I will admit I've been as negative as most people here on RIMM (notice the difference?) but I have decided to give them a break.

They deserve to survive and for the sake of their staff I hope they prosper. I will promise to not contribute any more negativity towards RIM until they get back on their feet.

This is starting to feel like kicking a person when they're down. We Aussies don't do that.
    07-25-11 09:59 PM

All of this after analysts were arguing "RIM needs to restructure its management" and everyone was agreeing with the "letter" that stated (not in these exact words) "RIM needs to fire people who are underperforming". And then they streamline their workforce and reshuffle their management, just to have news agencies jump on them for doing exactly what they were suggesting RIM do last week.
    The issue is that the management restructuring most of the bloggers, most folks here and most shareholders want to see has not happened, ie, dumping Mike L. and Jim B.
    07-26-11 12:54 AM
    The issue is that the management restructuring most of the bloggers, most folks here and most shareholders want to see has not happened, ie, dumping Mike L. and Jim B.
    If most shareholders want to see the change it would have happened. At least, I think that's how it works. My knowledge of publicly traded companies is not too great.
    07-26-11 08:16 AM
    Is CNET really despised by CBers?
    CNET was where trash went to be posted LONG before I was a CB poster. they have been BAD for the since around 2005ish I can't actually recall when their writing and articles started to go the way of tabloid publishing,
    07-26-11 08:31 AM
    I'm sorry but Dumping Mike and Jim now would destabilize the company, they have been given 6 months to show change and that their direction is working, it's been not even a month and they make a change (ie Lay offs) and people want to cut them.

I'm not sure I like the Co CEO structure, but I know I don't want to see RIM with a new leader, and new leadership direction while they are in the process of redefining themselves with QNX,
    New platforms are where tech company's risk their death, and you don't go into battle with a Brandnew captain who doesn't know the crew, vs a Capitan who is too cautious but at least has always advanced even if it is just a little at a time.
    01itr and southlander like this.
    07-26-11 08:35 AM
    I dont think anyone is attacking you RR....atleast i would hope not since you are not even the OP.

Both sides just need to drop it, take a deep breath and move on.
    I didn't mean the other people. I meant the OP was giving myself and another member crap about not wanting to go to CNET because we "don't like cnet or bgr" because they are biased against RIM.

Yes, both sides need to drop it
    07-26-11 10:27 AM
    None. It's a known fact that BlackBerry 7 was originally known as BlackBerry 6.1, it's been addressed on the forums. Even people who own a 9900 say that it is a minor upgrade, speaking OS. Most just talk about how it's more smooth. That mixed with the fact that the 1.2GHz processor makes it snappier, has most people mesmerized as it hasn't been seen on BlackBerry before, which is cool. I am just assuming RIM re-named it in order to build a bit more 'hype' for the tweener generation of BBs - BB 7.

I''m in no way intending to bash RIM, it's just a fact.
    I'm sure marketing was part of the equation, but that doesn't mean that was the only reason for renaming 6.1 to 7. Part of it was that this is a separation from 6.0 due to the additional hardware requirements (gpu acceleration for the liquid graphics, additional RAM requirements, additional sensors, etc.). If 6.0 devices can't run it (even in some limited capacity), then consumers will be upset. More so if it is 6.1 than 7.0 (based on perception of version numbers). I think this 7.0 update is bigger and more important than the jump from 5.0 to 6.0, or 4.x to 5.0). It's obviously more of a under-the-hood update. Even the move to 6.0, which has the panels, is a minor UI update as far as appearance. I think some people must just be tired of the UI and want something radically different. Apple hasn't made any meaningful change in its UI IMO and it'll be shortly on version 5. Thankfully we can install themes if we want.

Regardless, version numbers are a joke anyway. I'm a Firefox user and I think it is stupid the way Mozilla is going from 4 to 5 to 6 so fast. I get the smaller and faster updates (it took far too long for 4.0), but unfortunately there are far too many stupid people that might equate a version number as a meaningful metric for comparison (like comparing Chrome, FF, and IE by the main version number)

---------

I for one am eagerly awaiting the Torch 9850, and I think this new crop of devices is the biggest generational improvement in BlackBerry devices ever, even if it is mainly just to catch up. Once the QNX devices come I really think RIM will be in a great position.
    grover5 likes this.
    07-26-11 11:18 AM
    Why wait until problems arise from the OS7 to QNX transition to decide if the guys need to be replaced?

