I agree with the OP as well and I love my Q10. For me the next step is Passport.
    And I don't agree with all those who say Q10 was the reason for blackberry going under. But rather the Z10. Refer this article below.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/09/29/aft...to-u-s-buyers/

Q10
    mighthor likes this.
    10-30-14 11:35 AM
    Sorry dude but it doesn't really matter what you want. You're in the minority. The q10 almost killed BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    You got that quite wrong. It was the Z10. Below article clarifies it well. There are many more.

Q10
    clickitykeys and mighthor like this.
    10-30-14 11:38 AM
    Its not just a PR thing or timing. The toolbelt is just THAT important. If you guys don't realize this, just wait for the sales.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 11:48 AM
    Well in addition to the toolbelt it's suppose to have better battery and bigger screen so yes it is better

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 11:50 AM
    Its not just a PR thing or timing. The toolbelt is just THAT important. If you guys don't realize this, just wait for the sales.

Posted via CB10
    I don't expect the sales to be overly spectacular but definitely better than the Q10

Posted via CB Q10 or 9000
    10-30-14 11:51 AM
    10-30-14 11:59 AM
    Agree with topic heading. But hope "Classic" is a success along with "Passport" for corporate concerns.
    10-30-14 12:07 PM
    I just hope the Classic doesn't suffer from double typing. I've owned a lot of BlackBerry devices, but haven't ever had one that became practically useless 3 months after buying it - except for the Q10 of course. My replacement Q10 developed doubling typing as well. Because of that problem alone, the Q10 is the absolute worst BlackBerry I've ever owned. Even the 7250 from ten years ago had the ability to enter text properly.

Still on the fence about if I will buy a Classic or not, but more and more I'm leaning towards yes. I will wait to see if it double types first though.
    10-30-14 12:20 PM
    New keyboard, new problems. Q10 is the first device that adapted the non-curved keyboard. Previous devices had curved keyboards and not once was there a consistent issue with "double typing" like with the Q10. I would hope they avoided that issue at all costs with the classic but only time will tell. Could be a design that they worked the kinks out of with the classic. Let's hope!

10-30-14 12:37 PM
    The Classic is a good replacement to the Q10, while the Q10 is nice and I have gotten over the need for a toolbelt very early on it was a let down in a few ways. While it may be "a step backwards" the toolbelt works, dedicated call keys were excellent, I'd much prefer that to any touchscreen call/end functions, it's annoying to wait for screen to turn on again and carefully push end (on all touchscreens!) and the convenience key and back button just add another option for navigation. Of course the trackpad is always a welcome addition!

Since BB10 is so stable I won't really miss the removable battery, it's biggest purpose in the past was to restart frozen legacy devices, while it makes it easier to swap a fresh battery in most people are accustomed to carrying chargers anyway, and with better battery life than a Q10 it should be fine, I usually get a solid 14hr day of moderate to heavy usage currently.

My biggest gripe is that the carbon weave isn't being used on the new phones, cause it's just so sexy and unique.

While I'll probably skip the Classic, waiting for a slider or a passport, it will be an excellent replacement for my gf's Q10

BB for Life
    thanos1 likes this.
    10-30-14 03:43 PM
    Who's to say that the Classic won't have the same issue? Both my 9630 and 9930 had the same double type issues, so it isn't as if this is a new thing for BlackBerry's quality control people. I only had to replace each of those once, while I'm on my fourth Q10, but I shouldn't have needed to replace any of them in my opinion.
    10-30-14 04:09 PM
    You got that quite wrong. It was the Z10. Below article clarifies it well. There are many more.

Q10
    I was just thinking this when I read that comment. Who in their right mind would say the Q10 is what nearly put BlackBerry under when it was actually the Z10 write down that decimated the company.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 04:19 PM
    A review posted of the Classic on CB indicated that the Classic is better on a number of fronts. The screen being much better and the tool pad for the most part useful. In my view the looks and build quality appear to be better than the Q10.

Regardless, I do not think that the Classic has much appeal to consumers in general. Nor do I feel that non-enterprise BBOS users are chomping at the bit to purchase a Classic. The BBOS owners I know have limited needs beyond texting and e-mailing and are only interesting in purchasing a new phone should theirs break. I do think there are e-mail / phone BBOS power users who can benefit from the Classic. The Classic will perform much better than the 9900.

It has been pointed out that physical keyboards will break down eventually . This is true. The life expectancy of a 9900 used in business is maybe two years. The 9900 does not have the double typing issue except as a result of heavy use.

Bottom line , the Classic will be a much better phone than the Q10 and can be used by one hand and it can easily fit in your pocket. Still I would suggest that BlackBerry urgently needs two new Z phones ASAP.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 10-30-14 at 05:51 PM.
    10-30-14 04:21 PM
    Who's to say that the Classic won't have the same issue? Both my 9630 and 9930 had the same double type issues, so it isn't as if this is a new thing for BlackBerry's quality control people. I only had to replace each of those once, while I'm on my fourth Q10, but I shouldn't have needed to replace any of them in my opinion.
    I thought I read Kevin saying that BlackBerry saying that the Classic would not have the Q10 systemic double typing issue. I think too that BlackBerry over produced the Z10 and the Q10 so that once the problems arose it was too late to fix them before building up a substantial inventory of potentially defective units.
    10-30-14 04:35 PM
    That's interesting. I never had any problems with double typing on any of my BlackBerry devices except for the Q10. My 9930 did have a key that eventually died altogether, but it never double typed.

I thought wide spread double typing was something new with the Q10. I had my Q10 replaced for it once and while at the store getting it replaced, I noticed that even the display unit was double typing. I wasn't at all surprised when my replacement developed the problem as well.

CrackBerry ran a poll and 69% of Q10 owners reported having the double typing problem. So if the 9930 and 9650 did do it also, it must not have been in the numbers that the Q10 did.
    10-30-14 04:45 PM
    As far as I know the double typing issue was unique to the Q10. The legacy devices had issues too but mainly well after the warranty period. I read one post that put the blame on the membrane under the keys not liking exposure to heat.
    10-30-14 05:56 PM
    My Dream Phone, imagine:

Z10's screen size
    Q10's physical qwerty (4 rows)
    Passport's innovative touch-keyboard

and slimmer phone

All in one please :-)

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 06:19 PM
    Didn't Chen just say this a couple days ago? He wants the legacy device users to get on board the classic. It brings all the functions they're looking for. The only issue I see happening is the shortcuts. Hopefully they've fixed that.

Other than that I don't see the classic doing very well either but let's hope it does. No one really thinks of blackberry. They think of themselves. If blackberry doesn't do well, if we don't give them money, we won't have blackberrys in the future. We'll all be stick with slabs of glass and I would absolutely hate that.

They've fixed the shortcuts in 10.3.1 as far as I know.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 06:47 PM
    Agree with Rohetaku...q10 was what almost put blackberry under..

Mine was collecting dust the moment i got it..huge let down from my bold 9900... anyway... its past...

Classic is awesome and the true followup to the bold 9900 for those looking for that..its an awesome phone with an amazing os 10.3.1.

It will do extremely well... which sadly, the q10 did not.

From my world class Passport

Posted via CB10
    What is your definition of "extremely well"? I'm not sure I could guess a number but it sure won't be a large seller.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    10-31-14 04:03 PM
    I highly doubt that the "massive" sales will happen.

The keyboard, if not implemented in something like the Passport, is very probably completely dead and I am sure that most CB members and BlackBerry themselves, vastly overstate the importance of the Classic.

In the Enterprise sector, the Passport and the LTE Z3 will be far better choices overall and the consumer doesn't care about the physical keyboard anyhow.

Having any hope, that the Classic will generate huge sales, is a mistake imho.
    The keyboard is basically dead and 400k Passport sales won't change that.

Also, all those guys who think that the "legacy holdouts" (apart from BelfastD ofc) are actually a real phenomenon on the market, are very probably also wrong as well.
    There are no Legacy/trackpad holdouts, there are BES5 holdouts.

There are still so many 9900 around, because the old BES infrastructure is still so widely adopted.
    So when the Classic comes...
    What's the monetary incentive to switch away from the 9900 and BES5 to the Classic and BES12?
    Well, there is none.

In terms of specs I totally agree with OP. Not much of an improvement on the Q10. I do, however, think that adding the tool belt was a good idea.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    Yeah, it very probably doesn't hurt at least.
    But if the Classic costs 400$ with those specs (as it's rumoured), BlackBerry DOA'ed the device because of the price.

Everything that is over 300$, would be a ridiculous price for such a device (keyboard) with those specs (subpar).

Posted via CB10
    10-31-14 04:15 PM
    I do not think that the enterprise phone purchases are very price sensitive (UK excepted). If the enterprise unit is all BlackBerry their employees will usually have a choice between models. Currently my son in law says that his large Canadian corp is offering a Z30 as a replacement for his 9900. He wants to go all touch.

If I had a business phone, I would seriously consider the Classic, just for the phone buttons and keyboard. Many current BlackBerry business users have never used any other type of phone. They may want to keep on using the physical keyboard. I see business 9900 replacements as 60% all touch vs 40% for the Classic.

I do not see sales as massive either, maybe 2 million per year for the next three years. BlackBerry badly needs a phone with a 4.7 inch screen that can compete with the Galaxy / iPhone 6 .
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 11-01-14 at 02:08 PM.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    11-01-14 01:45 PM
    The Classic certainly does not stand out from the Q10 spec wise. It is what it is and that is a device to bring the Bold crowd into the new OS and retain those enterprise customers who didn?t warm up to the new BlackBerry devices offering the last two years. It will have some spinoff success with consumers for sure, but Chen has made it clear he is targeting a specific market with the Classic. IMHO, if it takes off as it is thought, then kudos to BlackBerry as it moves forward.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-14 02:25 PM
    The Classic may not differ much from the Q10 when it comes to internal specs, but to me the toolbelt makes all the difference. As soon as it's available locally I am switching to the Classic from my Q10.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 12:47 AM
    While the Classic has indeed a lower theoretical ppi, it sports a traditional LCD display compared to the pentile-matrix SuperAMOLED display of the Q10. Those pentile screens always have a lower efficient ppi due to their subpixel layout, they have less subpixels compared to a classic RGB layout with the same resolution. I am rather sure most people won't even be able to tell the difference when they see both screens in action. OF course I agree, for pure number based marketing, a higher ppi is always better.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for pointing out the display parity so I don't have to. I would have got the Q10 but the screen was too horrible. Other than the screen, it's a great phone.

Thanks again for this great post!

Carbon Fiber Z10 w/Leather Holster
    11-02-14 12:54 AM
    I agree, but largely not because of the "the specs aren't good enough" argument, but because a lot of companies are moving to a BYOD policy. Just cheaper, and your employees still stay connected via email through Exchange ActiveSync.
    I hope it didn't sound like specs are a major part of my train of thought.
    I rather used them to say that the Classic will be overpriced.

Business users usually aren't that concerned with specs, so not having the best specs definitely shouldn't be an issue on and by itself.
    But bad specs and a high price do usually make a device less likely to be bought, even in the business sector.
    (I hate car analogies myself, therefore don't take it for one please: those corporate BMWs don't cost 40k and come with 120 HP while not having the leather extras.)

Now what you say is definitely true.
    BYOD has cost BlackBerry a fortune and will continue to do so.
    2 integral parts of that are the choice to focus on the keyboard, which is a negative differentiator for people who chose their own devices, and the fact that BlackBerry doesn't even try anymore to truly appeal to consumers (who will then bring their personal BlackBerry into the enterprise).

Posted via CB10
    11-02-14 01:16 AM
91 1234