I believe him but I hope it's going to be Android based devices. I hope Blackberry won't spend too much resources in BB10. I know some people will hate me here for saying that but I do want Blackberry to continue making hardwares.

(And Android apps and services are much more advanced today...)
    Chen is too smart to spend money on BB10. Leap and Passport will buy them sometime until they feel that Android is as secure as BB10.

RedBerry Passport /10.3.2.2876 / Telus
    07-31-16 02:29 PM
    Keep the hardware alive with android devices and then make small quantities of BB10 devices for the loyals!

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 03:23 AM
    Just curious what would be more beneficial to BlackBerry 10 owners, updated hardware or a major software o/s update.

PS, I'm not saying either will happen but if it did...

Posted via CB10
    Neither, really. Some people still find BBOS phones to be enough for what they need. Only thing BB10 needs is an improved Android Runtime.
    08-01-16 04:40 AM
    Neither, really. Some people still find BBOS phones to be enough for what they need. Only thing BB10 needs is an improved Android Runtime.
    I'd like to see improvements to the browser, I find its getting a bit slow and glitchy at times.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 06:47 AM
    I'd like to see improvements to the browser, I find its getting a bit slow and glitchy at times.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, but that shouldn't mean a 'major software update' for BlackBerry, just optimization, updates and tweaks surely?
    08-01-16 07:13 AM
    I agree, but that shouldn't mean a 'major software update' for BlackBerry, just optimization, updates and tweaks surely?
    Your right it shouldn't and I don't know why they don't. I forgot I should have mentioned the map as well they need to be updated but I'm not sure if its BlackBerry or someone else who handles it.

I don't think it would take much effort on there part to keep BlackBerry 10 a viable alternative for the millions that still use it.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 07:17 AM
    Your right it shouldn't and I don't know why they don't. I forgot I should have mentioned the map as well they need to be updated but I'm not sure if its BlackBerry or someone else who handles it.

I don't think it would take much effort on there part to keep BlackBerry 10 a viable alternative for the millions that still use it.

Posted via CB10
    Becuase you don't have a clue what it would take..... developers, licensing fees, hardware drivers, support cost.

Chen does... BB10 has never been a viable product.
    DrBoomBotz and TgeekB like this.
    08-01-16 08:32 AM
    Becuase you don't have a clue what it would take..... developers, licensing fees, hardware drivers, support cost.

Chen does... BB10 has never been a viable product.
    A map and browser app is all I mentioned. Is it really that big of a deal?

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 09:00 AM
    As mentioned before, the existing hardware is sufficient hence they can reuse the parts so long as they are available. I doubt that anybody really needs a phone with 3GB of memory and eight cores, and those that do won't be using a BlackBerry anyway.
    08-01-16 09:02 AM
    Keep the hardware alive with android devices and then make small quantities of BB10 devices for the loyals!

Posted via CB10
    That makes no sense at all.
    They don't care about the "loyals" and it would be a money pit.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-01-16 10:08 AM
    That makes no sense at all.
    They don't care about the "loyals" and it would be a money pit.
    If only there were enough "loyalists" using BB10 to justify continued support.
    DrBoomBotz and JeepBB like this.
    08-01-16 10:16 AM
    Right. And the support and infrastructure for bb10 can't be cheap.

I think Passport, Classic and Z30 were the last tries for bb10. I also think BlackBerry could sell them to the rest of the world by the truckload (but probably not the USA), but I'm not in charge, probably for good reason.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    08-01-16 10:20 AM
    Blackberry is "supporting" BB10, but there won't be any new devices.
    08-01-16 10:21 AM
    They can produce the same models, without spending any more money on R&D/driver certification etc, so long as the parts are available.

We're talking about milking all the money possible from BB10, not spending more.

Remember there are still people using BBOS and paying SAFs to BlackBerry. Probably more of them than Priv users, indeed.
    08-01-16 11:34 AM
    They can produce the same models, without spending any more money on R&D/driver certification etc, so long as the parts are available.

We're talking about milking all the money possible from BB10, not spending more.

Remember there are still people using BBOS and paying SAFs to BlackBerry. Probably more of them than Priv users, indeed.
    They still don't care about about the loyal BB10 consumers and it still would be a money pit, just not quite as deep.
    08-01-16 11:45 AM
    With similar cuts made to the company and the android team working BB10 only I believe BB10 would be equally as (Non-profitable) as the android decision. As Chen said now, they don't expect to really make much money in hardware. Its the platform that they expect to make money for them. For me this is absurd being that they are on Android now. They cannot and will not make money with android, they cannot secure it nor can they inject their "special sauce" to make it stand out from the competition. Its a futile attempt and BB10 is the only real solution for them if they want to sell a secure platform.
    08-01-16 11:54 AM
    Seems counterintuitive that they can't make older models for less, hence continue to sell them but at a lower price and still make a bit of money on them. Oh well.
    08-01-16 11:58 AM
    They still don't care about about the loyal BB10 consumers and it still would be a money pit, just not quite as deep.
    Well they should care a little anyways. Not enough to be a high priority or make new hardware for but if there's millions still using BlackBerry I'd still like to see some more frequent small software updates.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 11:59 AM
    Well they should care a little anyways. Not enough to be a high priority or make new hardware for but if there's millions still using BlackBerry I'd still like to see some more frequent small software updates.

Posted via CB10
    Why should they give BB10 anymore than they have committed to?
    There is no profit in it.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-01-16 12:04 PM
    Seems counterintuitive that they can't make older models for less, hence continue to sell them but at a lower price and still make a bit of money on them. Oh well.
    Its nice to see that you understand.
    Or do you?
    08-01-16 12:04 PM
    With similar cuts made to the company and the android team working BB10 only I believe BB10 would be equally as (Non-profitable) as the android decision. As Chen said now, they don't expect to really make much money in hardware. Its the platform that they expect to make money for them. For me this is absurd being that they are on Android now. They cannot and will not make money with android, they cannot secure it nor can they inject their "special sauce" to make it stand out from the competition. Its a futile attempt and BB10 is the only real solution for them if they want to sell a secure platform.
    BB10's prospects for profitability are hopeless and that is why it is on the ice flow waving goodbye.
    08-01-16 12:10 PM
    Why should they give BB10 anymore than they have committed to?
    There is no profit in it.
    Good point but I'll counter with this
    1: keep brand loyalty, when you buy a BlackBerry your good for longer than other brand smart phones

2: ( a bit of a stretch but here goes)
    Keep a small staff to keep key apps updated and perhaps charge a small fee to get them. People that are comfortable with the hardware would pay to keep up at least till the hardware fails.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 12:12 PM
    Its nice to see that you understand.
    Or do you?
    I understand that if you can sell for higher than you paid that you can make profit. Are you saying it's impossible for this company to make any profit on any units of BB10 phones whatsoever, under any circumstances?

I see that there are still BB10 units for sale. Why are they selling them if they cannot make any money?
    08-01-16 12:18 PM
    Good point but I'll counter with this
    1: keep brand loyalty, when you buy a BlackBerry your good for longer than other brand smart phones
    As I and other have said repeatedly they don't care.
    I guess they have crunched the numbers the two updates are all the goodwill that has been budgeted for BB10.

2: ( a bit of a stretch but here goes)
    Keep a small staff to keep key apps updated and perhaps charge a small fee to get them. People that are comfortable with the hardware would pay to keep up at least till the hardware fails.
    Won't happen for the same reason as above.
    TL;DR they don't care about the loyal BB10 users.

See the metric truckload of threads regarding subscriptions and petitions etc...
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-01-16 12:21 PM
    I understand that if you can sell for higher than you paid that you can make profit. Are you saying it's impossible for this company to make any profit on any units of BB10 phones whatsoever, under any circumstances?

I see that there are still BB10 units for sale. Why are they selling them if they cannot make any money?
    Nothing is impossible but the chance of making money on BB10 is approximately 0.

They are selling existing stock to lose less money.
    losing less money is not the same as making money.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-01-16 12:25 PM
61 123