It pretty sad that articles like that shape the way that some people think. It seems no matter what they do scrutiny will always follow.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-23-11 12:19 AM
    video editing is not even fifth priority in smartphone world. maybe no 25 after battery life, software interactions, application management, touchscreen etc. this would just be complimentary service.
    when your products are old, your new products look like rehashed old devices, your shares are down a lot, your CEOs doesn't talk, the whole world will look down at every single thing you do. and would take every chance to critisize - and other OS users just make a big joke of everything. its normal.
    07-23-11 07:32 AM
    video editing is not even fifth priority in smartphone world. maybe no 25 after battery life, software interactions, application management, touchscreen etc. this would just be complimentary service.
    when your products are old, your new products look like rehashed old devices, your shares are down a lot, your CEOs doesn't talk, the whole world will look down at every single thing you do. and would take every chance to critisize - and other OS users just make a big joke of everything. its normal.
    Ok, not sure what your point is here, but the incessant negativity is getting really old and tired.

This acquisition was made specifically to add video editing functionality to the PlayBook. In case you hadn't noticed, the PlayBook isn't a smartphone.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-23-11 08:32 AM
    Wow, RIM, really can't write their own code anymore can they?

Do they have any inhouse programmers? They keep buying companies to fill the gaps. I guess if you can't beat them, buy them...
    It's not a matter of whether they can bolster in-house development resources to accomplish the goal. It's a matter of cost and efficiency.

They could start from scratch and spend a significant amount of time and resources to get into the game some time in the future, or they could spend some coin to appropriate the equipment to join the game much sooner.

It's not a hard decision to make if you have the option.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-23-11 08:38 AM
    It's not a matter of whether they can bolster in-house development resources to accomplish the goal. It's a matter of cost and efficiency.

They could start from scratch and spend a significant amount of time and resources to get into the game some time in the future, or they could spend some coin to appropriate the equipment to join the game much sooner.

It's not a hard decision to make if you have the option.
    Exactly. QNX is not the BBOS. Most of RIM's existing software knowledge base is in BBOS and BIS/BES. The BBOS side would be Java experts since the OS is based on Java. QNX is not based on Java. While you can get your people retrained, it takes time. By acquiring a need that can rapidly develop you give people time to transition while still getting the job done quickly. At some point though if the BBOS guys can't transition over to the QNX environment programming, they will need to be let go.
    sf49ers and Jake Storm like this.
    07-23-11 09:50 AM
    Exactly. QNX is not the BBOS. Most of RIM's existing software knowledge base is in BBOS and BIS/BES. The BBOS side would be Java experts since the OS is based on Java. QNX is not based on Java. While you can get your people retrained, it takes time. By acquiring a need that can rapidly develop you give people time to transition while still getting the job done quickly. At some point though if the BBOS guys can't transition over to the QNX environment programming, they will need to be let go.
    It's not like the inhouse teams are not busy anyway
    upgraded IM clients just came out, that didn't magically happen
    upgraded BB Travel
    we have BB Protect, BB Wallet, BB Bridge, continued development of BBM, RIM has pushed out a lot of small content that I am sure was no small feat to develop while also trying to develop an entirely new OS built off of a Kernel of an OS they purchased. then porting every one of these Blackberry Apps to that OS for when it launched on a handheld.

They have to keep looking to the future without forgetting the present and the past, so buying new teams is a great way to do this with minimal corporate culture training
    lnichols, grover5 and Jake Storm like this.
    07-23-11 10:17 AM
    My goodness, no matter what it is, the media will find a way to spin it against RIM these days. This is terrible journalism. RIM is still a cash cow and felt this would be a nice addition to their team. 7 employees, pshhh. Its not like they are pulling people off other projects to do this aquisition. And maybe, just maybe, RIM saw some talent there that could help them in other areas.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-23-11 10:35 AM
    It's a cool differentiator. Certainly not the lone salvation of RIM or even the PlayBook, but a good move IMHO.

Differentiator??? It's catch-up. Apple already has iMovie for iPad in market.
    07-23-11 11:10 AM
    Agreed. But that doesn't make the move any less smart. It's a good welcomed addition to the platform that was needed to try & stay with the competition. Anyone who wants to blast them for that has ulterior motives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    purijagmohan likes this.
    07-23-11 11:14 AM
    It's a good welcomed addition to the platform that was needed to try & stay with the competition. Anyone who wants to blast them for that has ulterior motives.
    What "ulterior motives"? The problem is that in order to develop powerful apps developers need money. Lots of money. And there has to be a return on investment. Without a large target audience, why would anyone invest in it?

RIM failed to make their QNX platform a success because they should have developed the platform first, then the devices. Not the other way around. They fell into the same trap that Apple (quality control) and IBM (brand) did in the 1980's. They thought it was all about the hardware. It's not.

It's the software. If RIM released a QNX SDK instead of the Playbook, they could have held off the PlayBook till next month cause it would actually have true business apps ready at launch. They would sell gazillions!

Even in 2011, the cart still comes after the horse.
    07-23-11 12:37 PM
    What "ulterior motives"? The problem is that in order to develop powerful apps developers need money. Lots of money. And there has to be a return on investment. Without a large target audience, why would anyone invest in it?

RIM failed to make their QNX platform a success because they should have developed the platform first, then the devices. Not the other way around. They fell into the same trap that Apple (quality control) and IBM (brand) did in the 1980's. They thought it was all about the hardware. It's not.

It's the software. If RIM released a QNX SDK instead of the Playbook, they could have held off the PlayBook till next month cause it would actually have true business apps ready at launch. They would sell gazillions!

None of this has any bearing on whether or not it was a good move for RIM to do this or not. The past is the past & can't be taken back regardless of how you or I feel about the platform.
    Bottom line is it is a good move whether they're late or not and you seem to be disputing that.
    07-23-11 12:44 PM
    Bottom line is it is a good move whether they're late or not and you seem to be disputing that.
    The bottom line is that by being this late, nobody will care. It's like selling tires to a car you bought last month. The people that bought the car will get excited, but nobody else will.

Selling the whole car at once is a big difference. The car will always be thought of as the one without the tires. That's the problem with public (media) perception. You only have one shot at making a first impression. And unfortunately, that's the one that sticks.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I know marketing. You have to think like the masses.
    07-23-11 01:00 PM

So your saying that developers won't develop without a large target audience because there has to be ROI, but if RIM had released an SDK for an OS that wasn't running on any device, i.e no audience, then developer would have had apps ready to go at launch?!?
    07-23-11 01:13 PM
    The bottom line is that by being this late, nobody will care. It's like selling tires to a car you bought last month. The people that bought the car will get excited, but nobody else will.

Selling the whole car at once is a big difference. The car will always be thought of as the one without the tires. That's the problem with public (media) perception. You only have one shot at making a first impression. And unfortunately, that's the one that sticks.

Not trying to be argumentative, but I know marketing. You have to think like the masses.
    So...no platform should add any new functionality because the only people who will care are the current owners of the platforms?
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-23-11 01:17 PM
    So your saying that developers won't develop without a large target audience because there has to be ROI, but if RIM had released an SDK for an OS that wasn't running on any device, i.e no audience, then developer would have had apps ready to go at launch?!?
    The issue is that their apps will be available at launch. The developers products become the story. "Look what I CAN do with this device." The cost of marketing the app is part of RIM's promo. Plus there is the initial surge of sales that the app will take advantage of.

The iPad had ZERO audience at launch, but automatically had hundreds of thousands of iPhone apps PLUS several hundred iPad enhanced.

Huge difference.
    Last edited by sosumi11; 07-23-11 at 01:50 PM.
    07-23-11 01:41 PM
    The issue is that their apps will be available at launch. The developers products become the story. "Look what I CAN do with this device." The cost of marketing the app is part of RIM's promo. Plus there is the initial surge of sales that the app will take advantage of.

The iPad had ZERO audience at launch, but automatically had hundreds of thousands of iPhone apps PLUS several hundred iPad enhanced.

Huge difference.
    You're right. I don't believe anyone is really disputing that. But we're talking about what's good for RIM. And acquiring them was a good move.
    07-23-11 01:55 PM
    the well publisized TAT acquisition got positive reviews. but where are the apps? after 3 months playbook finally got leaked android player - playing stuff from blapkmarket. quite astonishing feat.
    now this jaycut video editing will definitely work well in rim's future superphones with 2.5" screen...curve, bold, you name it.
    integrating different entities with different working culture etc will take months if not years. it's not a short term solution unless you buy a big player, like buying handmark or some big application developer. that would make change.
    07-23-11 04:43 PM
    I guess video editing on the iPhone 4 is not important enough to warrant it being included on its OS... according to the article...
    07-23-11 06:15 PM
    I guess video editing on the iPhone 4 is not important enough to warrant it being included on its OS... according to the article...
    You can't compare iPhone or iPad against another device unless that device doesn't have anything to compare it to! Don't be stupid. Only Apple can expand their ecosystem, no one else can!
    07-23-11 08:50 PM
    People who post na�ve comments based on over-simplified "analysis" just look foolish.

You don't have to believe me when I tell you that I have extensive experience with Android, iOS, BlackBerry OS and PlayBook (QNX) OS and that I prefer my BlackBerry OS device as my primary communication device, despite having owned and used an iPhone for months, and having owned and use an Android device for months, and I don't even use BBM that much.

I like the hardware, the way the OS works, the handful of non-communications apps I use on the device, and I don't mind carrying other devices that are better suited to other roles... I play games on a Nintendo DS (games that I have had as much fun playing as any games on consoles or PCs), I do other little things on my iPod Touch, I tinker around with Android, but I would give them all up in a heartbeat if I had to pick only 1 device, because I'd have to pick my BlackBerry. Peer-eee-uhd.

So, go on an troll and flame and so on because you can't understand why RIM would buy a developer of online video editing tools.

Here's a perfectly reasonable explanation for it, that I haven't seen mentioned explicitly: video processing and codec development is some of the most challenging aspects of computing today. Perhaps they only wanted the expertise of the staff, not for any online video editing software or service, but deep-down-in-the-weeds codec and algorithm knowledge. Maybe the company has a patent or two that is noteworthy.

I'm sure I don't care, because I'm not into video editing, but I understand that there's something called "You-Tube" that the kids today seem to like.

On one hand, critics lambaste RIM for being too corporate focused, and when they do something that has a more consumer-based leaning, they're getting it from the other side.

So, since you can't please all of the people all of the time, I conclude that RIM is absolutely positively on the right track. Keep pissing off tech blog losers, RIM, and you're doing something right!

Oh, and by the way, just because they've acquired an online video editing company doesn't mean all their other development groups and business units have stopped working, so telling them to keep working on PlayBook native email is just, well, insipid. Churlish, even.
    Jake Storm and rjshahan like this.
    07-24-11 12:05 AM
    hataz gon hate ha ha.....

i dont even use video editing but if RIM wants to bring added functionality to their platform, then who is anybody to complain. i'll take anything they wanna add to the bag of goodies QNX will bring

i have a feeling that this isnt the last lil acquisition we see either.....
    07-24-11 07:56 AM
    I suppose your correct. Considering they might be subject matter experts on email, that hasn't stopped them from releasing a device with no email... I'm thinking it has more to do with lack of talent...

I'm sure all the people that might have lost their jobs recently at RIM are happy to see them acquire another company rather than developing something in house.
    With all the superimposed intentional negativity your pushing I wondering if you got some kind of angle in it. Companies buy and sell each other all the time. Does anyone question your motives when you buy milk at the store? I mean its a whole lot easier than finding a cow and bucket.... No you dont have to explain we all get it, same concept.

That said, from the recently laid off employees perspective I bet they are really pissed, I am sure your right there. So did RIM lay off their video editor programers and then hire on the cheap? Only speculation unless you work there.
    07-24-11 07:57 AM
    All I want to say is: I want Video Editing on my PlayBook. - The article stripped back tells me this is going to happen. I shall continue on with my life now.
    07-24-11 08:04 AM
    Yeah and where are the articles saying Google is too late with Google+...?
    Can't say I've heard/read a single one, have you? AFAIK everybody is playing catch up in some way with each other...so let's see 20 million for Google+ and ~700 million for Facebook, why does Goolge even bother? Maybe you should let them know so they can stop this madness
    sleepngbear likes this.
    07-24-11 08:30 AM
    Time for another little fireside chat. I guess it is up to me to say what everybody already knows. This move is nothing more than the Appleization of RIM, and by extension, the industry. Time to face facts, RIM as we know it, is dead. It died the moment the two fools steering the ship proclaimed the iPhone to be no big deal. This move is just evidence that they are starting to realize they are dead, and desperately need a rebirth... in Apple's image.

The TP shouldn't even exist. RIM doesn't make computers. Tablets are computers, not phones. RIM tried to hang on to a part of their old identity by pretending that the PB was a business tool. The fact that they seem more interested in Angry Birds as opposed to email belies that assertion.

Now, they realize their iPad is missing iMovie. Sooner or later, they will also discover GarageBand. With any luck, they will get around to copying iWork: you know, a business tool. This is not your father's Blackberry!

Those intent on defending RIM need to understand that RIM has thoroughly and irrevocably lost. The RIM you defend does not exist anymore. The same is true for the bashers. The RIM you mock died a long time ago. The problem for both sides is that the RIM that remains cannot decide whether it wants to be just a slightly spruced up version of the old RIM, or something completely new. It can't be both.

The old RIM made its fortune selling phones to IT provisioners: one sell, ten thousand units. In this brave new world, for the first time, they have to make their living selling devices to end users who actually choose to buy the product with their own money. RIM has no experiencing making phones that average end users actually want. Naturally, they have to buy the talent for making a consumer product. That is lightyears outside of their core competency.

In reality, RIM is a startup that needs to clean house and get rid of all the baggage of the past, starting with the fools at the top. Rebranding wouldn't be a bad idea either. As long as they keep pretending to be a cooler, hipper version of their old, dead self, they will continue to be marginalized in the media... And they deserve every drop of scorn heaped on them. Only when they embrace the fact that the old RIM is dead and something new is emerging, will they be able to move in the right direction and get a little respect.
    sportline likes this.
    07-24-11 09:05 AM
78 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD