Google Testing Chrome OS Release Candidates. Official Release 1 Month Away?

This could have very large implications in the tablet market. One of the criticisms about the Android tablets coming to market soon is that they don't have native apps, they're the same apps as on the phones, just running on a much larger screen. Chrome OS was originally designed to be a lightweight OS built to run on things like netbooks and tablets, to take advantage of cloud storage. Like Android, it will also be open source. It looks like it's in RC now, and almost ready for release. I personally use Chrome as my default browser. I find it much easier and faster than any of its competitors. If a Chrome tablet is available in the near future, it could be a very nice alternative to iOS, Android, or whatever is going to be on PlayBook.
    10-12-10 12:13 PM
    Google Chrome will be nothing more than Google Infused variant of Linux.... watch....
    10-12-10 12:33 PM
    Agreed mj. I haven't seen anything from Chrome OS that impresses me at all. I view it as another flavor of Linux that's trying to make it into the consumer market... which won't happen anytime soon.
    10-12-10 01:16 PM
    I used chrome OS.

Lack of features was kinda...

But it was a beta build so..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-12-10 01:21 PM
    Chrome OS has a potential to be even more of a failure than Google Wave, as far as I can see. I can't even fathom how it will be a success. But I'll still keep looking out for it.
    10-12-10 01:27 PM
    Nothing will change.

If you are into playing the best games, you will build your own PC and run Windows XP & 7.
    If you just want a computer that you won't have to 'worry' about or if you create movies, music or graphics, you will get a Mac with OSX.
    If you are a geek, you will run Linux.
    If you buy a netbook in 2011, it might come with Chrome OS but your friend who knows better will wipe it and put Windows 7 on it, LOL.
    10-12-10 01:55 PM
    Steve, how many people opted for the Linux loaded Dell Netbooks they were selling? Not many if any I'm betting.

One of the big reasons why people don't buy a Mac now is because they can't run the programs that those people want to run. No one will buy a platform that doesn't run what they have and want to run on it. This will be the same issue with Chrome.

What's needed is a Realtime Multi-VM capable OS that can detect/install/run ANY software built for ANY platform without any delay in opperation. Only when this type of OS is designed and becomes available will you see people not care about what systems they buy.
    10-12-10 02:22 PM
    Steve, how many people opted for the Linux loaded Dell Netbooks they were selling? Not many if any I'm betting.

One of the big reasons why people don't buy a Mac now is because they can't run the programs that those people want to run. No one will buy a platform that doesn't run what they have and want to run on it. This will be the same issue with Chrome.

What's needed is a Realtime Multi-VM capable OS that can detect/install/run ANY software built for ANY platform without any delay in opperation. Only when this type of OS is designed and becomes available will you see people not care about what systems they buy.
    I like that. This should also be done for phones, like running iOS apps on a BB.
    10-12-10 02:33 PM

One of the big reasons why people don't buy a Mac now is because they can't run the programs that those people want to run.
    Hasn't been this way for a while since Bootcamp. You can run a separate partition with Windows. They even have drivers for the touchpad and everything. It's one of the reasons Macs have been selling better than ever before. I think now, the biggest factor in people not buying a Mac is price.
    10-12-10 02:33 PM
    As long as Chrome OS runs clean and fast, I'll be interested in it. I didn't use my iPad, at least when I had it, the same way I used my laptop or desktop. It suited a different purpose and I didn't really need much software on it. Although nowadays, there are tons of native iPad apps out. If Chrome OS is indeed a Linux variant, the wait for Linux apps to port over will probably be very short.
    10-12-10 02:36 PM
    Hasn't been this way for a while since Bootcamp. You can run a separate partition with Windows. They even have drivers for the touchpad and everything. It's one of the reasons Macs have been selling better than ever before. I think now, the biggest factor in people not buying a Mac is price.
    I don't agree with that. I looked very closely into buying a Macbook and in the end I decided against it. Price on the system I was looking at was comperable to what I was specing out for a Windows based laptop. In the end, I chose to go the PC route because even with Bootcamp there are issues with compatibility with all the hardware the Macbook has and not all of it would work as flawless as Apple would let you believe. Also, for me, I'd be running Windows 7 almost full time on the hardware, so I saw no speed benefit running it on the Macbook hardware compared to what I have now. Since I'd also be exclusively in Windows mode, I also saw almost a needless point in having to go the Macbook route aside from pure aestetics. In the end, I chose a laptop that has very close aestetics and features to the Macbook I was looking at and even spent less on it (although, price was not a primary concern, just happened to fall that way in the end, so it was a welcome plus).

What I don't like about Apple is that they won't unshackle the EFI on their hardware to just work with the new Windows OSs, which are capable of native booting on EFI based systems just as well as they are on BIOS based systems.
    10-12-10 10:07 PM
    I don't agree with that. I looked very closely into buying a Macbook and in the end I decided against it. Price on the system I was looking at was comperable to what I was specing out for a Windows based laptop. In the end, I chose to go the PC route because even with Bootcamp there are issues with compatibility with all the hardware the Macbook has and not all of it would work as flawless as Apple would let you believe. Also, for me, I'd be running Windows 7 almost full time on the hardware, so I saw no speed benefit running it on the Macbook hardware compared to what I have now. Since I'd also be exclusively in Windows mode, I also saw almost a needless point in having to go the Macbook route aside from pure aestetics. In the end, I chose a laptop that has very close aestetics and features to the Macbook I was looking at and even spent less on it (although, price was not a primary concern, just happened to fall that way in the end, so it was a welcome plus).

What I don't like about Apple is that they won't unshackle the EFI on their hardware to just work with the new Windows OSs, which are capable of native booting on EFI based systems just as well as they are on BIOS based systems.
    Amen. My thoughts exactly!

I just purchased an HP DM4T and am very happy with it. It looks like a MBP in a way....that's not what you got is it?
    10-12-10 10:34 PM
    Amen. My thoughts exactly!

I just purchased an HP DM4T and am very happy with it. It looks like a MBP in a way....that's not what you got is it?
    No, it wasn't out when I was looking for something and I also wanted something a bit smaller and slimmer. I also don't like tray-loading CD drives, so that would have been a turnoff.
    10-12-10 10:52 PM
    No, it wasn't out when I was looking for something and I also wanted something a bit smaller and slimmer. I also don't like tray-loading CD drives, so that would have been a turnoff.
    I see haha.

All I can say is when it comes to Windows based notebooks or any notebook in general you can't go wrong with the Sony Vaio Z. It has EVERYTHING. But it's pricey. One day I'll have that carbon fiber goodness....
    10-13-10 12:44 AM
    Nothing will change.

If you are into playing the best games, you will build your own PC and run Windows XP & 7.
    If you just want a computer that you won't have to 'worry' about or if you create movies, music or graphics, you will get a Mac with OSX.
    If you are a geek, you will run Linux.
    If you buy a netbook in 2011, it might come with Chrome OS but your friend who knows better will wipe it and put Windows 7 on it, LOL.
    Hahahaaa. But your friend knows better. :P

Awesome post.

10-13-10 05:54 AM
    Nothing will change.

If you just want a computer that you won't have to 'worry' about
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you don't have to worry about a Mac OS computer I have to wonder, as a self employed IT person, what all the calls I get from Mac users are asking for help are about? I'm asking honestly since I tell them I don't work on Macs. If they don't have to worry why do I get 8 or 10 calls a month asking for help?
    10-13-10 05:05 PM
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you don't have to worry about a Mac OS computer I have to wonder, as a self employed IT person, what all the calls I get from Mac users asking for help are about? I'm asking honestly since I tell them I don't work on Macs. If they don't have to worry why do I get 8 or 10 calls a month asking for help?
    You don't know? How does someone ask you a question without telling you what it is?

And it could be a few things. Banks with websites optimized for Internet Explorer 4, devices with no Mac drivers (not as common, but still there's a few), ActiveX, Games (thanks to Microsoft successfully convincing devs that OPenGL is inferior to DirectX), Quicken and Office having their Mac-friendly purchase as different purchase on the back shelf, Windows Media Formats, etc.
    10-13-10 08:21 PM
    I see haha.

All I can say is when it comes to Windows based notebooks or any notebook in general you can't go wrong with the Sony Vaio Z. It has EVERYTHING. But it's pricey. One day I'll have that carbon fiber goodness....
    Now we're a bit off topic, but Sony has THE WORSE warranty program EVER for any PC manufacturer. I will never own another Sony or suggest their PC based products to anyone I know. Stereo and TV good, PC bad. lol
    10-13-10 08:36 PM
    Now we're a bit off topic, but Sony has THE WORSE warranty program EVER for any PC manufacturer. I will never own another Sony or suggest their PC based products to anyone I know. Stereo and TV good, PC bad. lol
    Sony is the PC equivalent of the apple world. Why in god's name would you pay $800, 900 or $1200 for a NETBOOK!!??!!? I have also tested ubuntu via USB stick on most of their hardware, it side-scrolls non-stop, so you REALLY DON'T have any freedom. Cost outweighs quality, quality is sh!t.

10-13-10 09:23 PM
    No thank you to chrome OS, i would rather stick to my trusty failsafe Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10.

10-13-10 09:25 PM
    I don't disagree with that but the Vaio Z is definitely one of the best laptops I've ever set my hands on. It has everything. Very pricey though. Extremely slim, powerful, durable, great high res gloss/matte screen, etc. I haven't seen anything else touch it.

But yeah we might be going off topic a bit haha.
    10-13-10 09:31 PM
    Sony is the PC equivalent of the apple world. Why in god's name would you pay $800, 900 or $1200 for a NETBOOK!!??!!? I have also tested ubuntu via USB stick on most of their hardware, it side-scrolls non-stop, so you REALLY DON'T have any freedom. Cost outweighs quality, quality is sh!t.

Again with the quality thing that's not true. The same Vaio Z I'm talking about has an amazing build quality. It's made of carbon fiber which gives it that light weight and strong chassis. It will be hard to find another laptop with the same screen resolution and power packed in sucha small package. Most of the other laptops you look at will be made of plastic. Fortunately, some of the newer ones are aluminum including my new HP

I'm saying this and I've never owned a Sony laptop. Only HP, Acer, Asus, Toshiba, and Samsung.
    Last edited by UrbanGlowCam; 10-13-10 at 09:37 PM.
    10-13-10 09:34 PM
    Someone said if you are a geek you would use Linux. Not! If you are a geek, you will use FreeBSD. The power to serve.

10-14-10 07:23 AM
    No thank you to chrome OS, i would rather stick to my trusty failsafe Ubuntu 10.04 and 10.10.

Yea, i just loaded 10.10 on my netbook... super smooth OS... loving it....
    10-14-10 08:10 AM
    I don't disagree with that but the Vaio Z is definitely one of the best laptops I've ever set my hands on. It has everything. Very pricey though. Extremely slim, powerful, durable, great high res gloss/matte screen, etc. I haven't seen anything else touch it.

But yeah we might be going off topic a bit haha.
    and you have the rights to your opinion, i and i respect that. But it's windows i have a problem with. They haven't created a good OS is sometime, they are starting to gain some respect back with me. But if it wasn't for Windows 7 Enterprise edition i wouldn't like them @ all.

just remember you can put a pig in a prom dress and it's still just a Hog.
    10-14-10 08:12 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD