Just got an email notification from XOHM ... Looks like the merger with Sprint and Clearwire has been finalized!

For those of you who are not familiar, WiMAX is a somewhat new spinoff of WiFi which allows for broadband wireless access points on a new frequency. Similar to WiFi, with one huge exception. The range. I don't remember the specifics, but the range on this frequency is HUGE! And its capable of broadband speeds and faster. Imagine a world with WiMAX BlackBerries ... Broadband connectivity all across the continental US, right from your Berry!!

This is gonna be HUGE!!! At least, I think and hope it is! The possibilities are literally endless.

From what I've read, Clearewire and Sprint already have WiMAX coverage for free in Baltimore (correct me if I'm wrong) and the reviews were fantastic.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone else following Clearwires movements, or WiMAX...anyone out there actually tested out the WiMAX network yet??

Lemme know-share your thoughts!

-Michael

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-08 04:55 PM
    I don't know, if it was that good AT&T and Verizon would be on it, they are both persuing a completely different network. If you have a data plan, then you don't need Wi-Fi...
    12-01-08 05:00 PM
    I don't think you know what you're talking about. The data plan that any major carrier can offer now (even 3g) is extremely slow compared to broadband speeds that are capable with a computer, in home. If you have a data plan, and your phone is wi-fi enabled, why in gods name would you sit on an edge or cell data network, when you can cruise @ broadband speeds over Wi-Fi? Lol...anyway, that's not the point of my post.

WiMAX allows for broadband connectivity, similar to WiFi with a range that far, far surpasses WiFi.

This post isint necessarilly about att, verizon or any cell companies/cell phones in particular. It was about Clearmax, and WiMAX, which is why I am posting in the Wi-Fi section of the forum.

...but thanks for playing!

-Michael

12-01-08 05:44 PM
    I don't think you know what you're talking about. The data plan that any major carrier can offer now (even 3g) is extremely slow compared to broadband speeds that are capable with a computer, in home. If you have a data plan, and your phone is wi-fi enabled, why in gods name would you sit on an edge or cell data network, when you can cruise @ broadband speeds over Wi-Fi? Lol...anyway, that's not the point of my post.

WiMAX allows for broadband connectivity, similar to WiFi with a range that far, far surpasses WiFi.

This post isint necessarilly about att, verizon or any cell companies/cell phones in particular. It was about Clearmax, and WiMAX, which is why I am posting in the Wi-Fi section of the forum.

...but thanks for playing!

-Michael

Forgive my n00bness, but if you wanted to use your phone over a WiMAX enabled network, is there a specific hardware requirement besides the standard wifi radios already included in todays devices? I guess what I mean is, are todays phones able to take advantage of the network, or do we need to wait for future hardware?
    12-01-08 06:08 PM
    The idea of true mobile broadband is very exciting. I get amazing speeds through on my phone and laptop through the Sprint EV-DO wireless broadband network so I can only imagine how fast this new WiMAX network will run. WiMAX is not only talking the talk but actually walking the walk. Current WiMAX users rave about the blazing speeds.

I am not a Blackberry user yet, but I will be using very shortly. With the prospect of a WiMAX Blackberry in the future who can refuse?
    05-12-09 07:27 PM
    I have ATT and their 3G coverage sucks. I get stuck in EDGE most of the time when I was in the new mexico, arizona and texas area. Don't advertise your network being the best if u can't bring it.

05-13-09 05:53 PM
    WiMAX is Sprint's new "4G" they've been touting. WiMAX cannot be picked up by standard WiFi cards, it is a different standard, IEEE 802.16, not the 802.11 standard that consumer WiFi is based on. Its definately not free and its only available in one city... Baltimore, I beleive, with expansion to Philly (I think) before the year is out, and no word on further expansion. The only device that Sprint/Nextel sells right now that even supports it is the U300 4G/3G USB modem, there is not yet a single phone available from Sprint that supports it. Just clarifying what WiMAX is.
    05-13-09 10:40 PM
    I've heard lots of people disappointed with att slow service...

Rogers 3G here in Toronto is very fast...
    06-17-09 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD