Many BB10 lovers, including me, are clinging tenaciously to their BB10 devices despite the lack of apps and the lack of meaningful attention from Chen or BlackBerry. But, from the way BlackBerry teased BB10 users when it first revealed what would turn out to be the Android-running Priv to the recent attention that IOS and Android BBM video has gotten with BB10 being left out, it seems that BlackBerry doing absolutely nothing to retain, let alone woo, it's foundational users.

I understand about BlackBerry making decisions to improve its bottom line, so I don't need to hear a chorus of why Chen did this, that, and the other. The same decisions could have been made while indicating that BlackBerry truly appreciates those who believed in, and stuck with, the company during its bleakest times.

Instead, I have the distinct impression that as I hang on to the flotsam and jetsam that was once the proud ship BlackBerry, the captain is prying my fingers from the debris. Does anyone else feel Chen is actively and intentionally trying to cull it's BB10 loyalist from the ranks, so the platform can die--at least for consumers--and Chen will have the cover of saying he was committed to BB10 but discontinued it because of lack of user interest?

#I<3BB10
    GWooster likes this.
    06-26-16 09:09 AM
    The base you speak of, while almost fanatical, is not big enough to support BB10 continuously development.

If you ask me, it's more of the other way around: "because the BB10 base is so small, Chen is forced to attempt other ventures into the Android world".
    web99, Sairos, jegs2 and 7 others like this.
    06-26-16 09:15 AM
    Many BB10 lovers, including me, are clinging tenaciously to their BB10 devices despite the lack of apps and the lack of meaningful attention from Chen or BlackBerry. But, from the way BlackBerry teased BB10 users when it first revealed what would turn out to be the Android-running Priv to the recent attention that IOS and Android BBM video has gotten with BB10 being left out, it seems that BlackBerry doing absolutely nothing to retain, let alone woo, it's foundational users.

I understand about BlackBerry making decisions to improve its bottom line, so I don't need to hear a chorus of why Chen did this, that, and the other. The same decisions could have been made while indicating that BlackBerry truly appreciates those who believed in, and stuck with, the company during its bleakest times.

Instead, I have the distinct impression that as I hang on to the flotsam and jetsam that was once the proud ship BlackBerry, the captain is prying my fingers from the debris. Does anyone else feel Chen is actively and intentionally trying to cull it's BB10 loyalist from the ranks, so the platform can die--at least for consumers--and Chen will have the cover of saying he was committed to BB10 but discontinued it because of lack of user interest?

#I<3BB10

So much forum drama.... Chen was hired by Prem Watsa to save the company and not the hardware division. BB already know that their days as a smartphone manufacturer is numbered ever since they put themselves for sale and they tried to get other OEM's to adapt BB10 for free. But no other company bought them and no other OEM wanted to manufacture BB10 smartphones.

No one is trying to make you leave BB10. That is all on you. There is no grand conspiracies, nor are there groups out there trying to keep you away from your beloved BB10. BB10 has 0.2% global market share - that alone tells you that there is not enough interests nor customer base to sustain BB efforts to make BB10 phones.
    06-26-16 09:34 AM
    Of course it's a conspiracy, there's a conspiracy between Chen, Watsa, Heins, the carriers, every developer for every platform in the world, Microsoft, Apple, Google, the Chinese, the NSA, lizard people and the Girl Scouts to keep BB10 down, for some reason.

Much easier to believe than the preposterous idea that BB10 failed and the OP's delusion is shared by few outside CrackBerry.
    06-26-16 09:40 AM
    Of course it's a conspiracy, there's a conspiracy between Chen, Watsa, Heins, the carriers, every developer for every platform in the world, Microsoft, Apple, Google, the Chinese, the NSA, lizard people and the Girl Scouts to keep BB10 down, for some reason.

Much easier to believe than the preposterous idea that BB10 failed and the OP's delusion is shared by few outside CrackBerry.
    You forgot Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny. Those two I have heard - have their heart set on bringing down BB. To the point that they are preventing chip manufacturers to give BB their latest and greatest processors....oh wait, chip manufacturers are not doing so since BB can't buy from them large (profitable) numbers of chips compared to other OEMS.
    JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    06-26-16 09:47 AM
    You want blackberry to make smartphones in future or u want to cry over bb10's grave forever,,chen himself wants hardware division to succeed,that's why even after every failed attempt he's still tryin to bring it back on track or perhaps to make it profitable so that even at worse,we will see atleast one phone in a year from blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 10:18 AM

Life was SO much easier in the '80s when we could just blame everything on the communists.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    DrBoomBotz, jegs2, JeepBB and 6 others like this.
    06-26-16 10:51 AM
    You want blackberry to make smartphones in future or u want to cry over bb10's grave forever,,chen himself wants hardware division to succeed,that's why even after every failed attempt he's still tryin to bring it back on track or perhaps to make it profitable so that even at worse,we will see atleast one phone in a year from blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    Going Android seems like their only real option.

It's just that there are a couple of weirdos like me who wouldn't consider Android running the googles as an option. We're obviously an insignificantly small number.
    I personally don't know where I'd go if there is no BB10 option whenever my Passport dies.
    I don't think I'd buy an Android device that has the Googly runs the Googles, no matter who the manufacturer is. It's just because my beef is with Google and choose not to use their services.

Just personal preference.
    It's a fight between my longtime love for BlackBerry devices and my personal preference to not use Google or Apple on personal devices (my work-issued device has been, but I have no say in that).

But for any chance of success in the market, BlackBerry seems to need Android with Google stuff built-in. And I guess that would leave just a handful of us still searching for a device when the need eventually arises.

I have used nothing but BlackBerry devices as personal devices since my Pearl. Before that, it was all Nokia 'dumbphones'.

But there are even some that didn't choose BB10 because of awesome BlackBerry devices, but some actually just chose it because it wasn't Android or iOS.
    The 'anti-the other guys' plus the 'pro-blackberry hardware on BlackBerry OS' seem to be the only ones of us feeling lost lol.

 Passport/SQW100-3 .2876 CB10 
    06-26-16 10:54 AM

#I<3BB10
    Do you honestly think that Blackberry cares that you use BB10 or that people have "stuck with them" with their OS? They care about one thing and one thing only, making money. The notion that they should "woo" its foundation users is laughable. They always have and always will be in the business of making money. If the Playbook didn't teach you that then I don't know what to tell you. They don't care about you or I in the sense that anyone was "loyal" to them. Not their fault as that is the nature of business.

Why some of you act like BB is a family member that should do right by you is unbelievable. They want to make money by any means necessary and BB10 isn't making them money.
    jegs2, JeepBB, TGR1 and 4 others like this.
    06-26-16 10:56 AM

Damned Girl Scouts. I knew they were up to no good! Do-si-dos, yeah right!
    JeepBB and Mecca EL like this.
    06-26-16 11:38 AM
    If Chen could save BlackBerry by selling wind up jack in the boxes, they'd sell wind up jack in the boxes. The OS is irrelevant as long as they can sell phones. He tried with BB10 and no one bought. He tried with Android and even fewer bought. It's that simple.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 11:50 AM

Obviously android by BlackBerry is a much bigger delusion than BB10, both for Chen and for those who hired him.

Not listening to their customers and fanbase is killing BlackBerry.

Despite the positive spin Chen is trying to put and despite his spending over 1B dollars to purchase some software revenue, even BlackBerry software is not growing fast enough. It still is only 35-41% of dwindling revenues. It's on par with hardware sales which have been dropping every quarter since Chen took the helm.

I applaud all your frequent defensive emails, though.
    David Tyler likes this.
    06-26-16 11:51 AM

Shh. We're not supposed to talk about our lizard overlords.
    06-26-16 11:52 AM
    {thread title continued on page 3}
    cribble2k likes this.
    06-26-16 11:55 AM
    Do you honestly think that Blackberry cares that you use BB10 or that people have "stuck with them" with their OS? They care about one thing and one thing only, making money. The notion that they should "woo" its foundation users is laughable. They always have and always will be in the business of making money. If the Playbook didn't teach you that then I don't know what to tell you. They don't care about you or I in the sense that anyone was "loyal" to them. Not their fault as that is the nature of business.

Why some of you act like BB is a family member that should do right by you is unbelievable. They want to make money by any means necessary and BB10 isn't making them money.
    I basically agree with this, with the caveat that throwing your base under the bus can only be done so many times before it creates badwill for the brand as a whole. This is particularly true for companies that are followers in their businesses, which are most companies.

Even Apple has this problem with its snubbing of video editing pros with FCPX (and of pros generally with its moribund Mac Pro line). And that was a problem Cook inherited from Jobs. Software is really hard, which is why the Apple desktop has always suffered since the advent of Windows. But they can afford this deficiency at the moment. BlackBerry doesn't have the margin, in any sense.

It's optimistic to believe BlackBerry will succeed in its attempt to become a software firm, though they have as good of a CEO as they could hope in making the attempt.

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 11:56 AM
    and Chen will have the cover of saying he was committed to BB10 but discontinued it because of lack of user interest?

#I<3BB10
    What cover? There isn't a cover in that statement. It's a fact. There isn't enough users of BB10 to warrant continuing with the OS. If Chen came out and said that he would be speaking the truth.
    06-26-16 12:13 PM
    If Chen could save BlackBerry by selling wind up jack in the boxes, they'd sell wind up jack in the boxes. The OS is irrelevant as long as they can sell phones. He tried with BB10 and no one bought. He tried with Android and even fewer bought. It's that simple.

Posted via CB10
    It really is that simple, but some like the drama.
    JeepBB and john_v like this.
    06-26-16 12:17 PM
    My God, that's the biggest inside job since 9/11!

Posted via CB10
    06-26-16 12:27 PM
    The base you speak of, while almost fanatical, is not big enough to support BB10 continuously development.

If you ask me, it's more of the other way around: "because the BB10 base is so small, Chen is forced to attempt other ventures into the Android world".
    Going Android seems not to make sense if Chen is saying that BlackBerry what's to increase Software and Services revenues. BlackBerrys running Android don't specifically require BlackBerry EMM solutions so this will impact them negatively there. BlackBerry needs BB10 for them to sell BES12.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    06-26-16 03:57 PM
    Chen was brought in to help BlackBerry return to a profit. While he had hoped for BB10 to turn a profit, it hasn't. Not enough people are buying BlackBerry 10 phones to let BlackBerry make a profit off of it, so Chen had to/is starting to cut BB10 short. As much as I hate to see it go I would rather have Chen cut BB10 then continue producing the software and not making a profit

Posted via CB10
    web99 likes this.
    06-26-16 04:02 PM
    Going Android seems not to make sense if Chen is saying that BlackBerry what's to increase Software and Services revenues. BlackBerrys running Android don't specifically require BlackBerry EMM solutions so this will impact them negatively there. BlackBerry needs BB10 for them to sell BES12.

BlackBerry BB10 forever
    From what I remember BB opened BB10 to other EMMs some time ago (I think it's 2 years ago but don't quote me on that).

Nobody is denying that BB10 + BES12 might be the most secure end-to-end solution available, but not a lot of companies need that kind of security and even those that do buy phones maybe once every 5 years.

Android+ BES offers good security plus access to apps. Even company issues phones need certain productivity apps in this day and age.
    06-26-16 04:03 PM
    From what I remember BB opened BB10 to other EMMs some time ago (I think it's 2 years ago but don't quote me on that).

Nobody is denying that BB10 + BES12 might be the most secure end-to-end solution available, but not a lot of companies need that kind of security and even those that do buy phones maybe once every 5 years.

Android+ BES offers good security plus access to apps. Even company issues phones need certain productivity apps in this day and age.
    If this policy is so good and smart, then why is Priv selling in smaller numbers than any other BlackBerry phone?
    Just take a look at Google playstore and you'll see that none of the BlackBerry apps has surpassed 500k downloads, after 2.5 quarters of selling the Priv.
    These are the most pathetic numbers for any BlackBerry phone since 2013, despite all those apps and all of Chen's efforts to convert everyone to Android.
    It's not working...and it will never work.
    06-26-16 04:29 PM
    If this policy is so good and smart, then why is Priv selling in smaller numbers than any other BlackBerry phone?
    I'm firmly in the "it cost too much" camp.

Passport SE, "The BlockBerry" - Cricket Wireless
    Gebo likes this.
    06-26-16 04:35 PM
    That has been written on Crackberry of all BB10 phones, too, still they sold more than the priv.
    There are many excuses, but even the new mid-range phones, if they do come out, will prove that far fewer people would buy android from BlackBerry than those who purchased BB10 phones.
    06-26-16 04:47 PM
    IMO opinion there are multiple reasons.

Market for a pkb android device is significantly smaller than anticipated
    Price too high.
    Tarnished Brand.

Some or all of those and a few more not listed.
    06-26-16 04:59 PM
241 123 ...