There must be some kind of irony award for using a security summit to attack the use of strong encryption, and*BlackBerry*CEO John Chen seems determined to win it. Speaking at the BlackBerry Security Summit, Chen said that he is �disturbed� by Apple�s decision to work hard to keep its devices and messaging services secure, reports*Patently Apple.

Z5 Premium - 6.0.1 - T-Mobile USA
    07-20-16 12:16 PM
    Chen

Attached Thumbnails Chen is killing BlackBerry-12671.jpg  
    07-20-16 12:17 PM
    Did you also notice the news of BlackBerry securing or gaining the approval of at least three US Government Agencies. One has to wonder if concessions on BlackBerry 's part, had to be made.

A BlackBerry Fan
    Last edited by KNEBB; 07-20-16 at 01:22 PM.
    07-20-16 01:00 PM
    Although, the counter argument is that Chen has built and/or acquired BES, BBM Protected, WatchDox, AdHoc, and SecureSmart, that all use world class end to end encryption.

Priv STV100-1 AAF518 / Q5SQR100-1/10.3.3.746
    07-20-16 01:09 PM
    Chen has to be kicked out!

Posted via CB10
    timperbel likes this.
    07-20-16 01:10 PM
    Chen has to be kicked out!

Posted via CB10
    I think it's time you let it go. Chen, or anyone else in his place, will never build you another BB10 device, which seems to be your only focus on this forum.
    07-20-16 01:20 PM
    You're right, Chen is killing BlackBerry. If only they kept the Genius of Waterloo Thorsten Heins in charge, then the shareholders can have BB10 phones to be productive while they beg on the street.
    07-20-16 01:22 PM
    07-20-16 02:08 PM
    Personally, I wonder how many news outlets would've written about this summit if he hadn't mentioned Apple.
    07-20-16 02:57 PM
    There must be some kind of irony award for using a security summit to attack the use of strong encryption, and*BlackBerry*CEO John Chen seems determined to win it. Speaking at the BlackBerry Security Summit, Chen said that he is �disturbed� by Apple�s decision to work hard to keep its devices and messaging services secure, reports*Patently Apple.

As a non-BlackBerry user who hangs out on Crackberry to post obsessive-compulsive rants about how Chen has ruined BlackBerry, I would imagine you are somewhat of an expert in the field of irony.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    07-20-16 03:05 PM
    Killing Blackberry? If by Killing Blackberry you mean restructuring so that the company is actually moving up and finally making money instead of after years of hemorhaging money under other management, then sure.
    07-20-16 04:10 PM
    I wouldn't say this is killing BB, but someone does need to get in Chen's ear and tell him to just drop this talking point of his. It's foolishly at odds with BB's product offering and strategy.

Every time Chen criticizes Apple he is literally criticizing BBM protected, etc. It makes no sense at all.

Apple is not BB's competitor. Just don't talk about Apple again, because there is no point to it.
    skinnymike1, JeepBB and kbz1960 like this.
    07-20-16 04:12 PM
    I wouldn't say this is killing BB, but someone does need to get in Chen's ear and tell him to just drop this talking point of his. It's foolishly at odds with BB's product offering and strategy.
    I'd disagree to certain point. More specifically, it's at odds with what BB's consumer demographic interpreted or expected. Not with what BB has been offering. Whether consumers were able to recognize it or not, well that's up to each person to accept or not. BB was never about locked down security. It has always been about "monitored security". Not quite the same thing.
    07-20-16 04:18 PM
    Chen has literally killed BlackBerry's devices business. It was reported that Chen reminded his audience, he'd eschewed the name "devices" when reorganizing the company. BlackBerry doesn't actually have a devices business anymore.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07..._strategy_nyc/

BlackBerry won't be making devices very soon. We'll see other makers phones with some BlackBerry tech that might even be branded as "BlackBerry."

While these really be BlackBerry phones? Not to me.

Chen probably saved BlackBerry as a company but he couldn't save the only thing that I really cared about that this company did.

It's very sad. I wish it had turned out differently.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    FF22 and JulesDB like this.
    07-20-16 04:33 PM
    Chen has literally killed BlackBerry's devices business. It was reported that Chen reminded his audience, he'd eschewed the name "devices" when reorganizing the company. BlackBerry doesn't actually have a devices business anymore.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/07..._strategy_nyc/

BlackBerry won't be making devices very soon. We'll see other makers phones with some BlackBerry tech that might even be branded as "BlackBerry."

While these really be BlackBerry phones? Not to me.

Chen probably saved BlackBerry as a company but he couldn't save the only thing that I really cared about that this company did.

I honestly couldn't care less. A decent product, backed by BlackBerry, with BlackBerry hardening tech, and BlackBerry apps is good enough for me.

Who's to say BlackBerry could design a better Android device anyway?
    BBeast and skinnymike1 like this.
    07-20-16 04:36 PM

Saving BlackBerry is a tall order already, saving BlackBerry and the device division is borderline impossible.
    07-20-16 04:37 PM
    Chen has literally killed BlackBerry's devices business.
    Blackberry's device business was dead in the water loooong before Chen showed up. Hanging that on his head is hyperbole at best. He made token efforts to revive it, but it wasn't worth burning more resources than he did to make the attempt any larger. If he had dumped more money and resources into it, he would have been heralded a fool for even trying. His job isn't to make devices profitable. His job is to make the company profitable (and in that he's succeeding).
    07-20-16 04:47 PM
    Apple and Google don't build their own phones, so why does blackberry have to build theirs. The new Blackberry is not about devices, but rather they are a software company.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-16 05:36 PM
    Apple and Google don't build their own phones, so why does blackberry have to build theirs. The new Blackberry is not about devices, but rather they are a software company.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, but BlackBerry won't be designing either it appears.

But again, I don't think BlackBerry has the market cornered on good design.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-20-16 05:39 PM
    I don't agree that Chen inherited a dead devices business.

It was one that was in very bad shape but not dead.

Chen went from one half hearted devices strategy to another.

The problem is that Chen never focused on the device itself. If he had set out to make a truly great device, and had he marketed it properly, and had his expectations been properly tempered, things could have turned around. All it would have taken was one hit phone.

07-20-16 05:41 PM
    All it would have taken was one hit phone.

But what does a hit phone even mean in the absence of an ecosystem - because THAT certainly died before Chen.
    JeepBB, kbz1960 and Mecca EL like this.
    07-20-16 05:46 PM
    It didn't have to be a BB10 phone. It could have been Android. It just needed to be a hit.

07-20-16 06:13 PM
    Yes, but BlackBerry won't be designing either it appears.

But again, I don't think BlackBerry has the market cornered on good design.
    That's the beauty of the knowledge based economy. You don't have to make your own widgets, you just need to be able to tell someone else how to make them for you.

Posted via BlackBerry Priv STV100-1
    07-20-16 06:46 PM
    07-20-16 06:49 PM
    I'd disagree to certain point. More specifically, it's at odds with what BB's consumer demographic interpreted or expected. Not with what BB has been offering. Whether consumers were able to recognize it or not, well that's up to each person to accept or not. BB was never about locked down security. It has always been about "monitored security". Not quite the same thing.
    What I mean is Chen is criticizing Apple's end to end encryption when BB also has end to end encryption.

If BB is served a subpoena for BES messages, they cannot decrypt those. That makes BB's position exactly the same as Apple's.

So what exactly is Chen criticizing Apple for again?
    07-20-16 06:52 PM
215 123 ...