News today that Circuit City, unable to locate a buyer will be liquidating and closing the doors of retail stores. Possible bargains in sight?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 03:20 PM
    I hope so! Our store is small so maybe we will be one that shuts down, but we have a bb and staples also so it wouldn't be a big hit to the "technology shopping" options here.

01-16-09 03:27 PM
    That made news like 2 months ago! Not sure if it got discussed here though.

01-16-09 03:29 PM
    The local circuit city store closed a few weeks back. I got a 300 dollar digital camera for 12 bucks.

But that was basically all that was left, all TV's, Cellphones, Computers etc. were sold way before I got news of the liquidation.
    01-16-09 03:32 PM
    Not much of circuit city fan but a deal is a deal.
    01-16-09 03:49 PM
    Not much of circuit city fan but a deal is a deal.
    Perhaps so, but sort of pyrrhic bargain isn't it? because the economy's downward spiral continues.

30,000 Circuit City jobs gone doesn't help much. Plus, a lot of malls are in trouble right now - unable to refinance their debt obligations - and losing a big-box tenant like Circuit City doesn't help matters.
    01-16-09 04:04 PM
    ALL Circuit Cities...? or just some?
    01-16-09 04:07 PM
    Do some searches on liquidation deals. You will be disappointed.
    01-16-09 04:15 PM
    ALL Circuit Cities...? or just some?
    All of them unfortunately. 567 stores all closing.

RIP Circuit City

Circuit City files for bankruptcy, 567 prepare for liquidation sales : Boy Genius Report
    01-16-09 04:39 PM
    my family is in the liquidation business and alot of the time its not such a great deal as you would think... sure some items are drastically reduced but alot of items are still about the same as its competitors...all im saying is def do some research via internet before droping alot of money on the big ticket items... as you may be paying just as much as other places has it advertised and keep in mind that when a company goes out the only warranty you have is manufacturers
    01-16-09 04:51 PM
    That made news like 2 months ago! Not sure if it got discussed here though.

Actually no 2 months ago they filed for chapter 11 which simply stops the creditors from hounding them so they can restructure the business...but allows for busines to take place as usual also they were only shutting down stores that werent producing profits basically the smaller stores...

however they were trying to find someone to buy the company but since they were not able to now they are closing all stores including those that were turning a profit meaning that circuit city ceases to exsist... its a shame too cause i personally always found better deals at circuit VS Best buy...
    01-16-09 04:55 PM
    That sucks! I loved Circuit City. Always had awesome service, always took my coupons and worked with me on TV's and such. Always had what I needed and always friendly with great staff. I hate to see them go. Best Buy will now have NO competition which really sucks ars since I hate Best Buy to begin with. I especially feel aweful for the 30,000 people who are out of work.
    01-16-09 05:00 PM
    darn i just realized now i have to mail my circuit city mastercard payment in every month rather then making the payment at the store ya i know im lazy!
    01-16-09 05:04 PM
    Thanks, REP 4 explaining. the change on that, as I was posting the newest info for all. I hear news all day, and as much as it sucks to lose the jobs, chances to save anything are beneficial to all of us.

01-16-09 05:05 PM
    I especially feel aweful for the 30,000 people who are out of work.

Yea, thats the worst part of it all. This economy sucks.
    01-16-09 05:07 PM
    No problem Berger... The job loss is definetly the worst part of it all... but i am curious as to what VZW is going to do with all of their corporate kiosks that excist in a good amount of circuit city locations i mean what happends to all those employees... and stores?
    01-16-09 05:09 PM
    They closed the one where I live already and only had a few deals mostly on the blank media and stuff like that
    01-16-09 05:29 PM
    It will be interesting to go to work tomorrow that's for damn sure.

Yes, I work there... it was supposed to be a temporary job, been there since September.

Thankfully I have a solid interview on Monday.

It's almost surreal. even going to their website it's all text to update customers and even employees that were blindsided.

I spoke to a few co-workers on Thursday and some really had no idea what was going on. Sad, really.
    01-16-09 05:48 PM
    Yes it really sucks trust I have been laid off previously. Thank goodness I was able to get employed less than a month later. As far as bargains go I have always been able to work out some good deals on open box buys at Circuit City I will miss them.
    01-16-09 05:57 PM
    yeah i had a feeling they would be doomed eventually. they could never compete with best buy and even best buy is having trouble.

and i agree liquidations are not always great deals.... they start off pretty crappy at first and you dont get to return it if you get home and its plain broke which sucks.

towards the end, the cuts are much deeper, but by then all the good stuff is gone by the people who bought it at 10-20% off in the first weeks thinking they were getting a killer deal but paying mroe than amazon lol

this is exactly what happened when compusa went under, which was way more shocking to me. we had no computer stores around here, but once compusa went under microcenter opened and they are packed daily. weird.
    -
    01-16-09 07:30 PM
    I feel bad for the 30,000 employees. Not a good time to be looking for work but I wish them all well. I think it was CNN Money section warned readers to not assume that everything will be a bargain at Circuit City that even some items may be marked up.
    01-16-09 07:34 PM
    yeah I figure they will mark up most items, THEN put a "10% off" so it's the regular price, but looks like a deal... to start
    01-16-09 07:44 PM
    Yea, thats the worst part of it all. This economy sucks.
    This isn't exactly "surprising" news though. I hope everyone involved was already looking elsewhere for quite a while now.
    01-16-09 07:56 PM
    It's sad that all those people are gonna lose their jobs. Hopefully as another person already posted they have been looking. Here is hoping everything turns out okay for all involved.
    01-16-09 08:08 PM
    I think they began to seal their fate years ago. Their customer service has always been rather lacking, which is why I would only buy anything there if something in the weekly ad was a steal. Speaking of their weekly ad, there were many times that there would be something on special for the week and it was not available online nor in ANY store nationwide. When I decided to send an email to their corporate office about it, the guy who called me was borderline rude and read part of an email that I probably wasn't supposed to hear, "he thinks he can do our marketing better than us...". The 'reason' was that their marketing and distribution people didn't coordinate things very well. But what I contacted them about was a laptop that I had been looking at for a while, and when it suddenly goes on sale, it's nowhere to be found. Then two weeks after the sale, guess what was suddenly available in the stores and online again...

In a way, I say good riddance. 30,000 jobs is quite a blow and I hate to see anybody lose their's, but it will happen to any poorly managed company.

Oh, and I need to make sure I get in there to get my add-on satellite receiver removed before they close and my lease is over on my car.
    Last edited by miller7796; 01-16-09 at 09:17 PM.
    01-16-09 09:11 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD