I am not sure what is the objective here but by making statements like this he is for sure going to make enterprise customers not commit to BB10....who in thier right mind will want to make investments where there is a 50% chance of survival...or "It will be a big deal if we save BlackBerry "...
    Can someone explain me what is he trying to do here??????

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    03-05-14 02:21 PM
    He is acknowledging the truth. I personally find it quite refreshing, as BlackBerry has NEVER had a CEO willing to do that.
    03-05-14 02:30 PM
    What's benifit of doing that in public in front of your prospective customers and competition???

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 02:31 PM
    Better than lying imo.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 02:39 PM
    It seems to work.... when showing off your success and admitting that you have a long way ahead to succeed, it makes you seem more trustworthy. Admitting your weakness and showing your strengths is helping to relinquish the voices in the head, telling you that you should choose differently.

The bold statements made in the past just increased the bad image painted by the media.

Under promise and over deliver....

I rather know I am getting something great for at least a year then something nice for longer. Especially when I know that my decision makes a difference.

We are big fans here and we have stuck with BlackBerry through all the bad decisions and can hopefully proudly say in a few years that we were the ones who helped them getting back to greatness!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 02:45 PM
    Where did he say that?

Don't just post a headline, show where he actually said it.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 02:47 PM
    There is another thread on the topic but here is what the OP is talking about. http://n4bb.com/chen-says-blackberry...ess-50-chance/

Take what you want from it but is your glass half empty or half full? I'll go the half full option

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    03-05-14 02:57 PM
    I'll take it. He's realistic. He knows nothing is guaranteed

It's better than a CEO telling people that their device is selling better than any of their previous ones only to end up writing most of that inventory down. Last thing BlackBerry needs is delusional CEO that's making baseless statements to its customers and investors.

I like Chen so far but his make or break to me will be on how exciting these next batch of devices are. I'm hoping he's not hyping up a product like Thor did just to have it barely being much different than one of their already existing products

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Rello; 03-05-14 at 05:11 PM.
    JeepBB and Poirots Progeny like this.
    03-05-14 03:05 PM
    It seems to work.... when showing off your success and admitting that you have a long way ahead to succeed, it makes you seem more trustworthy. Admitting your weakness and showing your strengths is helping to relinquish the voices in the head, telling you that you should choose differently.

The bold statements made in the past just increased the bad image painted by the media.

I rather know I am getting something great for at least a year then something nice for longer. Especially when I know that my decision makes a difference.

We are big fans here and we have stuck with BlackBerry through all the bad decisions and can hopefully proudly say in a few years that we were the ones who helped them getting back to greatness!

Posted via CB10
    Agreed.
    It's likely the first step towards accountability, something that has long been absent from BlackBerry corporate culture.
    03-05-14 03:31 PM
    I'll take it. He's realistic. He knows nothing is guaranteed

It's better than a CEO telling people that their device is selling better than any of their previous ones only to end up writing most of that inventory down. Last thing BlackBerry needs is delusional CEO that's making baseless statements to its customers and investors.

I like Chen so far but his make or break to me will be on how exciting these next batch of devices are. I'm hoping he's not having us a product like Thor did just to have it barely being much different than one of their already existing products

Posted via CB10
    Hopefully you mean z10 vs z30 Cuz idk if any of those Bbos devices are similar to bb10

Posted via CB10
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    03-05-14 04:07 PM
    There is another thread on the topic but here is what the OP is talking about. http://n4bb.com/chen-says-blackberry...ess-50-chance/

Take what you want from it but is your glass half empty or half full? I'll go the half full option

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    That's the thing. I'm pretty sure I watched that interview and he never said anything about 50/50 chance?

Just the headline did.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 04:49 PM
    Hopefully you mean z10 vs z30 Cuz idk if any of those Bbos devices are similar to bb10

Posted via CB10
    lol yes I do mean those 2 devices. I would love to have a Z30 but I don't think its a huge difference from the Z10. I hope when Chen says its gonna wow poeple, I hope it really does.
    03-05-14 05:15 PM
    I thought this ad on the N4BB article this thread is about for a tool to help migrate away from BES to Good Technology's MDM placed right under a photo of Chen saying he has a 50% chance of turning BlackBerry around was a little distasteful for a BlackBerry website.

Maybe it's just targeted at me as a BES Admin and my browsing habits lol.

Chen's statements like 50% chance are going to make customers nervous-img_20140305_232901.png

Posted via CB10 on Z30 STA100-2 /10.2.1.2141 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    03-05-14 05:34 PM
    lol yes I do mean those 2 devices. I would love to have a Z30 but I don't think its a huge difference from the Z10. I hope when Chen says its gonna wow poeple, I hope it really does.
    Same here. Honestly if you have the z10, and you don't have money to blow, there's no "cause" to switch to the z30. The battery problem can be solved with extra batteries and frankly the other excuse would be the speakers which Idc for.

The z10 has some hardware limitations in terms of wifi capabilites tho but still nothing to make people switch. Funny enough I like the size of the z10, although when watching sports I wouldn't mind the bigger screen.

Posted via CB10
    Rello likes this.
    03-05-14 06:44 PM
    LoL.
    Customer Nervous is the new Customer Service!
    bbq10l likes this.
    03-05-14 07:00 PM
    Better than lying imo.

Posted via CB10
    While I don't think he should lie, I don't know that this was something he necessarily needed to say. Really, what does 50/50 mean? How can he even say they have an even chance? It's not quantifiable, really. I personally think he could have acknowledged they are in tough but have addressed troubled areas and that he can't be more specific. Not weaselly but honest.
    bbq10l likes this.
    03-05-14 07:16 PM
    If Thor was hyping up, Chen is surely hyping down...either of which is not good for the business.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 07:44 PM
    Well, I'd rather have a 50% chance of something than a 0% chance. Glass is half full as they say.

For a company that's been on the verge of being sold off or broken up, a 50% chance to recover as a whole company sounds pretty good to me.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 08:42 PM
    If Thor was hyping up, Chen is surely hyping down...either of which is not good for the business.

Posted via CB10
    I mean, why look at it like that though. They way I see it, I would rather have the CEO be as transparent as possible. Don't sugar coat anything. BlackBerry is in rough shape...no way he could come out and say he knows they'll be fine. I think Chen has been doing a good job so far but his test for me will be if he finally is the CEO who can deliver to market a competitive product...and I mean that as in price, specs, and features

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 08:50 PM

Posted via CB10
    I'm with sideways-avatar guy. Under-promise and over-deliver is the way to go.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-05-14 10:20 PM
    OK, here is something strange. When I viewed this original video interview before all this 50/50 chance of survival talk hit the press today, it was not worded as such. The interviewer asked Mr.Chen, "What are the chances of becoming MORE than a niche player?" To be clear: Mr Chen was NOT saying that BlackBerry had only a 50/50 percent chance of survival, but rather it had a 50/50 chance of becoming more than a niche player.
    Now the strange part, when I viewed the video interview today, they took that line out and changed the wording. His answer does not include anything about 50/50 like it did yesterday? Here is the video.....its right at the end.

http://video.ft.com/3291969030001/Ch...rtunes/latest?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by xBURK; 03-05-14 at 11:18 PM.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    03-05-14 11:00 PM
    The other thing to keep in mind is that Chen is not only talking to the public, but also to BlackBerry's own employees. It has been a roller coaster ride for them, and they are also far too familiar with what was likely incompetence from management and a whole slew of dubious decisions.

I think that hearing frank assessments from the guy at the top could go a long way to building some trust from the bottom up.

Posted via CB10
    xBURK and spyeagle like this.
    03-05-14 11:26 PM
    Yes it seems they took out that line. But never the less it was a good interview to watch.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 11:33 PM
    I think it is smart because it takes the bad press away from the media. If they are going to run with it now the number is 50/50 and most of the nay sayers havnt been that optimistic. So their pessimism ball has effectively been removed.

Posted via CB10
    xBURK and Warlack like this.
    03-05-14 11:37 PM
    The other thing to keep in mind is that Chen is not only talking to the public, but also to BlackBerry's own employees. It has been a roller coaster ride for them, and they are also far too familiar with what was likely incompetence from management and a whole slew of dubious decisions.

I think that hearing frank assessments from the guy at the top could go a long way to building some trust from the bottom up.

Posted via CB10
    You are absolutely right!

Posted via CB10
    03-05-14 11:44 PM
48 12