Sounds like brainwash speak to me.
    07-26-11 11:58 AM
    I'm sorry but Dumping Mike and Jim now would destabilize the company, they have been given 6 months to show change and that their direction is working, it's been not even a month and they make a change (ie Lay offs) and people want to cut them.

I'm not sure I like the Co CEO structure, but I know I don't want to see RIM with a new leader, and new leadership direction while they are in the process of redefining themselves with QNX,
    New platforms are where tech company's risk their death, and you don't go into battle with a Brandnew captain who doesn't know the crew, vs a Capitan who is too cautious but at least has always advanced even if it is just a little at a time.
    Timing is a part of building a new platform. The current leaders have an extremely poor track record when it comes to pace. It's been my experience leaders who are not involved as they should be, let management slip problems/delays under the radar and the article is correct about this very problem. Make sure your leaders are available to take calls when you need to get all of your army men out of the road when a Panzer comes rolling along.

Recommendation: Find someone who spends less time at the barber getting a trim and a shave and getting fitted for suits and slapping on make-up and get a person who can roll up their sleeves and look-in on what people are doing and exchange idea's with the Blackberry employees.

Oh, and one more thing, stop making excuses for Fatso & Baldy. They were on the clock when they spent too much time increasing their personal gains and not watching over RIM and 2000 people lost their jobs because of that very problem. Had they been earning that money then those 2000 people would still be cranking out Blackberry product.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 07-26-11 at 05:55 PM.
    07-26-11 12:10 PM
    Does anybody actually care what cnet's analysis of the management structure is?

And if so, why?..........
    Because cnet was once the most influential and powerful mobile device and software maker on planet Earth! Oh wait... no actually they are just a tech blog that has never done any of that. In fact they recently had some ahem.. management changes themselves.
    purijagmohan likes this.
    07-26-11 07:23 PM
    It's too bad CNET's ineptitude doesn't apply to this story. Next...
    07-26-11 09:40 PM
    Has anyone explained why exactly are two chief executives and two chief operating officers needed? Especially when they have to layoff 2,000+ people and other companies do just fine, if not better with one?

Just curious.
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 07-26-11 at 10:16 PM.
    07-26-11 10:13 PM
    Steve & Eric seem to be doing fine.

On their own.

But then they don't look like plastic display dolls to make the nonexistent new products look more life like. Do they?

It's always the same, crummy leaders always putting themselves at the front of the line and dropping the hammer on the little guys who do all the work (twice when you work for a ****-up) when they ask for a second helping of mashed potatoes. They always think they have everyone fooled.
    07-26-11 11:21 PM
    Has anyone explained why exactly are two chief executives and two chief operating officers needed? Especially when they have to layoff 2,000+ people and other companies do just fine, if not better with one?

Just curious.
    Because those two CEOs have put everything they had into creating RIM, all their money and time, took massive risks and created something amazing that changed the world.

Profits drop by 10% and now you want them to go? Seriously?

With manufacturing plants in Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Hungary and Malaysia and BES and BIS to support in so many countries, and governments to support in so many countries (Apple and Android don't have that worry yet)there's only so much one person do.

Look at the big picture people.
    07-27-11 04:53 AM
    We seem to have a lot of opinionated individuals who know exactly what RIM should do in terms of company leadership.
    One would assume that these individuals with these ideas would be able to delienate exactly how they themselves would change things at RIM. This would of course entail submitting a full proposal that we could review. I wonder why none of those individuals, particularly the loudest ones, have submitted such an enlightening document.
    Oh...wait....it's because they're armchair CEOs who haven't a clue and are just off blowing steam....such a 17 year old does in his basement, anonymously hiding behind a girlfriend's name on a web forum spewing nonsense.
    Got it.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 07-27-11 at 05:25 AM.
    01itr likes this.
    07-27-11 05:16 AM
    We seem to have a lot of opinionated individuals who know exactly what RIM should do in terms of company leadership.
    One would assume that these individuals with these ideas would be able to delienate exactly how they themselves would change things at RIM. This would of course entail submitting a full proposal thbat we could review. I wonder why none of those individuals, particularly the loudest ones, have submitted such an enlightening document.
    Oh...wait....it's because they're armchair CEOs who haven't a clue and are just off blowing steam....such a 17 year old does in his basement, anonymously hiding behind a girlfriend's name on a web forum spewing nonsense.
    Got it.
    Girlfriend? What girlfriend? Armchair CEO is a very demanding job don't you know? No time for girlfriend.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-27-11 05:46 AM
    One would assume that these individuals with these ideas would be able to delienate exactly how they themselves would change things at RIM. This would of course entail submitting a full proposal that we could review. I wonder why none of those individuals, particularly the loudest ones, have submitted such an enlightening document.
    Got it.
    I am not taking credit for this idea as it came up in another thread but Eric at Google should be the new CEO of RIM or maybe Google should buy RIM and take a giant bite out of the Apple.

