At least he's been keeping the company alive long enough for all of us to have something to comment, speculate, complain, gripe and celebrate. Money drives a company, not popularity, glory or status.

People have been screaming "nail in the coffin" story for years now and BlackBerry is still here. You all need to learn more about business.
    01-04-17 05:03 PM
    At least he's been keeping the company alive long enough for all of us to have something to comment, speculate, complain, gripe and celebrate. Money drives a company, not popularity, glory or status.

People have been screaming "nail in the coffin" story for years now and BlackBerry is still here. You all need to learn more about business.
    Agreed his job is to keep Prem Watsa happy and to keep the company relevant to its core business which was big business , governments, military, law enforcement and data privacy and security. The consumer was always a second place focus. But alas just wait all of this personal data security and privacy concerns will play well into Blackberry again and we the consumer will come running back to the solutions they are building now for personal data security. The potential is there - we the consumer are just not mentally there yet and the market isn't mature yet but the water is starting to simmer.....
    01-04-17 07:42 PM
    I think even if they stop making any handsets, or even others stop making handsets for them, we will still be using them, so we will still always have something to discuss here.

-sent from a beautiful Bold 9900
    01-04-17 07:56 PM
    Well he isn't accomplishing that either.

http://www.marketwatch.com/m/quote/bbry

The stock has been rolling around the bottom of the barrel since he took office.

He destroyed hardware, software, goodwill and sales. Maybe he could go for broke, both figuratively and literally.

Android BlackBerry
    01-04-17 09:42 PM

The stock has been rolling around the bottom of the barrel since he took office.

He destroyed hardware, software, goodwill and sales. Maybe he could go for broke, both figuratively and literally.

Android BlackBerry
    I wouldn't say he destroyed much of anything. The die was cast several years before.

Frankly, it could be argued that he's done a masterful job keeping BBRY afloat.
    01-04-17 10:15 PM
    I wouldn't say he destroyed much of anything. The die was cast several years before.

I doubt anyone would think so, except for a few diehards who failed to admit he has abysmally failed at every level. . I have never known any CEO who claims that losing Billions in market value even after acquisitions ,(which were great in building the Brand) and then systematically take apart, the very thing he was supposed to build. He has not added ANY value to the company since taking over. By 2016, BlackBerry is forced to focus on enterprise customers and the Middle East and Africa, which are lower-ceiling businesses than those addressed by its competitors. Numerous acquisitions of the company have fallen through.

Mr.Chens "strategy " seems to be lowering goals and expectations every quarter and then fails to even meet the lowered targets that he even had set. That sounds like a race to the bottom not the top.

Android BlackBerry
    sorinv likes this.
    01-05-17 04:40 AM
    I still don't understand why people still don't get that Blackberry was burning through millions and in some cases a billion dollars per financial quarter and if Chen had not step in Blackberry would have went down just as bad as Rhonda Rousey last weekend. Blackberry had to change focus to stop the massive bleeding and by do so pretty much sealed the fate that they will not return to their past glory days. Chen mission is to get Blackberry to point that it is profitable company period and if that mean getting out of the device business so be it. It past time people accept this and move on, as Blackberry has moved on.
    01-05-17 06:53 AM
    The argument of Chen failing as CEO is based on a flawed assumption of BlackBerry still being a consumer focused company. The consumer market was one that BlackBerry fell into by accident due to the lack of competitive alternatives, it's a market that they never truly understood or tried to understand. As iOS and Android came along and actually gave people an alternative that offered more than BlackBerry could, they moved away in droves. Enterprise customers only moved away after their employees, consumers, didn't want to carry multiple devices.

The enterprise market is quite different from the consumer market. It's not as sexy, doesn't have widely covered trade shows from large media outlets, and often has features that go unnoticed by the public at large. A single recurring contract for a back office service can easily be worth more than several thousand single instance handset sales, because it's not just revenue, it's income: regular recurring money.

BlackBerry may never be the Titan it was, but if it can come out of a long turnaround as a successful software and services company, then the tenure of John Chen will be a success. The very fact that the company hasn't cratered at this point has helped to show the market that they won't be going away, even though the market still thinks of it as a handset provider and prices it in terms of Apple, Google, and Samsung. As software gains traction and the earnings results show growth on that front, then the stock price will improve but using that as a metric of a company's success is highly flawed.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-17 07:26 AM

Agree. People are just upset because he's not doing what they want, which would probably mean BlackBerry is out of business now.
    app_Developer and bakron1 like this.
    01-05-17 02:12 PM
    If he's so bad, why wouldn't the board have already fired him?
    01-05-17 05:45 PM
    If he's so bad, why wouldn't the board have already fired him?
    Because they would have to pay him off bigly

Android BlackBerry
    01-05-17 07:22 PM
    Let's forget the handset business for all intents and purposes. He said that it's done. What has Chen added in terms of Value? BlackBerry started haemorrhaging Enterprise clients since he took over, the Hail Mary was the Good Acquisition, what has happened since in enterprise? IoT!? DoA?? The buck or so in non recurring revenue derived from the auto infotainment input ,those licenses? Has it been profitable?

