03-09-17 03:33 PM
60 123
tools
    Hi all,
    As today news comes about Weakileaks with CIA malware targets iPhone, Android, smart TVs.
    Details in following link:-
    https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/
    Questions are:-
    1. As BlackBerry claims 'Most secure mobiles', is really true this statement?
    2. In that report there is no name of BlackBerry, then can we hope that BlackBerry in cash this opportunity to gain bigger share in market of mobile?
    3. What Crackberry/ BlackBerry people thinks about whole incident?

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 03:01 PM
    Please join one of the many threads on this subject.
    xandros9 likes this.
    03-07-17 03:14 PM
    Maybe BB could cash in if the general public knew that the company still exists.
    arkenoi, jaydee5799 and FF22 like this.
    03-07-17 03:29 PM
    Also, another "maybe BlackBerry can cash on a controversy" thread? Really?
    03-07-17 03:39 PM
    But BlackBerry is with Android now...

# soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    rt2567 and jaydee5799 like this.
    03-07-17 03:46 PM
    There is not enough information to assess what device can be compromised, or by how much.

They mention Samsung, but what about Samsung Knox? What about BlackBerry Android? What about Blackphone?

Have some, many, or all of these holes been patched since?
    03-07-17 03:54 PM
  7. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Maybe BB could cash in if the general public knew that the company still exists.
    Ouch... especially after they stated they were no longer making phones....

More work is needed....

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 05:17 PM
    Please join one of the many threads on this subject.
    Where? On the Globe and Mail? On BBC? I see nothing here.
    Both mention tens of zero day android vulnerabilities which supposedly BlackBerry and Google have not fixed...

Posted via CB10
    03-07-17 08:31 PM
    Where? On the Globe and Mail? On BBC? I see nothing here.
    Both mention tens of zero day android vulnerabilities which supposedly BlackBerry and Google have not fixed...

Posted via CB10
    This was the 5th thread on the subject.

There was also no definitive info as to what patches have since been made, and certainly no mention of Knox, BlackBerry Android or Blackphone.
    03-07-17 08:55 PM
    Blackberry legacy devices were probably the most secure phone but less so on BB10 and much less so on android. I can't imagine anyone would mention targeting BlackBerry phones because primarily, they statistically have 0% of the market share and secondly, it would actually make mention of the name BlackBerry!
    03-07-17 09:03 PM
    Maybe we are safe because the CIA doesn't know we exist!! LOL

BB 9000> Q10 > Z10 > Z30 > Z30 > Classic > Dtek50
    03-07-17 09:47 PM
    Maybe we are safe because the CIA doesn't know we exist!! LOL

BB 9000> Q10 > Z10 > Z30 > Z30 > Classic > Dtek50
    Or, to quote from CBC's the National tonight, they make it look like the Russians did it ;-)
    It's interesting to watch this love quadrangle between Trump, Russia, US Security agencies and Wikileaks...where IoS, Android, Windows, Samsung and even Linux and the app developers come out as collateral damage...
    At some point all this surveillance and datamining lovefest will hit the fan really hard.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39203724

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by sorinv; 03-08-17 at 07:43 AM.
    03-07-17 09:59 PM
    I doubt an off the shelf Blackberry can withstand an agency with the resources of the CIA / NSA if they want to snoop on you bad enough.

But I think Blackberry isn't mentioned because it's to small to matter anymore. BB10 is done and they're really just an android phone maker now anyway.

Also I bet 95% of smartphone buyer either don't care or are to dumb to realize that the CIA is snooping phones.

I'm in the don't care category myself.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-07-17 11:19 PM
    I doubt an off the shelf Blackberry can withstand an agency with the resources of the CIA / NSA if they want to snoop on you bad enough.

But I think Blackberry isn't mentioned because it's to small to matter anymore. BB10 is done and they're really just an android phone maker now anyway.

Also I bet 95% of smartphone buyer either don't care or are to dumb to realize that the CIA is snooping phones.

I'm in the don't care category myself.
    Agreed most people don't care including myself
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    03-07-17 11:22 PM
    Apple says it's already patched 'many' iOS vulnerabilities identified in WikiLeaks' CIA dump
    http://a.mynews.ly/!DcD.FR_qf
    03-08-17 02:19 AM
    Apple says it's already patched 'many' iOS vulnerabilities identified in WikiLeaks' CIA dump
    http://a.mynews.ly/!DcD.FR_qf
    These vulnerabilities aren't exactly fresh in some cases. I think the absolute earliest documents are from 2013.
    03-08-17 02:48 AM
    These vulnerabilities aren't exactly fresh in some cases. I think the absolute earliest documents are from 2013.
    Exactly, they are pretty well known and really it is nothing new.

But I wonder if people are fully aware of their Smart TV's involved in this......

WikiLeaks: CIA can use Smart TVs to spy on owners
    http://a.mynews.ly/!DcD.FSDiS
    03-08-17 02:52 AM
    And here is the perfect gift for everyone's girlfriend

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...age-recordings
    03-08-17 02:54 AM
    And here is the perfect gift for everyone's girlfriend

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/a...age-recordings
    It's a dumb idea made even dumber by whichever dumb person decided an unprotected password database was a good idea. That people are dumb ("Think of how dumb the average person is, and remember half of them are dumber than that!" - George Carlin) is a boon to hackers of all colour hats, since dumb security practises both on the part of IT (the aforementioned database) and the user (passwords so weak that storing the hash is merely a formality) make their jobs that much easier, be it raising hell with the amount of holes found when testing, or selling credentials to Uzbek gangsters on the dark web.
    anon(9721108) likes this.
    03-08-17 03:00 AM
    Agreed most people don't care including myself
    But do you care if your elected officials get snooped upon?

Posted via CB10
    03-08-17 06:43 AM
    But do you care if your elected officials get snooped upon?

Posted via CB10
    Why would he? He and his elected official or president have nothing to hide ;-). Besides, they can't be spied upon because they use secure phones and networks whose information never get hacked or dumped onto wikileaks...

Posted via CB10
    03-08-17 07:37 AM
    There is not enough information to assess what device can be compromised, or by how much.

They mention Samsung, but what about Samsung Knox? What about BlackBerry Android? What about Blackphone?

Have some, many, or all of these holes been patched since?
    Ahh another thing for people to carp about. Let's be realistic, you want free you take the risk. As someone who has top clearance from my Navy days. I can tell you none or most of the security holes have never been patched. These are deep in the OS and few if any could ever get to them, most are put in the OS on purpose. So rest easy, you big fear should be the next time you are on line buying something while using free wifi. Or using that "great free" app.
    03-08-17 08:02 AM
    Why would he? He and his elected official or president have nothing to hide ;-). Besides, they can't be spied upon because they use secure phones and networks whose information never get hacked or dumped onto wikileaks...

Posted via CB10
    Why anyone would send critical info or state secrets over the Internet via a mobile device is beyond me. There are way too many potential failure points.
    03-08-17 08:03 AM
    Why anyone would send critical info or state secrets over the Internet via a mobile device is beyond me. There are way too many potential failure points.
    It's crazy the lengths that are gone through to provide a secure hard wired network within a government building that is capable of handling information that is deemed top secret. Special rooms built with Faraday Cages, special secured raceways that are tamper resistant, special cables that are monitored, and dedicated PCs that are only connected to internal networks... Then to find out some agency "leader" has it on their mobile device... People are the weak link (usually ones that believe themselves entitled in some way).
    Troy Tiscareno and DrBoomBotz like this.
    03-08-17 08:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    Funny, but Wikileaks is not a concern to our sovreignty. Citizen oversight is not a danger.

I'm referring the the possibility that elected officials could be compromised by embarrassing or illegal material and controlled by intelligence agencies rather than serving the people. Is everyone okay with that?

Posted via CB10
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    03-08-17 09:17 AM
60 123