That has been written on Crackberry of all BB10 phones, too, still they sold more than the priv.
    There are many excuses, but even the new mid-range phones, if they do come out, will prove that far fewer people would buy android from BlackBerry than those who purchased BB10 phones.
    BB10 phone sales are decreasing also. It's not one phone per se, it's the brand itself.
    06-26-16 05:13 PM
    The brand needs a revolutionary marketing campaign to revive it (Which BB can't afford).. Some of the phones that were released if they belonged to other companies, they would have sold.. Imagine a Priv with that white apple on its back.. I can see 40 50 Million devices sold easily.. Yes even for $700.
    BeautyEh likes this.
    06-26-16 05:20 PM
    If this policy is so good and smart, then why is Priv selling in smaller numbers than any other BlackBerry phone?
    Just take a look at Google playstore and you'll see that none of the BlackBerry apps has surpassed 500k downloads, after 2.5 quarters of selling the Priv.
    These are the most pathetic numbers for any BlackBerry phone since 2013, despite all those apps and all of Chen's efforts to convert everyone to Android.
    It's not working...and it will never work.
    BlackBerry apps are pre-installed on the Priv so Google Play download counts aren't a good indicator of sales.

Last quarter I think Crackberry estimates for total Priv sales were sitting at around 600k.

Edit:

Q3: http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru.../#post12186427

Can't find the Q4 16 thread
    Last edited by Invictus0; 06-26-16 at 07:44 PM.
    06-26-16 06:29 PM
    I'm clinging to my BlackBerry's too. I'm scared BlackBerry will die soon so i'm stocking up on 9900's. I have 2. And a Q10. Still want more just in case. I love the bb10 software. Nothing is better.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 08:16 PM
    BB10 is a fantastic OS the problems of it never being accepted by John Q Public have been gone over many times. No advertising, not educating the carriers who sold the phones of it's advantages and efficiency and not working to revive a tarnished brand. Total shame but this is all on BlackBerry management way before Chen and Thorsten. Old management did not look towards the future (lack of vision & arrogance). These are the reasons the best OS in the market has so little market share globally today. Rocking 24-7 with my Passport SE Semi Retired Z10 & 64GB Playbook and Retired Storm & Torch.
    06-26-16 10:34 PM
    I'm clinging to my BlackBerry's too. I'm scared BlackBerry will die soon so i'm stocking up on 9900's. I have 2. And a Q10. Still want more just in case. I love the bb10 software. Nothing is better.

Posted via CB10
    Stock up the 9900s.. Too early on the Q10.. When they drop below $100 or more.. that's the right time to hoard them.
    06-26-16 10:50 PM
    I'm clinging to my BlackBerry's too. I'm scared BlackBerry will die soon so i'm stocking up on 9900's. I have 2.
    BIS isn't long for this world - carriers are already starting to decommission it - and your 9900s will be pretty worthless without it. I hope you didn't spend a lot on them...
    06-26-16 11:09 PM
    I'm firmly in the "it cost too much" camp.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    My new Priv cost more than my wife's new Galaxy S7, and I'm pretty certain she could sell her device on eBay a year from now for considerably more than I could sell my Priv at that time.

... so you make a good point.
    john_v likes this.
    06-27-16 12:30 AM
    If there was no gov. org. , BB hardware division would be shut already.
    06-27-16 06:46 AM
    Chen was brought in to help BlackBerry return to a profit. While he had hoped for BB10 to turn a profit, it hasn't. Not enough people are buying BlackBerry 10 phones to let BlackBerry make a profit off of it, so Chen had to/is starting to cut BB10 short. As much as I hate to see it go I would rather have Chen cut BB10 then continue producing the software and not making a profit

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't mind if he just says it out loud "BlackBerry 10 is dead", instead, he has been giving mixed signals to keep people hanging, that's **** up! Take 10.3.3 for example, delayed from May to June, now it's already end of June and yet not a word was mentioned! Well done John Chen for screwing up BlackBerry again!

Posted via CB10
    06-27-16 07:02 AM
    The base you speak of, while almost fanatical, is not big enough to support BB10 continuously development.

If you ask me, it's more of the other way around: "because the BB10 base is so small, Chen is forced to attempt other ventures into the Android world".
    I totally agree with this statement. We all love bb10 but for a business to stay profitable a ceo needs to look for new ventures.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-16 07:30 AM
    Blackberry thinks they can gain more new users than sales from existing users. The biggest complaint I see from current BB10 users is no upgrade path. We have not been given 1 device upgrade since BB10 arrived with the Z10. You own a Z10 and love it... then what is your next device? A z30 may be too big and its nearly as old... a Passport is a completely different device. I have 5 close friends still using Z10s who are ready to upgrade but Blackberry has given them absolutely no option but to go iOS. None want Android and really don't like apple, but with Windows phone not really working out and no BB devices they have no choice. It doesn't make sense to me why Blackberry wouldn't want to keep these potential sales. There are millions of active Z10s, Z30s and Q10s today that will need to be replaced very soon. They could easily keep these users and possibly win back those who dumped Blackberry already by releasing the devices everyone has been asking for since 2014.
    06-27-16 07:52 AM
    I wouldn't mind if he just says it out loud "BlackBerry 10 is dead", instead, he has been giving mixed signals to keep people hanging, that's **** up! Take 10.3.3 for example, delayed from May to June, now it's already end of June and yet not a word was mentioned! Well done John Chen for screwing up BlackBerry again!