Android BlackBerry
    sorinv likes this.
    01-05-17 07:39 PM
    I'm not sure what the point of another Chen thread is -- but those angry with him should keep in mind that he was probably the last executive in Waterloo who wanted to keep the handset division ongoing.
    gugomat likes this.
    01-05-17 08:02 PM
    Because they would have to pay him off bigly

Android BlackBerry
    What the hell is bigly???

Posted via CB10 - Z10 /STL100-3/ 0S10.3.2.2474
    01-05-17 08:20 PM
    What the hell is bigly???

Posted via CB10 - Z10 /STL100-3/ 0S10.3.2.2474
    Ask the President elect or is it Big League?

Android BlackBerry
    01-05-17 08:35 PM
    The argument of Chen failing as CEO is based on a flawed assumption of BlackBerry still being a consumer focused company.
    Posted via CB10
    The only problem that I have with this argument, which is one that many people make, is that BlackBerry continues to release phones to the consumer market and to show up at consumer trade shows. Doesn't sound like they've moved away from it to me so from where I stand, complaints about their lack of success in the consumer market are still valid.
    sorinv likes this.
    01-05-17 09:09 PM

Android BlackBerry
    Exactly!

In his fourth year... and still in the brink of disaster with worthless stock.
    berrydroid likes this.
    01-05-17 09:16 PM
    I doubt anyone would think so, except for a few diehards who failed to admit he has abysmally failed at every level. . I have never known any CEO who claims that losing Billions in market value even after acquisitions ,(which were great in building the Brand) and then systematically take apart, the very thing he was supposed to build. He has not added ANY value to the company since taking over. By 2016, BlackBerry is forced to focus on enterprise customers and the Middle East and Africa, which are lower-ceiling businesses than those addressed by its competitors. Numerous acquisitions of the company have fallen through.

Mr.Chens "strategy " seems to be lowering goals and expectations every quarter and then fails to even meet the lowered targets that he even had set. That sounds like a race to the bottom not the top.

Android BlackBerry
    The BlackBerry BOD thinks he is doing a great job. I personally am amazed at what he has accomplished. I guess too many here forget that in August of 2003 the BlackBerry CEO and BoD gave up on the company and tried to firesale the company with no takers.

Chen was brought in at the end of 2003 to find a way to salvage a company that was bleeding cash like crazy. Most finacial analysts predicted BlackBerry would run out of cash by mid 2015. Only drastic and major course changes could save BlackBerry. Sure the stock is down, BlackBerry has way too many shares on the market. The company once had biliions in sales and profits. The company sat around during the gravy time doing nothing. Totally unwilling to see the market had shifted. By the time the old CEOs tried to respond it was way too late. Even when Thor took over it was way too late to save the phone business.

By the time Chen took over he had a few lemons and a couple of cracked eggs. He has done a great job. Few here fully understand how bad the situation was he inherited.
    01-05-17 11:47 PM
    The fact that BlackBerry even exists today is masterful.
    bh7171 and gugomat like this.
    01-06-17 12:14 AM
    The fact that BlackBerry even exists today is masterful.
    Amen sir and I personally think if it wasn't for Mr Chen, they would be history. The fact they are still around and introducing new software and the new Mercury is a testament to the job he has done.
    gugomat likes this.
    01-06-17 04:05 AM
    As the public face of BlackBerry, he seems to get a lot of the praise and blame for what's going on. But there is more to BlackBerry than John Chen. The real decisions are made behind the scenes. J.C., and every other CEO, is just windowdressing.

CEOs get paid with other workers' money to take the credit for the other workers' work ....
    Last edited by ohaiguise; 01-06-17 at 06:12 AM.
    01-06-17 05:42 AM
    The only problem that I have with this argument, which is one that many people make, is that BlackBerry continues to release phones to the consumer market and to show up at consumer trade shows. Doesn't sound like they've moved away from it to me so from where I stand, complaints about their lack of success in the consumer market are still valid.
    The Mercury was shown at CES by TCL, not BlackBerry. The company isn't pinning its hopes on sales of hardware anymore, which is a major step forward.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-17 05:49 AM
    The BlackBerry BOD thinks he is doing a great job. I personally am amazed at what he has accomplished. I guess too many here forget that in August of 2003 the BlackBerry CEO and BoD gave up on the company and tried to firesale the company with no takers.

Chen was brought in at the end of 2003 to find a way to salvage a company that was bleeding cash like crazy. Most finacial analysts predicted BlackBerry would run out of cash by mid 2015. Only drastic and major course changes could save BlackBerry. Sure the stock is down, BlackBerry has way too many shares on the market. The company once had biliions in sales and profits. The company sat around during the gravy time doing nothing. Totally unwilling to see the market had shifted. By the time the old CEOs tried to respond it was way too late. Even when Thor took over it was way too late to save the phone business.

By the time Chen took over he had a few lemons and a couple of cracked eggs. He has done a great job. Few here fully understand how bad the situation was he inherited.
    Over the last two and a half years BlackBerry LOST 6 BILLION dollars, if that's a ""Great Job " then I say let him continue on that path.that after Billions was injected by FAIRFAX as well. I see no reason why after all this time he wasn't able to stem these HUGE losses, Cash on Hand has considerably diminished. The value added has been in the negative territory, isn't that terrific? The losses of the "talent " at BlackBerry has been enormous with the competition benefiting from that move.

The core of BlackBerry has been gutted and that core was Enterprise, the partnerships being made now with the likes of Guliani, etc, isn't in anyway substantial enough to reverse course. Too many wrong decisions being played out publicly.

BlackBerry, should have been taken private when they had the chance, to make serious decisions without the glaring scrutiny and pressures of being publicly traded.

For shareholders it's been a nightmare.

Android BlackBerry
    01-06-17 06:31 AM
    Over the last two and a half years BlackBerry LOST 6 BILLION dollars, if that's a ""Great Job " then I say let him continue on that path.that after Billions was injected by FAIRFAX as well. I see no reason why after all this time he wasn't able to stem these HUGE losses, Cash on Hand has considerably diminished. The value added has been in the negative territory, isn't that terrific? The losses of the "talent " at BlackBerry has been enormous with the competition benefiting from that move.

The core of BlackBerry has been gutted and that core was Enterprise, the partnerships being made now with the likes of Guliani, etc, isn't in anyway substantial enough to reverse course. Too many wrong decisions being played out publicly.

BlackBerry, should have been taken private when they had the chance, to make serious decisions without the glaring scrutiny and pressures of being publicly traded.

For shareholders it's been a nightmare.

Android BlackBerry
    Sorry... the company's core problem wasn't stock value or their plans being open to discussion by stock analysis, it was they were too late to the smartphone OS wars... it was over and no one at that time really knew that (BlackBerry or the other half dozen players). And fundamentally they were not a competitive company - two slow to implement their designs and too little buying power resulted in products like the low end Z3 being $100 over the market price. Going private would not have changed their sales prospects.

The Z10 didn't "flop" because some analysis said sales were bad before they were reported. It "flopped" because BB10 was still very much in beta at that time - auto rebooting wasn't funny, it "flopped" because the Z10 was a bad design - too small of a battery and 2GB RAM, and it "flopped" because you could not install Instagram or Candy Crush on the thing.
    01-06-17 07:48 AM
    Sorry... the company's core problem wasn't stock value or their plans being open to discussion by stock analysis, it was they were too late to the smartphone OS wars... it was over and no one at that time really knew that (BlackBerry or the other half dozen players). And fundamentally they were not a competitive company - two slow to implement their designs and too little buying power resulted in products like the low end Z3 being $100 over the market price. Going private would not have changed their sales prospects.

The Z10 didn't "flop" because some analysis said sales were bad before they were reported. It "flopped" because BB10 was still very much in beta at that time - auto rebooting wasn't funny, it "flopped" because the Z10 was a bad design - too small of a battery and 2GB RAM, and it "flopped" because you could not install Instagram or Candy Crush on the thing.
    Who said that stock value or their problems being discussed by analysts was the problem ? Why are you focusing on hardware? BlackBerry was a force in Enterprise long before there was the wider consumer market, in fact the only "hardware " were pagers.

What has Mr. Chen done with Enterprise since he took the helm? What other software programs/ products were implemented to right the ship with revenues steeply declining? The fact that BlackBerry lost more than six BILLION dollars in the last two and a half years is testament to his performance.

Android BlackBerry
    01-06-17 11:05 AM
73 123