Rather bitter aren't you.

Did one of your friends in your online world get insulted?
    Last edited by olblueyez; 07-27-11 at 06:39 AM.
    07-27-11 06:29 AM
    I am not taking credit for this idea as it came up in another thread but Eric at Google should be the new CEO of RIM or maybe Google should buy RIM and take a giant bite out of the Apple.

Rather bitter aren't you.

Did one of your friends in your online world get insulted?
    Bitter....nah...disgusted is more like it. Expressing an opinion on the opinions. As everyone else is doing. I'm simply stating that it is much easier to criticise with nothing constructive to say than to actually offer actionable constructive criticism.
    No friends have been insulted...if they had you'd see me REALLY go off.

Edit: I saw that pic!!!! Soooo funny!!!! Almost spewed coffee all over my laptop!!!!
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 07-27-11 at 06:43 AM.
    07-27-11 06:33 AM
    Yeah, as if Eric hasn't had his fair share of failures, Wave, Buzz, probably G+ too, Chrome OS is nowhere to be seen, Nexux 1, and many others.

07-27-11 06:45 AM
    Bitter....nah...disgusted is more like it. Expressing an opinion on the opinions. As everyone else is doing. I'm simply stating that it is much easier to criticise with nothing constructive to say than to actually offer actionable constructive criticism.
    No friends have been insulted...if they had you'd see me REALLY go off.
    "Expressing an opinion on the opinions"? I agree with the article cnet put out and RIM being top heavy as many global corporations have become is as obvious as the dye in your hair. My solutions were offered and your welcome to re-read if you like.

"No friends have been insulted...if they had you'd see me REALLY go off."

"actually offer actionable constructive criticism"

"Oh...wait....it's because they're armchair CEOs who
    haven't a clue and are just off blowing steam....such a
    17 year old does in his basement, anonymously hiding
    behind a girlfriend's name on a web forum spewing
    nonsense.
    Got it."

Qbnkelt's constructive criticism for today.

Funny how the least imaginative people are always the ones to moan about etiquette.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 07-27-11 at 07:06 AM.
    psufan32 likes this.
    07-27-11 06:51 AM
    Yeah, as if Eric hasn't had his fair share of failures, Wave, Buzz, probably G+ too, Chrome OS is nowhere to be seen, Nexux 1, and many others.

Eric's performance seems to be improving as the other two have faded. He also brings closer relations with google and android. Didn't you hear about QNX?

Hello???

McFly???

Anyone???

Bueller???
    07-27-11 07:00 AM
    How does my hair colour (natural redhead, factually proveable) factor into RIM's leadership structure?
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 07-27-11 at 07:13 AM.
    07-27-11 07:03 AM
    How does my hair colour (natural redhead, factually proveable) factor into RIM's leadership structure?
    The same way the rest of your posts do. Not at all.
    07-27-11 07:16 AM
    "Expressing an opinion on the opinions"? I agree with the article cnet put out and RIM being top heavy as many global corporations have become is as obvious as the dye in your hair. My solutions were offered and your welcome to re-read if you like.

"No friends have been insulted...if they had you'd see me REALLY go off."

"actually offer actionable constructive criticism"

"Oh...wait....it's because they're armchair CEOs who
    haven't a clue and are just off blowing steam....such a
    17 year old does in his basement, anonymously hiding
    behind a girlfriend's name on a web forum spewing
    nonsense.
    Got it."

Qbnkelt's constructive criticism for today.

Funny how the least imaginative people are always the ones to moan about etiquette.
    Yes. isn't it?

What *exactly* is your peeve? That I dare to say that if there are going to be criticisms those who criticise in the most strident fashion should offer up solutions? That expectation is at the root of progressive thiking towards a goal rather than simply bemoaning to the skies.
    I expressed no opinion on etiquette. I expressed an opinion on the lack of substance in so many of RIM leadership bashing posts.
    My challenge is simple - bash away but produce an alternative with merit. Otherwise it lacks credibility.
    07-27-11 07:19 AM
    Are you not outraged after seeing those two send 2000 people packing and they changed nothing on their end?
    07-27-11 07:20 AM
142 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD