But first i have few questions...

now with blackberry messenger do you just put in your aim name and password. and your able to chat or is it a specified blackberry acct?

does the blackberry come with gps and is there a monthly charge to use? or is it just part of the data package?

with the email...does it push all email:gmail, mac mail, yahoo - to your phone or is it only for enterprise accts?

Thanks for the help!!!

TK
    02-20-09 10:23 PM
    BBM- comes with the data plan, you chat with the fine floks here at crackberry.
    has a built in GPS, if you are with att they want you to pay for telanav,but theres goggle maps for free.
    all email can be pushed with the data plan!
    02-20-09 10:28 PM
    Early congrats on entering the bb world

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 10:32 PM
    But first i have few questions...

now with blackberry messenger do you just put in your aim name and password. and your able to chat or is it a specified blackberry acct?

does the blackberry come with gps and is there a monthly charge to use? or is it just part of the data package?

with the email...does it push all email:gmail, mac mail, yahoo - to your phone or is it only for enterprise accts?

Thanks for the help!!!

TK
    The Bold is an awesome device. WIth 3g coverage, wifi, gps etc. its got it all.

Blackberry Messenger is an instant messaging application that ONLY works between Blackberry devices. There is no computer desktop application like AIM or Googletalk etc. You can use other IM programs on the Bold in addition to BB Messenger. There are no additional charges/fees to use Blackberry Messenger.

As advertised, the Bold has GPS and there is no charge to use it. AT&T offers their navigator service for $9.99 month which uses the device's gps but you are not required to use it. You can either use Blackberry Maps or Google Maps which are both free and use the Bold's integrated gps.

Blackberry Internet Service (BIS) allows you to set up email accounts that will push the your email messages in real time to your device. With BIS, you also get to create a private Blackberry email account that can only be accessed by your device.

I believe AT&T also includes their cellular video service with an active BIS account at no extra charge. It's really cool.

Whatever you choose, good luck.
    02-20-09 10:45 PM
    Like said you can use bb messenger but there is a separate aim app as well too. As for GPS you do got to pay if your model has GPS and you decide to use telenav but it depends on what model you have. You can use google maps if you have GPS also but google maps won't give you turn by turn the same as telenav but it will draw route out for you and follow you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 10:50 PM
    thanks for the help...

so i can put "aim" on my blackberry as an application and use that for IM'S?

and the google maps...is it turn by turn GPS with the voice prompts?

all i have to do now is find a bold at a decent price. I don't wanna buy it new or through att, cause i dont wanna re-up my contract. i just wanna switch phones and test it out. Since june seems like the time a lot of phones are gonna drop...i wanna keep my options open.

Anyone know of anyone or any where selling cheap used bolds?

TK
    02-20-09 10:54 PM
    Yes you can add AIM on the Bold. Just make sure you have the unlimited data plan on your account.

Google Maps does not have offer voice prompts but you can find your location via gps and seek your destination with instructions but no voice prompts. For that, you need AT&T Navigator @ $9.99/month. I believe they give you a 30 day free trial.

Buying a Bold without a contract is not cheap. If you check the market place here in crackberry, they range in price from $400-$500. Some are unlocked which means they can used on other GSM networks such as T-Mobile etc. There are also many selling on Ebay but again, the cheapest you will find will be in the $400 range, maybe $350 if you are lucky.
    If you can, purchase a new Bold from AT&T. You have 30 days to return it if you do not like it. You will know if it is the right device for you within the first week.
    02-20-09 11:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD