?Before you ask again, we are also no plans for production of laptops and tablets. Tablets may be used if it is [of interest], but now is not,? Chen added.�?We now focus on consumer devices and enterprise servers. Moreover, it is not our plan at this time,? he concluded.
    It seems like the focus is changing monthly at BlackBerry, or every time Chen speaks. The focus was stated as being going back to corporate for devices and BES12 as they are the only company with a complete solution. Now we have other MDM support and these statements above about focusing on consumer.

Part of me is glad that they finally seem to be getting more nimble, but part of me is concerned because they don't seem to be giving out a stable message, or giving the things that they state enough time or effort to make them successful before moving on.

The comments about tablets are very weird, especially when taken with comments earlier in his tenure. How much interest is enough? Does it have to be consumer interest or corporate interest, or both?

So is all of this just poor communications from Chen to the public, a rapidly changing policy, desperation and just trying to find something that sticks, diversion to keep investors and the media off his back? Is he just saying what needs to be said that day without fully thinking about what he said today? Maybe I'm reading just too much into things but when I saw these comments I immediately thought this is another change.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    05-14-14 05:54 PM
    Could you provide a link for this please? Interested to read what else was said

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 06:02 PM
    I think you're splitting hairs and looking for a different message. Consumer devices and enterprise servers is as prosumer as anything else.

Posted via CB10
    miker476 and Nemzy like this.
    05-14-14 06:08 PM
    Could you provide a link for this please? Interested to read what else was said

Posted via CB10
    Here you go. http://n4bb.com/blackberry-intereste...vices-planned/

zorgond likes this.
    05-14-14 06:26 PM
    To be fair though, Blackberry did rule out tablets for the time being a while ago. And I don't ever remember them committing to laptops.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    05-14-14 06:34 PM
    To be fair though, Blackberry did rule out tablets for the time being a while ago. And I don't ever remember them committing to laptops.

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    Yeah I'm not concerned about notebooks. Before he said no tablets, now it is if people want it. But which people? Last things he said was they were focusing on keyboard customers and regulated markets with the phones, now it is consumer devices and business servers.

05-14-14 08:12 PM
    I like the "consumer devices" part. The enterprise part doesn't concern me but if it brings cash to BlackBerry, I am all for it.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2234
    05-14-14 08:24 PM
    It seems like the focus is changing monthly at BlackBerry, or every time Chen speaks. The focus was stated as being going back to corporate for devices and BES12 as they are the only company with a complete solution. Now we have other MDM support and these statements above about focusing on consumer.

Part of me is glad that they finally seem to be getting more nimble, but part of me is concerned because they don't seem to be giving out a stable message, or giving the things that they state enough time or effort to make them successful before moving on.

The comments about tablets are very weird, especially when taken with comments earlier in his tenure. How much interest is enough? Does it have to be consumer interest or corporate interest, or both?

So is all of this just poor communications from Chen to the public, a rapidly changing policy, desperation and just trying to find something that sticks, diversion to keep investors and the media off his back? Is he just saying what needs to be said that day without fully thinking about what he said today? Maybe I'm reading just too much into things but when I saw these comments I immediately thought this is another change.

I don't think BlackBerry's messages are inconsistent and rapidly changing, I think they are formed and clarified stage-by-stage, at the right direction.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2234
    05-14-14 08:29 PM
    Yeah I'm not concerned about notebooks. Before he said no tablets, now it is if people want it. But which people? Last things he said was they were focusing on keyboard customers and regulated markets with the phones, now it is consumer devices and business servers.

Well to be fair with the push that have going on their enterprise it seems like they are getting some steam and pushing forward to maintain those bes customers and pick up new ones in the process. So with that said they may feel since that portion is going good for them yeah hey let's focused on consumers and device offering. So yeah their message will shift, and again nothing is still solid being that the company is still in the process of turning things around. Chen has laid out a solid road map in my opinion make the company profitable again. Looking on the outside it may seem easy to say oh if they did this or this then they would be ok but it's more complex than that. I can only imagine what is going on in Chen's head because it is a daunting task with out a doubt.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 08:30 PM
    I think the problem is that it seems that Chen and Blackberry is always looking to label what market they are focusing on, which it not necessary. With all these different statements, in public, it does paint Blackberry as inconsistent and to me it make better sense to come up with a message where in will not put the comapny into a corner of saying they are focusing on "whatever is the flavor of the week is". Chen and Blackberry could always say something that is in general that covers all basis.
    kbz1960 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    05-14-14 08:36 PM
    I think the problem is that it seems that Chen and Blackberry is always looking to label what market they are focusing on, which it not necessary. With all these different statements, in public, it does paint Blackberry as inconsistent and to me it make better sense to come up with a message where in will not put the comapny into a corner of saying they are focusing on "whatever is the flavor of the week is". Chen and Blackberry could always say something that is in general that covers all basis.
    Very true, and i'm sure that they are trying to figure out what that message they are trying to deliver is. But at least they are being vocal something that has not been in the past!

Posted via CB10
    05-14-14 08:45 PM
    A lot of what BlackBerry will do next hinges on market reception of Z3. I am not reading too much into anything Chen said at this point as the situation is very fluid.
    Playbook007 likes this.
    05-14-14 08:46 PM
    Damn if he says something, damned if he doesn't.

LOL

this cracked up my day.

Its time for another "what John Chen said today and we'll rip it to shreds just to point to you that BlackBerry sucks!" thread.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

/s
    wincyUt likes this.
    05-14-14 08:48 PM
    Exactly. And to me it seems this changes. Instead of saying who the devices that are being developed for but are not even out, just make them and when they get here say we made it for health care, but consumers will love it too. I'm glad they mentioned consumers again though and all touch, but they should have never had everyone worrying about that in the first place.

05-14-14 08:50 PM
    Chen said: "we're focusing on enterprise"

People scream : "Holy sh** they're abandoning consumers!"

Chen says : "Ok, so we're focusing on both now"

People scream again : "Holy sh** this guy can't hold on to his own words! BlackBerry is doomed! Yes!"

Like, seriously? They're trying to expand to consumer again and it seems like everything he's saying is wrong. I know you can always nitpick to find negatives, but this is a new level

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    H4zN, ZayDub and BCITMike like this.
    05-15-14 12:33 AM
    The message changes according to the audience.

#believeinfilm
    05-15-14 03:46 AM

#believeinfilm
    Very Possible. My concern is in a global society, where words you say on the other side of the planet are in a print blog, people can instantly pick you apart. It is possible he is only speaking in reference to very short time periods, and if so we just aren't used to that from a BlackBerry CEO. Time will tell.

He just needs to remember that he not only has to repair the brand and the company, but also the credibility of CEO position itself. His predecessors damaged that thoroughly!

JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    05-15-14 05:38 AM
    Maybe I'm reading just too much into things...
    I think this is it.

If you ask me there are no devices for enterprise only and devices for consumers only. You'll always have devices that fit both worlds, just look at the iPhone. A BlackBerry Z3 is a good entry level phone for emerging market consumers as well as a good entry level business device. There is no clear line or distinction. And I can't remember Chen saying they're moving away from the consumer business. What he said was 'we focus on enterprise' or at least that they intend to strengthen that focus. But that doesn't equal 'no more consumer devices' in any way, especially since BlackBerry isn't a hardware manufacturer only. And that's what he said in your quote: consumer devices.

I don't think he changed any of his plans, but he's right on track.
    05-15-14 05:47 AM
    Calm down...

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 05:49 AM
    Maybe someone slapped him upside the head about BYOD! It's about time.

Now, does he mean it?

Or will will he contradict himself next week, again?

Using a BlackBerry Z10! The "UnDroid"!
    05-15-14 07:41 AM
    I don't see any contradiction. Focusing on enterprise needs doesn't mean you abandon the consumer market. The two are not mutually exclusive. They do however change your approch product design.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 07:59 AM
    Maybe I'm reading just too much into things.

Not a maybe. You are.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-14 08:05 AM

#believeinfilm
    You are correct. Chen needs to speak directly to wallstreet at times. The rest of us at other times. If someone doesn't understand that. Sorry thats business in 2014.

C0007CCC8 PING BlackBerry info Channel
    05-15-14 08:29 AM
    I do believe one has to be flexible when it comes to business strategies, you have to kind of flex with the market forces or be broken by them. If the focus has changed, its most likely because an opportunity has come up that was either never seen, or just evolved......BBRY had remained ignorantly rigid in the past, but they do seem to be listening these days...
    05-15-14 08:30 AM
    Next week they'll be focusing on how to not make yourself look schizoid.
    05-15-14 09:16 AM
30 12