Posted via CB10
    Mixed signals?

There are no BB10 devices on any roadmap.
    There are no new update plans that are any more than security patches.
    Taught BlackBerry made it pretty clear to developers that no new updated development tools were coming and that the Runtime was staying the same.

For many of us, the "signal" as been pretty clear. BlackBerry would sell existing inventory and would support those users with these security patches. But that the future was Android... if they can make if profitable for them. If not they would be getting out of hardware. Really not plans at all for BB10 other than those security patches and some security certification that means nothing at this point.
    jegs2, JeepBB, Jerry A and 4 others like this.
    06-27-16 07:55 AM
    I totally agree with this statement. We all love bb10 but for a business to stay profitable a ceo needs to look for new ventures.

Posted via CB10
    Its insane how backwards the thinking is. Blackberry HAS enough loyal users to hit sales numbers required to stay afloat several times over. Blackberry HAD enough users to win back a share of the market and likely many would love to go back to Blackberry. Why on earth would they want to dip into an open market that even Chinese OEMs are struggling to make a profit in? On top of that they have to give up device security and control over the OS development. They try so hard to fail.....
    06-27-16 07:59 AM
    Concur, which is the reason I plopped down money for a Priv, vice a BB10 device like the Passport that I would have personally preferred.

Still have a Palm Treo, which was an excellent device, but saw Palm OS heading the way of the Dodo and so jumped ship before it sank.
    BergerKing likes this.
    06-27-16 08:02 AM
    Mixed signals?

There are no BB10 devices on any roadmap.
    There are no new update plans that are any more than security patches.
    Taught BlackBerry made it pretty clear to developers that no new updated development tools were coming and that the Runtime was staying the same.

For many of us, the "signal" as been pretty clear. BlackBerry would sell existing inventory and would support those users with these security patches. But that the future was Android... if they can make if profitable for them. If not they would be getting out of hardware. Really not plans at all for BB10 other than those security patches and some security certification that means nothing at this point.
    Everyone hears what they want to hear. For some reason you don't want to hear about any hope for Blackberry to revive BB10 so you ignored Chen saying "After the 10.4 we may consider new devices". He has only confirmed that there will be no new devices for 2016. The failure of android may or may not accelerate this and the reception of 10.3.3 may also have in impact on this. Also he has never said 10.3.3 and 10.4 will ONLY be for security certifications. He said the main focus is new certifications which only reflects what he considers to be most important.
    You can apply your logic and may be right.. but when using facts we have to assume we may see more BB10 devices.
    06-27-16 08:12 AM
    Its insane how backwards the thinking is. Blackberry HAS enough loyal users to hit sales numbers required to stay afloat several times over. Blackberry HAD enough users to win back a share of the market and likely many would love to go back to Blackberry. Why on earth would they want to dip into an open market that even Chinese OEMs are struggling to make a profit in? On top of that they have to give up device security and control over the OS development. They try so hard to fail.....
    Most of those users saw no value in BlackBerry devcies without BIS..... I imagine most BlackBerry users bought a BlackBerry because of lower cost data plans and lower data usage. Secondary might have been BBM - which can now be used on any device.

So the question because, why on earth would they want BB10 or even BlackBerry Android? When they can take advantage of those struggling OEM and buy two or three phones for the price of a BlackBerry?
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-27-16 08:20 AM
    IMO opinion there are multiple reasons.

Market for a pkb android device is significantly smaller than anticipated
    Price too high.
    Tarnished Brand.

Some or all of those and a few more not listed.
    1) It's a fricking slider.

Nowhere and no how in the history of phones has it been shown that sliders had or have the sort of popularity to move larger volumes. There is a risk trying to differentiate oneself � that the differentiating feature is not desirable.
    TgeekB and DrBoomBotz like this.
    06-27-16 08:37 AM
    Most of those users saw no value in BlackBerry devcies without BIS..... I imagine most BlackBerry users bought a BlackBerry because of lower cost data plans and lower data usage. Secondary might have been BBM - which can now be used on any device.

So the question because, why on earth would they want BB10 or even BlackBerry Android? When they can take advantage of those struggling OEM and buy two or three phones for the price of a BlackBerry?
    Yes those are very key points do that are included in the majority of consumers decision. One of the big points of going with Blackberry was the closed ecosystem and OS refinement. Its like iOS but built for professionals. Another is just preference which Blackberry doesn't have the luxury of since not enough people had BB10 in their hands. I don't think Blackberry should worry about low end segment... mid to high end is really where they belong as long as they can restore carrier relations to subsidize the devices. Maybe licensing software for android and BB10 high end devices should be their sole focus in handsets.
    06-27-16 08:48 AM
    Everyone hears what they want to hear. For some reason you don't want to hear about any hope for Blackberry to revive BB10 so you ignored Chen saying . He has only confirmed that there will be no new devices for 2016. The failure of android may or may not accelerate this and the reception of 10.3.3 may also have in impact on this. Also he has never said 10.3.3 and 10.4 will ONLY be for security certifications. He said the main focus is new certifications which only reflects what he considers to be most important.
    You can apply your logic and may be right.. but when using facts we have to assume we may see more BB10 devices.

If you are talking about the NDTV interview... only time I know of he said that.

That same interviewer asked him if he was saying there would be new BB10 devcies... Chen said no, he wasn't saying that. He clearly indicated they don't have plans right now for new BB10 devcies, in the future they might reconsider and look back at BB10.

And he clearly said in that same interview that 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 were focused on mainly security certifications.

If you want to have hope for BB10... that is fine. I just think that those like you and the OP can't come back and act all surprised later.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    06-27-16 09:03 AM
    I'm firmly in the "it cost too much" camp.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    On top of that, there has been a global saturation on phones in general. Pretty much came into the price point at the wrong time, you can't sell anything in this price range unless you are Apple. People are realizing you do not need high end phones anymore.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and Mecca EL like this.
    06-27-16 09:11 AM
    If BB10 is not worth saving and Android is the only future, then why is Huawei developing their own OS, so they DO NOT have to rely on Google Android.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=huawe...56.ceDiH7ZwU6s

Or why has Samsung also been doing the same for the same reasons since 2012, which would have given them a big advantage, if they had acquired they BlackBerry and the BB10 OS, when all the rumours were circulating of a possible sales, after John Chen took over as CEO.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=samsu...97.jep9M6CC3vo

Which I believe was the plan to sell BlackBerry to Samsung, based on how long Chen took to deny the rumours, and only after the backlash from most of the BlackBerry loyalist (including many who are now anti-BlackBerry, or anti-BB10).
    06-27-16 10:46 AM
    If you are talking about the NDTV interview... only time I know of he said that.

That same interviewer asked him if he was saying there would be new BB10 devcies... Chen said no, he wasn't saying that. He clearly indicated they don't have plans right now for new BB10 devcies, in the future they might reconsider and look back at BB10.

And he clearly said in that same interview that 10.3.3 and 10.3.4 were focused on mainly security certifications.

If you want to have hope for BB10... that is fine. I just think that those like you and the OP can't come back and act all surprised later.
    If they don't build a BB10 device I would be far from surprised. I'm confident they won't survive if they don't and with all honestly I'm trying to come to terms with the fact that my next device at this point will likely be an iPhone unless we get another option by the time my Passport is no longer usable.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    06-27-16 11:05 AM
    If BB10 is not worth saving and Android is the only future, then why is Huawei developing their own OS, so they DO NOT have to rely on Google Android.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=huawe...56.ceDiH7ZwU6s

Or why has Samsung also been doing the same for the same reasons 2012, which would have given them a big advantage, if not for the failure to acquire BlackBerry when Chen took over as CEO

https://www.google.ca/search?q=samsu...97.jep9M6CC3vo

Which I believe was the plan to sell BlackBerry to Samsung, based on how long Chen took to deny the rumours, and only after the backlash from most of the BlackBerry loyalist (including many who are now anti-BlackBerry, or anti-BB10).
    Because these OEMs see that there is little money in hardware... look at the PC market once it reached saturation. They look at Apple and they dream of making money on Apps, Content, Services and having a closed ecosystem of their own.

The company reportedly has a team working on the mobile OS in Scandinavia, with the engineers including ex-Nokia employees
    Wonder if Huawei is working with Jolla on Sailfish or a version of Sailfish? Or another group that worked with the Linux MeeGo.

Some markets like Russia and China still has room for growth and these markets aren't currently as app dependent. But that is changing. Tizen has seen sales falling, and haven't hear much from Samsung about Tizen outside of it's use in other electronics.

Samsung was never planning to buy BlackBerry.. ( they had Tizen already) that was a dream a few "loyalists" (especially those holding stock) had for a way to keep BlackBerry alive.
    Jack Chin and MikeX74 like this.
    06-27-16 11:10 AM
    That's like asking, "If unicorns don't exist, why do zebras have stripes?"
    DrBoomBotz, jegs2, Jerry A and 4 others like this.
    06-27-16 11:12 AM
241 1234 ...