would be immediately picked up by anyone who has used W8 desktop.

From a Z30
    04-11-14 01:03 PM
    It didn't take long for this reviewer to learn the OS.

I was pleasantly surprised with the BlackBerry Z10. Having recently between switched phones several times for review purposes, I wasn’t expecting a smooth transition. Turns out that, at least for me, BlackBerry is a much easier OS to get used to than, say, Windows Phone, and the familiar visuals go a long way to helping you adjust to the new environment.
    BlackBerry Z10 Review and Giveaway
    04-11-14 01:46 PM
    Wow. That is nice to hear someone affiliated with CNET say those things.
    04-11-14 03:16 PM
    They still are, doesn't change a thing for me. Nice things said or not.
    04-11-14 03:22 PM