People are saying that the classic is going to be the best selling phone upcoming with BlackBerry, like it's bread and butter. It may very well be but this is more of a PR thing and has nothing to do with it being a better phone or that it sports a belt.

The Q10 and the classic have essentially the same specs except one has a belt. The classic may have a larger display but with the same resolution pushing the ppi below the 300 mark. 300ppi may be somewhat of an arbitrary boundary marker defined by apple but like it or not it is the bar we measure by and if it's lower people don't like it.

What the real difference is when the Q10 was released and when the classic will be released BlackBerry has changed a lot. With the Q10 it was a too little too late... and then delayed then really too late. But now bb10 has matured and refined a lot more. BlackBerry is also no longer looked upon as a dying company but instead it is regaining it's ground on innovation and business. They are the same phone essentially and both will run 10.3.1 but the classic is essentially the phone launched under the now promising direction of BlackBerry rather than the dying one it was when the Q10 was released. And this is what will make the phone sell better.

It's too bad for the Q10 because it is a solid phone but because of when they were launch the Z10/Q10 era of phones were always doomed to relative failure until the company could get back on their feet. The classic is a rebranded Q10 with a belt thrown on but no one will ever admit it is the Q10's successor nor will there ever be a successor because the Q10 is associated with the old company that couldn't make it. Now the classic is the new company full of promise and innovation.

Of course it is all a PR thing and none if it really makes these phones better than the other but how we view something can be most of the battle and business users are no less ignorant or vain. I for one love my Q10 and will not be changing. Remember the Seinfeld episode with the beltless raincoat called the executive and somehow the missing belt made it better. well that's the Q10 to me, a beltless classic.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 01:16 AM
    People are saying that the classic is going to be the best selling phone upcoming with BlackBerry, like it's bread and butter. It may very well be but this is more of a PR thing and has nothing to do with it being a better phone or that it sports a belt.

The Q10 and the classic have essentially the same specs except one has a belt. The classic may have a larger display but with the same resolution pushing the ppi below the 300 mark. 300ppi may be somewhat of an arbitrary boundary marker defined by apple but like it or not it is the bar we measure by and if it's lower people don't like it.

What the real difference is when the Q10 was released and when the classic will be released BlackBerry has changed a lot. With the Q10 it was a too little too late... and then delayed then really too late. But now bb10 has matured and refined a lot more. BlackBerry is also no longer looked upon as a dying company but instead it is regaining it's ground on innovation and business. They are the same phone essentially and both will run 10.3.1 but the classic is essentially the phone launched under the now promising direction of BlackBerry rather than the dying one it was when the Q10 was released. And this is what will make the phone sell better.

It's too bad for the Q10 because it is a solid phone but because of when they were launch the Z10/Q10 era of phones were always doomed to relative failure until the company could get back on their feet. The classic is a rebranded Q10 with a belt thrown on but no one will ever admit it is the Q10's successor nor will there ever be a successor because the Q10 is associated with the old company that couldn't make it. Now the classic is the new company full of promise and innovation.

Of course it is all a PR thing and none if it really makes these phones better than the other but how we view something can be most of the battle and business users are no less ignorant or vain. I for one love my Q10 and will not be changing. Remember the Seinfeld episode with the beltless raincoat called the executive and somehow the missing belt made it better. well that's the Q10 to me, a beltless classic.

Posted via CB10
    Sad but true... I want a real Q10 successorr.
    With a removeable battery, no toolbelt, glasswave or other premium materials, even a black bezel. Thats for I bought a brand new Q10

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 01:30 AM
    Sad but true... I want a real Q10 successorr.
    With a removeable battery, no toolbelt, glasswave or other premium materials, even a black bezel. Thats for I bought a brand new Q10

Posted via CB10
    Sorry dude but it doesn't really matter what you want. You're in the minority. The q10 almost killed BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    phylez and rickyrocky like this.
    10-30-14 02:11 AM
    The classic, isn't really better than the Q10, but honestly the classic is the proper interface, or bridge between BlackBerry OS and BlackBerry 10, and that's why I think will sell more as theoretically should help the transition for people still on BBOS.

The most unimportant things you never need to know. Pin:C002F4C05
    mkiiw likes this.
    10-30-14 02:16 AM
    While the Classic has indeed a lower theoretical ppi, it sports a traditional LCD display compared to the pentile-matrix SuperAMOLED display of the Q10. Those pentile screens always have a lower efficient ppi due to their subpixel layout, they have less subpixels compared to a classic RGB layout with the same resolution. I am rather sure most people won't even be able to tell the difference when they see both screens in action. OF course I agree, for pure number based marketing, a higher ppi is always better.

I even don't think the Classic is meant to replace the Q10 and I wouldn't be surprised to see BlackBerry will keep offering the Q for the next couple of months. It is cheaper, lighter and more compact.

However the Classic virtually deals with all the complains the (CrackBerry) users came up with around the release of the Q10 one and a half year ago. They complained about the lack of a trackpad - BlackBerry brought the trackpad back. People wanted to have their toolbelt back, because they had trouble answering and ending calls - BlackBerry brought the toolbelt back. People complained the screen would be a tad too small and the wish for a ~3.5" display raised - BlackBerry installed a 3.5" display.
    Even the keys again got a bit larger to make typing (again) more comfortable, something which shouldn't be taken too lightly: I really enjoy the large keys on my Passport and find it a bit troublesome to go back to the rather cramped keys of the Q10.

It is rather sad to see how everybody around here is actually mocking the Classic as it would be the worst fail ever. Sure the specs could be higher, yet I am sure people would complain even if they would've added the Z30 specs. I still use my Q10 every now and then and I personally can't complain about the performance, everything is as smooth as it ever was, the most major difference would be booting and launching of apps.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 02:53 AM
    We can't be confident the Classic will outsell the Q10 prior to release nor is it likely we will ever know for sure which device sold better even after the Classic's release. BBRY doesn't break down device sales numbers.
    10-30-14 03:12 AM
    To be honest, I am waiting more for a Z30 successor.
    10-30-14 03:20 AM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Agree with Rohetaku...q10 was what almost put blackberry under..

Mine was collecting dust the moment i got it..huge let down from my bold 9900... anyway... its past...

Classic is awesome and the true followup to the bold 9900 for those looking for that..its an awesome phone with an amazing os 10.3.1.

It will do extremely well... which sadly, the q10 did not.

From my world class Passport

Posted via CB10
    rickyrocky likes this.
    10-30-14 03:28 AM
    I even don't think the Classic is meant to replace the Q10 and I wouldn't be surprised to see BlackBerry will keep offering the Q for the next couple of months. It is cheaper, lighter and more compact.
    It's meant to be what the Q10 was supposed to be. It is the unofficial successor to the Q10 that everyone will officially deny. As for the Q10 it will never get a successor. They "fixed" the Q10, rebranded it and are releasing it strategically a couple months after the powerhouse passport to boosts it's exposure kindof like a do-over.

A belt may persuade old bbos clients to upgrade but then again it may not. BES12 supports both legacy and new BlackBerry devices. If someone still carries a legacy BlackBerry device they probably will not switch only if they have too. For the people that left BlackBerry for greener grass, they won't come back because they miss the belt they'll come back because of how BlackBerry has recovered and is back in position to play on the same level. When the Q10 was release that message wasn't clear now it is... or at least it is a whole lot better than it was.

I for one would buy a Q10 successor with a touch keyboard like the passport (except a full 4 rows) and more power like the passport plus an LCD screen so I can actually use it in direct sunlight.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 04:03 AM
    Classic is better. Q10 double types. Enough said.

Posted via CB10
    vague5255, phylez and rickyrocky like this.
    10-30-14 07:13 AM
    Classic - Bigger, less premium construction, non changeable battery..... I will stick with Q10, double typing and all, like the idea of the passport keyboard in a successor - would be cool

Q10 please stop double typing.
    10-30-14 07:22 AM
    I think BlackBerry is wise to distance itself from the Q and Z naming schemes as the phones did not sell very well. No one wants a follow up to a flop! I hope that is one reason for the Classic name. I would expect other new phones to not have the Q or Z name attached even if they are theoretically next generations or iterations. The Z3 did well so perhaps I am wrong about future "Z" phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 07:31 AM
    People are saying that the classic is going to be the best selling phone upcoming with BlackBerry, like it's bread and butter.
    I'm not hearing this.

I still have the impression that the Classic is meant to appeal to those who have been reluctant to move from BBOS to BB10. That represents a small market niche, but there's no reason why BlackBerry shouldn't try to make some money bringing them on board BB10. Beyond that niche, I don't think anyone, inside BlackBerry or certainly outside it, expects it to be a big seller. I certainly don't.

It's hard for me to judge marketing, since there is really no BlackBerry marketing in the US (which makes sense since they're not really sold here anymore), but in those places where there still is BlackBerry marketing I'd expect the marketing for the Classic to be very subdued. I don't think BlackBerry would want to call that much attention to this device, since it really is "retro". There's nothing wrong with that if there are people waiting to buy them, but it doesn't help to change the message of BlackBerry as a company that has failed to keep up.

The Classic will undo some of the positive perception change that the Passport caused. BlackBerry needs to minimize this damage somehow. In my opinion, the best way is to get the Classic out the door as quietly as possible and then announce something innovative as soon as possible.
    10-30-14 07:34 AM
    I loved my Bold 9900 for it's tool belt, looks and LCD display. I love my Q10 of the OS10. Classic is a good marriage of the two of them, with a larger screen. Only thing I am not crazy about is the non removable battery. But I am in no rush to replace my Q10.

Posted via Q10 with 1154
    bbnrs and Lefty724 like this.
    10-30-14 07:39 AM
    I agree that the classic is a Q10 successor - though I think a revision, or a sidestep is a better view. A 1.5 if you will.

I have had three q10's - all double type. The Third had the keyboard replaced - it was a replacement device itself- and it's currently ok... I think the double type issue can occur in anything with a keyboard. Keys get loose. I had it on the 9900. Never on the 9780. It's a mechanical hardware issue. People have already experienced loose keys on the passport (as in the crackberry forums). The classic may have issues - unless the qc is a step above what passport owners are complaining of.

For myself, I'm waiting for a passport from amazon - the first went back as the spacebar wobbled and there was light bleed round the screen. But I'm buying another one and am going to get my hands on a classic also. Still waiting for a proper slider upgrade though

Sent using tapatalk!
    10-30-14 07:41 AM

Mine was collecting dust the moment i got it..huge let down from my bold 9900... anyway... its past...

Classic is awesome and the true followup to the bold 9900 for those looking for that..its an awesome phone with an amazing os 10.3.1.

Posted via CB10
    You really feel like the Q10 was that much of a let down? I'll admit a few things :

No trackpad was hard to get used to and INITIALLY copy and paste sucked. It's much better now

There is no replacement for physical Call and End buttons.

Convenience keys is a HUGE let down for me

That's what bothered me but overall the experience has been really nice. I never had any issues with my Q10. It's one of the best devices I've ever owned. If the 9900 had a better browser and slightly bigger screen, that's what I'd have, but I would never give up my Q10. The Q10 , of course in my opinion, was a great device that didn't receive the attention it deserved.

It could have been prettier too. The all black makes it look too bland and I'm NOT paying $50 for the steel band.

Again, I don't think it was a huge let down but I'd like to hear why you felt so.

Posted via CB Q10 or 9000
    10-30-14 07:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    This is the type of comment everything who love and hate the Q10 need to remember. Everyone who keeps saying the Classic isn't as good as the Q10 are the only people even mentioning the Q10 at all here.

