About to buy a bold off someone that has it unlocked for t mobile, but I need it for att. How can I find out if the esn # is clean?
    09-26-09 07:57 AM
    Call the original service provider that the phone is for and ask if its lost or stolen

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-09 09:41 AM
    well first off, GSM phones dont have ESN's, they use IMEI's. in north america, cell carriers dont block stolen IMEI's the way CDMA providers block ESN's. however, the PIN for a blackberry can be blocked by RIM. so go ahead and call AT&T and ask them if the PIN and IMEI are clear.
    09-26-09 10:22 AM
    Well I'm on wap so I couldn't see that he was on a gsm network.. But wouldn't you still have to call he original provider for imei?

09-26-09 10:29 AM
    Well I'm on wap so I couldn't see that he was on a gsm network.. But wouldn't you still have to call he original provider for imei?

its irrelevant what network hes on. the Bold is a GSM only device so he would have to call them either way to verify the IMEI and PIN are clear. and he clearly stated in his first post that the current user is using it on t-mobile and he needs it for at&t. both of them are GSM only carriers.
    09-26-09 10:34 AM
    its irrelevant what network hes on. the Bold is a GSM only device so he would have to call them either way to verify the IMEI and PIN are clear. and he clearly stated in his first post that the current user is using it on t- mobile and he needs it for at&t. both of them are GSM only carriers.
    Well I'm from Canada from what's in my profile so I wouldn't know but that's how we check here so I would of thought it wouldve been the same

09-26-09 10:39 AM
    Yea well calling the carrier is the way to go. However, I just stated that gsm phones don't have esn's.

09-26-09 11:36 AM
    Gsm phones do have serial numbers though only thing is you don't program the phone you program the card the imei is a serial number though

09-26-09 11:38 AM
    Gsm phones do have serial numbers though only thing is you don't program the phone you program the card the imei is a serial number though

The IMEI is the serial number for the device but isn't used to activate the
    phone such as the ESN is for CDMA. All that activates the phone is the sim
    card.

However as stated above, the IMEI could be blocked by RIM. The OP just
    needs to call AT&T and they'll be able to verify it. Simple as that.
    09-26-09 12:49 PM
    Ya I know now didn't see he was on gsm but the comment I made that too was he said gsm phones don't have serial numbers at all

09-26-09 12:51 PM
    I said gsm phones don't have ESN's, not that they don't have serial numbers. Gsm phones have IMEI's for serial numbers and don't need to be programmed like a CDMA phone does.

09-26-09 02:39 PM
    This is actually quite an informative post. I'm proud to report that this thread has helped me gain knowledge and insight.

And no, I'm not being sarcastic.

09-26-09 02:49 PM
    Yes you can use his phone because the Bold was sold in an unlocked version and the ATT version which means if he is using it on tmobile then yes it should work on ATT. Yes GSM phones have serial number. No nothing has to be cleared for you to use a gsm phone normally. In this case it does because RIM takes the extra precautions that the carriers don't. I would be slightly weary though if this guy is telling you not to worry about serial numbers. That sounds sketchy to me!

09-26-09 02:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD