I would like to file a petition to ask John Chen to step down as BlackBerry CEO. Anyone in?

Posted via CB10
    Yeah because petitions of this sort have always worked out well...
    06-30-16 07:32 AM
    I would like to file a petition to ask John Chen to step down as BlackBerry CEO. Anyone in?

Posted via CB10
    The fact that he's doing a good job might get in the way.

I know most of us just want devices, but Chen was specifically brought in to build a company that does not depend on them.
    06-30-16 07:50 AM
    Anticipating that many of you would be unable to restrain yourselves from reciting why BlackBerry was justified in abandoning BB10, I said in my original post, "I don't need to hear a chorus of why Chen did this, that, and the other. The same decisions could have been made while demonstrating that BlackBerry truly appreciates those who believed in, and stuck with, the company during its bleakest times."
    Heh, every thread on this forum eventually turns into that though. Nature of the beast.
    06-30-16 08:15 AM
    I fail to see this supposed neglect.

Devices sold in early 2013 are still getting the most recent OS updates, and will continue to see security patches for at least another year.

The devices still function as advertised, and technical and warranty support continue as normal.
    Actually the reason why I will continue to buy BB10 devices.

Just on a side note: Some of my apps from BBW are still getting updates too.
    Most recent ones were ClipMan, Hub Browser and Snap2Share.
    06-30-16 09:48 AM
    He sure did. Released no upgrade path for the millions that did by bb10. Released crap phones other than passport. So it left people to either suffer through or head to the hills.

#luvmybb10os
    Those crap phones were all in the pipeline before Chen.

Little gadgets aren't designed, engineered, sourced, manufactured, packaged, and shipped overnite. It takes months to go from concept to product.
    06-30-16 01:57 PM
    You're delusional, BB10 phones were released and they were not bought, end of story.

Posted via CB10
    Not to mention that under Chen BB10 2.1 was released. The first release that really was solid and stable. Under his watch BES 12 was released.

Too many people forget how bad things were by the end of 2013 when Chen arrived. BB10 was buggy, and the BES business was in terrible shape. He was not brought in to save the phone group, he was brought in to try and salvage a company that was having a massive cash bleed problem. He has always stated his goal is to shift Blackberry's main focus to software. He has been very successful at adding good additions to build the software business. The BOD fully backs him in this direction.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-30-16 05:03 PM
    Don't you think the Z10 sold in higher numbers because it was the first BB10 phone and all the loyalists (myself included) had been waiting for it so we ran out and bought it? Disappointment set in and it has been downhill since. I don't know, that's what I think anyway.
    Maybe, I did not understand why so high hopes since it was like the PlayBook which wasn't very successful.
    Now, the Priv was the first android by BlackBerry and did not sell AT ALL...
    07-01-16 04:27 PM
    Can you provide a source to those sales figures please? The article I linked to implies they could be less than that,

BlackBerry to retreat from consumer market, lay off 4,500 employees | The Verge
    The article doesn't provide any information on phones sold, just hearsay.
    You know very well that BlackBerry does not break down the numbers. But we know all z10's were sold, even the 1B dollars worth that were initially written off.
    All you have to do is to look at the number of phones sold during the last two-three years. Even if you think that 50% of them were BBOS devices, which stopped being manufactured at least two years ago, you'd still get over 10M BB10 phones sold in 2013-2015.
    07-01-16 04:32 PM
    Maybe, I did not understand why so high hopes since it was like the PlayBook which wasn't very successful.
    Now, the Priv was the first android by BlackBerry and did not sell AT ALL...
    Exactly, but several years later after many quarters of decreased sales.
    I'm not saying it would have been better, but we'll never know how the Priv (or something similar) would have sold a few years ago instead of sticking with BB10.
    Hindsight.....
    07-01-16 04:51 PM
    Yes. If bb10 didn't exist and Z10 would have come out with android, it might have sold in the same numbers as BB10 or more. That's speculation.
    All we know is that android Priv by BlackBerry came out in November 2015 and for now has sold less than 500k units total (Google playstore downloads are real numbers, contrary to what some claim here).
    We also know that Obama has received a Samsung android, not a BlackBerry android, and that the US Senate is moving away from BlackBerry, BB10 and android.

So all of Chen's sweet dreams about government and enterprise sales of android Priv's or of upcoming mid-range android phones have already turned into nightmares.
    07-01-16 05:39 PM
    Yes. If bb10 didn't exist and Z10 would have come out with android, it might have sold in the same numbers as BB10 or more. That's speculation.
    All we know is that android Priv by BlackBerry came out in November 2015 and for now has sold less than 500k units total (Google playstore downloads are real numbers, contrary to what some claim here).
    We also know that Obama has received a Samsung android, not a BlackBerry android, and that the US Senate is moving away from BlackBerry, BB10 and android.

So all of Chen's sweet dreams about government and enterprise sales of android Priv's or of upcoming mid-range android phones have already turned into nightmares.
    That's because BB10 tarnished BlackBerry's image. Cadillacs couldn't command BMW and Mercedes pricing after selling Cimarrons. Can't just price the Priv right into flagships after years of selling garbage.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-01-16 07:27 PM
    Started drafting the petition to call for John Chen's resignation, please support me! #chenout

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    07-01-16 09:16 PM
    Started drafting the petition to call for John Chen's resignation, please support me! #chenout

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I'll sign it, after he delivers the Rome/Mercury device. Until then. #ChenFTW

Posted via CB10
    07-01-16 09:21 PM
    The article doesn't provide any information on phones sold, just hearsay.
    You know very well that BlackBerry does not break down the numbers. But we know all z10's were sold, even the 1B dollars worth that were initially written off.
    All you have to do is to look at the number of phones sold during the last two-three years. Even if you think that 50% of them were BBOS devices, which stopped being manufactured at least two years ago, you'd still get over 10M BB10 phones sold in 2013-2015.
    Sorry but I'd still like to see a source.

And The Verge article is sourcing from BlackBerry. Check the press release source link at the bottom of the article.

Many Android devices come with apps pre-installed that can also be downloaded via the Google Play store, but those do not count towards Play Store downloads. Only apps downloaded from the Play Store with a user account are counted.
    Billions: How exactly do Apple and Google count app downloads?
    07-01-16 11:45 PM
    That's because BB10 tarnished BlackBerry's image. Cadillacs couldn't command BMW and Mercedes pricing after selling Cimarrons. Can't just price the Priv right into flagships after years of selling garbage.
    That's your opinion.
    As a consulting electronics engineer, only bb10 satisfies my multitasking and engineering use of the phone as a mobile laptop.

I don't need a tablet or even my macBook 12 inch for 95% of the time when I travel.

And even when I use my MacBook, it is to remotely log in into my Linux office workstation to run simulations or look at designs.

The Macbook or an iphone are pretty useless for a design engineer.

I look around at conferences and other technical meetings and I am the only one that only comes with his phone and does all his technical presentations and conference papers from his phone.
    Everyone else with iphones or android phones have to carry a laptop or surface which as big as a laptop or bigger and heavier than a macbook 12 inch. With retina display.

My daughter has an iphone 6, my son has a Note 4 and none of them can use their phones as effectively as me to do my type of business.
    Neither can my wife who used to have a company-issued S4 and now has an iphone. She has to carry a laptop when she travels to do business.
    I don't. I have all the power and functionality of work, leaisure reading and entertainment on my passport.
    I dread the time (at least 3 years from now) when by Passport's battery will be dead and I will have to use an iphone. Android is out of the question due to data mining.

My only hope is that by then IoS would have evolved enough to incorporate the file manager and the multitasking and efficiency of email and HUB of BB10.
    07-02-16 06:07 AM
    This is for Invictus0:

Look at IDT data of phones sold per quarter by BlackBerry. I posted some of those in the crackberry forums with links from BBC website.
    Also, there were posts here 2 years ago with the estimated number of z10, Q10, Z30 and Z3 from the use of one bb10 app from the developer of the app.
    07-02-16 06:10 AM
    Sorry but I'd still like to see a source.

And The Verge article is sourcing from BlackBerry. Check the press release source link at the bottom of the article.

Billions: How exactly do Apple and Google count app downloads?
    Yes and BlackBerry forces you to register with Google to update the Priv's BlackBerry apps. This is one reason why I will never buy android by BlackBerry.
    So, unless you are claiming that every priv owner with a Google account has at least two Priv's and/or that most of them have never updated the BlackBerry apps on their Priv's, and that of all of the 600k and 500k units sold in the last two quarters were Priv's (even Chen doesn't claim so), I don't see how more than 500k Priv's would have been sold by now.
    So, I don't understand why android supporters here try to paint a false picture.
    Android by BlackBerry never made sense and has already been proven a massive failure. Most current BlackBerry users (still over 20 million) don't want to buy android from BlackBerry for a variety of reasons.
    07-02-16 07:34 AM
    1 phone does not make it a failure. If after the next couple of releases they are still not selling, then we can talk.
    And let's not forget that the price tag was an immediate deterrent from any possibility of positive sales figures.
    07-02-16 07:39 AM
    Yes and BlackBerry forces you to register with Google to update the Priv's BlackBerry apps. This is one reason why I will never buy android by BlackBerry.
    So, unless you are claiming that every priv owner with a Google account has at least two Priv's and/or that most of them have never updated the BlackBerry apps on their Priv's, and that of all of the 600k and 500k units sold in the last two quarters were Priv's (even Chen doesn't claim so), I don't see how more than 500k Priv's would have been sold by now.
    So, I don't understand why android supporters here try to paint a false picture.
    Android by BlackBerry never made sense and has already been proven a massive failure. Most current BlackBerry users (still over 20 million) don't want to buy android from BlackBerry for a variety of reasons.
    I'm pretty sure you can skip adding a Google account on Android phones, you just wouldn't have access to Google services (including Play). Your claim was that Google Play download numbers are accurate which even Google refutes as shown in the link. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Priv sales after three quarters were around/just under 600k.
    07-02-16 09:52 AM
    I'm pretty sure you can skip adding a Google account on Android phones, you just wouldn't have access to Google services (including Play). Your claim was that Google Play download numbers are accurate which even Google refutes as shown in the link. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if Priv sales after three quarters were around/just under 600k.
    Don't waste your time arguing with people who think they know everything and that their personal anecdotes represent the entire world. There's better things to do on a Saturday. Me, I wish I weren't at work. 80 and sunny!
    cribble2k likes this.
    07-02-16 10:12 AM
    Google offers you some Apps and they only ask you to to sign up for them.. Its not like they're asking you to pay for the apps.. When you want to use a service or a website, you've to sign up for an account.. Its pretty normal.. Now what I don't like is forcing us to have a Google+ account in order to give ratings/reviews to apps.. Silly attempt to make people use Google+.. They should stop making Google+ happen because it won't..
    07-02-16 12:17 PM
    Google offers you some Apps and they only ask you to to sign up for them.. Its not like they're asking you to pay for the apps.. When you want to use a service or a website, you've to sign up for an account.. Its pretty normal.. Now what I don't like is forcing us to have a Google+ account in order to give ratings/reviews to apps.. Silly attempt to make people use Google+.. They should stop making Google+ happen because it won't..
    I'd rather pay cash for a product than give away access to my data forever and without understanding future consequences and my data's future value.

Information is everything today. We live in an information society but we have little control over our data (information), which is our intellectual property.

Our data is the only way Google makes money. Google has lost money in every other business they have attempted, including smartphones.

If they would charge for their services like every other normal company does, very few people would use them and android.

What we have now is that most of the world population, who can't afford to pay for the real cost of Internet access and of all these apps, have become data slaves. They will pay for this later and the price is unknown at the moment.

The relationship between Google and the rest of us is very asymmetrical.
    We have no say if we want to use their service.
    The option to pay the real price for Google search and android is not given to us.
    It's either you have to accept Google's terms or you are banished from the internet.
    07-03-16 09:16 AM
    And that's what I wrote and what Google downloads predict. Check the number of downloads for Chrome.
    07-03-16 09:17 AM
    Don't waste your time arguing with people who think they know everything and that their personal anecdotes represent the entire world. There's better things to do on a Saturday. Me, I wish I weren't at work. 80 and sunny!
    I guess you missed the part where I emphasized that that particular example was my use scenario which was unique and applied to less than 0.1% of the population.
    But, sure, you are free to comment, just don't forget to actually add something or a different point of view to the conversation and to provide some arguments to support your view.
    07-03-16 09:22 AM
    The relationship between Google and the rest of us is very asymmetrical.
    This is completely in the eyes of the beholder.

The cost to me of giving up aggregate data to a black box at Google that is well firewalled is far less than the value I receive from using Google's services.
    07-03-16 09:30 AM
241 ... 56789 ...