The Classic is here to give me a solid reason to stop carrying my 9900 and Z10 in the same pocket. The tool belt makes the form factor shine in a way I just didn't have when I had the Q10 and I ultimately gave that phone to a friend who didn't care too much about it.

I'll be buying the classic not because I don't care if it's better than a Q10 but because it's better than my 9900.

Posted via CB10
    LuisCast likes this.
    10-30-14 07:51 AM
    I'm not hearing this.

I still have the impression that the Classic is meant to appeal to those who have been reluctant to move from BBOS to BB10. That represents a small market niche, but there's no reason why BlackBerry shouldn't try to make some money bringing them on board BB10.
    Didn't Chen just say this a couple days ago? He wants the legacy device users to get on board the classic. It brings all the functions they're looking for. The only issue I see happening is the shortcuts. Hopefully they've fixed that.

Other than that I don't see the classic doing very well either but let's hope it does. No one really thinks of blackberry. They think of themselves. If blackberry doesn't do well, if we don't give them money, we won't have blackberrys in the future. We'll all be stick with slabs of glass and I would absolutely hate that.

10-30-14 07:52 AM
    If the screens bigger. Then the classic is a better phone to me. Q10 lol
    10-30-14 08:51 AM
    I didn't but the Q10 specifically because there was no tool belt or track pad.

I need to have both.

Posted via CB from my Z10
    10-30-14 08:54 AM
    I didn't buy the Q10 specifically because there was no tool belt or track pad.

Posted via CB from my Z10
    This is exactly why I went with a Z30 instead of the Q. I don't want to gunk up the screen with my oily fingers if I can do everything I need to (except type fast) with one hand without even changing my grip. Yeah, people say that all-touch is supposed to be 'wave of the future,' but a full keyboard with shortcuts is just faster.

Also, 10.3.1's customizable key shortcuts renders convenience keys irrelevant. You will have at least 2-dozen convenience keys. I don't need any more buttons on the side to accidentally press when I pick the phone up.

The Q10 should have been the Classic in the first place, and BBOS users outnumber bb10 users by 2-1 at least. A capacitive-keyboard beltless Q10 with a 4-row keyboard makes more sense in terms of design evolution, but BlackBerry is in the strange position of needing to sell BBOS users on BB10.

The true Q10 successor will probably be a Passport Mini. Traditional keyboard with belt is Classic, this hybrid touch/keyboard interface where you transition back and forth between screen and keys of the Passport is actually more in line with the Q10 design philosophy.

From a Z30
    10-30-14 10:23 AM
    Didn't Chen just say this a couple days ago? He wants the legacy device users to get on board the classic. It brings all the functions they're looking for. The only issue I see happening is the shortcuts. Hopefully they've fixed that.
    I know he said it a few months ago. I missed the more recent statement. I just wanted to correct what the OP was hearing from people. I hope the Classic does well, but in no way do I personally expect it to be any kind of a game-changer for BlackBerry, and in fact I expect them to take some heat for it. And that has already started.
    10-30-14 10:27 AM
    If I had the man jewels to buy both the passport and the Classic I would. I love all the blackberrys, some more than others. I just want my convenience key . When the classic is released though I'll probably buy it and go against everything I said here lol.

10-30-14 10:47 AM
    In terms of specs I totally agree with OP. Not much of an improvement on the Q10. I do, however, think that adding the tool belt was a good idea.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    10-30-14 11:11 AM
    In terms of specs I totally agree with OP. Not much of an improvement on the Q10. I do, however, think that adding the tool belt was a good idea.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    They probably could have easily gave it a better processor etc... but think about it. The processor it has now probably works just as well as upgraded versions would in the classic. The classic most likely doesn't demand a crazy good processor. Putting one in their might be just a waste of money. But idk! I'm just guessing. Don't shoot me!

10-30-14 11:30 AM
91 123 ...