BNN - Watch TV Online | John Chen still optimistic despite Blackberry's struggles

Good video for the business folks!

This is not the phone demo video. It is the prior interview..... (sorry in advance if this was already posted).
    Interesting comments on the stock buyback move. Anyway he puts his spin on the future of Blackberry. Amber Kanwar drills him pretty good though on the negativity and the numbers.

Unfortunately for us BB fans, Chen is depressingly honest about the lack of BB phone sales in this video.
    09-25-15 08:11 PM
    People on CB understandably care mostly (almost exclusively) about BB smartphones, not the overall health of the company. They only really care about that to the extent that it affects smartphones. But Chen isn't the CEO of BB smartphones, he's the CEO of the whole company.

I think BB as a company potentially has a long life ahead of it (but could also be bought out), but I remain strongly skeptical about BB smartphones, even Android ones, having much of a future. And that reality, which is finally hitting many people here, is what has them upset - at Chen and the situation.

But Chen isn't emotional about smartphones like many users are - they're just a piece in the revenue puzzle for him, and when that piece stops being useful, he's happy to leave it behind. Like many, I believe that was his long-term plan since the day he accepted the job, and I'm sure the BoD is fully read in on that plan as well. But because so much of BB's revenue is based on their smartphone business, Chen couldn't announce on the day he was hired that "we're only going to keep smartphones around until we can replace that revenue with software and services revenue" - even though I believe that is precisely his plan.

Chen has stated and acted in ways that just barely allow people to argue that BB smartphones have a future, and that's all he needs to buy himself enough time to spool up software and services (or, at least, that's his hope). He's clearly not willing to spend significant money to try to grow the smartphone business - that day is long past. Instead, all of his efforts with regards to growth is software and services, which, if successful, have a much higher profit margin and a much lower risk. And that is why he is optimistic. He's a software guy and he's been through this scenario before a couple of times, including with Sybase.

Granted, that's not nearly enough to make BB smartphone fans happy, but those aren't really the people Chen has to make happy right now - he's FAR more beholden to BB investors (the big ones especially) and the BoD of the company.
    dusanvn and JeepBB like this.
    09-25-15 08:29 PM
    LOL...

Guy couldn't help but take a dig at the name at the very end.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-15 08:33 PM
    Amber kanwar is amazing that's all I took away from this video

Posted via CB10
    Alexandru Debu likes this.
    09-25-15 11:13 PM