Clearly Video Editing Will Solve All of RIM’s Problems
    From GIZMODO

Kat Hannaford —RIM, the maker of all BlackBerrys, is in hot water. It's not boiling yet, but I just dipped my finger in and it's definitely simmering after today's big announcement that RIM's bought JayCut, a video-editing company.

Whatever could RIM want a video-editing company for? Is it for this rumored Apple TV-rival product that will supposedly stream content from Netflix, YouTube, and other services? I doubt it.

Hailing from Sweden, JayCut and its seven employees work on an editing suite that is compatible with "any mobile device, using any media on the web," letting you "publish the result to any device or website." It doesn't take a scientist to work out RIM wants to include a video-editing tool on upcoming PlayBook tablets, and possibly even BlackBerry phones, too.

In fact, that's exactly what RIM's CTO Davic Yach has written on the company blog:

"The BlackBerry PlayBook offers users premium multimedia features, including dual HD cameras for video capture and video conferencing, HDMI output and high resolution video playback. By working with JayCut to add video editing capabilities to the BlackBerry platform we can further enrich our customers' multimedia experience with BlackBerry."

Jonas, JayCut's CEO, wrote on their blog that the acquisition will let them "focus solely on developing great video editing tools, which has the potential to be used by many millions of users." It's obviously a great move on JayCut's side, selling to the wealthy Canadian company—but is video-editing the must-have feature that will keep BlackBerry users upgrading to the next device, and lure customers away from the iPhone and to RIM? Of course not. [JayCut and RIM]

Clearly Video Editing Will Solve All of RIM's Problems
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    07-22-11 11:45 AM
    RIM has to do this to compete going forward. They clearly didn't have the talent in house so you have to go out and get it. Hopefully it leads to a great product with great capability.
    07-22-11 11:54 AM
    I really am disappointed that these tech sites continue this bashing. They're thinking towards the future! WTF!? Is wrong with that?

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com
    chiefbroski likes this.
    07-22-11 12:03 PM
    I really am disappointed that these tech sites continue this bashing. They're thinking towards the future! WTF!? Is wrong with that?

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com
    Because half of the tech site writers have never actually had a Job outside of writing and think everything can be done right now!

No thought of the future, just reporting on what they see, in tunnel vision.
    jxnb, sf49ers and bquinney like this.
    07-22-11 12:10 PM
    Geeezz... What a lame article. No matter what RIM does they can't get a break from bs like this. It really is a shame how quickly people can turn their backs and start on a never ending crusade to bring down RIM. The author really does deserve to get hit by a truck full of iphones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Buzz_Dengue, dudermont and 01itr like this.
    07-22-11 12:26 PM
    It's a cool differentiator. Certainly not the lone salvation of RIM or even the PlayBook, but a good move IMHO.

07-22-11 12:27 PM
    Wow, RIM, really can't write their own code anymore can they?

Do they have any inhouse programmers? They keep buying companies to fill the gaps. I guess if you can't beat them, buy them...
    K Bear likes this.
    07-22-11 12:30 PM

Do they have any inhouse programmers? They keep buying companies to fill the gaps. I guess if you can't beat them, buy them...

WTF! I was about to just unleash here, and decided WTFAYS fits better
    andyahs, Dapper37, sf49ers and 3 others like this.
    07-22-11 12:32 PM
    Apple Said to Consider a Bid for Hulu - Bloomberg

Looks like Apple may Buy Hulu

everyone is looking at ways to bring more media control to their tablets.
    07-22-11 12:35 PM

Umm, there's this little thing called subject matter expertise that doesn't just happen by typing lines of code. RIM's expertise is in the areas of OS's, networking, security, communications, and a few odd apps, none of which have the slightest thing in common with video editing other than possibly running on the same platform. Every large and successful corporation does the exact same thing.

andyahs, chiefbroski and drjay868 like this.
    07-22-11 12:36 PM
    RIM bought a company with 7 employees.
    Buzz_Dengue likes this.
    07-22-11 12:47 PM
    People still read Gizmodo?
    07-22-11 12:48 PM
    but i bet they`d cry in their cereal if apple discontinued iMovie. obvioulsy they dont get that RIM is getting all the pieces of the puzzle together, and much like a puzzle, one piece on its own doesnt make much sense, only the end product does.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    07-22-11 01:00 PM
    WTF! I was about to just unleash here, and decided WTFAYS fits better
    Please unleash. I'm glad personal attacks seem more fitting to you.
    07-22-11 02:12 PM
    Umm, there's this little thing called subject matter expertise that doesn't just happen by typing lines of code. RIM's expertise is in the areas of OS's, networking, security, communications, and a few odd apps, none of which have the slightest thing in common with video editing other than possibly running on the same platform. Every large and successful corporation does the exact same thing.
    I suppose your correct. Considering they might be subject matter experts on email, that hasn't stopped them from releasing a device with no email... I'm thinking it has more to do with lack of talent...

I'm sure all the people that might have lost their jobs recently at RIM are happy to see them acquire another company rather than developing something in house.
    The_PLBs likes this.
    07-22-11 02:14 PM

It's almost the same as hiring people who specialize in something that you are trying to expand and make one of your core competencies. Remember companies like Apple and Microsoft were already designing software and that was their core business. So for this type of stuff they already has existing talent inside. But even with that, they both have to either hire people or buy the technology they want to be apart of their business. Remember, multi-media was not RIM's strength. Their core competency was enterprise solutions and excelling at communications. It makes sense for them to have to buy and hire from the outside because this is something that they were never good at. But isn't this what you want them to do? Go out and get the right people for the job rather than relying on people in house who never had the skills and never will. Then you end up with products like the Storm..... putting a OS not designed for a touchscreen on a touchscreen device. Which is why they bought QNX in order to develop a OS made for the current hardware and environment. I don't see how this is a bad thing if it will help add to QNX development.
    07-22-11 02:16 PM
    People still read Gizmodo?
    #CLASSIC

No seriously, I agree with most of the posters here. This move wasn't meant to save RIM. It's meant to give it's end users more functionality with their products. It's not about one thing in particular. It's about all of them combined & the experience all of these things provide.
    We all know, all of this is going to happen instantly. But step by step RIM is building/acquiring the tools required/needed to have a prosperous future in mobile industry like it or not..
    07-22-11 02:22 PM
    It's almost the same as hiring people who specialize in something that you are trying to expand and make one of your core competencies. Remember companies like Apple and Microsoft were already designing software and that was their core business. So for this type of stuff they already has existing talent inside. But even with that, they both have to either hire people or buy the technology they want to be apart of their business. Remember, multi-media was not RIM's strength. Their core competency was enterprise solutions and excelling at communications. It makes sense for them to have to buy and hire from the outside because this is something that they were never good at. But isn't this what you want them to do? Go out and get the right people for the job rather than relying on people in house who never had the skills and never will. Then you end up with products like the Storm..... putting a OS not designed for a touchscreen on a touchscreen device. Which is why they bought QNX in order to develop a OS made for the current hardware and environment. I don't see how this is a bad thing if it will help add to QNX development.
    Thanks for an intelligent response, without a personal attack. It's appreciated. Gold star sticker for you!!!

I think they are best to stay away from the multi-media platform and concentrate on their own backyard first. Email communications, which their tablet is lacking... They are way too far behind in multi-media, and their are too many players in the game. I get a kick out of all the people I see on my daily transit commute, playing with their Blackberries, listening to their iPods...
    07-22-11 02:22 PM
    anyone still want to chime on about how blackberry is a business tool and don't care about the consumer model?
    scorpiodsu and K Bear like this.
    07-22-11 02:25 PM
    Lack of Video editing on Playbook has always been a sore spot for me, but I'm glad RIM can cross this off the bucket list, if and when it becomes a native QNX app. It's a welcome addition...

Do I really want to upload 1080p video somewhere to edit it? I t don't think so... Mind you there really is no information on the jaycut website as to how their software/services work, so I won't pretend I know how it works...
    07-22-11 02:27 PM
    Thanks for an intelligent response, without a personal attack. It's appreciated. Gold star sticker for you!!!

I think they are best to stay away from the multi-media platform and concentrate on their own backyard first. Email communications, which their tablet is lacking... They are way too far behind in multi-media, and their are too many players in the game. I get a kick out of all the people I see on my daily transit commute, playing with their Blackberries, listening to their iPods...
    Well I do agree with that. They do need to get QNX up to speed. No argument here. But if this is also going to contribute to QNX sometime in the near future, I don't think this takes away from fixing email. Think about it, if the same people that were working for this company are going to now work for RIM, then RIM won't use any of their current human resources (that should be working on QNX) on this, right? Now if this takes away from getting QNX up, then I'm with you. But I don't think that's the case. Anything that will get QNX up, I'm all for it. But working on media boxes to hook up to your TV and stuff..... i'm totally against those things.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-22-11 02:28 PM
    anyone still want to chime on about how blackberry is a business tool and don't care about the consumer model?
    RIM eventually wants to have a platform that does everything the "toys" do. I guess it will make their product "toys" as well. Go figure.
    K Bear likes this.
    07-22-11 03:30 PM
    Working on improving the multimedia capabilities of their devices has no relation to the development of the messaging components or vice-versa. I don't see how they concentrate more on email if they don't worry about multimedia, different teams working on separate pieces of the puzzle. The bottom line is RIM HAS to improve the multimedia capabilities of their devices to be competitive, they can't sell an almost pure communication device anymore. This is a mandatory step in comprehensively upgrading their platform.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-22-11 05:25 PM
    all in all it's a nice a acquisition, why because it is not a standalone product, it is something which already works on the playbook via browser, as is now you may capture video on the playbook and edit using their product, what they are going to do bring it to the playbook as a native app in no time using webworks SDK and make the controls tablet friendly. Playbook got the flake for not the OS being buggy but having very limited functionality and RIM is trying to bridge that gap.
    07-22-11 08:07 PM

Mark
    @allaboutmybb
    www.allaboutmybb.com
    Because its leaving out today. And who care about tomorrow if were living for today

07-22-11 08:26 PM
78 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD