I have knowledge of what each does, but not through knowledge, so if anyone can help clear things up, I would appreciate it.

I understand BES and BIS how they work, my concern is more related to the time a BlackBerry retrieves it's e-mail.

I know that with BES, e-mail is received almost (if not) instantaneous? And with BIS there is a delay, maybe 10-15 min? My question is, for people who have the iPhone that use their e-mail function, they can setup their e-mail but will only check/retrieve e-mail every 15 min. or so for new messages, how does this differ from using BIS? (BES you get messages, immediately so it's not really a factor). I don't care what both phones are capable of, I'm just concerned with how the e-mail is being taking care of. Assuming I got my facts straight, if you have a BlackBerry, how do you argue with someone with an iPhone about how e-mail is handled if both are handled ALMOST the same way?
    04-29-08 01:30 PM
    With the iPhone, email for Yahoo and GMail is instant! I've tested it (I had one, sad, I know!)...

BIS - if you use Hotmail (account created before 2000), Yahoo or GMail, BIS will be INSTANT! Unless their are network issues. If you're on BES, it's also instant...

BUT, if you use a POP3 type account, other than those listed above, you can forward a copy of your email to your carriers Blackberry email address, example: [email protected]. Doing this will cause your emails to show on your Blackberry, instantly...
    04-29-08 02:09 PM
    Again, based strictly on e-mail functions, the iPhone is just about on par with the BlackBerry? (WEIRD, no?) I thought the iPhone periodically checked whatever server your e-mail is setup with every 15 min. to download new messages. I won't really compare with BES since it has it's corporate advantages, but as a consumer, and I'm not saying I would get an iPhone, IMO the iPhone has become even better device than I previously thought if both BIS and how the iPhone retrieves it's e-mail's relatively the same. (That doesn't even sound right, Am I missing something or am I just interpreting it wrong navi?)

I always thought that the main difference when comparing the two (when I got my first BlackBerry) was that e-mail's pushed to the BlackBerry instantaneously (only to find through reading forums here that there is a delay) and for someone to use the e-mail function on an iPhone was that the phone would check servers in 15 min. intervals, had no idea on an iPhone it would be sent instantly.
    Last edited by BlackBerry.est08; 04-29-08 at 03:29 PM.
    04-29-08 03:26 PM
    I don't want to speak for everyone because im not sure which carrier or model of BB you have but...

I'm on sprint with a BIS BB data package with several accounts on it, using mainly a gmail account and sometimes a hotmail account created in 04 i think, and i get my emails instantly. i know it's instant because my best friend and i who cannot have his phone on at work email back and forth all day, several times a week. for example, if i send him an email at 4:20pm, i get a reply by 4:25 unless he's typing a really long message that is. but the point is the time factor for me is not delivery, but simply how fast either one of can type off a reply.

i can't really speak about iPhone email as i don't have one but my BB email works seamlessly.
    04-29-08 03:48 PM
    yeah you guys are right, it is instant. I got caught up/mixed up with my inboxes. I have one that's setup with my school and that has the 5 min delay, but all the other accounts receive right when a message is sent. But to go back to my original post, navi said the iPhone also gets mail instantly, so is there really an argument between a BlackBerry and iPhone in terms of e-mail? (...and the iPhone becomes just a, well a phone in the eyes of a BlackBerry addcit!) (now if I can only fix the delay with my school account (IMAP), anyone have any suggestions?)
    Last edited by BlackBerry.est08; 04-29-08 at 04:13 PM.
    04-29-08 04:05 PM
    I have one POP3 email account, a Yahoo mail account, and GMail. All are received virtually instantaneously (unless I'm on a call). There is no "15 minute" or so delay. I can't speak for iPhone.

Beyond e-mail, there are myriad other reasons why one may prefer BB over iP or vice versa, but that is far beyond the scope of this thread.
    04-29-08 09:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD